ADVERTISEMENT

When Does the Haarberg Era Begin?

Been screaming for portal for over a year
And….didn’t they get their backup from the portal? Interesting concept
I don’t buy for a second we could not have found a decent portal QB.
There were approx 150 QBs who threw more TDs than our 3 year starter last year, many playing less games, many who were already backups, many from lesser tier schools, many with far less experience.

Not all could hack it, but the idea we could not recruit a single one who could be serviceable is not believable.
Frost was reluctant to admit what he has. I feel really bad for Adrian because he’s a great young man, but it’s not fair to him or the team for a well paid coach to neglect acquiring a serviceable replacement.
Fisher tells his DBs “I’m always going to try to recruit your replacement.”
Frost tells his QB “You won’t ever be replaced.”

One method is not working.

There were approx 150 QBs who threw more TDs than our 3 year starter last year, many playing less games, many who were already backups, many from lesser tier schools, many with far less experience.

Not all could hack it, but the idea we could not recruit a single one who could be serviceable is not believable.
Frost was reluctant to admit what he has. I feel really bad for Adrian because he’s a great young man, but it’s not fair to him or the team for a well paid coach to neglect acquiring a serviceable replacement.

I truly thinks that Frost believes in Adrian in spite of the way he has magnificently failed on so many occasions. I think I would have been beating the bushes promising a QB competition. In reality though, who was out there other than the kid who went to Utah? They had an open job. We had a 3 year starter. We were screwed from the minute Frost named the starter over Gebbia. Something tells me Frost wishes he had that decision to do over. Perhaps the biggest failure though was promising McCaffrey he could play QB and not bringing in a real QB in that class. Sigh. Recruiting recruiting recruiting. Don't bring in a guy with horrible accuracy and expect to fix him.

Honestly. If you look at the box score, you’d think he had a great game. His first half cost us the game. He was putrid.
To think that Belima had the fore thought to go out and get Sitkowski (sp) in the Portal . Heck Peters was to be the man, and when needed look at what they had on the bench.

Frost must be afraid of hurting players feelings. He certianly lacks wisdom and experience.

I truly thinks that Frost believes in Adrian in spite of the way he has magnificently failed on so many occasions. I think I would have been beating the bushes promising a QB competition. In reality though, who was out there other than the kid who went to Utah? They had an open job. We had a 3 year starter. We were screwed from the minute Frost named the starter over Gebbia. Something tells me Frost wishes he had that decision to do over. Perhaps the biggest failure though was promising McCaffrey he could play QB and not bringing in a real QB in that class. Sigh. Recruiting recruiting recruiting. Don't bring in a guy with horrible accuracy and expect to fix him.
Looking back, Frost whiffed by bringing in Vedral who was not going to be an upgrade over Martinez. Then he whiffs with McCaffrey who really wasn't a proven commodity coming out of high school. Their recruitment at the quarterback position has been their biggest weakness. How he can't find someone to play better than Martinez is mind-boggling

Reactions: BleedRed78
They , the boosters, may stop investing soon. Then this is all over.
The boosters and the fans. The sellout streak will end this year and memorial stadium will be half full very soon. Rightfully so. How long do we have to put up with this shit. Hell I’d take any high school coach with experience. Frost is not meant for this.

Looking back, Frost whiffed by bringing in Vedral who was not going to be an upgrade over Martinez. Then he whiffs with McCaffrey who really wasn't a proven commodity coming out of high school. Their recruitment at the quarterback position has been their biggest weakness. How he can't find someone to play better than Martinez is mind-boggling
Vedral coming in was fine. He was a guy who knew the offense well and Frost viewed him as a backup. The biggest problem was naming Adrian the starter as a true freshman over Gebbia. We' had no viable options to Adrian without Gebbia on the roster. You can't recruit QBs with horrible accuracy and expect to fix them in this league.

As bad as AM has played, there are other problems across the board with this team. OL couldn't get it going today, missed extra points, punt return buffoonery, off-target snaps, playing without a sense of urgency while the clock runs, etc. This team shoots itself in the foot way too often. It starts at the top.
True but that "safety" was not called correctly.

Sadly neither was the "roughing" the passer call.

Not that it really matters but still.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78 and nu2u
This is kind of like 2007. Sam Keller and Joe Ganz. We could all see that Keller wasn't getting the job done but it was his job come hell or high water until the injury. That mindset probably did as much to cost Callahan his job as anything because it demoralized the whole team.
You are right. The defense was putrid but Keller was also not getting it done. As soon as Ganz was starter the offense really clicked.

Frost threw his lot in with AM and that bet could very well end his Div-IA coaching career. He appears to have wasted a QB scholy on a guy who nobody says can throw in Smothers and we all saw that Luke McCaffrey was a great athlete but not a QB. 3 scholy QBs that can't throw in 4 seasons.

Frost threw his lot in with AM and that bet could very well end his Div-IA coaching career. He appears to have wasted a QB scholy on a guy who nobody says can throw in Smothers and we all saw that Luke McCaffrey was a great athlete but not a QB. 3 scholy QBs that can't throw in 4 seasons.
A long time ago I was listening to a former NFL GM talk about drafting QBs. He said every coach sees a QB with all of the measurables but poor mechanics and accuracy and they think they can fix him. He said maybe you can help them with their mechanics and improve their accuracy some when they're not under pressure, but when the heat comes they all revert to their natural state. We've recruited QBs who haven't proven their accuracy in high school. I'm not sure what we expect at the P5 level.

As bad as AM has played, there are other problems across the board with this team. OL couldn't get it going today, missed extra points, punt return buffoonery, off-target snaps, playing without a sense of urgency while the clock runs, etc. This team shoots itself in the foot way too often. It starts at the top.
Greg Austin wasnt a very good player and even worst at coaching.Mario ,Just is plan junk coach and cant pick a good QB if his life depended on it.Dont think any of QB's we have are any good.Heck Frost should of took Mckenzie in the portal,but Florida state took him.Frost is going to stick to his piss poor staff and A.M until they fire him.Old Frank S stuck to his QB that played like crap and got fired .

Something to consider. Frost has changed his recruiting strategy for QB's, (at least it seems that way)

Adrian can't throw well
Luke can't throw well
Smothers can't throw well
---------------------------------------------
Haarberg can throw the football.
Torres can throw the football

The question is, did the change in strategy come too late?

Depends..

If you have the gumption to start your new era now.

If you don't want to throw him in the fire like Martinez was, you start putting him in the rotation for EVERY game.

Don't worry about red shirts, you need him to get more experience for next year, and who knows, maybe it becomes apparent that he can handle the job on his own later in the season.

You have made the change in strategy, now you have to follow through and start putting the guys who can throw into the mix.

Something to consider. Frost has changed his recruiting strategy for QB's, (at least it seems that way)

Adrian can't throw well
Luke can't throw well
Smothers can't throw well
---------------------------------------------
Haarberg can throw the football.
Torres can throw the football

The question is, did the change in strategy come too late?

Depends..

If you have the gumption to start your new era now.

If you don't want to throw him in the fire like Martinez was, you start putting him in the rotation for EVERY game.

Don't worry about red shirts, you need him to get more experience for next year, and who knows, maybe it becomes apparent that he can handle the job on his own later in the season.

You have made the change in strategy, now you have to follow through and start putting the guys who can throw into the mix.
It makes absolutely no sense that it took this long to start recruiting QBs that can run the offense. If Smothers can't throw it's time to try him at another position or recommend the portal. Being fast is great but it's massively less important to this offense than being able to reliably hit receivers in stride. Frost recruited guys that might have thrived in the old option offenses, despite bringing an Oregon-style passing game with him to Lincoln.
Haarberg should be given a chance the rest of the season, not as backup but as the starter. Losing to a subpar IL team already establishes the fact that this team will have a losing record. We already know what Martinez can do. Let him transfer out now with two years of eligibility and maybe someone else can fix him.

I think the skill player attrition tells us more than we'd like to admit

@NikkiSixx has been right about AM for 3 years
Yes he has and John you saw the light not long after. I admit I’ve been sucked in every time the kid flashes his potential, but results are all that really matter @ the end of the season. 12-21 and no bowls is all that needs to be said.

looks to me like it's already a half too late

how much longer will Frost beat his head against the same spot on the same wall?
I don't think it will. At least not as long as Frost is here. He and Martinez are one at this point. As long as Frost is here. 2am is the starter.

Has anyone ever thought that Frost made a deal with AM and his parents when he was recruited. I’ve always thought Callahan did with Keller.

Come to Nebraska and you will play as long as you are healthy.

• Angry
It makes absolutely no sense that it took this long to start recruiting QBs that can run the offense. If Smothers can't throw it's time to try him at another position or recommend the portal. Being fast is great but it's massively less important to this offense than being able to reliably hit receivers in stride. Frost recruited guys that might have thrived in the old option offenses, despite bringing an Oregon-style passing game with him to Lincoln.
Haarberg should be given a chance the rest of the season, not as backup but as the starter. Losing to a subpar IL team already establishes the fact that this team will have a losing record. We already know what Martinez can do. Let him transfer out now with two years of eligibility and maybe someone else can fix him.
I think AM will stick around and accept his fate as backup for two reasons:

1.) he doesn’t seem very competitive at all, and has seemingly accepted losing in stride

2.) despite claims on this board that he would be highly sought after, I’m not sure his phone rings too often if he enters the portal. who would want what he can offer?

Haarberg should start on Saturday.

1.) he doesn’t seem very competitive at all, and has seemingly accepted losing in stride

2.) despite claims on this board that he would be highly sought after, I’m not sure his phone rings too often if he enters the portal. who would want what he can offer?

Lol

I totally agree with your last sentence. We should be able to beat Fordham and buffalo with backup QB. Why not get him experience and see if it's a horse to hitch a wagon to

Martinez doesn't need or deserve anymore growing starts. He is what he is. Ain't getting better

There is not a better opportunity to see what Haarberg offers then on Saturday against Fordham. Martinez's feelings don't matter. He's going nowhere. He might be relieved to have the pressure off. If Haarberg flops, put Martinez back in there. It won't matter

I totally agree with your last sentence. We should be able to beat Fordham and buffalo with backup QB. Why not get him experience and see if it's a horse to hitch a wagon to

Martinez doesn't need or deserve anymore growing starts. He is what he is. Ain't getting better
Normally yes but with the way NU beats itself no game is a gimme anymore.

I'm wondering if he'll even get the chance to play after his head coach gets canned for putting an undisciplined, developmentally retarded team on the field.

The only phase of the game that has gotten better year over year is the defense.

We have injuries to look forward to if everything holds up like it has the past 3 years. Not looking good.

Our 6’10” QB recruit from San Antonio had 7 TD passes in the first half. Please fire our QB guru before he has a chance to ruin this guy.

Reactions: JPR95 and NikkiSixx
I think most of the coaches and players would tell you AM gives us our best chance to win. There’s a ton of practice time that none of us get to see where they can evaluate all QB’s on the roster. Having said that, AM needs to be accountable to his blunders. I would have him on a very short leash. What I mean by that is, once he’s blown connecting on x numbers of easy passes or has some kind of turnover, replace him for at least the next series. Playing smart has to be a priority.

I think most of the coaches and players would tell you AM gives us our best chance to win. There’s a ton of practice time that none of us get to see where they can evaluate all QB’s on the roster. Having said that, AM needs to be accountable to his blunders. I would have him on a very short leash. What I mean by that is, once he’s blown connecting on x numbers of easy passes or has some kind of turnover, replace him for at least the next series. Playing smart has to be a priority.
There is no bigger pile of horseshit than the AM gives us our best chance to win pile

He doesn’t. If he did, we’d maybe actually, you know, win

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
what scares me is that AM2 could/probably be back next year. I just can't take him or these offensive coaches any more.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
It makes absolutely no sense that it took this long to start recruiting QBs that can run the offense.
Here is how it makes sense.. Frost can't really throw either, and TO told him he was a QB at the next level, and Scott had to switch to safety to have an NFL career, but he sees this in Adrian, and come hell or high water, he is going to prove once and for all, the he (AM vicariously) is a legit QB.

In some sort of twisted way, that is how it makes sense.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Here is how it makes sense.. Frost can't really throw either, and TO told him he was a QB at the next level, and Scott had to switch to safety to have an NFL career, but he sees this in Adrian, and come hell or high water, he is going to prove once and for all, the he (AM vicariously) is a legit QB.

In some sort of twisted way, that is how it makes sense.
Nary a month has gone by over the last 2+ years where Frost hasn’t said how much he sees himself in Adrian & how much he feels for him

This most likely outcome is Bill O'Brien or someone else comes in and brings in 2 new QB portal transfers to compete for starting job. Smothers has no arm and Haarberg has to be completely re-coached with the basic fundamentals on how a QB plays. Hopefully, Frost and Harry Potter haven't permanently damaged Haarberg with improper QB tendencies.

Against Fordham, play Smothers for a half, Haarberg for a half.

Do it again vs Buffalo (although that could be a close game).

Whichever one plays the best in those two games gets the start at OU.

If both royally suck eggs, you can go back to Martinez.

But at least you tried SOMETHING....

ADVERTISEMENT