ADVERTISEMENT

When will espn investigate sec schools?

Cornmaker

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Nov 26, 2007
It seems like espn is really focused on covering the dirt of B1G schools, but in 2015, 11 of 14 SEC schools were in the top 25 schools with the most arrests, while the B1G had only Iowa and Michigan.

Last edited:
Players getting arrested is pretty much old hat. Pedophilia cover ups, domestic abuse cover ups, and killing one of your players pretty much demands coverage.

Thats a great point. 18-21 year olds do dumb stuff. Some more than others. Their enviroments growing up can play a part in that. I’m not condoning any illegal behavior but dumb stuff happens.

When the crimes are committed by people who are alleged role models and mentors to these young men, and the crimes are of the nature you mention, things go to an entirely new level. And as the saying goes, the cover up is worse than the crime.

Also, before “ that guy” chimes in with “
But but but Tom Osborne did this and Bob Devaney did this”, yeah I know.

ESPN is an entertainment network not a news network - the "N" doesn't stand for news. It is a business. ESPN has a business arrangement with the SEC - why would any business devote resources - financial, human capital, etc investigating something that might harm itself. I'm pretty sure no one here who runs a business is hiring people to investigate themselves and then reporting any negative findings to the media.

The person who investigated this story isn't from ESPN and the PSU, MSU, Maryland and OSU scandals have made national news which is why ESPN has reported it. If they thought it was news worthy to investigate the SEC a major news network might devote resources to it. It is ridiculous to think ESPN should. Besides recruiting violations that revolve around cash payments or other benefits isn't really news worthy - people don't care. In fact many believe these athletes should be getting paid anyway. Likewise athletes getting arrested for minor offenses isn't newsworthy.

ESPN benefits from college football outside the SEC as well. The also have significant business relationships with the NFL and MLB. They are, at times, critical of these, just as they are with college football - but not to the point of investigating things that might cause significant harm. In fact many personalities have been told to back off if they are becoming too critical.

I don't understand why ESPN or any business should be expected to investigate entities on which they have built their financial success. Their job is to promote their business - that's why many big businesses have marketing branches. Sean Callahan doesn't devote his time looking for stories that might paint Nebraska in a poor light.

Besides, I have read on here, multiple times how no one watches ESPN anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
The NCAA isn't a law enforcement agency. They have zero resources or authority to investigate boosters paying recruits to sign scholarship offers to one school or another. Their penalties are based on self-reporting by schools, of which they have near zero incentive to do so.

It isn't illegal for a person to give another person a gift, or to sell them a car at a deep discount, or to give their mom a cushy job. As long as both parties are discreet, what are the odds it is going to have negative consequences?

Everybody assumes the SEC schools are cheating, but even when their players post photos with cash and Camaros, nothing happens. Oh, sorry, Dodge Chargers...

derrick-henry-dodge-charger.jpg

This is why Nebraska Basketball needs to start cheating. Major upside, zero downside.

The NCAA isn't a law enforcement agency. They have zero resources or authority to investigate boosters paying recruits to sign scholarship offers to one school or another. Their penalties are based on self-reporting by schools, of which they have near zero incentive to do so.

It isn't illegal for a person to give another person a gift, or to sell them a car at a deep discount, or to give their mom a cushy job. As long as both parties are discreet, what are the odds it is going to have negative consequences?

Everybody assumes the SEC schools are cheating, but even when their players post photos with cash and Camaros, nothing happens. Oh, sorry, Dodge Chargers...

derrick-henry-dodge-charger.jpg

This is why Nebraska Basketball needs to start cheating. Major upside, zero downside.
Nope the little guy always gets hammered, just ask mark mangino and mike leach they were fired for way lee that what urb has done and he'll continue to coach tosu won't fire there cash cow imo right up there with the sec, well urb di learn all the trick of the trade coaching in Florida

Sec has had problems lately and a lot of turnover. Urban was under fire, Ole Miss lost their coach, Arkansas lost Petrino, that is 3 of the best SEC coaches to leave out of pressure in the last 10 years. And of course Auburn had the cam newton situation. Alabama hasn't been investigated but since they are smarter than everybody at recruiting, coaching, winning...they have likely figured a way to cheat, but not cheat.

I suppose never if the B1G keeps pushing out chimo news stories within it's athletic programs...

Lets not forget the death of a player and rhabdo at a couple of universities as well

It seems like espn is really focused on covering the dirt of B1G schools, but in 2015, 11 of 14 SEC schools were in the top 25 schools with the most arrests, while the B1G had only Iowa and Michigan.

Please post the source for your statement that 11 of 14 SEC schools were in the top 25 schools with the most arrests.

Not all dirt is created equal. Having a doctor on staff for decades that abuse girls athletes because these girls were not protected by the university is not your everyday crime that a student may vomit. Same for a football coach that abused boys inside the coaches office building for decades. University turned a blind eye to this conduct. Not your every day crime. True for a doctor o staff that have male athletes drop their shorts for any medical problem. Have a tooth ache when let’s start by dropping your briefs. University turned a blind eye to this good doctor. Not your every day crime that students may commit. Football players being abused by coaching staff resulting in death. Unusual for sure. Big stories with big head lines. If these things happen in the SEC you know that there would be big headlines. Supporters of any SEC would be screaming for a house cleaning not for a cover up.

Tennessee was drug through the mud on msg boards for wanting to distance themselves from any links to that stuff.

I don't know if the coach knew about the Sandusky stuff but hey, I have a daughter and you can bet your last handful of love I wouldn't hire someone to nanny if they were associated with a group that was involved with child rape.

Call me nuts....

Good for Tennessee in my opinion.

I see that Nebraska was ranked number 26 with 12 arrests. Almost made the top 25. So how do think Nebraska compares to MSU in terms of students being exposed to criminals? Who would have the biggest headlines for arrests?

You're lying, cite your source. (Source cited)

Well some arrests are worser than other arrests. Nebraska was 26th, do you think their indiscretions were as bad as the raping doctor?

This is a text book definition of moving the goal posts. Thank you for your contribution.

You're lying, cite your source. (Source cited)

Well some arrests are worser than other arrests. Nebraska was 26th, do you think their indiscretions were as bad as the raping doctor?

This is a text book definition of moving the goal posts. Thank you for your contribution.
Maybe the troll above is the Rape Dr? Ya never know who's behind the name

ADVERTISEMENT