ADVERTISEMENT

What would it take to get Will Bolt here?

Would he be looking for a move? He's in his 5th season as an assistant at Texas A&M under Childress.
Yes please. I believe he is waiting for his opportunity to take over. He could have been head coach already at a smaller D1. (Thinking he was naia or juco correct?) He just waiting for his chance to come back to DONU

Yes please. I believe he is waiting for his opportunity to take over. He could have been head coach already at a smaller D1. (Thinking he was naia or juco correct?) He just waiting for his chance to come back to DONU
Yeah, Texarkana College HC before coaching at NU.

Would he be looking for a move? He's in his 5th season as an assistant at Texas A&M under Childress.

The title of head coach and a raise should do it, I can't imagine he would turn down NU to stay an assistant at A&M.

First, it would take Erstad firing himself like he said he would do.

Of course, I think most figure that’s him just BS’ng like normal.

I support the team on the field, first and foremost.
That being said,
Bill Moos's recent comments about coaching expectations,
such as... "it all starts with the conference," among other things.
May start pushing a wedge in favor of those wishing for Erstad's removal.
So until said time has happened...
I will cheer on the young men who chose to come play for us, and our coach.

Can Nebraska some day get Bolt for a coach? Yes.
The bigger question would be, once you do get him, how do you keep him?
Because the University would have to eventually invest a lot more in baseball.
Not sure that kind of commitment is there, for baseball.
Which brings us back to where we are now.

I support the team on the field, first and foremost.
That being said,
Bill Moos's recent comments about coaching expectations,
such as... "it all starts with the conference," among other things.
May start pushing a wedge in favor of those wishing for Erstad's removal.
So until said time has happened...
I will cheer on the young men who chose to come play for us, and our coach.

Can Nebraska some day get Bolt for a coach? Yes.
The bigger question would be, once you do get him, how do you keep him?
Because the University would have to eventually invest a lot more in baseball.
Not sure that kind of commitment is there, for baseball.
Which brings us back to where we are now.
At the same time if someone told me that if by hiring Bolt that we would get a few great years but eventually he’d bail on us for a southern school I’d take that in a heartbeat.

Agree with you in supporting the players that wear the N. I’m at be the main reason I still listen and support the team.

Is R.D. Spiehs a bad choice? He's had some success as an assistant everywhere he's been, probably wouldn't break the bank, and most importantly is from the Van Horn/Childress tree. I don't know.

Reactions: saluno22
Is R.D. Spiehs a bad choice? He's had some success as an assistant everywhere he's been, probably wouldn't break the bank, and most importantly is from the Van Horn/Childress tree. I don't know.
Imagine if we got Bolt and he was able to bring Spiehs here, too, in an associate HC/pitching coach role, similar to what Bolt had when he was working under Erstad and ran the offense.

Reactions: HuskersNC
Imagine if we got Bolt and he was able to bring Spiehs here, too, in an associate HC/pitching coach role, similar to what Bolt had when he was working under Erstad and ran the offense.
There's a pretty clear difference in mental preparation with and without Bolt on staff, no more stark a contrast than in the month of May. Seems like that staff would be the best Nebraska could hope for, and would also more than satisfy a certain segment of the fanbase's lust for former player coaches :rolleyes::p

Reactions: saluno22
Awesome

If we can't do better than an assistant from Little Rock then we might as well let the program fold.

What has he done to warrant an associate HC tag? It would be one thing if Bolt brought Seely with him, but Spiehs?

What has he done to warrant an associate HC tag? It would be one thing if Bolt brought Seely with him, but Spiehs?
It comes down to having actual coaching experience, with ties to the Van Horn/Childress era. I do think it could be difficult to draw a coach to the Big 10 without any previous connection/loyalty to the school. Seely could definitely be a better choice, I like that too.

It comes down to having actual coaching experience, with ties to the Van Horn/Childress era. I do think it could be difficult to draw a coach to the Big 10 without any previous connection/loyalty to the school. Seely could definitely be a better choice, I like that too.
You could draw a coach working his way up the ranks like Indiana does. Whether they stay or not long term is another story but I’d be ok with that regardless.

I don't give a crap if someone has ties to Van Horn unless DVH himself is leaving Arky or Childress wants to leave A&M. I want someone that can coach a winning club.

We can't be afraid to hire someone that wants to use NU as a stepping stone and we can't be afraid to pay someone a competitive salary.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
I'm a little hesitant to embrace the stepping-stone role, but am probably wrong, so my question becomes: who did Osborne interview, and who requested interviews in 2011? He had 5 formal interviews and apparently a lot of interest from around the country (his words), from current head and assistant coaches that were well aware of what conference we were joining. Would any of them still like a shot to coach here? Please?

I'm a little hesitant to embrace the stepping-stone role, but am probably wrong, so my question becomes: who did Osborne interview, and who requested interviews in 2011? He had 5 formal interviews and apparently a lot of interest from around the country (his words), from current head and assistant coaches that were well aware of what conference we were joining. Would any of them still like a shot to coach here? Please?
He never seriously interviewed anyone other than Erstad which was essentially him hiring his friend.

There is enough interest in Nebraska because of the local talent, facilities, and fan support. Sure our conference stinks but it is a great conference to host a regional if you are half decent.

There is enough interest in Nebraska because of the local talent, facilities, and fan support. Sure our conference stinks but it is a great conference to host a regional if you are half decent.
Agree with the first point but not the second. The big Ten stunk ten years ago. It was pretty much a one-bid league. Now it’s a 3-5 bid league and is typically 5-7 in the conference RPI.

And the conference has not gotten better simply through expansion. Nebraska definitely raised the profile but Rutgers has done zilch and Maryland has been a disappointment, making only two regionals in five years (assuming they don’t win the conference tournament in 2019). There is more commitment to baseball throughout the league and it shows in the upgrades to facilities and coaches.

The Big Ten is more than good enough for a program like Nebraska to do whatever it wants to do on a national level.

Reactions: Lincoln gopher
Agree with the first point but not the second. The big Ten stunk ten years ago. It was pretty much a one-bid league. Now it’s a 3-5 bid league and is typically 5-7 in the conference RPI.

And the conference has not gotten better simply through expansion. Nebraska definitely raised the profile but Rutgers has done zilch and Maryland has been a disappointment, making only two regionals in five years (assuming they don’t win the conference tournament in 2019). There is more commitment to baseball throughout the league and it shows in the upgrades to facilities and coaches.

The Big Ten is more than good enough for a program like Nebraska to do whatever it wants to do on a national level.
Sure, it is better than 10 years ago. But to me college baseball is pretty top heavy. Even more so now with the SEC just light years above the rest. So the Big Ten may be slightly better but still not nationally relevant in the grand scheme of things. The reason I say it is an easy conference to host a regional is because it’s good enough to provide a good RPI but bad enough to allow a few easy sweeps.

Best comparison would be the Big Ten West in football. We just have to do the simple things right to host a regional every few years.

Maybe we are agreeing at the end of the day.

Reactions: sklarbodds

Well, like it or not, NU has probably become a stepping stone school in baseball (see Tracy Smith at Indiana)

BUT, who cares if we hire a coach who ends up leaving. DVH used NU as a stepping stone, and I don't think anyone is pissed what he did for the program before he left.

Get someone in here who can win baby!!!

Would be interesting to know. But we'll never know

Well, like it or not, NU has probably become a stepping stone school in baseball (see Tracy Smith at Indiana)

BUT, who cares if we hire a coach who ends up leaving. DVH used NU as a stepping stone, and I don't think anyone is pissed what he did for the program before he left.

Get someone in here who can win baby!!!

It's impossible to know what would have happened, but DVH leaving for his alma mater isn't the same as using NU as a stepping stone.

You can't hold words against us saluno22 Eek
We'd never be able to say anything Laughing
This is nothing against anyone else, solely one of the few times I successfully called a shot on this board. :)

I know very little about baseball, but I do know NU's offense was much better before Bolt left. And as much fun as it is to dream of landing Rob Childress (or Pat Casey), we are a middling team in the college baseball landscape.

Not saying we "settled" for Bolt, but he is who I expect us to hire and I am happy about it. At least Moos swung for the fences trying to get Childress and Casey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT