ADVERTISEMENT

What Should Frost Do?

HuskerLove1

Sophomore
Sep 22, 2018
I think Verduzco should ‘retire’ and then Frost use that spot to hire the absolute best full-time special teams coach that money can buy. Play-calling should be turned-over to Lubick and Frost should then coach the QB’s himself. I truly believe a lot of our recent QB struggles are due to paralysis by analysis, so maybe Frost can help to alleviate some of the over-thinking introduced by Verduzco.

And Frost should also replace Austin with a new OL coach (again, the absolute best they can hire). Our OL has been way too inconsistent and I can’t believe Frost is happy with the performance - we have more than enough talent at OL to ba a very dominant unit in the B10.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Coach V ride off into the sunset. Hire a play calling OC/QB coach (Helfrich) and have Frost focus on ST and game management during game days. I don’t have much faith in Lubick to call plays. I think he was passed on for those duties at both Oregon and Washington.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Coach V ride off into the sunset. Hire a play calling OC/QB coach (Helfrich) and have Frost focus on ST and game management during game days. I don’t have much faith in Lubick to call plays. I think he was passed on for those duties at both Oregon and Washington.
Then ML just coaches the WR’s only? I don’t think you use a spot solely for WR’s.

Then ML just coaches the WR’s only? I don’t think you use a spot solely for WR’s.

Why not? He should also have a title like passing game coordinator. We have a guy just coaching TE’s. That seems like a bigger issue.

Why not? He should also have a title like passing game coordinator. We have a guy just coaching TE’s. That seems like a bigger issue.
But do you really expect Lubick to take a demotion after being here for 1-year?

I don’t.

But do you really expect Lubick to take a demotion after being here for 1-year?

I don’t.
Maybe not, but I don’t like him calling plays and it doesn’t seem like Frost can handle everything on his plate, right now.

Reactions: bigboxes
Maybe not, but I don’t like him calling plays and it doesn’t seem like Frost can handle everything on his plate, right now.
He’s definitely spreading himself too thin, and much of it is his own fault for not hiring the best assistants he could (when he took the job) and then allowing them to own their respective disciplines.

My fear is that Frost is a micro-manager which would further explain why he brought his entire UCF staff (because he knew he could control them). Plus, no top-tier coach is going to want to coach under a micro-manager unless the HC’s name is Nick Saban.

Maybe I’m way off-base here, that’s just my read of the situation as on outsider.

Here is My 10 cents, my 2 cents is free.

Never liked The QB coach hire. I hope he leaves.

We need to reduce the number of QB carries by half.

I would like to see our blitz pct. I would like to see even more aggressive defensive play calling.

I would love to see Frost go with the first play called more often and not let the defense have the opportunity to adjust based on formation. Line up and run it.

I’ll think of more but I’m on the road.

Does anyone REALLY believe that Helfrich is looking to take an OC job anywhere other than at a blue blood perennial top 10 university in a desirable part of the country?

I think outside of the situation previously mentioned I think Helfrich is looking more toward a promising head coach position.

Don't get me wrong. I think he would be a fantastic addition both in production of player preparation and on field production as well as recruitment. but i dont see it happening even with an offer of a salary that is double the going rate.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch

I don’t disagree with your take but Lubick makes too much money to not be a offensive coordinator. Which makes me question why the hell Frost got him if he’s still calling the majority of the offensive plays.

Reactions: headcard
Frost obviously is feeling the heat. You could tell by his demeanor after Rutgers.

He knows he needs to make some changes but keeps using the line that they are almost there, just a mistake here and there. That is fine against low to mid-level teams but against the big boys, we are not even in the game.

I assume he has sat down or will with Moos and go over each position coach and determine if they are making the progress he wants. If not, he needs to figure out why. The glaring areas are QB, WR, and O line. I could argue some areas of D but that, to me, is an entire schematic difference more so that individual groups.

QB - did we just bust the first two years of QB recruiting with Adrian and Luke? Where is Smothers and do we really know. I said two years ago when the injury was blamed for Adrians problems that injury was not the problem. He just does not see the field well and is slow on decision making. He is getting a little better but appears he will only get so good as evidence by his TD ratio and downfield throws this year. Luke is not a QB in my opinion and needs to be moved to WR most likely. I don't buy that Adrian is "overcoached" which is really difficult to do. We have just missed on the first two QB's recruited and now we are paying the price. It is difficult to judge where Verdie fits into all of this. Frost has to make the determination that either he isn't developing these guys or they were not good stock to start with.

Why did Lubick sit out a year? He is a young guy and needs to establish himself. He may be too close to Frost and they may think too much alike. I never wanted people around me who thought just like me. The WR development has been almost nonexistent but is that due to the WR or the QB? Could be both but we have issues there. As far as WR's are concerned, that is a mess. I watched Iowa State and they use practically all TE's and somehow they get open. Amazing that we have recruited which seems like 50 WRS to not have one stand out. Almost every bowl team has a deep threat to take the top of the D. Ohio State destroyed Clemson with the long ball.

The Oline has not made the improvements I would like to see. I am tired of hearing we are young there. The coaches made it a young group intentionally. I wonder if there was too much of "play their guy" thing with guys like Piper. I simply do not like our blocking technique (include TE's in that) body angle, footwork, and ability to do anything in space at the second level. I watch these better bowl teams and they are solid in technique and can create a nice running lane and a clean pocket and after three years, we cannot.

I don't know what to think about play calling. I just don't know what we are doing or seeing most of the time. If it is the QB changing the play or making a read. Did Frost actually call that many swing passes? Other teams use that same concept but not nearly as often as we do and they can execute it. I loved the patience of the Iowa State running game, wish we had that. That all comes back to our O line and offensive philosophy which seems confusing right now.

I just think there is some serious soul searching going on in the program right now. Frost knows this isn't working and it can't continue. After year three there isn't the progress anyone hoped for, that is clear and doing the same things won't fix that. Getting better athletes will help but not fix the problem in my opinion.

Love Frost and I hope he figures it out, but it would take a major change of direction that I just don’t see happening. Special Teams, Play Calling/Game Management and QB play are the difference in being at least 0.500 or better. The approach to these three aspects have not changed since the Colorado game in 2018... I would contend that if we run the ball on 3-4 more plays and burn clock in the first Colorado game, Frost would have had momentum and a winning season his first year. But, the game management has not changed and here we are. Unfortunately, I don’t see him making changes and as a result the futility will continue... He is like a less successful Ferentz. Never better than we are right now...

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
If staffing changes do occur, it’ll be interesting to see when that actually happens. IMO it needs to be ASAP now that basically all schools are done playing for the year.

Get those guys in the program as early as possible to allow maximum impact going into next season.

Reactions: jsachisler
Love Frost and I hope he figures it out, but it would take a major change of direction that I just don’t see happening. Special Teams, Play Calling/Game Management and QB play are the difference in being at least 0.500 or better. The approach to these three aspects have not changed since the Colorado game in 2018... I would contend that if we run the ball on 3-4 more plays and burn clock in the first Colorado game, Frost would have had momentum and a winning season his first year. But, the game management has not changed and here we are. Unfortunately, I don’t see him making changes and as a result the futility will continue... He is like a less successful Ferentz. Never better than we are right now...

The game management has changed. We ran over 7:00 minutes off the clock on our last possession to win the Rutgers game. If we had been able to do that early on Frost’s tenure we would have won more games (NW, Colorado). I have zero doubts he will try to change what he can and thinks he should. He has already let two members of his staff go. This narrative that he is stubborn or won’t make changes is kind of crazy.

I actually do think the injury is a fair argument for Adrian’s stagnant play. If he does not have confidence he can make a throw I could come off late and indecisive. Part of my logic is look at minnesota game. Nearly perfect completion percentage pre going to tent and like 4/15 post. Question is can he heel enough anc overcome mental block. I also believe he has been over coached as he was playing fearless as a freshman and now looks indecisive. Finally Nebraska is way too dependent on qb run game and our qbs get hit way too much . Also lack of weapons has hurt down field throwing as Adrian was pretty good with Morgan and jd. Which is a little different than throwing to Cade Warner
I think Verduzco should ‘retire’ and then Frost use that spot to hire the absolute best full-time special teams coach that money can buy. Play-calling should be turned-over to Lubick and Frost should then coach the QB’s himself. I truly believe a lot of our recent QB struggles are due to paralysis by analysis, so maybe Frost can help to alleviate some of the over-thinking introduced by Verduzco.

And Frost should also replace Austin with a new OL coach (again, the absolute best they can hire). Our OL has been way too inconsistent and I can’t believe Frost is happy with the performance - we have more than enough talent at OL to ba a very dominant unit in the B10.

The game management has changed. We ran over 7:00 minutes off the clock on our last possession to win the Rutgers game. If we had been able to do that early on Frost’s tenure we would have won more games (NW, Colorado). I have zero doubts he will try to change what he can and thinks he should. He has already let two members of his staff go. This narrative that he is stubborn or won’t make changes is kind of crazy.
Yes, NU rushed 58 times vs Rutgers and passed 28 times. Problem is, after rushing for 39 times and passing 21 times against PSU (almost 2:1) and hanging on to win, they turn around and rush only 44 times against Ill and toss it 30 times, including the horrible first play of the game. This against a bad rushing defense. And therein lies the problem. Just when I think the scheme has settled down to a run to set up the pass deal, the next game they come out with all the wild crap. I have no doubt the first play next year be it in Ireland or Champaign will be a double-reverse halfback pass that gets blown up for a 20 yard loss. Until Frost can coach a few consecutive games where he has a "plan" (read identity) and sticks to it, I'm not convinced things will change.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Yes, NU rushed 58 times vs Rutgers and passed 28 times. Problem is, after rushing for 39 times and passing 21 times against PSU (almost 2:1) and hanging on to win, they turn around and rush only 44 times against Ill and toss it 30 times, including the horrible first play of the game. This against a bad rushing defense. And therein lies the problem. Just when I think the scheme has settled down to a run to set up the pass deal, the next game they come out with all the wild crap. I have no doubt the first play next year be it in Ireland or Champaign will be a double-reverse halfback pass that gets blown up for a 20 yard loss. Until Frost can coach a few consecutive games where he has a "plan" (read identity) and sticks to it, I'm not convinced things will change.

In the Illinois game we got way behind and couldn’t stop them. LM was a disaster and so was the defense. The Minnesota game was much more of a head scratcher for me, as far as run/pass ratio.

I actually do think the injury is a fair argument for Adrian’s stagnant play. If he does not have confidence he can make a throw I could come off late and indecisive. Part of my logic is look at minnesota game. Nearly perfect completion percentage pre going to tent and like 4/15 post. Question is can he heel enough anc overcome mental block. I also believe he has been over coached as he was playing fearless as a freshman and now looks indecisive. Finally Nebraska is way too dependent on qb run game and our qbs get hit way too much . Also lack of weapons has hurt down field throwing as Adrian was pretty good with Morgan and jd. Which is a little different than throwing to Cade Warner
The qb run game is the only thing keeping us in some games. They need to teach the qb's how to throw the ball downfield, but the qb run game is not a problem.

Reactions: BrighteRed24

Get Calley back for o line coach. 2nd choice is Richie. That group needs a major dose of nasty.

The qb run game is the only thing keeping us in some games. They need to teach the qb's how to throw the ball downfield, but the qb run game is not a problem.

It can be if, and we are, running the QB too much and both are often hurt. If people think Adrian's injuries have affects his passing then he needs to not get hit so much. That is putting a lot on your QB when he is your leading rusher and passer, something is wrong there.

It is a problem. Not sustainable. It is a compensation for poor o-line play and/or poor rb play. And more qb gets hurt worse he throws
It can be if, and we are, running the QB too much and both are often hurt. If people think Adrian's injuries have affects his passing then he needs to not get hit so much. That is putting a lot on your QB when he is your leading rusher and passer, something is wrong there.

A couple of things,

The one thing that made Frost an attractive candidate to many schools was how he ran his offense. Since coming to Nebraska, his offense has changed significantly. That could be because he doesn't have a QB that can run his offense, he doesn't have the athletes on the outside and at RB to take pressure off the QB or it could be that he is changing his philosophy. Probably a combo of all 3.

This offense, he has used in the past, is not necessarily a run first offense. Or an offense that needs to establish the run first to be successful in the passing game. It is designed to be balanced and allow the offense to run what it needs to in order to move the ball. That is why you see them throwing the ball more, by design, in some games and running the ball more in others. I think teams that need to run the ball to be open up the passing game, Wisconsin, Iowa, old school Nebraska run into trouble when that phase of the game is taken away.

This offense, as used in the past, never ran the qb more than 8-12 times per game. The QB was not the primary runner in the offense.

Last, this offense, as used in the past, is not necessarily a ball control offense, especially in quarters 1-3. I have data on another computer, that details the TOP and the run/pass ratio of Frost as a play caller, broken down by quarter and further broken down in wins and losses. But the long and short of it is that his teams were 50/50 run/pass for the first 3 quarters of games and were closer to 70/30 in the 4th quarter and TOP was lower in first 3 quarters when they were getting the leads and higher in the 4th when they were milking clock. Again, outside of the first year at UCF, his teams were winning a huge majority of their games.

Sorry, I am in a training, so the exact data is not available to me

I hate how many situational calls Frost tries to do. We should have pounded things with Mills and Co. all season long.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
So you really think Frost fires and/or demotes Lubick to WR coach?

Zero chance - big difference between what you may like to see happen and something called reality.
You call him Co-OC. Not a demotion technically but you can bring in another guy.

He’s pretty highly regarded. He was the National WR coach if the year at Duke in 2012 and is a very good recruiter.
He replaced a guy who was failing in recruiting and was failing as WR coach and O.C. When I look at this past year, I don't have nearly as much complaint with the play calling as I do with our QB's execution of the plays. The 3 pass plays in a row for Luke when Adrian had to leave the game against Minnesota was a problem though. We've had guys running open and we couldn't hit them. Way too many turnovers and missed opportunities from our QBs. Our QB play killed us against Minnesota and for the first half of the Rutgers game. We HAVE to fix the QB play. Verdusco has had 3 years with Adrian. It's probably time to give somebody else a shot at him.

He replaced a guy who was failing in recruiting and was failing as WR coach and O.C. When I look at this past year, I don't have nearly as much complaint with the play calling as I do with our QB's execution of the plays. The 3 pass plays in a row for Luke when Adrian had to leave the game against Minnesota was a problem though. We've had guys running open and we couldn't hit them. Way too many turnovers and missed opportunities from our QBs. Our QB play killed us against Minnesota and for the first half of the Rutgers game. We HAVE to fix the QB play. Verdusco has had 3 years with Adrian. It's probably time to give somebody else a shot at him.
The receivers were terrible for most of the year. A lot of the young guys didn't know what they were doing. We had guys who couldn't even line up correctly. It looks more and more like Walters wasn't the problem, and the problem is directly with Frost.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT