ADVERTISEMENT

What would you change?

RobsterMobster

Administrator
Jan 5, 2010
I'm curious what you would change if you could choose one thing? This isn't to create a negative thread but rather keep this board from becoming a graveyard I fear it may after that Regional. Anyone who can't find one thing has their head in the sand anyways.

Batting has been far worse than pitching, which says something. The number of runners stranded, strike outs, double plays hit into, just anything they can do to **** it up, they do it. The pitchers probably stress out because they know if they give up 3 runs, the team is f***ed.

Reactions: bleedhuskerred
Batting has been far worse than pitching, which says something. The number of runners stranded, strike outs, double plays hit into, just anything they can do to **** it up, they do it. The pitchers probably stress out because they know if they give up 3 runs, the team is f***ed.
Yeah. I went back and forth with this but what makes me say pitching is Erstad is the hitting coach. If he is staying I don't see major changes in the hitting. Pitching will have to improve from being adequate to a little more on the dominant side. K to W ratio and full counts have been bad for awhile now.

I would like to see a bit of a philosophy change when it comes to early season scheduling. The current coach likes to play the best possible which I agree with to a point. But we've gotten off to very poor starts the last few years. We have to go south to start the year but can't we schedule some neutral site games against other northern teams instead of playing all sun belt programs? I'd like to see something like this:

Week 1: Series against a historically bad program. Like, say, North Dakota. Work out the kinks against someone else whose been cooped up all winter and hopefully win 3-4 games to build some confidence and momentum.
Week 2: Series against a northern power five program like Boston College or Washington State.
Weeks 3-4: Now play the Oklahoma States, Arkansas and Arizonas.

Actually, the best setup ever was when we played five exempt games at Hawaii-Hilo to start the season. Can we do that again? :)

I would like to see a bit of a philosophy change when it comes to early season scheduling. The current coach likes to play the best possible which I agree with to a point. But we've gotten off to very poor starts the last few years. We have to go south to start the year but can't we schedule some neutral site games against other northern teams instead of playing all sun belt programs? I'd like to see something like this:

Week 1: Series against a historically bad program. Like, say, North Dakota. Work out the kinks against someone else whose been cooped up all winter and hopefully win 3-4 games to build some confidence and momentum.
Week 2: Series against a northern power five program like Boston College or Washington State.

Actually, the best setup ever was when we played five exempt games at Hawaii-Hilo to start the season. Can we do that again? :)
I agree, maybe try to work out a week 1 tournament with multiple northern teams on the off-chance that at least one of them will have a decent year in the Mo Valley or something and not cause too much RPI damage.

ever since the RPI change to make home game wins less meaningful it seems more teams are wanting to setup these neutral site 4-5 team matchups in AZ/TX. I would like to see us head to Florida and play a South Florida or even a Florida Gulf Coast. A team that will be good but not world beaters. Still get decent RPI points and hopefully some wins.

The way they start and finish the year the last few has been somewhat perplexing.

Also feel we need to start hitting up the JUCO ranks for pitchers again.

I agree about the scheduling. I understand the desire to play tougher schedules, and I think it's great-up to a point. I'd rather we play a tougher schedule than fill it up with teams like UNK and Wayne State. But we need to find some more winnable games early in the season. Every year we fall behind early in the season and have to go on a tear to get to being into at-large consideration. The 2013 season was the worst example of having too tough of a schedule. We finished tied for 2nd in the conference, made it to the championship game of the B1G tournament and had an RPI(31) high enough to be in consideration for an at-large bid. But we were ineligible because we were one game below .500. Just a slightly easier schedule-enough to get us a couple more wins, and we were probably in. And the way that team was playing in the B1G tournament-they could have really made some noise in a regional.
I also feel like because we fall so far behind early in the season, we play ourselves out of hosting contention before we even start conference play.

Last edited:
I agree about the scheduling. I understand the desire to play tougher schedules, and I think it's great-up to a point. I'd rather we play a tougher schedule than fill it up with teams like UNK and Wayne State. But we need to find some more winnable games early in the season. Every year we fall behind early in the season and have to go on a tear to get to being into at-large consideration. The 2013 season was the worst example of having too tough of a schedule. We finished tied for 2nd in the conference, made it to the championship game of the B1G tournament and had an RPI(31) high enough to be in consideration for an at-large bid. But we were ineligible because we were one game below .500. Just a slightly easier schedule-enough to get us a couple more wins, and we were probably in. And the way that team was playing in the B1G tournament-they could have really made some noise in a regional.
I also feel like because we fall so far behind early in the season, we play ourselves out of hosting contention before we even start conference play.
What frustrated me most that season was we had a couple games canceled and Erstad never even tried to reschedule a game. I believe even UNO would have been available for a quick game.

Reactions: Truehuskerfan
For me this year it all came down to clutch hitting. We were in almost every game & had RISP often enough just didn't have guys with the clutch gene at the beginning & end of the season.We were getting it on our win streak/ good run through the B1G. Whether that's competition level or guys getting hot at certain times (probably a little of both) im not positive.

In terms of fixing that I would say it's a mindset & some type of psychological change along with maybe some hitting approach changes may need to take place. Possibly hiring a true hitting coach could help even though I know that's supposed to be Erstad s area.. I think having another great baseball mind there wouldn't be a bad thing.

Reason I say pitching is especially with our starters. No consistency. 10 of pur last 12 games, teams have scored in the first 3 innings. It's frustrating when you are playing from behind early. Again that is game planning. Teams did very well against our starters.

Like I said in another thread, not sure why people would say Meyers is our best pitcher. He had the best record but he also faced the worst pitchers on the weekend to where the offense helped him out more.

Like I said in another thread, not sure why people would say Meyers is our best pitcher. He had the best record but he also faced the worst pitchers on the weekend to where the offense helped him out more.
Probably because between the 3 weekend starters he had the lowest ERA, most IP, best K-BB ratio, etc?

Reactions: saluno22
Reason I say pitching is especially with our starters. No consistency. 10 of pur last 12 games, teams have scored in the first 3 innings. It's frustrating when you are playing from behind early. Again that is game planning. Teams did very well against our starters.

He had a bad outing before the tourney and this last one as well but overall he was our best all year. Keep in mind the kid is a full time position player unlike the other two. Quite impressive even if not the end he had hoped for. Also felt he, like so many others, were left in to long which helped inflate our ERA's a tad.

I believe he was tied for the lowest ERA before the tourney. He is now tops on the team.

His biggest factor to me is how he doesn't walk many at all. I just wonder what he would be if he were a Friday starter (which I know playing CF also is not something smart to do). But if he was truly our best pitcher, he should have been our Friday pitcher in my opinion and have him play CF on Sundays. With a DH role on Saturday. But we seen how well he did as basically the Friday guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT