ADVERTISEMENT

What position could armstrong play in the pro's?

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
could we put him at running back next year? to give him a chance to see the NFL?

Not a chance. First he doesn't have pro skills that I see. He's too short for TE. He is a long strider so I don't see wide out working or corner. Frankly, I think the only other position he would have a chance to play on our team is safety...and that is if he is willing to hit people. He might be serviceable as an inside slot receiver but not sure he has the quicks for that.

Tommie Armstrong will likely be a successful professional something - just not a football player.

Could try it out in the CFL. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened with Riley and Langsdorfs connections to Canada.

I just don't seem him in the NFL at any position.

I think armstrong has athletic talent, Im just trying to figure out how to use that better to get us more wins and him a legit shot at playing on the next level.

Yeah, I'm not seeing it in the NFL, unless there is some big uptick in passing skills next year.

Riley's job isn't to promote player's to hopefully be drafted as high as possible, his job is to win at Nebraska. TA is our best option at QB and at the college level, QB is his best position. If pro teams want him to work out at different positions, that's their choice at the combine/workouts after next season is over. I agree with most on this board that TA is not a high level prospect at QB at the next level - he might be able to make a practice squad or latch on as a back-up/emergency QB like Chase Daniels or so, but so far he has not displayed near the accuracy or ability to read a defense to be a serious prospect at the next level.

With how critical QB is to the game, moving him to a different position just to try and see if he can showcase a skillset for the next level would make no sense. If he were to be legit beat out for the QB spot by POB or one of the others and wanted to move to try and help the team similar to Braxton Miller this past year, that's a different story. But I fully expect him to be our starting QB to open next year.

He could play any of them with the right amount of coaching, nutrition, strength training, and legal/illegal hormone/steroid cycles.

Riley's job isn't to promote player's to hopefully be drafted as high as possible, his job is to win at Nebraska. TA is our best option at QB and at the college level, QB is his best position. If pro teams want him to work out at different positions, that's their choice at the combine/workouts after next season is over. I agree with most on this board that TA is not a high level prospect at QB at the next level - he might be able to make a practice squad or latch on as a back-up/emergency QB like Chase Daniels or so, but so far he has not displayed near the accuracy or ability to read a defense to be a serious prospect at the next level.

With how critical QB is to the game, moving him to a different position just to try and see if he can showcase a skillset for the next level would make no sense. If he were to be legit beat out for the QB spot by POB or one of the others and wanted to move to try and help the team similar to Braxton Miller this past year, that's a different story. But I fully expect him to be our starting QB to open next year.

Chase was a booger, but he was 10x the QB that Tommy is. Hopefully, Tommy improves a ton next season. If he doesn't O'Brien better be ready.

I've been of the opinion that TA has been maxed out for awhile now. We saw a bump at the beginning of the year, then things regressed again.

He might be able to make a team as a special teams player due to his athleticism, but he's not on the level of a Cam Newton/Russell Wilson or even Jameis Winston at the QB position.

I hope they use next season to start getting O'Brien going in some games.. at minimum, a series or two in each game to kind of ease him into things.

POB is not a top 10 recruit. Please stop with this nonsense. We will be sub 500 if he plays. They actually play defense in this league.

Pro what?

Does he know anything about Cricket?

qyCbNzV.gif

Can you refresh my memory and tell me what our record was this year?

6-7 ....May be worse if we have to start a freshmen behind our Oline. People forget a lot of our passing Td's came from TA avoiding a sack first. If the we have an great Oline, then I can see that. But until that it is fixed. No way POB needs to be starting for us.

We kept asking for TA to go through his progressions. Realistically how many passes can we say he had time to go through progressions. I say the most was in the bowl game. They did a good job of protecting him IMO. This was after figuring out where the ball was going to be snapped. Glad we finally learned how to do that by the end of the season.

POB is not a top 10 recruit. Please stop with this nonsense. We will be sub 500 if he plays. They actually play defense in this league.

In case you didn't notice, we were sub 500 with a third year QB this year. Tommy can't make the simple throws. A good freshman can throw a screen and a slant.

Reactions: huskerssalts
6-7 ....May be worse if we have to start a freshmen behind our Oline. People forget a lot of our passing Td's came from TA avoiding a sack first. If the we have an great Oline, then I can see that. But until that it is fixed. No way POB needs to be starting for us.

We kept asking for TA to go through his progressions. Realistically how many passes can we say he had time to go through progressions. I say the most was in the bowl game. They did a good job of protecting him IMO. This was after figuring out where the ball was going to be snapped. Glad we finally learned how to do that by the end of the season.

How dare the coaches expect a 3 year starter to be able to look to more than one receiver?

TA will have to go free agent if he wants to play at the NFL level. More likely CFL and he can grow into the QB position at the pro level there.

He has been up and down during his time at Nebraska. Hope he goes out on a high note and the team follows.

Reactions: huskerj12
How dare we expect a coach who has coached for 30 years to not make pee wee football decisions during a game. And lead us to 5-7 record... had to be given a bowl game

Not even worth it.

Last edited:
TA's completion % has gone from 51% to 53% to 55% over his last three seasons.

He would need that to jump 10 points in order to have a shot as a pro QB, and toss about 6 less picks this year.

TA completed 65% of his passes in wins. To 48% in losses. 3 of those losses we threw 40 times in 20 MPH winds.

We need to find a way to help him be more consistent to me. IDK. A strong running game maybe.

Most coaches would look at the game he threw well and continue to do that. Most of those games came with a good running effort as well. In 9 out of 12 games TA gave us the lead in the 4th quarter on the last possession of the game.

But yeah it was our QB's fault we were 6-7

Have you seen him run from the RB position? How about catch a ball? Pass block as a TE or as a RB? Can he cover a WR? Can he hit someone?

I am totally amazed at how little people think of the high level of skill required to play these positions and being good at one does not make one good at another. Then throw in the PRO piece and I am totally confounded.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Have you seen him run from the RB position? How about catch a ball? Pass block as a TE or as a RB? Can he cover a WR? Can he hit someone?

I am totally amazed at how little people think of the high level of skill required to play these positions and being good at one does not make one good at another. Then throw in the PRO piece and I am totally confounded.

.....add to the fact he can barely play the position he's been playing for years and the odds get even longer.

It's the lack of ability to hit short to medium passes that make me think the NFL would pass.
but the real glaring weakness is the interceptions. them are just killers that completely turn everything on it's head. but maybe he's turned a corner...I seen him take a sack for a lost against ucla, instead of throwing a pick...he was mad, but maybe deep inside he knew it was the right thing to do?

I watched this new qb and he seems to be a passing machine, so I was just wondering if armstrong's great running skills might help him be a running back in the NFL because unfortunately his passing game lacks too much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT