ADVERTISEMENT

What will the selection committee do?

just to put my prediction out there... right now the b1g has potentially 3 hosts. illinois deserves one. ohio state might get one (tossup honestly, depends on how they do at the conference tourney and this week against the illini). and i see us as a 2-seed with a high rpi hosting for missouri state as a 1-seed... given we don't collapse anyway.

its honestly damn near impossible to not host if you have an rpi in the top 12 and will draw a ton of fans.

fairly likely if we take 2-3 against illinois (8-1 down the stretch) and make the final in the conference tourney we're still host material. stronger conference really helping us this year.

Oh, I haven't given up on the possibility of hosting. Even if the finish is something a bit less than that, it seems Nebraska would be the nation's best candidate--certainly the best in the Big Ten--for hosting as a #2 seed because the reserved seats will sell out with all-session passes and we'll put 8k in the stands when the home team plays.

just to put my prediction out there... right now the b1g has potentially 3 hosts. illinois deserves one. ohio state might get one (tossup honestly, depends on how they do at the conference tourney and this week against the illini). and i see us as a 2-seed with a high rpi hosting for missouri state as a 1-seed... given we don't collapse anyway.

its honestly damn near impossible to not host if you have an rpi in the top 12 and will draw a ton of fans.

I think we should root for Ohio State against Illinois this weekend. The Illini's entire resume is based at the moment on 10 games against Coastal Carolina, Oklahoma State, South Florida and Michigan State. They went 7-3 which is certainly good but the remainder of their games have been against teams with an average RPI of 170. They have a 179 SOS. They've built a gaudy record against a crap schedule. Losing series to Ohio State and Nebraska would put their RPI around 30 at best. They ain't hosting with that.

Wait, you think Nebraska will host, but Iowa won't?

It's all on the assumption that NU finishes strong. What will the committee value? Will they value conference record more than RPI/SOS? If so, no NU wouldn't host over Iowa. Do they value money? That's proven....and that would be a huge advantage for NU. The NCAA would rather have 7K butts in the seat rather than 2K. Either way, Nebraska still has a lot of work to do to even talk about hosting. NU probably needs to win 5 against Purdue/NW and win the Illini series which will be a tough task for this team.

Wow....shows how much more i need to learn about this game. Great to see we still have a reasonable shot at getting in. I was thinking we go 6-3 to finish but that just gets us to .500 in conference wouldn't be enough. Seeing Illini SOS so weak maybe we sweep Purdue and NW and then storm Champaign? Wishful thinking but I saw we are tops in D and third in pitching so if we can get the bats swinging, who knows.

Wait, you think Nebraska will host, but Iowa won't?

Iowa's RPI IS 27. They have ten very winnable games left which could put them on a 15 game win streak ending the season 38-11. A couple B1G tourney wins gets them to 40 wins. But all that likely will not put them at 16-ish RPI.

Last two years multiple 40+ win teams did not host.
2013 every host had RPI 16 or better.
2014 RPI 19 was the worst host number.

Sure Iowa could host because the committee can do what it wants but it usually does what it always does. Award RPI.

Iowa might host as a 2 seed but that is a shallow honor.

Last edited:
If Nebraska hosts as a two seed I will feel no shame. I will be elated.

The guest 1 seed will know who they are. Legitimate host.

I too will be elated. I'm a fan. But the rest of the country will yawn.

Oh, I haven't given up on the possibility of hosting. Even if the finish is something a bit less than that, it seems Nebraska would be the nation's best candidate--certainly the best in the Big Ten--for hosting as a #2 seed because the reserved seats will sell out with all-session passes and we'll put 8k in the stands when the home team plays.
Any hope of hosting, even as a #2 seed went out the door last weekend IMO. Some incredible run to finish might put them back in the disucssion, but barring that. I just dont see it.
  • We are probably going to be the #7 seed in our own conference
  • Are there many potential 1's that have horrible facilities?
  • Are the optics of 7th place league team hosting before eveyone else in front to much to overcome? I'm guessing yes.
  • Is our performance against the top 50 to much to overcome? I'm guessing yes.
Nothing out there makes me think this team can run off a 9-0 or 8-1 finish. I think we finish 6-3 at best and see if we can catch fire in the B1G tournament. If we do, we could be a #2 seed somwhere, but if we don't Im still saying #3.

Any hope of hosting, even as a #2 seed went out the door last weekend IMO. Some incredible run to finish might put them back in the disucssion, but barring that. I just dont see it.
  • We are probably going to be the #7 seed in our own conference
  • Are there many potential 1's that have horrible facilities?
  • Are the optics of 7th place league team hosting before eveyone else in front to much to overcome? I'm guessing yes.
  • Is our performance against the top 50 to much to overcome? I'm guessing yes.
Nothing out there makes me think this team can run off a 9-0 or 8-1 finish. I think we finish 6-3 at best and see if we can catch fire in the B1G tournament. If we do, we could be a #2 seed somwhere, but if we don't Im still saying #3.

Yesterday, Erstad actually said our goal of hosting is over. We lost that goal, he said. He went on to say we need to just focus and play these last games out to win.

I'm glad he said it. Brings the guys down to earth and focusing on the task ahead.

It's all on the assumption that NU finishes strong. What will the committee value? Will they value conference record more than RPI/SOS? If so, no NU wouldn't host over Iowa. Do they value money? That's proven....and that would be a huge advantage for NU. The NCAA would rather have 7K butts in the seat rather than 2K. Either way, Nebraska still has a lot of work to do to even talk about hosting. NU probably needs to win 5 against Purdue/NW and win the Illini series which will be a tough task for this team.

Um. Iowa had 3,000 on Sunday of a crappy weather weekend vs UN with no additional seating brought in. I'm not sure how many seats they can supply for a regional but whatever that amount is, it will be packed SRO. Thought I heard 4,500. The $ you are claiming wouldn't be an issue whatsoever in Iowa.

There is no way UN would host over Iowa unless Iowa loses all 3 series badly and UN were to win out. Which I don't see either scenario happening.

Um. Iowa had 3,000 on Sunday of a crappy weather weekend vs UN with no additional seating brought in. I'm not sure how many seats they can supply for a regional but whatever that amount is, it will be packed SRO. Thought I heard 4,500. The $ you are claiming wouldn't be an issue whatsoever in Iowa.

There is no way UN would host over Iowa unless Iowa loses all 3 series badly and UN were to win out. Which I don't see either scenario happening.

Um, Nebraska had over 8,600 last time they hosted a regional. Sorry, it's not always about wins and losses for the NCAA when selecting these sites. Iowa will have the sweep over NU, and a better conference record. Outside of that...everything else falls in NU's favor if they finish strong. RPI is a very big factor in determining regional host sites.

Um, Nebraska had over 8,600 last time they hosted a regional. Sorry, it's not always about wins and losses for the NCAA when selecting these sites. Iowa will have the sweep over NU, and a better conference record. Outside of that...everything else falls in NU's favor if they finish strong. RPI is a very big factor in determining regional host sites.
I never said Iowa would exceed UN's attendance this year in a regional. Iowa simply doesn't have the facility yet to handle that many. But attendance won't be a factor in the NCAA between selecting UN or Iowa. Iowa will sell out.

Heller is kind of using the blue print that Van Horn used to build UN (and now Arkansas) though so I can see a day when Iowa can draw that well. He had an excellent podcast last week with Hawkeye Report (it was really long) that he talked about DVH and how he trained the athletic departments and fans at both schools how to be a baseball program and baseball fans. It is fun to listen to and then watch what is taking place.

No. Not EVERYTHING falls NU's favor even if they "finish strong". Well, if they sweep Illinois it would help even that out but that aint happening. There are road wins and top 50 wins that give an edge to Iowa. RPI can be skewed (see discussion elswhere on D1baseball.com.) I.E. Iowa has some lower tier wins that hurt them and some non D1 wins that don't even count.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT