ADVERTISEMENT

When Does the Haarberg Era Begin?

I'm wondering if he'll even get the chance to play after his head coach gets canned for putting an undisciplined, developmentally retarded team on the field.

The only phase of the game that has gotten better year over year is the defense.

We have injuries to look forward to if everything holds up like it has the past 3 years. Not looking good.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
The worst part of this whole thing, is the self confidence virus now spreads to the rest of the team.

We are better than this, and could still put a season together with a different QB.

But when you spread this kind of self confidence doubt among the team, your players inherently feel it and know it, and want out. They transfer out. And that is what has been happening.

Frost has really screwed himself. No doubt he thinks he could mold Turnover Martinez into Marcus Mariotta. He would not bring in someone to compete with him. Here we are, in year 4 and we have no real QB depth, so he'll let his QB crash the team plane into a mountain instead. The plane cannot pull up.

Hopefully in about 20 minutes.
Shit another person thinks how to coach.Last year people said let Luke M in and it didnt go to well either.The fans cried we want Bo and he was a bust ,then We want Frost and see hows thats going.Frost will be here next year also,because his buyout is too much.

Shit another person thinks how to coach.Last year people said let Luke M in and it didnt go to well either.The fans cried we want Bo and he was a bust ,then We want Frost and see hows thats going.Frost will be here next year also,because his buyout is too much.
Luke won half his games as a starter, and at least he had an excuse for losing to ILL last year (2nd ever start, not a QB, etc.)

AM continuing to start is equivalent to waving the white flag

The answer to the original question is however soon Frost is out the door.
There’s no excuse for what we saw today.

Time to cut the chord.
I wanted Frost to succeed more than anything, but it’s time to face reality. He’s unfortunately not the guy.

Reactions: Tornadosoul7
I don’t see the point of continuing with AM if it’s going to be another losing season. I guess I do see the point if you believe that 4-5 wins vs 2-3 wins means you get to be a P5 head coach for another season. This will be his last stint in that capacity, and it’s not that Nebraska somehow ruined him. He was just exposed as a not fundamentally good head football coach, that had previously gotten lucky. He would have under achieved at Florida, and been fired.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I’m feeling particularly negative at the moment… Haarberg should be at least second string. If Smothers is first string, Haarberg is second. Put Martinez at the end of the bench. This is Illinois. ILLINOIS. He is terrible. And if he’s not ready for game one against Illinois, let’s lose with someone else getting experience.
Game should've been over the moment we knocked out their starter

Honestly. If you look at the box score, you’d think he had a great game. His first half cost us the game. He was putrid.

Honestly. If you look at the box score, you’d think he had a great game. His first half cost us the game. He was putrid.
don't worry

there will be plenty who point to his total offense output as reason to keep trotting him out there this week

as with nearly 70% of AM's starts, it ended with an L

I've said it many times. He'll make some great plays and then completely negate them with stupid turnovers. It's like he feels guilty about winning and then self-sabotages

Reactions: dinglefritz
don't worry

there will be plenty who point to his total offense output as reason to keep trotting him out there this week

as with nearly 70% of AM's starts, it ended with an L
What do his teammates think of him? If I was a player and burned hot for winning, this would drive me insane. The kids simply does not belong on the main stage.

There is certainly could be an argument made to Matt Turman-ize the season and put someone out there to just manage the game. Handoff to any one of the three running backs that we played today (and the one running back that we mysteriously did not) and throw some safe routes.

Reactions: BleedRed78
There is certainly could be an argument made to Matt Turman-ize the season and put someone out there to just manage the game. Handoff to any one of the three running backs that we played today (and the one running back that we mysteriously did not) and throw some safe routes.
I don't understand this.

why is it impossible for Haarberg/Smothers to be better than AM, who at this moment is not just the losingest quarterback in all of college football, but also appears to be the most hopeless?

put Haarberg in and go try to win some games for crying out loud

I don't understand this.

why is it impossible for Haarberg/Smothers to be better than AM, who at this moment is not just the losingest quarterback in all of college football, but also appears to be the most hopeless?

I don't know what Haarberg is capable of, but there are no shortage of teams that put freshman out there at quarterback. Feelings be damned. I think you go for broke. Find out if you have something. The current situation is so demoralizing.

I don't understand this.

I think I was agreeing with you that this point in time, you don't need Haarberg/Smothers/Masker to try to win the game. You need a QB that does not lose the game, that can manage the offense and find and hit the open man because we had plenty of open men.

I think I was agreeing with you that this point in time, you don't need Haarberg/Smothers/Masker to try to win the game. You need a QB that does not lose the game, that can manage the offense and find and hit the open man because we had plenty of open men.
yes, nobody does more to cost their team games than Mr Best Chance to Win AM

Reactions: BrighteRed24
This is kind of like 2007. Sam Keller and Joe Ganz. We could all see that Keller wasn't getting the job done but it was his job come hell or high water until the injury. That mindset probably did as much to cost Callahan his job as anything because it demoralized the whole team.

I absolutely think they could have put Haarberg in for a series today. Frost could have sold it as something pre-planned or as a way to sit Martinez for a series.

He would end up hurting Smothers ego, but I'm pretty sure that guy is not the solution or the future.

These things were also sort of tried last year, and I think Frost was willing to make a wholesale change, but after a bad game by Luke, he decided to go back to AM, which was really frustrating.

Every time he does this, he upsets a QB, who then leaves, so you end up with a roster of new guys and scrubs.

The player management from Frost has been a real problem, and it continues to be.

It's like watching your best friend who's lost his mind over a girl and you can't get him to see reality and break up with her.

Are you going to let him continue to ruin the Husker brand? At some point, you have to take the keys away from him and say enough is enough, right?

When they brought Trev in, I think that is what they are starting to do. But in regard to the B1G mouthing off problem last year. How much of the losing and affected ticket sales impacts their choices is probably something that is being calculated as well.

Last edited:
But in regard to the B1G mouthing off problem last year.
The B1G mouthing off problem last year caused us a late hit on the QB penalty after the interception, an offensive PI penalty after a big reception, and possibly an offensive hold against Jurgens. All game changers. The B1G is a tight-knit group of assholes. If you don't at least try to play ball with them, it will cost you. Here's hoping our next coach understands that, because his leash with those turds will be short.

ADVERTISEMENT