ADVERTISEMENT

When does Billy Devaney get canned? Same day as Mike?

Toms Wife

Sophomore
Jan 7, 2017
What has he been doing for the last month to earn any kind of paycheck?

I'm surprised his wiki page states the following: "He soon went onto help ruin said football program similiar to what he did in St Louis. He tried to impose his will and soon turned the program upside down. [6]"

He should have never been hired in the first place. Without him, we don't have the disaster that has been Bob Diaco. He's pulled a lot of other strings that are creating a lot of issues.

Can you elaborate on the strings and issues? At this point I am not willing to accept opinion without fact to back it up. There is so much nonsense going around.

Reactions: husker4life09
Can you elaborate on the strings and issues? At this point I am not willing to accept opinion without fact to back it up. There is so much nonsense going around.
Well, one example is on the offensive line this week. Mike Riley came out and said that there was a good chance that David Knevel would be starting at guard instead of Matt Farniok even though Knevel has never played guard a day in his whole life. There is a couple parents on RSS that have said that this decision is not Cav's decision and has been dictated from someone else, namely Devaney. It has been hinted on RSS by a few people that Devaney has had a hand in a few personnel changes on both sides of the ball that really make no sense. The decision to fire Banker and hire Diaco absolutely did not come from Mike Riley. It seems that Devaney is running this program like a GM in the NFL.

In February, I remember him saying about recruiting, "Screw Michigan and Ohio State. We aren't conceding an inch."

Here we are, 9 months later and we haven't heard a peep out of the guy. What a ridiculous, uninformed hire by Sean Eichorst and the administration. He has been a major culprit in this whole operation and cannot get out of town fast enough. Horrible decisions that have led to empty seats and a team that has given up. Can we start hiring winners please?

BD and MR get canned right away. Diaco before Frost leaves the state of FL to come here. (No way he wants to deal with Psycho Bob face to face...I wouldn't)

He should have never been hired in the first place. Without him, we don't have the disaster that has been Bob Diaco. He's pulled a lot of other strings that are creating a lot of issues.

like what

Give the next coach a chance to assess the situation before hes canned. Lots of rumors to what Devaney has done but no one yet to validate.

BD and MR get canned right away. Diaco before Frost leaves the state of FL to come here. (No way he wants to deal with Psycho Bob face to face...I wouldn't)

Any coaches leftover from MR's staff when Frost gets here:

Billy D collects his checks wearing a ski mask and holding a switch blade.
il_fullxfull.660925789_ixem.jpg

Well, one example is on the offensive line this week. Mike Riley came out and said that there was a good chance that David Knevel would be starting at guard instead of Matt Farniok even though Knevel has never played guard a day in his whole life. There is a couple parents on RSS that have said that this decision is not Cav's decision and has been dictated from someone else, namely Devaney. It has been hinted on RSS by a few people that Devaney has had a hand in a few personnel changes on both sides of the ball that really make no sense. The decision to fire Banker and hire Diaco absolutely did not come from Mike Riley. It seems that Devaney is running this program like a GM in the NFL.

Oh good, some things "came out" but we don't really know from where or whom. Lovely. So I am to believe that Riley is the head coach and responsible for the entire program. He is the boss by all accounts but really isn't, there is someone behind the curtain pulling the strings? A guy that could be fired any time Riley wants is telling coaches who to play? Coaches who know their jobs are on the line every week are listening to someone under them? OK, I've got it now, the FACTS are overwhelming now that you point them out.

Oh good, some things "came out" but we don't really know from where or whom. Lovely. So I am to believe that Riley is the head coach and responsible for the entire program. He is the boss by all accounts but really isn't, there is someone behind the curtain pulling the strings? A guy that could be fired any time Riley wants is telling coaches who to play? Coaches who know their jobs are on the line every week are listening to someone under them? OK, I've got it now, the FACTS are overwhelming now that you point them out.
So many people still want to find a reason to relieve MR of responsibility. I don't care who's idea some of these decisions are but its still on MR. Heck I take ideas from employees and managers all the time. I sure as heck don't blame them if I choose to do it.

So many people still want to find a reason to relieve MR of responsibility. I don't care who's idea some of these decisions are but its still on MR. Heck I take ideas from employees and managers all the time. I sure as heck don't blame them if I choose to do it.

I don't think this absolves Riley of anything in relation to his failures under his tenure and I don't think anyone itt is saying that.

In fact, this is actually just another example of why MR should no longer be the HC at NU. I want an alpha at the head spot, not a yes man.

You'll all be eating crow when RD David Knevel sews up the Outland Trophy in one start!

Here is a segment from Sharp and Benning this morning talking about Billy Devaney. Sharp is gone today and Benning's co host is Mike Schaefer. I believe they talk about Devaney at about the 5 minute mark but talk about too many cooks in the kitchen at NU from the beginning.

I don't care if you believe me or not, but I 100% believe the people who have said this. It has been said that he has called a lot of shots within the program. To be a type of "general manager"/player personnel role. He was hired by Eichorst and you are being short sighted if you think that Riley could have fired Devaney at any time. I don't think that Devaney being hired was a bad idea initially, but has turned out to be a bad thing in the long run.

In no way is Riley absolved of any responsibility of what has happened with this program and I have never said that. In fact, what has come out and has happened this year has made us realize even more of how much he shouldn't be running this program. I am just going with the bigger picture and point out that Riley is just a part of the problem here. Like I said the other day, outside of the fact that Riley isn't a very good coach, there are problems that run way higher within the athletic department that need to be fixed also. There is a whole dynamic that needs to be changed. We've screwed up a lot of hires since TO retired and Bill Byrne left. Hopefully the hiring of Moos is a start and that Moos can help correct what needs to be corrected.

You'll all be eating crow when RD David Knevel sews up the Outland Trophy in one start!
Laughing

In their defense though, the line is a mash unit and I can see them looking to try to get experience on the field. Farniok was beyond bad last Saturday, but so was everyone on the line.

I don't care if you believe me or not, but I 100% believe the people who have said this. It has been said that he has called a lot of shots within the program. To be a type of "general manager"/player personnel role. He was hired by Eichorst and you are being short sighted if you think that Riley could have fired Devaney at any time. I don't think that Devaney being hired was a bad idea initially, but has turned out to be a bad thing in the long run.

In no way is Riley absolved of any responsibility of what has happened with this program and I have never said that. In fact, what has come out and has happened this year has made us realize even more of how much he shouldn't be running this program. I am just going with the bigger picture and point out that Riley is just a part of the problem here. Like I said the other day, outside of the fact that Riley isn't a very good coach, there are problems that run way higher within the athletic department that need to be fixed also. There is a whole dynamic that needs to be changed. We've screwed up a lot of hires since TO retired and Bill Byrne left. Hopefully the hiring of Moos is a start and that Moos can help correct what needs to be corrected.[/QUOTE]

Still no facts to back anything up. Just a "guy" you trust. Riley is the head coach and like all head coaches things start and end with him. He does not have to listen to anyone else in making his decisions on the field. He lives and dies with the decision he makes. Could he ask for input from others? Certainly, but it is just one part if the equation. Think about the implications of what you are suggesting: Moos, well Mike you know the team hasn't played real well. Mike, yes I know but it is all because I was told what to do, how to coach, who to play and recruit by someone else. Moos, oh so it really isn't your fault then Mike, you were just following the commands of someone lower on the food chain. So we just need to fire this guy and give you the right position of being the head coach. Yea right.

Worked out pretty well when they did the same thing with Zach Sterup. I didnt realize Knevel was available to play since getting hurt at the start of the season.

How come no one knows what Devaney's real role is/was. I assume that in college the head coach calls the shots...especially one that has as much experience as Riley. The idea that Riley would come here and be told who would be hired and fired as his assistants doesn't seem credible.

I could be wrong but I can't see any head coach wanting to abide by this.

P.S. Does anyone know if the AD says you need to fire someone and you say "no," does that put you in breach of contract?

