ADVERTISEMENT

When did you lose respect for Miles?

Dean Pope

Head Coach
Oct 11, 2001
When did you lose respect for Miles as a coach?

I lost respect for Miles after two events... One was when he kicked his team out of the locker room a few years ago and they quit on him. The second was a picture he took with an opposing coach before an early season shoot out tournament. He was posing with a coaching buddy, goofing around and he pretended to be punching the guy in the balls. Of course, his buddy's team beat us that day. Does anyone else remember this?

Miles's bottomless pit of cornpone humor doesn't make me dislike or disrespect him, but I am amazed at the number of people who are enthralled by it.

Reactions: Garrity37
Really? Never...dude took a job that set him up for life that was offered TO him...another man went to him and offered him a lotto ticket and said "if you want this, sign here"

He didn't come here with some amazing coaching resume. Every fan that wanted to see could see what NU was getting.

If the Dallas Cowboys offered me the HC job tomorrow...I would take it...I would lose a lot of games...and I would be a rich ass man.

Respecting him and thinking he is a good coach are different things

Never thought he was a great coach. Respected him until about 2 min ago when I heard what he said on that podcast about still being a millionaire if he gets fired

Did he really say that? I would fire his ass tonight if I was the AD. Nice guy, average coach, but if that's what he did say, fire the smarmy bastard.

The year we choked at the BIG tournament final and got embarrassed by Baylor. We (Miles and crew) were exposed as frauds. Nothing has changed.

I don't know if it's a respect thing, but I suppose it was when I discovered he literally has no concrete offensive game plan and can't recruit multiple 4-year higher-percentage shooters at Nebraska.

It baffles me sometimes because at Colorado State, he had a bunch of players like Wes Eikmeier, Pierce Hornung and Jesse Carr and others who could drain shots behind the arc and they got into the NCAA Tournament, one year in 2012 with those players and one year after Tim left. Maybe they were transfer-ins too, but he just isn't cutting it in the Power 5, especially the Big Ten. Unfortunately, looks like we have to hit the reset button again.

Last edited:
respect is earned....he never earned it.....as I have said on here many times...he is a great interview but a terrible coach.

I would say when he used Petteway as a pawn for the oncourt struggles in 2015. Turns out, he was the issue all along.

That, and when I realized he had the brains of a Sunday YMCA coach on the offensive end of the ball.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
For me, it’s not a lack of respect. Instead, he simply has not done enough to keep his job. He is basically a repeat of Collier and Sadler - maybe a notch ahead because he actually got NU to the Tournament once. Two bubble teams in 7 years? Collier and Sadler weren’t far off from that.

NU upgraded the on-campus facilities and committed to PBA specifically to raise the profile and rate of success for the basketball team. This is not what those in charge expected. At all.

Miles relied on cobbling together transfers from other schools. He brought some nice players here - so we KNOW NU can attract talent. But they always seemed to be on the edge of implosion. Most of the time, they landed on the wrong side of edge.

2014 Rhode Island game was the beginning of the end for me. We walked in with the vastly more talented team. We got outclassed in every facet of the game. It was the first time Miles inadequecies were on full display. I hoped he could hire some assistants that would fill those gaps but it was clear he never did.

It's not that I don't respect him, it's that he is not a good basketball coach. This became obvious, to me, his third season.

Since the loss to OSU in March 2014, NU is 78-79 with a conference record of 35-53.

You can pin-point the exact moment when the tide turned. NU led OSU by 9 points with 7:45 to go in the game. Pitchford went up for a thunderous dunk that would put NU up by 11 and kill the spirit of OSU. He missed it. He missed the dunk. OSU scored 20 of the next 25 (sound familiar?), and won the game.

Then Tim Miles got ejected from the NCAA tournament game against Baylor. Yes, he did.

I lost respect for Miles after two events... One was when he kicked his team out of the locker room a few years ago and they quit on him. The second was a picture he took with an opposing coach before an early season shoot out tournament. He was posing with a coaching buddy, goofing around and he pretended to be punching the guy in the balls. Of course, his buddy's team beat us that day. Does anyone else remember this?

Getting ejected from Ncaa tourney against Baylor

I thought the 14-15 season was even more disappointing than this one. But I let it slide because Petteway had some major personal life issues going on and because of that it still looked possible that Miles had this thing on a nice trajectory longer term. The following year was when I realized we should probably let him go because I saw his offensive scheme would be our ceiling and it wasn’t very high.

Miles has done nothing for me to lose respect for him I think he is a good and honorable man, for me I’ve lost confidence in him

Reactions: Watson2Coleman
I lost my respect for TM when he said if they fire me, they will have to pay me. And I will be a millionaire and that ain't all bad. It was in Sipple's article in the LJS this morning. What a BS thing to say.

I've never lost respect for Miles.

But it might be time for a change. I'll leave that analysis and decision to ADBM.

I was always pulling for him until he cracked The Millionaire Joke. That did it sadly for me.

Reactions: mmunso7
ADVERTISEMENT