ADVERTISEMENT

What's up guys & gals? (GITT with your .02)

Tim Povich

Feb 11, 2022
Curious what everyone's thinking so far with not just coach Rhule but his assistant hires as well.

ten-out-of-ten-ten.gif

I evaluate based on what Rhule described as his vision and process and what that means for his hires. He wanted young, hungry grinders that were great recruiters. Outside of a super experienced ST coordinator, that is who he has hired. So now I will trust the process.

The worry is it is mostly guys with him since Temple and lack of experience outside thise programs. But I think the potential of this staff is high. Who we have by Spring will tell us a lot.

Feel like the coaches hired are going to work well in his system that he wants to run. That makes things smoother. They also have different places they’ve been and can bring options to the plans made quicker and faster.

Feel like the staff will be more learning and teaching for the players and themselves than in a long time. Will see some growing pains but feel more confident things will get done correctly.

Reactions: Todd P
Curious what everyone's thinking so far with not just coach Rhule but his assistant hires as well.
Like the Rhule hire. From there we’ll have to see how it works. I’m a little concerned about installing a new defense which looks kind of gimmicky to me. Rhule has had a good record of mentoring young coaches so I’ll sit back and watch. I’m probably the only person on earth who didn’t mind him retaining Raiola given the O line experience of Rhule and his other assistants. I’m always apprehensive when you start from scratch with a new offense or defense. Need some quality transfers at a couple of key spots

Very optimistic. The amount of pure recruiting experience that has been added to the staff is as exciting as the staff itself. I’m admittedly sipping on that red koolaid until proven otherwise.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I’m an optimist, so I’m liking just about everything I’ve seen. But I’m easily fooled as well, so who knows?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on what’s been happening, when you are ready to share.

A+ Rhule, White, Barthel
B- Satterfield
C- Cooper
D- Pot Roast
F- Raiola
No opinion on Foley

But let's be real here; we have 3 assistants with experience and the others are flat out raw so grading or ranking them is like throwing darts blindfolded. None of us know and will have to wait to find out.

Pot Roast intrigues me the most. He has the chops from playing in the NFL. His college coaching experience is a huge concern. No development or recruiting history but I'm a sucker for a coach that was all conference in college, 2 time team defensive MVP & 7 years in the league with 100+ starts. He could easily move up to A-B real quick.

Raiola, I'm truly dumbfounded. Love to be wrong on this one. Heck, he still wasn't listed on huskers.com earlier today so maybe, just maybe....

Hope you're doing great Tim.

I'm really not sure at this point. Rhule was not in my top 2. After hearing him speak, I'd rate the hire as an 7.4/10.

His choices for some assistants are lacking. It's just more of the same. More of the "hiring your pals" that we've seen before with Frost, Riley, and Callahan. I can't be the only one whom doesn't trust this pattern. However, I really want to believe this time...

Reactions: Tim Povich
A+ Rhule, White, Barthel
B- Satterfield
C- Cooper
D- Pot Roast
F- Raiola
No opinion on Foley

Pot Roast intrigues me the most. He has the chops from playing in the NFL. His college coaching experience is a huge concern. No development or recruiting history but I'm a sucker for a coach that was all conference in college, 2 time team defensive MVP & 7 years in the league with 100+ starts. He could easily move up to A-B real quick.

Raiola, I'm truly dumbfounded. Love to be wrong on this one. Heck, he still wasn't listed on huskers.com earlier so maybe, just maybe....
I’m optimistic that Rhule can get what he wants out of Raiola. People question his ability to recruit but right now he looks to have the highest rated recruits in his group of all the assistants sh## canned.

FWIW I think Raiola might have other options

A+ Rhule, White, Barthel
B- Satterfield
C- Cooper
D- Pot Roast
F- Raiola
No opinion on Foley

But let's be real here; we have 3 assistants with experience and the others are flat out raw so grading or ranking them is like throwing darts blindfolded. None of us know and will have to wait to find out.

Raiola, I'm truly dumbfounded. Love to be wrong on this one. Heck, he still wasn't listed on huskers.com earlier today so maybe, just maybe....
Couldn’t agree more on all of this.

People question his ability to recruit but right now he looks to have the highest rated recruits in his group of all the assistants sh## canned.

When a player keeps his commitment without caring or knowing who their position coach will be - that kid committed to the school/program, not because of a coach. I'd say that regardless who the head recruiter was to get their verbal.

We'll see what he's capable of doing.

I’m going with what FOX news slogan on how things are unfolding.
Fair and Balanced.

It’s heading in the right direction…

Greetings Tim. As you might guess, my former employment allowed me to become familiar with Ruhle years ago, going back to the situation that took him from Temple to Baylor. This is just my opinion, but the only realistic potential HC that was anywhere near Ruhle would have been Dave Aranda. Aranda said no early. This hire is exactly what Trev was looking for and, again in my opinion, exactly what NU needs -- a person of high character, unmatched football IQ and great work ethic. My guess is that he wowed Trev during his interviews by laying out a well thought-out plan regarding assistant coaches, development, X and O scheming and building a team his time-tested way. I am thrilled the way this turned out. Just one guy's opinion.

How's your son doing

Cade is doing well. He's in Sarasota right now with the Orioles for a 13ish day mini camp for some pitchers. He'll then head to Grapevine Texas for 3 weeks to work with one of his private instructor guys.

Appreciate you asking!

Greetings Tim. As you might guess, my former employment allowed me to become familiar with Ruhle years ago, going back to the situation that took him from Temple to Baylor. This is just my opinion, but the only realistic potential HC that was anywhere near Ruhle would have been Dave Aranda. Aranda said no early. This hire is exactly what Trev was looking for and, again in my opinion, exactly what NU needs -- a person of high character, unmatched football IQ and great work ethic. My guess is that he wowed Trev during his interviews by laying out a well thought-out plan regarding assistant coaches, development, X and O scheming and building a team his time-tested way. I am thrilled the way this turned out. Just one guy's opinion.

Cedric, heck of a post! Hopefully it's read by many people!! Merry Christmas!

Cade is doing well. He's in Sarasota right now with the Orioles for a 13ish day mini camp for some pitchers. He'll then head to Grapevine Texas for 3 weeks to work with one of his private instructor guys.

Appreciate you asking!

Cedric, heck of a post! Hopefully it's read by many people!! Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you and family, Tim!

Reactions: Tim Povich
I'm a big believer that the right head coach makes a staff go the same way that the right QB makes everyone on offense look better. I hope Rhule is that guy. I know one thing, I really think Frost was (is) so bad that I have a hard time really evaluating guys that worked for him. Saying that this staff is just like Frost's staff all over again doesn't really mean much to me. Those guys had no chance with Frost providing the standard of leadership.

Reactions: jteten and bigboxes
What up, Tim?!? Glad to see your son is rocking it.

I am VERY CAUTIOUSLY optimistic with the hire. But I also keep talking myself out of it being a great hire. That is probably more or less because of the last ten years or so.

So far, he has said all of the right things. It is hard to judge the hires he has made, so I think the jury is going to be out until we see a finished product next fall.

Unfortunately, I think the new staff is in a tough spot irt recruiting rn. The MJ situation certainly didn't do him any favors there.

Just looking for improvement at this point.

Have a great Christmas, man!

A+ Rhule, White, Barthel
B- Satterfield
C- Cooper
D- Pot Roast
F- Raiola
No opinion on Foley

I tend to like most of the hires. I am a huge fan of hiring young energetic recruiters as your position coaches. If the head coach and the coordinators are A+ and B, they will do what needs to be done to direct the position coaches to do what they want done. At that point, it is about relationships and trust between the position coaches and the players.

I don't know if I am dumbfounded by Raiola hire or just surprised. I don't think the offense Whipple ran was really very condusive to the talent on the OL, nor was it inline with they type of OL Raiola was as a player. Very square peg round hole. I am really interested to see how he is able to teach what Satterfield wants to do. To me it is much more traditional, fundamentally, than what Whipple ran and perhaps a bit simpler.

I would give Knighton an incomplete right now. I would agree with you that if he is able to transfer what he did as a player to teaching the the current players, he could be the steal of the bunch.

I really like the DC hire. I watched a video of him talking about how he approached the off season between year one and year two at Syracuse. I like how the defense is multiple but simple and the players can play fast. So many times coaches want to show how much they know and there are 15 reads for a player to make pre snap, then they ended up playing slow.

Welcome back Tim!

I’m pretty pumped about the hires so far. Some dam good coordinators and some intriguing young position coaches. Can’t wait to start a new chapter in Nebraska football.

I’m certainly intrigued

Being at the start of a new era has been the pinnacle around here for too long

Hoping this roller coaster can still go uphill

Perhaps meat & potatoes (HC & staff) is exactly what we need

Overall I'd say the assistant coach hires have been a mixed-bag/OK - not amazing but not terrible. I think Satterfield was not a good hire and retaining Raiola is the worst decision Rhule could make. Nothing like rewarding the worst assistant coach from last season. Absolutely defies any logic at all - esp. at the most important position group on the team. If there's one place you HAVE TO make sure to have an elite player development coach is the Oline - and if anyone should know that more than anyone should be Huskers fans/Trev Alberts given the revolving door of pitiful Oline coaches for the past 20 yrs.

I like the defensive staff thus far, esp. the DC. I believe not bringing back Bill Busch was also a huge mistake. Rhule wasn't given a choice to retain Mickey Joseph or not - which is really unfortunate because Mickey had done an amazing job for recruiting continuity, current roster retainment, and WR player development (see Trey Palmer). I'm a little worried about how well 3-3-5 defense will operate in the Big 10 West.

I like the experience the assistant coaches have in recruiting and therefore understand its importance.

Last edited:
I was hesitant about Rhule at first, but have come around and that is an underatatement. Love the DC....love the recruiting effort and the athletic freaks he's going for. I've listened to a few of Rhule's clips and he sure sounds like a sharp dude to me. Bottom line I think we did great with our hire and I am way excited about our future.

...another thing, when Frost got another shot this year and most of us bemoaned it, sometimes things hapoen that seem like they suck initially, but in hindsight work out. Rhule was not an option at end of last year...who knows who we get if Frost is let go last year? I'm glad it all worked out the way it did....and I'm thrilled Trev didn't hire MJ in a knee jerk reaction.

We will be doing this again in 3 years is what I think.

In the meantime, it's possible that he may have success, but I have a feeling we will go backwards next year, then step forward in year 2. Year 3 could be better still, but I don't believe it's the right fit, as that is what was over sold during the press conference. I think he'll be itching to find something easier by then.

Defensively, I'm afraid we won't be able to stop the run, and we're in the B1G, so.. yeah.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuckysBoys1
We will be doing this again in 3 years is what I think.

In the meantime, it's possible that he may have success, but I have a feeling we will go backwards next year, then step forward in year 2. Year 3 could be better still, but I don't believe it's the right fit, as that is what was over sold during the press conference. I think he'll be itching to find something easier by then.

giphy.gif

Bump for more opinions...
If you insist. This might be a TLDR. That's cool.

OC Definite edge Satterfield over Whipple simply because he will be incorporating the type of offense Rhule will want and if Fidone can overcome the knee injuries (doubtful) Satterfield might have a TE that can do a lot of damage. Also, since Satterfield coaches the TEs, NU will need to get him more than what NU currently has in-house.

OL Since there is no change, I'm guessing Raiola will work the piss out of these guys with the benefit of them having a different nutrition program, no question aided by an S & C coach who may have some previously crappy OLmen that suddenly start to function as a working unit. If Teddy can get and stay healthy, the re-insertion of Nouilli at the G position, and hopefully the addition of 2-3 additional seasoned OL who have decent feet could elevate this to a decent line. They will be in better shape, more flexible, and able to bend, or they will ride the pine with this coach.

TE This one could be a wash between Beckton and Satterfield. Beckton had a much better room to work with, but the right recruits from the portal could change it. IF, Fidone recovers (again doubtful) he offers the room something we haven't seen in years and that is speed.

WR Unknown until Rhule officially announces someone. I don't want to dog Mickey because of his legal issue and the fact he recruits very well. But, who's to say the next WR coach is not only a helluva coach but also a great recruiter?

RB This one will be an edge to Barthel. He seems to be a real dog with some serious recruiting chops.
I thought Applewhite was a very good RB coach, although at times I didn't understand his rotation, that may have been due to Ervin's turf toe, Yant's on again off again being on the team, and Rahmir's lack of presence for the majority of the year. I thought the biggest thing he did was get Ajay Allen to Lincoln.

QB No contest Peetz.

DC. Again, White over Busch and White over Chins by a mile. I love a defense that attacks, although it does open up the defense to big plays, it also runs the offense into a lot of negative plays. Throw in a couple of DLs that can stop the run, add in a couple of LBs that can really run, and let's go. I love how Rhule's defensive team made huge strides at Baylor, and it looks like NU has just the right guy to create havoc when the ball is snapped. Like I said in another thread, after watching that 20-minute vid on Baylor v. Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, it showed Rhule's defense was as aggressive as hell. Gang tackling, pursuing the ball, and other than the DL, speed everywhere you looked.

DL Undecided, although I have never been impressed with Dawson. I think he's a little bit too much of a nice guy, and I think you need a real hard ass to kick Robinson, Nash in the ass and see what they have. I think Frost tried to incorporate Tom's idea that you didn't have to ride these kids' asses to get production, and it can work when you're dealing with the Wistroms, and Peters types that bring that every play motor with them. These kids, Robinson and Nash may be much improved with some better conditioning and ass-chewing. They're already strong enough, they just can't move.

LB White by a mile over Ruud. I know Ruud was a great player and made a ton of tackles, but I thought our LBs over the last 4 years were subpar. Barry, Derrick, and most of the crews did nothing but make tackles 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage and couldn't contain the outside threat. I think if you're gonna play in the Rhule/White defense you best be able to run. Taking a kid like Butler and moving him to LB instead of this 245# kid trying to take on 300# OTs in the BIG, may give him the type of freedom to use the physical skills he's been gifted. At the end of the day, I think by Year 2 some of these returning LBs are gonna have their breath taken away by some of the speed that's going to be arriving in the near future.

Secondary. Edge to Cooper. Again, I thought Fisher was way overrated. He got the pick of the litter of talent that was still available, yet we were a shitty tackling team, mostly throw the shoulder. Busch at least had these guys begin to tackle after a few weeks. In addition, to live tackling being on the menu, these kids will learn how to tackle and wrap somebody up or they can cheer on the squad while they ride the pine.

Overall, teamwise, I don't think this new crew is going to let shit slide. When many of them are coming off NFL gigs, they've already seen what works and what doesn't. I think it's gonna be hard for the player's to bullshit these guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkeb
IMHO, Rhule, even with the accolades has holes in his resume. He hasn't stayed anywhere very long to get over the hump of playing for championships and beating championship caliber teams. This tells me two things, that is as far as he can/wants to take a team or his ability to find the diamond in the rough and develop them as limits. Neither could be true but until he proves it otherwise, all is speculation.

I don't buy into the talk. It does help with recruits families and the press but in my career I have seen some smooth talkers who didn't fulfill the expectations.

The OC will have a tough time as they all have even Tom. He will never call the right play or run the ball enough, that my be more than just sarcasm as his record seems to tilt that way.

Like the D coordinator, seems like an enthusiastic guy who relates to kids and gets them to play for him. Comes from a good tree but has to prove it in the B1G. Always a catch.

Other assistants don't wow but may be wonderful. We need great people and teachers, the rest like recruiting can come. So, for me jury is out on that group.

I expect to see some good progress this first year. We lose a lot via graduation and transfer, need to find that leadership piece as well.

IMHO, Rhule, even with the accolades has holes in his resume. He hasn't stayed anywhere very long to get over the hump of playing for championships and beating championship caliber teams. This tells me two things, that is as far as he can/wants to take a team or his ability to find the diamond in the rough and develop them as limits. Neither could be true but until he proves it otherwise, all is speculation.

I don't buy into the talk. It does help with recruits families and the press but in my career I have seen some smooth talkers who didn't fulfill the expectations.

The OC will have a tough time as they all have even Tom. He will never call the right play or run the ball enough, that my be more than just sarcasm as his record seems to tilt that way.

Like the D coordinator, seems like an enthusiastic guy who relates to kids and gets them to play for him. Comes from a good tree but has to prove it in the B1G. Always a catch.

Other assistants don't wow but may be wonderful. We need great people and teachers, the rest like recruiting can come. So, for me jury is out on that group.

I expect to see some good progress this first year. We lose a lot via graduation and transfer, need to find that leadership piece as well.
Losing Hixson, Williams, Vokolek, Feist and Drew is losing a lot through graduation?

ADVERTISEMENT