ADVERTISEMENT

When did everyone turn on HC Scott Frost?

CAUTION! THIS POST HAS AN OPINION IN IT AND MAY OR MAY NOT CONTAIN ANY ACTUAL FACTS.

somewhere last year, with a LOT more after Illinois this year.

I havent completely turned on Frost, but more the coaching staff as it is today. There needs to be changes for some, like myself, to keep hanging on.

I'm still behind him. He's building the program back up from the foundation and in the image of what Nebraska is all about. I think giving him more time to realize the adjustment needed and get them implemented is a much better prospect than starting over.

When I realized he couldn't recruit what we need to compete in the BIG
His recruiting so far is not going to get us where we want to be

Where do we want to be
Where are we now
How do we get there
What do we do Monday morning.

When he was lost on clock and game management, multiple times in the first 2 years. Hasn't changed much since.
I agree. I've put forth the question about how much -if any- football these coaches watch on television. It seems like clock and game management skills would be easy to learn/teach just by watching some games....or end of games at least. So many times it seems like they have no clue at all on how to use the rules to save or burn clock. Baffling at times.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I haven’t turned on him…yet. But the Illinois losses in back-to-back years, the special teams disasters that never seem to get fixed, the constant finger pointing, the ongoing lack of an identity on offense, the inability to win close games—those things have built up and have slowly caused me to start losing faith.

I'm still behind him. He's building the program back up from the foundation and in the image of what Nebraska is all about. I think giving him more time to realize the adjustment needed and get them implemented is a much better prospect than starting over.
The Nebraska image is dumb penalties, stupid mistakes weekly, terrible special teams, dog shit redzone conversions? You may want to rethink some things.

Sometimes I’d like him gone immediately, mostly during the games when we are making the same damn mistakes over and over, but after I put the whiskey down, I see we have made progress no matter our record is. Fix the ST and O line and this would be a scary good team. Lets see how this year plays out and perhaps next year. It just feels like this team is ready to breakout. There are very possible downsides to changing coaches unless we could get an absolute slam dunk hire, but I also understand why so many want him gone.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Sometimes I’d like him gone immediately, mostly during the games when we are making the same damn mistakes over and over, but after I put the whiskey down, I see we have made progress no matter our record is. Fix the ST and O line and this would be a scary good team. Lets see how this year plays out and perhaps next year. It just feels like this team is ready to breakout. There are very possible downsides to changing coaches unless we could get an absolute slam dunk hire, but I also understand why so many want him gone.
It'll either break out at some point this season or the players will give up or at least turn on the staff and start playing their own way. Unless the pressure becomes so great to fire then that the players play purely for the coaches sake

Reactions: Frozone
I don't think it is so much that fans have turned on him it is that the results are pretty bad.

Fans turned on Bo. Fans never gave Billy C a chance, fans were weird with Mike because so many Husker fans pretended that Bo somehow emotionally hurt them that they needed Mike, like they were leaving an abusive relationship.

I think most of the fans like Frost and all the fans want him to do well but most of us just don't see it happening. In fact, if Frost won out, fans would be back to jerking off.

The west is so bad. It is so bad that I still honestly believe the best team in the west is NU, that is how bad it is. Any other HC/Staff would have NU sitting at 4-1 or 5-0

I haven’t turned on him…yet. But the Illinois losses in back-to-back years, the special teams disasters that never seem to get fixed, the constant finger pointing, the ongoing lack of an identity on offense, the inability to win close games—those things have built up and have slowly caused me to start losing faith.
Its such a catch-22, because nearly every game is close regardless of the quality of opponent. Which leads one to believe... "hey we can play with ____insert good program name____. Which means we need to win games with our last possession. We are incapable of doing this. We also can't generate points past the opponents' 30 yard line.

Reactions: Frozone and timnsun
I've actually not turned on him. We have actually shown growth. Now he needs to show me that we can not beat ourselves. Last week crushed me, but I now have faith. OU wasn't a fluke, we are improving.

I think Frost should, and will be given the whole season to show his progress. But, for me, I just don't see that he is, at this point a power five quality coach. We got excited about the effort against OU, but if someone wants to look, OU has not been world beaters this year with 3 of their 4 games being one score games against lesser opposition. Unless Frost can teach his players discipline, which in his tenure has NOT been even close at accomplishing, he has no business as the Husker coach and I don't think he should be paid well to learn on the job. Even if we win 6 games and earn a bowl birth, Trev should pull the plug and go a new direction as Frost has recruited well, but has shown no ability to develop and even teach the basics to his players.

Reactions: CBOYZ CAT
I haven't been on this board for years but it's amazing how fast things have turned. What was the defining moment? In my personal opinion, he has shown progress and I think he can turn things around. GBR!
Last year . He hadn't fixed special teams, penalties, being unprepared, bad play calling, lack of player development, etc. Losing to a Minny with half its squad should have been all most needed to see but no. That game is never even brought up on this board.

Reactions: CBOYZ CAT
Last year . He hadn't fixed special teams, penalties, being unprepared, bad play calling, lack of player development, etc. Losing to a Minny with half its squad should have been all most needed to see but no. That game is never even brought up on this board.
I really don't think there is lack of player development.

Betts is really good
Manning is good
Travis V is good
Every player on defense seems to have developed.
People love to rip on AM but statistically he is unreal

RB's are lame and the OL is lame.

I’ll admit he’s “killing me smalls” with all the nonsense, but I also admit I see how we’re “close” (taboo as the word is)- more in a sec.
I had 4 distinct moments when I turned on him:

1. Giving up the 2nd fake punt run last year (now see 2021 special teams).
2. Playing Adrian in the second half of Rutgers. I don’t care that he bounced back, and I don’t care that Luke was in street clothes. Not benching him told me Frost has zero sense of QB expectations.
3. Not getting a QB transfer this off-season. Even someone who may not win the starting job. We needed to shake up the room.
4. CTB trotting out there for the next punt after his safety against IL. It took 2 more CTB punt turnovers to finally get permanently yanked!!!
Zero sense of accountability again.

bonus#5 Not getting a play called in twice in second half against Oklahoma (costing a timeout and wasted down).

I give a ton of credit to Adrian for his performance, but I still think it’s a mistake to excuse some of his problems. Basically the kid could be far superior with better coaching- I’m convinced.
Coming close simply doesn’t work given the long laundry list of mistakes that keep holding us back, 50%+ on coaching. All 5 examples above are not player errors but rather coaching errors, just like not finding a competent punter.

Now our recruiting is tanking, and the great defense we have will lose 5-6 starters. It’s hard to see how things will improve moving forward when coach has so many blunders.

Last edited:
I, along with 99% of other loyal Husker fans, have not ‘turned’ on Scott Frost. We have turned on the results of the Nebraska Cornhuskers during Frosts tenure. I can’t make this more clear. Get rid of this narrative. Same with Bo, Cally, and Riley. If Scott could somehow turn it around and win games and compete for the BIG, Husker fans would support a Roman style triumph down the streets of Lincoln.

The defense has changed this year, I will give them development. The offensive might have some good parts but it's hard to tell because the offense is still bad. AM is up and down, can't blame him as we have the worst O line in the FBS. No running game . It can be debated that we've gotten better and development too but it hasn't translated to wins. Tick, tock, tick, tock.....Wow, look at all those empty seats !

I haven't been on this board for years but it's amazing how fast things have turned. What was the defining moment? In my personal opinion, he has shown progress and I think he can turn things around. GBR!
Where the h_ll have you been for the last 3 and 1/2 yearrs? Have you been out of the country? Frost is headed towards 4 losing seasons in a row. There is a new adjective called "Frost Ball" since you been gone, it's the polar 180degree opposite of "Beamer Ball."

