ADVERTISEMENT

Whatever hppened to walk on coordinator?

Husker.Wed.

Athletic Director
Feb 13, 2004
Omaha Metro
Sometime back it was mentioned that a walk on coordinator was the last position to fill and it would be done after signing day. Did that ever happen?

I don't think it was filled yet. It was only in the paper about 10 days ago where they said they were looking to fill it.

The status is confusing right now. Riley said he was going to hire a walk on coordinator. Then we saw the old Oregon State running back coach on the field in Nebraska attire with Riley at the start of Spring Training and some people believe he is the new walk on coordinator. Of course, he has no previous ties with Nebraska high schools that we know of which would seem to make him a puzzling choice. Maybe he's going to be at Nebraska in a different capacity.

At any rate I think we're just going to have to wait for Riley to issue an official announcement(s) to understand what is going on with the walk on coordinator and the old Oregon State running back coach. Position(s) MAY be filled but going through the normal hiring paperwork stuff before an announcement can be made.

Originally posted by RedCap:
The status is confusing right now. Riley said he was going to hire a walk on coordinator. Then we saw the old Oregon State running back coach on the field in Nebraska attire with Riley at the start of Spring Training and some people believe he is the new walk on coordinator. Of course, he has no previous ties with Nebraska high schools that we know of which would seem to make him a puzzling choice. Maybe he's going to be at Nebraska in a different capacity.

At any rate I think we're just going to have to wait for Riley to issue an official announcement(s) to understand what is going on with the walk on coordinator and the old Oregon State running back coach. Position(s) MAY be filled but going through the normal hiring paperwork stuff before an announcement can be made.
You do realize. Walkons come from other places not named Nebraska right? Shoot we almost pulled a walkon QB this cycle from KC.

That said, it's really moot, the job isn't just a walk on coordinator. It's a job that involves on campus recruiting / working with pro scouts and yes the "walk on coordinator part". An old ball coach from Omaha might not be the best recruiter if he's trying to give a tour to some kids from California. No offense to old ball coaches.

Riley wants the right person. If he is comfortable hiring Brasfield, so am I.

Well. would you like to take a guess as to what percent of all the walk ons actually come from Nebraska?

Of course, a walk on CAN come from any where (who doesn't know that) BUT the focus of that position was supposed to be on Nebraska high school contacts. Riley already has people on the staff that is well-versed in all things California. BUT he really could use someone who is more local in focus to balance the other strengths of the staff. It's pretty obvious that Gundy and company know how to run tours for kids from California. You don't want everyone on the staff with identical skills, you want people who complement each other with other strengths.

Well. would you like to take a guess as to what percent of all the walk ons actually come from Nebraska?

Of course, a walk on CAN come from any where (who doesn't know that) BUT the focus of that position was supposed to be on Nebraska high school contacts. Riley already has people on the staff that is well-versed in all things California. BUT he really could use someone who is more local in focus to balance the other strengths of the staff. It's pretty obvious that Gundy and company know how to run tours for kids from California. You don't want everyone on the staff with identical skills, you want people who complement each other with other strengths.
Honestly, I don't give a sh_t how many kids come from Nebraska. It's about getting the kids who are good enough to play at a smaller school or FCS who might contribute in a few years.

I never said anything about "California". The reason the walk on program was so successful is because of Prop48. Getting the kids that go to JUCO nowadays to walk on. Sorry, a coach from a Neb high school doesn't strike me as someone who might fill the role of dealing with player personnel and recruiting college athletes. Or someone who would be a good on campus recruiter.

Like I said. I'll leave it up to Coach Riley to make his call. And go with what he thinks is best.

OK, your words say it all:

"[/I]Honestly, I don't give a sh_t how many kids come from Nebraska."[/I]

Trash the players from Nebraska. Gotcha. No need for any further dialog, we get where you're coming from.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Just prior to spring practices Coach Riley stated that he had done some interviewing for the position and was taking the position very seriously. He was going to take his time and wanted to get hire right. I "assume" this point forward, his immediate attention is to spring practice and his athletes. Likely more attention will be given to the position at spring break and after spring practice.

OK, your words say it all:

"[/I]Honestly, I don't give a sh_t how many kids come from Nebraska."[/I]

Trash the players from Nebraska. Gotcha. No need for any further dialog, we get where you're coming from.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Did I call anyone from Nebraska trash? I want the best walk on possible whether they come from Nebraska, Alaska or South Africa.

IMO getting walkons from out of state is and will get harder as time goes on, remember they have to pay out of state tuition which is about twice as much as instate thus they are more likely to stay in state IMO.

Originally posted by oldred:
IMO getting walkons from out of state is and will get harder as time goes on, remember they have to pay out of state tuition which is about twice as much as instate thus they are more likely to stay in state IMO.
There are ways around the non-resident tuition for a lot of kids.

This post was edited on 3/11 8:23 PM by dinglefritz

Originally posted by Kinish:

Honestly, I don't give a sh_t how many kids come from Nebraska. It's about getting the kids who are good enough to play at a smaller school or FCS who might contribute in a few years.

I never said anything about "California". The reason the walk on program was so successful is because of Prop48. Getting the kids that go to JUCO nowadays to walk on. Sorry, a coach from a Neb high school doesn't strike me as someone who might fill the role of dealing with player personnel and recruiting college athletes. Or someone who would be a good on campus recruiter.

Like I said. I'll leave it up to Coach Riley to make his call. And go with what he thinks is best.
You obviously don't know many, or any, high school coaches from Nebraska.

Originally posted by ForeverHusker:
Just prior to spring practices Coach Riley stated that he had done some interviewing for the position and was taking the position very seriously. He was going to take his time and wanted to get hire right. I "assume" this point forward, his immediate attention is to spring practice and his athletes. Likely more attention will be given to the position at spring break and after spring practice.
Thanks

Rumor was the former OSU RB Coach might be interested. Sounds like he has accepted. Born, raised and educated in Texas (UTEP and TCU), experience in Chicago.Versatile coach, on and off the field. Highly ranked as a recruiter.

This post was edited on 3/12 12:16 PM by ForeverHusker

This post was edited on 3/12 12:31 PM by ForeverHusker

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT