ADVERTISEMENT

Where are they now?

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
I wanted to look back on Frost 1st class and see where they are now. I know it has been discussed, but not sure anyone has ever broken it down to see those who are contributing or not. Or if the ones who left are having success elsewhere. If this has already been done I apologize. IF you see anything you know is incorrect please correct, thanks.

Adrain Martinez 4 star, Starting QB- Nebraska

Cameron Jurgens 4 star, Starting Center -Nebraska

Maurice Washington 4 star, Dismissed from the team, no current team

Cam'ron Jones 4 star, transferred to SMU. Not on the 2 deep

Tate Wildeman 4 star, not on 2 deep- Nebraska

Caleb Tannor 4 star, starting OLB- Nebraska

CJ Smith currently in transfer portal

Jaron Woodyard- on the 3 deep WR- Nebraska

Greg Bell- transferred to SDSU, not on the 2 deep, but still on roster

Will Honas- on 2 deep ILB- Nebraska

Deontai Williams- starting S, (hurt this year)- Nebraska

Andre Hunt- dismissed from team

Miles Jones- currently in transfer portal

David Alston- not on 2 deep- Nebraska

Cam Taylor- starting FS- Nebraska

Will Farniok- on 2 deep OC- Nebraska

Casey Rogers- not on 2 deep - Nebraska

Justin McGriff- currently in transfer portal

Katerian Legrone- dismissed from the team

Braxton Clark- 2 deep CB- Nebraska

Mike Williams- 2 deep WR- Nebraska

Barrett Pickering- Starter PK- Nebraska

Dominick Watt- 2 deep WR Garden City CC (never made in on campus for Neb)

Willie Canty- not on any current team.

I wanted to look back on Frost 1st class and see where they are now. I know it has been discussed, but not sure anyone has ever broken it down to see those who are contributing or not. Or if the ones who left are having success elsewhere. If this has already been done I apologize. IF you see anything you know is incorrect please correct, thanks.

Adrain Martinez 4 star, Starting QB- Nebraska

Cameron Jurgens 4 star, Starting Center -Nebraska

Maurice Washington 4 star, Dismissed from the team, no current team

Cam'ron Jones 4 star, transferred to SMU. Not on the 2 deep

Tate Wildeman 4 star, not on 2 deep- Nebraska

Caleb Tannor 4 star, starting OLB- Nebraska

CJ Smith currently in transfer portal

Jaron Woodyard- on the 3 deep WR- Nebraska

Greg Bell- transferred to SDSU, not on the 2 deep, but still on roster

Will Honas- on 2 deep ILB- Nebraska

Deontai Williams- starting S, (hurt this year)- Nebraska

Andre Hunt- dismissed from team

Miles Jones- currently in transfer portal

David Alston- not on 2 deep- Nebraska

Cam Taylor- starting FS- Nebraska

Will Farniok- on 2 deep OC- Nebraska

Casey Rogers- not on 2 deep - Nebraska

Justin McGriff- currently in transfer portal

Katerian Legrone- dismissed from the team

Braxton Clark- 2 deep CB- Nebraska

Mike Williams- 2 deep WR- Nebraska

Barrett Pickering- Starter PK- Nebraska

Dominick Watt- 2 deep WR Garden City CC (never made in on campus for Neb)

Willie Canty- not on any current team.

Funny how some people call that class a failure but there's an awful lot of them that are contributing after year 2.

It happens at all schools but it is just amazing how many highly rated recruits never wind up seeing the field and are gone before long. That's one reason why you have to take those recruiting class rankings with a huge grain of salt. Lot's of kids just don't pan out.

It happens at all schools but it is just amazing how many highly rated recruits never wind up seeing the field and are gone before long. That's one reason why you have to take those recruiting class rankings with a huge grain of salt. Lot's of kids just don't pan out.
Agree it does, and the transfer portal is just making it worse. The difference is the top schools have another 4 or 5 star or 2 to replace the 4 or 5 star guys that don't pan out. So they don't notice it as much. At Nebraska if we have a 4 star guy that doesn't work out odds are we are having to roll with a 3 star guy.

Reactions: Husker4real
Appreciate the breakdown.

I think this speaks to why you need so many 4 star recruits. Since some of them never contribute, you’d like to backfill with another 4 star, rather than a 3 star or walk on.

Reactions: TheBeav815
On average, about half of any recruiting class will fail to contribute in any meaningful way. Injuries are the most frequent reason, but homesickness, grades, legal issues, playing time, etc. are factors as well. It's pretty rare that a guy is a complete bust as an athlete, which is why the tutors and advisers in the academic support unit are so important. They're fighting to keep these guys on campus.

Funny how some people call that class a failure but there's an awful lot of them that are contributing after year 2.

What is the definition of "awful lot"? In a normal cycle on a good team would some of these be starting? I would venture not many.

Seems like some of these guys have been in the portal forever.. no?

Yeah- I was thinking this if a lot of these guys’ transfer opportunities fizzle. That’s something that will help keep the process in check. Coaches can point to how many guys enter the portal and never come out. But the whole thing has been too “new”.

Reactions: husker2612
Actually I bet your right. Came in as a AZ western cc guy. Believe he played 2 years there. Had 2 left 2018 1. 2019 2
Did he maybe not get into four games this year and could use it as a redshirt? I know he did not play very much... far less than last season even though we were really hurting at WR

Reactions: husker2612
Yeah- I was thinking this if a lot of these guys’ transfer opportunities fizzle. That’s something that will help keep the process in check. Coaches can point to how many guys enter the portal and never come out. But the whole thing has been too “new”.
From my very quick count looks as if there are a couple hundred guys in the portal with no homes.

I wonder how many regret their choice to leave and enter the portal?
correct me if I’m wrong but just because you put your name on the portal it doesn’t mean you have to transfer...

But with that said I’m willing to bet most the kids that are in the portal went in because they were not good enough to cut it at their current university... so it actually benefitted the team to lose that player and they most likely wouldn’t take them back

I wonder how many regret their choice to leave and enter the portal?
I would bet all. I didn't see I was in the 2019 portal. There over 500 "unclaimed" in the 2020 portal. I would bet all regret it, but this is the result of the participation trophy. Kids feel they deserve everything given, they don't want to work for greatness. So when things get tough or they don't get what they want, they feel it is somebody else fault. If they can just go to a different team they will succeed. They soon find out that no body else wants them, they are not as great as they thought and now they are stuck in no mans land. It might help deter kids from entering, knowing they might now get out.

Reactions: Clemke32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT