ADVERTISEMENT

What Should Frost Do?

run mills, wandel, martinez, ...everyone block who doesn't have the ball...set up a pass like every 5th - 10th play.
work silently on recruiting a qb that can pass.
blitz more.
don't go on a firing spree....

The receivers were terrible for most of the year. A lot of the young guys didn't know what they were doing. We had guys who couldn't even line up correctly. It looks more and more like Walters wasn't the problem, and the problem is directly with Frost.
We had true freshmen WRs who didn't get spring ball, summer 7 on 7s or a normal fall camp. That's not on Frost. The only new guy I saw play who didn't know where to line up was Omar. Oliver Martin came in late and he played well and seemed to know the playbook. Fleming looked good before he flaked out. Some of it is on the kid to hit the books.

We had true freshmen WRs who didn't get spring ball, summer 7 on 7s or a normal fall camp. That's not on Frost. The only new guy I saw play who didn't know where to line up was Omar. Oliver Martin came in late and he played well and seemed to know the playbook. Fleming looked good before he flaked out. Some of it is on the kid to hit the books.
in three years, Frost can't put together a workable passing game? You're making excuses for not having WR's pan out.. but the reality is, lots of players have come and gone.. it's a rotating turnstile, and that is on Frost. Don't forget he chased off all the guys we had that could pass when he got here too. Frost is a disaster.

in three years, Frost can't put together a workable passing game? You're making excuses for not having WR's pan out.. but the reality is, lots of players have come and gone.. it's a rotating turnstile, and that is on Frost. Don't forget he chased off all the guys we had that could pass when he got here too. Frost is a disaster.

It was Gebbia choice to transfer and Frost didn’t kick his ass or chase him out the door...

Reactions: bshirt73
It was Gebbia choice to transfer and Frost didn’t kick his ass or chase him out the door...
It was Frost's player mismanagement and poor treatment of stringing Gebbia along, that led to his transfer. Had he been forthright that Adrian was going to get the job after the Spring game, then maybe none of this would have happened, and we might have a viable passer on the roster. The fact is, Frost has seemingly had many examples of player mismanagement the past 3 years as evidenced by the number of players coming in and back out the door.

It was Frost's player mismanagement and poor treatment of stringing Gebbia along, that led to his transfer. Had he been forthright that Adrian was going to get the job after the Spring game, then maybe none of this would have happened, and we might have a viable passer on the roster. The fact is, Frost has seemingly had many examples of player mismanagement the past 3 years as evidenced by the number of players coming in and back out the door.

Let’s hear these examples mismanaged players leaving the program and you can’t use or count the players that left before the season started to go back to Florida...

And he's been worse than AM at his new school, as has POB.
can you really make those claims? are you going to use individual stats or team wins to make that type of apples to oranges claim?
I find that hard to believe, because AM has been horrible, at least here.

Maybe there is a fitment issue for those players and they would play better in a different system, as would AM.. so to me, you really can't make that kind of claim at all.

Let’s hear these examples mismanaged players leaving the program and you can’t use or count the players that left before the season started to go back to Florida...
it's been a revolving door of player mismanagement from the RB room, to WR room, to QB room, to DB room to Center position, Punter/Kicker.. you name it... it's been mismanaged.

it's been a revolving door of player mismanagement from the RB room, to WR room, to QB room, to DB room to Center position, Punter/Kicker.. you name it... it's been mismanaged.

What running backs and wide receivers did he run off ? the ones that left it was on their terms or they had other personal problems they were dealing with to take care of...

can you really make those claims? are you going to use individual stats or team wins to make that type of apples to oranges claim?

Maybe there is a fitment issue for those players and they would play better in a different system, as would AM.. so to me, you really can't make that kind of claim at all.

I don't get the infatuation with Gebbia.

Tristan Gebbia is 2-3 as a starter. Wins and losses wise. The most important stat for the position. Winning % is 40%

Adrian Martinez is 11-16 as a starter. Wins and losses wise. The most important stat for the position. Winning % is 40%

Individual stats: Martinez is 24th in QBR for FCS QB's out of 124 ranked players.

