ADVERTISEMENT

When was the last time........

HUSKERBILL

Sophomore
Sep 10, 2001
When is the last time the Huskers played a Top 10 team and you thought they would (or might) win? For me, never in the Pelini era. Never in the Callahan era. Maybe Solich around 2001?

During the time of those other coaches, I just hoped we wouldn't get embarrassed. Usually we did.

Riley has us believing in Year 1 that we beat the #4 ranked team in the country.

That's progress. And it feels "right". This is how we used to feel guys. Belief in yourself goes a long way to establishing a "program". These kids have never let the wheels fall off. They have always believed they could win. It's a start but it sure feels right again.

I understand where you're coming from, because the colossal failures in 'games that matter' have left pretty noticeable scars. But it hasn't been as long as you might remember.

I think a number of folks were optimistic going into the game last year with Michigan State - and if NU had a better start, they could have pulled that off. Before that, I think you have to go back to 2011. I know many of us were optimistic going into the first ever Big Ten game at Wisconsin. That, of course, ended badly. Ironically, we probably weren't optimistic playing a top ten MSU that year, but ended up beating them in Lincoln. I can't recall whether anyone thought NU could beat South Carolina in the bowl game.

2010 seems like so long ago, but I'm pretty sure most NU fans were very optimistic in the game against Mizzou in Lincoln. MU was ranked 7th at the time, and NU was coming off a nice win at Okie State (who ended up ranked 10th that year). NU had what was probably their most impressive win of the Pelini era. Of course, the whole thing started to spin out of control a few weeks later when NU lost to OU in the CCG - another top 10 opponent who a lot of us were optimistic we'd beat.

Reactions: Corn_Bred
Iowa has basically played our old Big 8 schedule to this point. Not sure why Nebraska fans feel superior about it.

I'm not sure why everybody is dogging Iowa the way they are. Iowa has a good football team. To their credit they have won every game they have played. Like it or not, if we were in the same position as them right now, we'd be puffing our chest and telling you we are a good team as well. Sure their non-con is crap, but they've done what they need to do. I think this Friday is going to be a great game, and I hope the Huskers rise up and beat them. At the end of the day they are #3 in the AP and probably 3 or 4 in the CFP. If we win, its over a highly ranked team who deserves their ranking.

Reactions: Bremser
What part of anything said has been derogatory to Iowa? They are undefeated...swell...GLAD they are...I just don't THINK of them as top 10. They obviously have been voted that.....with reason.

What part of anything said has been derogatory to Iowa? They are undefeated...swell...GLAD they are...I just don't THINK of them as top 10. They obviously have been voted that.....with reason.

Just curious of why wouldn't they be Top 10? Not trolling you, just curious of how an undefeated team in the Big 10 isn't Top 10? or even Top 5 for that matter...

Just curious of why wouldn't they be Top 10? Not trolling you, just curious of how an undefeated team in the Big 10 isn't Top 10? or even Top 5 for that matter...
If I had to guess, It's just because it's Iowa. I think back to Big 8 when Colorado started making noise, and then Kansas State. It was hard to see them in the top 10, at least at first. The more they sustained it, you felt they belonged. I would imagine if Iowa goes on a tear for 3 or 4 seasons, it will be much easier to see them as top 10.

They have earned their ranking this year by the play on the field. They deserve the ranking they have. It's still hard to imagine them being ranked this high, even though they have good seasons here and there.

This is not meant to be a slam against Iowa, take nothing away from them and their amazing season. They deserve everything they have gotten this year!

If I had to guess, It's just because it's Iowa. I think back to Big 8 when Colorado started making noise, and then Kansas State. It was hard to see them in the top 10, at least at first. The more they sustained it, you felt they belonged. I would imagine if Iowa goes on a tear for 3 or 4 seasons, it will be much easier to see them as top 10.

They have earned their ranking this year by the play on the field. They deserve the ranking they have. It's still hard to imagine them being ranked this high, even though they have good seasons here and there.

This is not meant to be a slam against Iowa, take nothing away from them and their amazing season. They deserve everything they have gotten this year!

I agree with that, but to your point they have earned it. If you go back and look at their cycle. They will be average for the next 4 to 5 years. I agree you have to earn your reputation, and Iowa hasn't done that. Nebraska continues to lose theirs year by year. With that said, I hope we knock them off, and in convincing fashion.

I was pretty confident we would beat top 10 Michigan State in 2011 and top 10 Missouri in 2010....

bingo

ADVERTISEMENT