We can search prior posts. In 2017 I was all in on getting Frost. After Troy in 2018 I knew we made a mistake mainly due to Frost bringing in his whole Sun Belt staff, even in 2018 we were losing to teams we should beat. It was depressing since 2018. Frost just doesn't have the skill to make HC decisions in a big boy league.

Last edited:
Illinois last year was a tipping point. When McCaffrey tried to lateral the ball and it was ruled a fumble, I'm sure some will argue "iT wAs A fOrWaRd PaSs We OnLy LoSt BeCuZ rEfS!" or something, but it was similar to a play Martinez made in '18 against Ohio State. That's when I realized if two different players make the same low-IQ mistake more than a year apart, they must have dumb coaches. Then there was the incident with only having 10 players on the field on a punt return that led to the worst "fake punt" conversion I've ever seen by an opponent. Then they went and did the exact same thing against Rutgers (10 men on the field). I was all for being patient after the 2017 season but I expected the staff to have THEIR basics of in-game management established, instead it's an oft-disorganized shitshow, and it hasn't improved much at all in year 4, but the defense is good enough to keep games close, and that side deserves credit.

Reactions: Bruce1981
The fans didn't turn on Frost until he turned on us, and there is no defining moment for that, it has been a gradual process. During his first press conference he criticized former players who had taken off work and come from long distances to support him for being fat. That got my attention immediately. Since then his stubbornness to modify his system, change his QB, change his assistants, defer the coin toss, etc. means he doesn't really care about the program and us. He only cares about his beliefs and principles, and those types of people make poor leaders.

Player development? The defense is starting to become a normal, decent P5 level defense now but on offense, there is a lack of focus on the development of skill sets and the techniques used for the OL simply doesn't work in the Big Ten.

I think Frost should, and will be given the whole season to show his progress. But, for me, I just don't see that he is, at this point a power five quality coach. We got excited about the effort against OU, but if someone wants to look, OU has not been world beaters this year with 3 of their 4 games being one score games against lesser opposition. Unless Frost can teach his players discipline, which in his tenure has NOT been even close at accomplishing, he has no business as the Husker coach and I don't think he should be paid well to learn on the job. Even if we win 6 games and earn a bowl birth, Trev should pull the plug and go a new direction as Frost has recruited well, but has shown no ability to develop and even teach the basics to his players.
This is what I've heard. THat if he continues to lose he is gone, but he has the rest of the year to show this progress is real. He has the opportunity. Every game looks like we should be in it.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I don't think it is so much that fans have turned on him it is that the results are pretty bad.

Fans turned on Bo. Fans never gave Billy C a chance, fans were weird with Mike because so many Husker fans pretended that Bo somehow emotionally hurt them that they needed Mike, like they were leaving an abusive relationship.

I think most of the fans like Frost and all the fans want him to do well but most of us just don't see it happening. In fact, if Frost won out, fans would be back to jerking off.

The west is so bad. It is so bad that I still honestly believe the best team in the west is NU, that is how bad it is. Any other HC/Staff would have NU sitting at 4-1 or 5-0
Fans gave Bill Callahan plenty of chances. What did we get from it besides two losing seasons and he shat on our traditions.

Fans gave Bill Callahan plenty of chances. What did we get from it besides two losing seasons and he shat on our traditions.
You think so?

Man, fans hated him from the get go. I think they were waiting for him to suck. By the 2nd or 3rd game they were done with him.

You think so?

Man, fans hated him from the get go. I think they were waiting for him to suck. By the 2nd or 3rd game they were done with him.
There was a segment of the fan base who did, and seeing how things played out, they had every right to be upset. There was also a certain segment of the fan base who loved Callahan from the get go, and those are probably the same fans saying they want him back. After that 2006 season, Callahan had all the support you could ever ask for, and he totally choked.

ADVERTISEMENT