Individual stats: Gebbia is 99th in QBR for FCS QB's out of 124 ranked players.

So, if we want a QB who loses the same amount of games, and puts up worse stats that Martinez, then we should have kept Gebbia.

For the record, I think Martinez needs to be the backup here for the remainder of his career. However, we would be no better off, and probably a lot worse off, if we had Gebbia under center. Unless you want to discount both wins/losses and individual statistics.

What makes you think that it was manipulation and AM didn't just win the QB competition? You don't know what you think you know.

What makes you think that it was manipulation and AM didn't just win the QB competition? You don't know what you think you know.
because the position was promised to Adrian for his commitment and Frost held the fake competition open until the transfer window had closed (for semester based schools). Gebbia got his transfer due to a difference in the way quarters based school calculates the transfer window.

because the position was promised to Adrian for his commitment and Frost held the fake competition open until the transfer window had closed (for semester based schools). Gebbia got his transfer due to a difference in the way quarters based school calculates the transfer window.

Again. You don't know what you think you know. Provide evidence that AM was promised the starting job.

How can you make the claim? By any metic possible.

AM: #24 Rated QB (3-5 record)
POB: #76 Rated QB (1-3 record)
Gebbia: #99 Rated QB (2-5 record)

How can you make the claim? By any metic possible.

AM: #24 Rated QB (3-5 record)
POB: #76 Rated QB (1-3 record)
Gebbia: #99 Rated QB (2-5 record)

but those players are not on this team.. to me, the human condition is still about fitment. You can't just plug and play players and have it work like that across different teams. You see this all the time in the NFL too.

but those players are not on this team.. to me, the human condition is still about fitment. You can't just plug and play players and have it work like that across different teams. You see this all the time in the NFL too.
I don't understand your crusade. Yes we need Adrian to play better but as of right now we don't have a better QB on the roster. You can't just snap your fingers and replace Adrian. The dude is the best we have right now and he's helped us immensely with his feet. Just need to cut down on the turnovers and he'll be fine.

Reactions: bshirt73 and WHCSC
I don't understand your crusade. Yes we need Adrian to play better but as of right now we don't have a better QB on the roster. You can't just snap your fingers and replace Adrian. The dude is the best we have right now and he's helped us immensely with his feet. Just need to cut down on the turnovers and he'll be fine.
My crusade is not against Adrian, it's against Frost. This is all Frosts' doing. He did the recruiting. He has been the one mismanaging talent on and off the field.

When you say, he is the best we have, who's fault is that? It's Scott's fault. He put us in this position and by not taking a transfer QB, he's going to continue to keep us in this position.

I really don't see how it's that difficult to understand.

Do you want to watch this same re-run for another 2 years? That's what is going to happen.

Reactions: oldjar07
My crusade is not against Adrian, it's against Frost. This is all Frosts' doing. He did the recruiting. He has been the one mismanaging talent on and off the field.

When you say, he is the best we have, who's fault is that? It's Scott's fault. He put us in this position and by not taking a transfer QB, he's going to continue to keep us in this position.

Do you want to watch this same re-run for another 2 years? That's what is going to happen.
Nope Logan Smothers..

You don't just take a transfer QB to take a transfer QB. Show me which guy would be better than Adrian. We don't know at this point if Frost is or isn't trying to find a transfer QB. A one and done guy isn't going to come to NU without the guarantee of starting that you theorize Adrian got. IMO, our best bet is to find a high school recruit with demonstrated success at a high level in high school. Personally while I understand Frost would have been destroyed had he let Haarberg go elsewhere and have success, I think taking him was a mistake. JMO. We need a guy who can walk on campus and compete for the job on day one. He's 6-5 and 185lbs. Maybe he turns in to Trevor Lawrence but I doubt it.

Reactions: scarletred
Nope Logan Smothers..
Logan has to show it. IF he were better than Luke, we would have seen him in that Minnesota game. He's number 3 on the depth chart and I don't think Frost was playing Luke just to keep him from transferring.

You don't just take a transfer QB to take a transfer QB. Show me which guy would be better than Adrian. We don't know at this point if Frost is or isn't trying to find a transfer QB. A one and done guy isn't going to come to NU without the guarantee of starting that you theorize Adrian got. IMO, our best bet is to find a high school recruit with demonstrated success at a high level in high school. Personally while I understand Frost would have been destroyed had he let Haarberg go elsewhere and have success, I think taking him was a mistake. JMO. We need a guy who can walk on campus and compete for the job on day one. He's 6-5 and 185lbs. Maybe he turns in to Trevor Lawrence but I doubt it.
We desperately need one.. not just to take one. Martinez is a turnover machine. Luke can't pass. Logan is just a true freshman, and we don't know how he is going to turn out yet. I think it's obvious that we need a transfer QB, an upperclass one with a year or two to play. There were some guys available, but I doubt Frost has any inkling to do it. What changes has he made so far since this season's 3-5 run?

ps. I like Haarberg, but he's also young and raw.. needs development.. do you trust Mario to develop him?

Logan has to show it. IF he were better than Luke, we would have seen him in that Minnesota game. He's number 3 on the depth chart and I don't think Frost was playing Luke just to keep him from transferring.

I was referring to last season I’m counting on sometime during regular season next fall..

Logan didn’t have spring ball and was nursing a rib injury from what I’ve been told that he was put on the shelf so to speak...

Reactions: dinglefritz
We desperately need one.. not just to take one. Martinez is a turnover machine. Luke can't pass. Logan is just a true freshman, and we don't know how he is going to turn out yet. I think it's obvious that we need a transfer QB, an upperclass one with a year or two to play. There were some guys available, but I doubt Frost has any inkling to do it. What changes has he made so far since this season's 3-5 run?

ps. I like Haarberg, but he's also young and raw.. needs development.. do you trust Mario to develop him?
Historically at NU, transfer QBs struggle their first year at NU whether it was Frost or Zac Taylor. If we could get a very talented freshman or sophomore who was willing to redshirt fine, but I don't think we're going to find a one and done who would be more successful than Adrian. JMO. Hell Burrow struggled the first year he played for LSU.

Reactions: red scowl
Historically at NU, transfer QBs struggle their first year at NU whether it was Frost or Zac Taylor. If we could get a very talented freshman or sophomore who was willing to redshirt fine, but I don't think we're going to find a one and done who would be more successful than Adrian. JMO. Hell Burrow struggled the first year he played for LSU.

Exactly, great point.. might take 2 years for a transfer to make a difference unlike Payton Ramsey...

Exactly, great point.. might take 2 years for a transfer to make a difference unlike Payton Ramsey...
Hey IF a guy like Fields pops up on the radar I'll take him. I don't see it happening though. Usually those kind of guys are leaving a current school to go start for a national championship contender with a highly thought of O line and skill position guys. Kirby Smart is rightly taking some grief for letting that guy get away. I'm sure he "ran him off".

Reactions: scarletred

Oh jeez! This shit again? Gebbia hasn't been good.

Oh jeez! This shit again? Gebbia hasn't been good.
this was an example of player mismanagement, not who is better at what.. and I do believe Gebbia to be a much better passer than the current guy. We will never know how that would have worked out because he is no longer here because the way he was strung along.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
One thing we can count on - the pecking order of fans wanting QB's to play.

Adrian is the man first year.
Adrian is a Heisman hopeful year two.
Now he is a bum
Luke is answer - come off the bench and be our saviour Luke
Whoops, well Luke isn't the answer
It must be Smothers - that's really our man

I don't pay much attention to who says what on here but I would like to be able to go back or remember what some have said before and what they are saying now. It was all Adrian, Adrian and now its can't wait for Smothers.

Frost isn't an idiot, he knows what he's got and has to work with and I am pretty sure he's aware of how many games he has won in three years.

Reactions: WHCSC
We need both another high school quarterback and a transfer. Haarberg is a development project but bring him in too. We really need to fix this qb room or this coaching staff isn't going to survive very long. The transfer doesn't need to be better than Adrian. Just good enough to be the backup so we can get Luke on the field somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT