What will Luke Do?

Oldie but goodie

Redshirt Freshman
May 15, 2018
He has some thinking to do over the off season:

1. He returns and stays at QB
2. He returns and moves to wide receiver
3. He transfers to a non power 5 to play QB

I would imagine his dad knows he is not power 5 QB material, remember this is a kid who didn't start until his senior year at a private school, the experiment failed and is over.

Reactions: Catch50

I would imagine his dad knows he is not power 5 QB material, remember this is a kid who didn't start until his senior year at a private school, the experiment failed and is over.
McCaffrey may or may not cut it as a college QB, but he didn't start sooner at QB for Valor Christian because it's a football powerhouse that cranks out a lot of D1 players. The notion that it's just some little private school is absolute nonsense. Ed McCaffrey probably took a cut in his recruiting budget when he moved from Valor to Northern Colorado.

I think 1. He's going to be the top backup to a senior next year, and the favorite to win the job in 2022. That seems like a really good situation for him.

I agree that he hasn't proven to be a P5 QB, but with his work ethic who knows. Maybe it'll happen if he gets another year or two to develop. It'll be an interesting battle between Luke, Smothers, and Haarberg for who takes over after AM.

I think 1. He's going to be the top backup to a senior next year, and the favorite to win the job in 2022. That seems like a really good situation for him.

I agree that he hasn't proven to be a P5 QB, but with his work ethic who knows. Maybe it'll happen if he gets another year or two to develop. It'll be an interesting battle between Luke, Smothers, and Haarberg for who takes over after AM.
adrian will be a jr again next year, and I fully expect him to be a 5-year starter here.

Number 1; I think we'll see a big improvement next year.

He won't beat out Smothers

Reactions: CatColumbia
He already did.

The question is should Frost move him permanently, and I think he should.
No he didn't as he didn't even compete for the backup and that's fact as all as Smothers was gonna be this year was a last resort

Enough with the bagging on Luke. He might prove to be better than Amart. If Amart is the same addle-brained QB we've seen for the last few years, make him the backup. Let Luke get the snaps with the 1st string. And for the love for all is holy Scott Frost, play to your players strengths. If the QB can't run your offense and you don't have anyone else that can run it effectively (called losing), put in your best guy and play call to his strengths. Run heavy and play action if necessary. LMC may just be the man.

Yeah.. I'm being optimistic because I don't know if this program can survive AM being a 5-year starter. After next year I think moving on will be the best thing for everyone.

Hopefully, Adrian’s days as a starter are over. He has been below average for 2 years now

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

Option 4. Nothing to think about and come back as a sophomore as a backup to AM.

I would say his lots to think about moment will come in Spring or Fall 2022. If he isn't firmly in the #1 QB spot he will need to make some decisions.

get him in the chow line and the weight room. we have to be able to complete the 30+ passes at some mediocre level to open up the field for our running game(as soon as we find where that went).

McCaffrey may or may not cut it as a college QB, but he didn't start sooner at QB for Valor Christian because it's a football powerhouse that cranks out a lot of D1 players. The notion that it's just some little private school is absolute nonsense. Ed McCaffrey probably took a cut in his recruiting budget when he moved from Valor to Northern Colorado.
Who said it was a tiny little school? Seems like manufactured outrage.

Who said it was a tiny little school? Seems like manufactured outrage.
It's not outrage - manufactured or otherwise. I'm pointing out that the whole Luke-didn't-even-start-till-he-wuz-a-senior narrative is tired blather from people who have no idea WTF they are talking about.

Reactions: timnsun
It's not outrage - manufactured or otherwise. I'm pointing out that the whole Luke-didn't-even-start-till-he-wuz-a-senior narrative is tired blather from people who have no idea WTF they are talking about.

the QBs that played ahead of him were Stenstrom (?sp) who committed to Colorado and I believe his brother who committed to Michigan

both of those QBs have/will transfer - his brother opted out of 2020 and the Colorado commit is transferring to Princeton

having said that I’m not sure many power 5 programs were recruiting Luke as a QB - he committed to one of the only ones that agreed to let him play QB

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
the QBs that played ahead of him were Stenstrom (?sp) who committed to Colorado and I believe his brother who committed to Michigan

both of those QBs have/will transfer - his brother opted out of 2020 and the Colorado commit is transferring to Princeton

having said that I’m not sure many power 5 QBs were recruiting Luke as a QB - he committed to one of the only ones that agreed to let him play QB
might need to edit this one again, chief

There are several common problems here. Neither Adrian or Like can take the constant pounding of the B1G as they have shown. As Tuco said, reduce the number of QB carries. Both are getting killed.

I don't see Luke as an effective passer good enough to win big. He can run until he gets clocked like he always does. One could argue that Luke's body if work in passing is small but it still doesn't paint an encouraging picture.

This team, given the current offense, will not be successful until we have some highly affective QB play going down field. I don't think the short game is going to get us where we want to be, at least it hasn't so far.

There are several common problems here. Neither Adrian or Like can take the constant pounding of the B1G as they have shown. As Tuco said, reduce the number of QB carries. Both are getting killed.

I don't see Luke as an effective passer good enough to win big. He can run until he gets clocked like he always does. One could argue that Luke's body if work in passing is small but it still doesn't paint an encouraging picture.

This team, given the current offense, will not be successful until we have some highly affective QB play going down field. I don't think the short game is going to get us where we want to be, at least it hasn't so far.
there is really not room for martinez, mccaffrey, and smothers on the same team for as many years as they each have left to play. Mccaffery has already been here 2 years. Martinez might still be here for 2 more years. Smothers will be in year 2 next year. Somebody is going to switch positions or leave. thats the answer.

Luke should prob focus on becoming a WR. If I was his dad, I'd send him to a school that has a track record of WR development.. That school certainly isn't Nebraska.

Or maybe as a safety. ????

Reactions: NikkiSixx
No he didn't as he didn't even compete for the backup and that's fact as all as Smothers was gonna be this year was a last resort
How is this a fact? This year was a freebie. Even in Smothers played in all 7 games this year he still comes back as a freshman next year. Knowing that, Why wouldn’t he be a part of the competition?

Can you share how you know this is a fact?

How is this a fact? This year was a freebie. Even in Smothers played in all 7 games this year he still comes back as a freshman next year. Knowing that, Why wouldn’t he be a part of the competition?

Can you share how you know this is a fact?
He wasn't gonna play this year as it was already decided as he spent most of the year up until late this summer early fall healing from 2 broken and 1 cracked rib by a cheap shot suffered a week before his state playoffs in Nov 2019. Ribs take a LONG time to heal competely such as a year and in some cases more than a year depending on a persons physiology or makeup as not everyone is the same and the ribs that were broken. Not only that, but if he was gonna play it would've been against Rutgers as that was his best chance all year but the coaching staff decided against it.

Last edited:
Luke should prob focus on becoming a WR. If I was his dad, I'd send him to a school that has a track record of WR development.. That school certainly isn't Nebraska.
I would say Lubick and Frost have developed a lot of good receivers over the years.

Reactions: jselmer
ADVERTISEMENT