After Eichorst reportedly said to other NU coaches to watch football practice because "Diaco is the best coach on campus," would you really put it past him to have hired Devaney to micromanage the program? I 100% believe it to be possible.

Reactions: kaz36
Scott Frost has a lot of negotiating leverage right now. He can pretty much pick his job at this point. So if I'm him, I'm going to demand full control over the football program. Full control over the assistant coaching staff, recruiting staff, strength staff, etc. right down to what cuts of meat are served at the training table on Tuesday nights.

If the AD doesn't want to give up that kind of control, then there is a risk that some decisions out of my control could harm the result on the field, for which I am ultimately responsible. With the exception of criminal behavior or a scandal that harms the reputation of the university, the AD has to keep their hands out of my business.

This kind of Devaney stuff mentioned above, where someone is actively meddling in recruiting decisions, depth chart decisions, etc. while the team suffers a humiliating losing season...is completely unacceptable. Hope the dude is handed a box of his stuff five minutes after the Iowa game.

How come no one knows what Devaney's real role is/was. I assume that in college the head coach calls the shots...especially one that has as much experience as Riley. The idea that Riley would come here and be told who would be hired and fired as his assistants doesn't seem credible.

P.S. Does anyone know if the AD says you need to fire someone and you say "no," does that put you in breach of contract?

What is "Billy's" reported salary?

After Eichorst reportedly said to other NU coaches to watch football practice because "Diaco is the best coach on campus," would you really put it past him to have hired Devaney to micromanage the program? I 100% believe it to be possible.
Devaney was hired by Eichorst to micromanage the football program. I don't see why this is so hard for everyone to comprehend or even believe if they truly thought that Eichorst was the devil that they said he was.

If the AD doesn't want to give up that kind of control, then there is a risk that some decisions out of my control could harm the result on the field, for which I am ultimately responsible. With the exception of criminal behavior or a scandal that harms the reputation of the university, the AD has to keep their hands out of my business.

This kind of Devaney stuff mentioned above, where someone is actively meddling in recruiting decisions, depth chart decisions, etc. while the team suffers a humiliating losing season...is completely unacceptable. Hope the dude is handed a box of his stuff five minutes after the Iowa game.
Tom gave Bo that kind of power over the hiring and firing of his assistants. That's why Bo could tell Tom "if he goes I go:" when Tom told him to fire Carl. Eventually Tom got him to do it (found him a different job) a year later. Actually Mary Pat might have been the one to make that call because she was tired of him sleeping in her basement. We should have been able to fire Carl for all the off the field crap he was pulling but we couldn't. The AD has to have some level of control over the staff.

Scott Frost has a lot of negotiating leverage right now. He can pretty much pick his job at this point. So if I'm him, I'm going to demand full control over the football program. Full control over the assistant coaching staff, recruiting staff, strength staff, etc. right down to what cuts of meat are served at the training table on Tuesday nights.

Name a head coach who doesn't have all of that? Aside from the cuts of meat that is.

Devaney was hired by Eichorst to micromanage the football program. I don't see why this is so hard for everyone to comprehend or even believe if they truly thought that Eichorst was the devil that they said he was.

So you are telling us that Eichorst hired someone for 300K to watch a HC making 3 mil and make all the decisions and pull the strings? Eichorst was his own worst enemy but he would be beyond anything stupid to do this. I don't even know HS or small coaches who would do this.

So you are telling us that Eichorst hired someone for 300K to watch a HC making 3 mil and make all the decisions and pull the strings? Eichorst was his own worst enemy but he would be beyond anything stupid to do this. I don't even know HS or small coaches who would do this.
Yes.

To be totally honest, do you know exactly what everyone in the athletic depart does? Is that really for us to know in detail.

I am not defending the guy, I know little about what he does or ever did. There are enough conspiracy theories to go around the program.

The reality for me if this insinuation of Devaney is true and SE put in a hierarchy where he is calling the shots (I still do not believe it) then you can't hold Riley responsible for everything in the program. He was merely a puppet on the string. Riley's argument to Moos is he was never allowed to build a team and play the players he wanted to play. That is why I find the entire situation a little hard to believe, no, really hard to believe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT