ADVERTISEMENT

when do we get a qb for '16?

No information on this...but I really hope it's soon. Our current crop of QB's are not going to have the skills necessary to run the offense this staff wants to run. I just hope that Nebraska fans realize this and don't freak out if we don't win 9 games every year right out of the gate....hard to win if you don't have a serviceable QB.

No idea when we'll get a qb commit.

Brandon Peters is the only target I know of and he's supposed to be coming to the spring game. Maybe those closer to the program know of other qb targets.

Originally posted by shine003:
No information on this...but I really hope it's soon. Our current crop of QB's are not going to have the skills necessary to run the offense this staff wants to run. I just hope that Nebraska fans realize this and don't freak out if we don't win 9 games every year right out of the gate....hard to win if you don't have a serviceable QB.
I dont totally agree. I think Bush and Stanton can run this type of offense, are they NFL qb's? by no means but they are capable of running mike rileys offense I believe so.

Originally posted by bomber89:

I dont totally agree. I think Bush and Stanton can run this type of offense, are they NFL qb's? by no means but they are capable of running mike rileys offense I believe so.
Pretty bold statement about two guys who have never played a snap of college football and are still taking reps behind TA.

We won nine games a year with a maniac at the helm that couldn't stop most teams with a pulse. Pretty sure we'll be at nine wins at a minimum with this crew!

Heard someone say we were after the #1 player in the country. And at least according to this site we are:

Jacob Eason already committed to Georgia, maybe our staff can flip him.

Originally posted by nebcountry:

Heard someone say we were after the #1 player in the country. And at least according to this site we are:

Kind of odd that he lives in the state of Washington and committed to Georgia.

Originally posted by nebcountry:

BoBo isn't he no longer at Georgia? ... He committed back last July, it's worth a shot.

Originally posted by balsy:
and how highly rated? Tia
I noticed nobody has given you a direct response to your question yet. I think it is scheduled that we are getting Peters from Indiana on Thursday, April 16th, noonish central time. He's a 4 star.

Your statement seems bolder in response to a reasonable qb. I am not going to look it up; but I bet Stantons press out of hs, matches the 3rd team qb of tOSU from last year; likely exceeds. I want the crystal ball some are using; to project players career potential with such self assured dither. ........ We do have qb's on this team. They have already been through the big filter of recruiting battles; we had a few big wins there. Imo we now have the coaching to maximize abilities; of course a big part is the player making the jump. No matter what happens we will see some good to great qb's; and some we recruit won't come. a quarter or more of top rated recruits don't work out after 2 years; many factors there, our coaches are looking for who they can develop to the highest level. Coach has taken lowly rated qb's to all conference; they will have an easier time recruiting here, especially with a good number of wins this year.

Originally posted by dockentwo:
Your statement seems bolder in response to a reasonable qb. I am not going to look it up; but I bet Stantons press out of hs, matches the 3rd team qb of tOSU from last year; likely exceeds. I want the crystal ball some are using; to project players career potential with such self assured dither. ........ We do have qb's on this team. They have already been through the big filter of recruiting battles; we had a few big wins there. Imo we now have the coaching to maximize abilities; of course a big part is the player making the jump. No matter what happens we will see some good to great qb's; and some we recruit won't come. a quarter or more of top rated recruits don't work out after 2 years; many factors there, our coaches are looking for who they can develop to the highest level. Coach has taken lowly rated qb's to all conference; they will have an easier time recruiting here, especially with a good number of wins this year.
new offer to a kid from Florida. THAT is the right way to get a kid to commit. Pressure only in the sense that he knows you are only taking one and there's somebody else out there that you like. We put all of our eggs in one basket too many times only to get burned near the end of the cycle (ie Gabbert etc.)

I think the lack of offers means this staff likes one of the younger guys we currently have. so they might be being selective with who they offer.

Originally posted by huskermike20:
I think the lack of offers means this staff likes one of the younger guys we currently have. so they might be being selective with who they offer.
I've got a bet on Riley and Langsdorf making AJ Bush an eventual 3rd round or better NFL draft pick. The kid has all the physical tools and Riley is a quarterback whisperer. I think it will be a very mutually beneficial match.

I think I read somewhere (maybe the Lincoln Journal) that the staff only intends on adding one QB to the roster this year. So ... if those on here are correct who say that none of our current QB's can run the offense Riley wants to run, then I am shocked he would only take one QB this year. Riley must have SOME confidence that one of the guys currently on roster has what it takes to at least run his offense with a modicum of proficiency. And please do not tell me that it is a "numbers game" and there are already too many scholarship QB's so you cannot add more. The QB position is the most important position on the entire football team. You build a team around your QB. And any coach worth their salt knows, therefore, that you need to move heaven and earth to get that QB you need in the system. I think some on here underestimate the talent of some of our current guys and the ability of Riley to coach them into his system. And remember people, this is college, not pro. Very few teams have the next Tom Brady on their roster. The majority of college teams settle for a QB who is a "game manager". A few more have a QB who is a cut above and can make athletic plays. But only a handful of teams have a "star" at QB. I for one think we are going to be pleasantly surprised by how well our guys play under this new staff.

This post was edited on 3/29 8:32 AM by Pennsyhusker

Imo, Nebraska will take a National QB recruit and may also sign Alec Cromer from Beatrice if there is enough room.

Originally posted by Cornicator:
Imo, Nebraska will take a National QB recruit and may also sign Alec Cromer from Beatrice if there is enough room.
I agree. Cromer looks like one of the better QB's to come out of Nebraska in a few years. I really hope he gets an offer.

ADVERTISEMENT