ADVERTISEMENT

When Does the Haarberg Era Begin?

This most likely outcome is Bill O'Brien or someone else comes in and brings in 2 new QB portal transfers to compete for starting job. Smothers has no arm and Haarberg has to be completely re-coached with the basic fundamentals on how a QB plays. Hopefully, Frost and Harry Potter haven't permanently damaged Haarberg with improper QB tendencies.
This makes zero sense. How do we put a kid on scholarship that has no arm?

When transfers are brought in at your position and you're already third team, the writing is on the wall that you'll never play down at quarterback.
Or you’re a dam Redshirt Freshman, and need to be coached up. Geeze. This kid was always going to take time to develop. We didn’t land a finished product when he committed. Not even close. Think he needs work on his throwing but athletically he’s what you want

Or you’re a dam Redshirt Freshman, and need to be coached up. Geeze. This kid was always going to take time to develop. We didn’t land a finished product when he committed. Not even close. Think he needs work on his throwing but athletically he’s what you want
That almost never happens. You climb your way to second team by your senior year and then hope the starter goes down. When he does, you play great and the whole world wonders where you've been this whole time. That's how it usually goes in the movies at least.

If the next set of coaches recruit at the level most fans expect Haarberg will not see many snaps at NU. Projects generally only play if they end up being a huge diamond in the rough or there’s some kind of injury.

I was looking at the espn matchups for Purdue and Illinois, noticing that they both appear to have better QB's than we do. Curious what people think here, cause it seems like we have had crap QB's for a very long time..

I think you have to go back to Zac Taylor to find a legit QB that played for Nebraska. God knows I thought the world of Joe Ganz, but he didn't really fit the mold either.

Why is it that we can't seem to get a decent QB here, yet other schools seemingly have no problem recruiting those kids and actually developing them.

• Wow
Reactions: BleedRed78
I was looking at the espn matchups for Purdue and Illinois, noticing that they both appear to have better QB's than we do. Curious what people think here, cause it seems like we have had crap QB's for a very long time..

I think you have to go back to Zac Taylor to find a legit QB that played for Nebraska. God knows I thought the world of Joe Ganz, but he didn't really fit the mold either.

Why is it that we can't seem to get a decent QB here, yet other schools seemingly have no problem recruiting those kids and actually developing them.
I'd take Casey Thompson over Purdue and Illinois QBs any day

I'd take Casey Thompson over Purdue and Illinois QBs any day
Just by going off the casual graphic, they appear to be more productive.

Screen-Shot-2022-10-06-at-8-50-02-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2022-10-06-at-8-50-20-AM.png

That almost never happens. You climb your way to second team by your senior year and then hope the starter goes down. When he does, you play great and the whole world wonders where you've been this whole time. That's how it usually goes in the movies at least.
But it can happen. His knock is accuracy. His arm strength is solid. He’s a big kid and mobile. It really comes down to if the kids willing to put in work and Whipp thinks it can be done. Accuracy improvement is really only muscle memory. Finding the touch. It’s hard to teach but if the persons willing to work it can be taught.

if he’s only a RFr then a target year of him competing @ Jr year doesn’t make him a bust right now. From what I’ve scene the kids bought in so maybe if he puts in the work he will find the touch. If he finds that, he’d be deadly.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Assuming the tools are there
QBing comes down to decision making

how quickly can one process information

how quickly do they recognize the defense - the blitz - the open areas in the defense

can they identify the route that is going to be open and throw to that space or do they have to wait to see that the actual receiver is open

can they recognize and throw a deep ball when the DB still has 5 yards of cushion but is backpedaling while the WR is running full speed and closing that gap

that’s the difficulty in recruiting QBs - hard to evaluate those traits in high school

Assuming the tools are there
QBing comes down to decision making

how quickly can one process information

how quickly do they recognize the defense - the blitz - the open areas in the defense

can they identify the route that is going to be open and throw to that space or do they have to wait to see that the actual receiver is open

can they recognize and throw a deep ball when the DB still has 5 yards of cushion but is backpedaling while the WR is running full speed and closing that gap

that’s the difficulty in recruiting QBs - hard to evaluate those traits in high school
It’s a crap shoot especially with guys who played at small schools.

But it can happen. His knock is accuracy. His arm strength is solid. He’s a big kid and mobile. It really comes down to if the kids willing to put in work and Whipp thinks it can be done. Accuracy improvement is really only muscle memory. Finding the touch. It’s hard to teach but if the persons willing to work it can be taught.

if he’s only a RFr then a target year of him competing @ Jr year doesn’t make him a bust right now. From what I’ve scene the kids bought in so maybe if he puts in the work he will find the touch. If he finds that, he’d be deadly.
I read more than once that accuracy can't be taught. It's more important than arm strength at any level except the pros where you need both in equal amounts. There are plenty of kids that can chuck a ball a long way but delivering it on target is what matters.

I read more than once that accuracy can't be taught. It's more important than arm strength at any level except the pros where you need both in equal amounts. There are plenty of kids that can chuck a ball a long way but delivering it on target is what matters.
I think accuracy is very difficult to hone in, but not impossible. Case in point is Josh Allen. Big strong kid who's knock was his accuracy with the ball. Now he has a rocket for an arm and a laser sight. His improvement has been remarkable. Not sure what this entails, but with the right work, I guess it can be done.

I think accuracy is very difficult to hone in, but not impossible. Case in point is Josh Allen. Big strong kid who's knock was his accuracy with the ball. Now he has a rocket for an arm and a laser sight. His improvement has been remarkable. Not sure what this entails, but with the right work, I guess it can be done.
Some of a QBs accuracy comes from being familiar with his receivers and having guys who run good routes

@drubendall ....beat me to it. Josh Allen certainly came to mind irt improved accuracy. I was honestly really surprised he turned into the qb he has become.

Exactly. Allen is the one I was think about when people say it can’t be done. Really think a lot of people say “accuracy can’t be taught” because it’s really on the player to find it and hard for the coach to find it.

I know the mad Leach won’t touch a kid that’s inaccurate and he’s not the only coach. Not sure Whipps stance on it so that’s key. Whipp May very well be giving HH very little though. One interesting way I’ve herd coaches teach it is via throwing darts

The NFL seemed to think the issue was with the receivers, looks like they were right.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT