ADVERTISEMENT

What would your alternate schedule look like?

Dean Pope

Head Coach
Oct 11, 2001
NU officials are reportedly looking at alternate opponents for the 2020 season with the most likely scenario being an all Big 10 schedule, but they are also looking into the possibility of playing regional opponents and bus the team to the games. This would be to cut costs, increase safety and still play. Think Big 8 rivals and other neighboring schools. Multiple bye weeks and an early end to the season could be a part of the equation. Nobody wants this of course, but I think everyone would agree that it would be better than nothing!

If NU played six games next season, three home and three away, who would you want to see the Huskers play?

Last edited:
Coach Frost has said he isn’t in favor of playing all conference games and I’m sure the rest of the B1G Head Coaches all agree with that..

But if only 6 games obviously all the teams in our ( West) division..

Coach Frost has said he isn’t in favor of playing all conference games and I’m sure the rest of the B1G Head Coaches all agree with that..

But if only 6 games obviously all the teams in our ( West) division..

I agree with this... now... if we could sprinkle in a "regional" game or two close to home from Manhattan, Lawrence or Ames... that would be pretty fun!

NU officials are reportedly looking at alternate opponents for the 2020 season with the most likely scenario being an all Big 10 schedule, but they are also looking into the possibility of playing regional opponents and bus the team to the games? Think Big 8 rivals and other neighboring schools. Multiple bye weeks and an early end to the season could be a part of the equation. Nobody wants this of course, but I think everyone would agree that it would be better than nothing!

If NU played six games next season, three home and three away, who would you want to see the Huskers play?
Bama and LSU

Bama and LSU

giphy.gif

NU officials are reportedly looking at alternate opponents for the 2020 season with the most likely scenario being an all Big 10 schedule, but they are also looking into the possibility of playing regional opponents and bus the team to the games? Think Big 8 rivals and other neighboring schools. Multiple bye weeks and an early end to the season could be a part of the equation. Nobody wants this of course, but I think everyone would agree that it would be better than nothing!

Creighton Prep
Millard West
Bellevue West
Omaha North
KC Rockhurst
IMG Academy.

4-2, baby!

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Spring could be sprung because Fall will be felled. Glad to see Nebraska doing pretty well but most of the South and West sucks. I realize a Spring schedule would make AD’s work overtime but they get paid a lot of money. (Unless we can schedule KU 12 times for the Fall and Frost could get his six wins.)

Reactions: 9and4
This year is going to be very very interesting I have no doubt. I will be shocked it if it is played out as normal. We are for sure going to see outbreaks in some area/ programs. Cause them to not be able to play or host games. I do think we will see a shuffling of schedules to so say. Basically teams will play other teams who are able and in somewhat close proximity. I don't see Nebraska fly out to play USC or Oregon.
However if it does get to the point that programs need to be reworking schedules do we really think the ncaa won't just shut it all down?

A wise man once told me, to be the best, you have to beat the best. I ain’t scared an neither should the current players be. The goal is to make to the cfp, right? That’s who’d we have to face

If this is the wise man you are referring to...his career has been scripted. I am not sure that you can find anyone to write a script with Nebraska beating LSU or Alabama in 2020. Winking

giphy.gif

Get some Midland University in there. They’ll do anything for $$.

Not sure if serious or not but it might make more sense than not. If the schedule is reduced so will the opportunities for those players to get in their 4 games to preserve their red shirt status. Schedule some state schools, NAIA, even CC games and get some experience for those players who are not front line. I am guessing many on here do not remember the old JV days, I used to go to at least two a year in Lincoln. Load people on a couple of buses, go to some stadiums in Nebraska and play some games.

Of course, the NCAA would need to approve. Things could be in such a mess for everyone, who knows what things will look like. The players, at any level, are just going to want to play a real live game against someone.

Reactions: Dean Pope
My two cents would be Iowa, Iowa st ou okie st mizzo possibly Ohio st. Any of these states with democrat governors will probably have the season canceled. Not to get political I’m just saying look at the stares reopening

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Not sure if serious or not but it might make more sense than not. If the schedule is reduced so will the opportunities for those players to get in their 4 games to preserve their red shirt status. Schedule some state schools, NAIA, even CC games and get some experience for those players who are not front line. I am guessing many on here do not remember the old JV days, I used to go to at least two a year in Lincoln. Load people on a couple of buses, go to some stadiums in Nebraska and play some games.

Of course, the NCAA would need to approve. Things could be in such a mess for everyone, who knows what things will look like. The players, at any level, are just going to want to play a real live game against someone.
oh please tell me you're joking.

I said in another post, if the season falls apart NU should be ready with a plan B. I like the idea of playing local-ish teams we can bus to and have a bye week between every game. 4 home games, maybe even go up to the Dakota Dome if no fans allowed. Frost only needs to win 4 to get a winning season, trending up!

9/5 SD

9/19 SDSU

10/3 KU

10/17 KSU

Halloween ISU

11/14 Mizzou

11/28 Iowa

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I said in another post, if the season falls apart NU should be ready with a plan B. I like the idea of playing local-ish teams we can bus to and have a bye week between every game. 4 home games, maybe even go up to the Dakota Dome if no fans allowed. Frost only needs to win 4 to get a winning season, trending up!

9/5 SD

9/19 SDSU

10/3 KU

10/17 KSU

Halloween ISU

11/14 Mizzou

11/28 Iowa
Why not North Dakota State instead of one of the South Dakota teams?

Reactions: scarletred
Why not North Dakota State instead of one of the South Dakota teams?

My schedule is based on proximity. Fargo is 7 hours away. The Gophers and Razorbacks are shorter drives than the Bison. I believe every team on my list is under 6 hours from Lincoln. Easy to bus to.

Just play an old Big 8 schedule, plus Iowa. Maybe ditch the Oklahoma schools for South Dakota and Wyoming, if they're too far away, or too guaranteed to beat us.

A JV schedule? I remember those days. To some this may sound ridiculous, but I think it's a great idea if the opportunity presented itself. If the NCAA allowed it, it would be great. We used to play jucos as well. How about bringing in Iowa Western for a game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT