ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Nebraska go from here?

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
Seriously? We have Frost standing up for his players and going against the B1G, "sit down and shut up" mentality. You have national media bashing Neb non stop. You have former B1G players saying Nebraska should be kicked out. Now we have Nebraska players filing a law suit against them. Where does Nebraska and its B1G relations go from here? As I mentioned earlier thats like a child suing his parents, and expecting family events to go on as if nothing happened.
Can Nebraska and the B1G continue on after all this and have a normal functioning relationship? I just don't see how. I would think both sides would want to be done with the other at this point.

9104518.jpg

Seriously? We have Frost standing up for his players and going against the B1G, "sit down and shut up" mentality. You have national media bashing Neb non stop. You have former B1G players saying Nebraska should be kicked out. Now we have Nebraska players filing a law suit against them. Where does Nebraska and its B1G relations go from here? As I mentioned earlier thats like a child suing his parents, and expecting family events to go on as if nothing happened.
Can Nebraska and the B1G continue on after all this and have a normal functioning relationship? I just don't see how. I would think both sides would want to be done with the other at this point.
I think the narrative has changed. The B1G is looking more and more like s sh!t show every day and getting lots of negative attention. I think the public, students and fans are supporting what we're doing. I think we were an easy target due to our struggles but once other teams got on board that discussion ended quickly. I think we're going to come out on the right side of this one and the B1G is looking terrible. Now they may choose to make our schedule very tough and treat us like a red headed stepchild but I think it'll eventually pass over and hopefully we can be more competitive going forward.

When you say the B1G, keep in mind that some of the members are glad that Nebraska players are doing this. Obviously we aren't going to have a warm relationship with the commissioner after this but that doesn't mean the whole conference hates us.

Can’t believe tOSU isn’t making as much fuss over not playing as Nebraska is... They made some attempt but not like Nebraska...

Ioway has also tried with some parents but it isn’t enough push going on from the other members players and families..

I think if this lawsuit has any merit at all, other teams will start their own lawsuits. Then Nebraska will look fine. I haven't been a fan of the B1G since we joined it. Cant we just form an SEC North Division with OSU, Michigan, Iowa, Penn State snd Wisconsin? Maybe MSU as well.

Reactions: TheNewNU

Are media talking heads still bashing Nebraska? I still think B1G and PAC 12 made decision to cancel
Season together. I have no proof, just my opinion.

Bottom line now is if the other 3 Power5 conferences playing long enough without a hitch making Warren decision look foolish and irresponsible...
He will definitely be the fall-guy, but it really should come down equally on the university presidents that were on board originally and pushed for everyone to not play. All they had to do is opt-out of the season and nobody would be outraged outside of their own fanbases. Instead they had to drag us all down with them.

2 weeks ago, we could have replaced the 4 teams that didn't want to play with 4 other opponents most likely. Now its too late.

He will definitely be the fall-guy, but it really should come down equally on the university presidents that were on board originally and pushed for everyone to not play. All they had to do is opt-out of the season and nobody would be outraged outside of their own fanbases. Instead they had to drag us all down with them.
This is exactly why they are trying so hard to keep the vote hidden. If the other conferences play with little to no issues. The B1G and the universities that voted to cancel are going to look very very idiotic and the public will demand heads roll for costing their economies millions. The heads who will roll will be Warren and any president who voted to cancel with little no data to support it. Which is another reason they don't want to turn over the data used to make the decision, there was none.

This is exactly why they are trying so hard to keep the vote hidden. If the other conferences play with little to no issues. The B1G and the universities that voted to cancel are going to look very very idiotic and the public will demand heads roll for costing their economies millions. The heads who will roll will be Warren and any president who voted to cancel with little no data to support it. Which is another reason they don't want to turn over the data used to make the decision, there was none.
Warren should have used his leadership position to work with the schools that want to play, and work with the media on how to handle the rights/dispersement to schools. It wouldn't have been that hard to make it work. The opt-out schools could have been given the opportunity to opt back in as well if we had left certain weekends open for each team.

Reactions: scarletred
I think if this lawsuit has any merit at all, other teams will start their own lawsuits. Then Nebraska will look fine. I haven't been a fan of the B1G since we joined it. Cant we just form an SEC North Division with OSU, Michigan, Iowa, Penn State snd Wisconsin? Maybe MSU as well.
Ahhhhhhhh.....will be an 0fer....

Can’t believe tOSU isn’t making as much fuss over not playing as Nebraska is... They made some attempt but not like Nebraska...

Ioway has also tried with some parents but it isn’t enough push going on from the other members players and families..
i dont think there is any place in the country where people so depend on watching a football game for their only entertainment in life as nebraska. there are other things to do everywhere else and things that matter to people outside a game. one might argue its a reason not to go to nebraska. Too singularly minded is not good

I’m not really worried about any strain on the ongoing relationship. It’s not ideal certainly, but small potatoes compared to everything else. I can’t imagine there’s that much that they could or would do to retaliate. And frankly even if they’re annoyed, they should respect what Nebraska has been fighting for. They should be aware of the potential backlash that would be faced.

Warren should have used his leadership position to work with the schools that want to play, and work with the media on how to handle the rights/dispersement to schools. It wouldn't have been that hard to make it work. The opt-out schools could have been given the opportunity to opt back in as well if we had left certain weekends open for each team.
100%. I think had he know the backlash that was to come he would have. He believed all would just put up with this BS and ask no questions.
What should have been done. All presidents should have had meetings and got input from their ADs, coaches and local health officials to see where all stood on playing safely. Then if the official vote was to cancel the B10 season, officially make an announcement that the season will be canceled. List those who voted no publicly, no reason for presidents to hide behind Warren if their vote was based on facts and input from their ADs and coaches. Also announce that those universities who voted to keep playing were free to schedule games with whoever they see fit and would be considered an independent for the year. With no affiliation to the B1G. This frees the B1G from any liability, yet still giving the right for schools and athletes to choose.

Reactions: chipotlehusker
Was there even a vote? Straw poll maybe but I ll be surprised if the university heads went along with it but might have been smart enough to not put anything on paper making Warren the fall guy. If so, Warren is still an idiot

i dont think there is any place in the country where people so depend on watching a football game for their only entertainment in life as nebraska. there are other things to do everywhere else and things that matter to people outside a game. one might argue its a reason not to go to nebraska. Too singularly minded is not good
tenor.gif

Reactions: timnsun
I take it you don't file a NE tax return

And the looser is? Big Red

I think the narrative has changed. The B1G is looking more and more like s sh!t show every day and getting lots of negative attention. I think the public, students and fans are supporting what we're doing. I think we were an easy target due to our struggles but once other teams got on board that discussion ended quickly. I think we're going to come out on the right side of this one and the B1G is looking terrible. Now they may choose to make our schedule very tough and treat us like a red headed stepchild but I think it'll eventually pass over and hopefully we can be more competitive going forward.
just wait until the next round of conference negotiations when a weak commissioner gets bent over for the tv deal..

this conference was a bad move from the beginning, and we had a chance to get out of it. Maybe still, but the administration still wants to suckle the B1G tit.

You either had to step out and give them the middle finger or eat a big humble sandwich.. which isn't going down too well with the addition of lawsuits and such now.

Maybe we can get kicked out. That would be fine with me.

I agree as far as the PAC12 and the B1G unity thing. I also think both are probably the biggest liberal/ democratic conferences in the country. I have little to no doubt the decision to cancel football was politically based. So it is of little surprise that both followed each other in this decision. That leads back to, well does Nebraska really fit in with the B1G and its political mindset as a whole? There may be a reason we are the only school standing up and speaking out the loudest.
If we had been in the Big 12 or SEC and football was shut down, I bet the majority of schools would be throwing a fit and fighting back.

Thought you left the Big 8 or 12 because you couldn’t be the top dog there

Wow, this was a surprise but didn’t you come to the B10 because of Texas? Now you want to trash the BIG

I’m gone

Wow, this was a surprise but didn’t you come to the B10 because of Texas? Now you want to trash the BIG

I’m gone
Who’s trashing the B1G? It’s not husker fans... it’s guys like Scott Van Pelt.

And it’s a surprise that an opposing fan starting crap is receiving crap in return? What are you, 7? Have you never been on an opposing message board before?

I’m not really worried about any strain on the ongoing relationship. It’s not ideal certainly, but small potatoes compared to everything else. I can’t imagine there’s that much that they could or would do to retaliate. And frankly even if they’re annoyed, they should respect what Nebraska has been fighting for. They should be aware of the potential backlash that would be faced.
Exactly, what are they going to do? Have us keep playing Ohio State every season as a crossover?

Sometimes we branch out and watch scrimmages, too.

Because that really is what all of this is about, nothing else matters to the fans outside of playing a game. It would have best for you to stop at “I don’t think.” Does someone still cut
your food up for you before giving you your dinner?

People still dont get it.

Say it with me brother, ok?

WARREN *clap* DID *clap* NOT *clap* WANT *clap* A *clap* SEASON

You are absolutely correct, but I dont get why anyone would have the notion Warren was handcuffed here. Warren steered the ship. According to BTN ADs in a penn state article, ADs werent invited to discussions and Warren didnt present their case as is his JOB. He did not want a season, plain and simple.

If the decision PROVES to have been a political tool, then I say whatever conference would like to take Nebraska.

Once we get past the virus next year, this issue won't matter much to Nebraska IMO (other than of course the financial damage that was inflicted). But as far as Nebraska's standing in the B1G, the B1G never considered Nebraska's voice to carry much weight in decision-making any way before any of this virus stuff. Nebraska never has had much influence. And they won't again in the future. And they wouldn't have either even if they had voted for a shut down. So in reality not much changes in the medium or longer term for Nebraska.

I'd say the biggest outcome of all this is the damage to the B1G's national reputation and Warren's personal reputation. Warren likely is a goner IMO and damaged goods in the executive job market. Maybe he didn't control or make the actual decision but his PR skills have been a disaster handling the fallout.

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
All this november stuff says is this:
“We’re too proud and cowardly to admit we were wrong. Here’s a bone, shut up, dogs.”

If you can play in November, you can play in September.
**** the B1G.
I think they said November as another Hail Mary hoping for that winter surge in cases that some like to talk about. Then at that point they can say “see we tried, and I don’t think it’ll be better” and wait until next year, thus trying to save their face.

ADVERTISEMENT