ADVERTISEMENT

What's Left?

Native Nebraskan

Sophomore
Feb 20, 2006
In the era of facilities war between schools for athletes, what is left for Nebraska to obtain or improve? I for one, can't see anything needed for the major sports at this time. Am I missing anything? Then what will the University do with the additional revenue going from $18 million to $40 million with the potential new TV deal? Lower ticket prices (Ha Ha HA). Invest in the academics at the university?

Wins and, in turn, championships. Can't continue to hope players come in any sport if we aren't making it to the playoffs, Dance, CWS etc.

According to the linked OWH article about Coach Riley, Oregon has a pretty nice player facility: "The exterior is black granite and mirrored glass. Inside, there's enough imported material to dot the globe. Brazilian hardwood on the weight-room floor. Urinals from Turkey. Rugs woven in Nepal. A coaches' war room table from Germany. Leather theater chairs from Italy. The barber's tools - yes, there's a barber shop - are imported from Italy, too. On a recent winter afternoon, a stranger could see only the lobby, where 55-inch TVs line the walls - 64 of them! (The sound system, by the way, is from Finland.)"

We need to compete with that.

Hatfield Dowlin Center

One primary thing recruits look for is a fan base that support capacity crowds. Great facalities, great coaching staffs, great tradition, capacity crowds, large capacity crowds. A fan base that respects the athletes win or lose but not happy to lose and not willing to accept losing.

Originally posted by Husker.Wed.:

According to the linked OWH article about Coach Riley, Oregon has a pretty nice player facility: "The exterior is black granite and mirrored glass. Inside, there's enough imported material to dot the globe. Brazilian hardwood on the weight-room floor. Urinals from Turkey. Rugs woven in Nepal. A coaches' war room table from Germany. Leather theater chairs from Italy. The barber's tools - yes, there's a barber shop - are imported from Italy, too. On a recent winter afternoon, a stranger could see only the lobby, where 55-inch TVs line the walls - 64 of them! (The sound system, by the way, is from Finland.)"

False. Oregon needed that in order to compete with the rest of the country.

Originally posted by mkbrkloster:

Well, being as Oregon would currently kick our ass up and down the field, what do we need in order to compete with Oregon?

I think the main thing now is to make sure we stay ahead of the curve with technology.

Originally posted by shine003:

Originally posted by mkbrkloster:

Well, being as Oregon would currently kick our ass up and down the field, what do we need in order to compete with Oregon?
Oregon is one of many teams that would currently kick our ass up and down the field. Most, if not all, do not have facilities to the extent that Oregon does.

I am complicit in this in that I am huge fan. However, this kind of over-the-top spending on luxury items in order to lure players seems ridiculous when you think about the needs our communities have.

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:
I am complicit in this in that I am huge fan. However, this kind of over-the-top spending on luxury items in order to lure players seems ridiculous when you think about the needs our communities have.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

I have always wanted a Nebraska Football museum. Have it open to the public. Put every trophy ever won in there. Old newspapers, photos, and highlights. I think it would be a hit. Could even have rooms for other NU sports.

Originally posted by scottym800:
I have always wanted a Nebraska Football museum. Have it open to the public. Put every trophy ever won in there. Old newspapers, photos, and highlights. I think it would be a hit. Could even have rooms for other NU sports.
Are you trying to attract a 17 year old or his grandparents?
wink.r191677.gif

Spend more on coaches salaries and recruiting staff. There's more non-expansion improvements that can be made to Memorial Stadium.

It means they'll dominate for most of the season but finally succumb in the end, and in spectacular fashion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT