ADVERTISEMENT

What is the over under?

Cloud@Heart

Senior
Aug 13, 2005
Helena, MT
On the number of weeks that the Huskers are in the top 10 next year? I am placing the number at 1.5!

They were there last year, but will they be at any point next year?

So much unknown with this team... But here's as optimistic as I can possibly be... If the Huskers get to 6-0 with wins over Oregon and Wisconsin. (Which I would like to think is possible) Oregon has a new coaching staff. Wisconsin in Lincoln. Does a 6-0 team make the top 10???? ......Game 7 is Ohio State in Lincoln. Hard to see that as anything but a loss right now. So 6-1... Then Purdue, NW, Minny.. Does 7,8,9-1 Make the top 10???.. Game 11 is at Penn St. 11-2.. Close out with Iowa in Lincoln 12-2... 12-2 Is Top 10. Then the Huskers go to Indianapolis and pull off a huge revenge upset of OSU and THEY MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!!!! Hell yeah, give me the over!!!! Go Big Red! Go Big Red! Go Big Red!

So much unknown with this team... But here's as optimistic as I can possibly be... If the Huskers get to 6-0 with wins over Oregon and Wisconsin. (Which I would like to think is possible) Oregon has a new coaching staff. Wisconsin in Lincoln. Does a 6-0 team make the top 10???? ......Game 7 is Ohio State in Lincoln. Hard to see that as anything but a loss right now. So 6-1... Then Purdue, NW, Minny.. Does 7,8,9-1 Make the top 10???.. Game 11 is at Penn St. 11-2.. Close out with Iowa in Lincoln 12-2... 12-2 Is Top 10. Then the Huskers go to Indianapolis and pull off a huge revenge upset of OSU and THEY MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!!!! Hell yeah, give me the over!!!! Go Big Red! Go Big Red! Go Big Red!

N-sane is insane and I like it! I was hoping to knock off the Badgers and be top ten for at least a week!

Reactions: N-sane
Bartender give me some of what N-sane and headcard are drinking.....o_O
I said win at Oregon and we should be 5-0. What in the world is o_O about that? It is basically the same path we took to the "Top 10" last year.

We were #10 after starting 5-0 last year, but would think we would still be outside the Top 10 in 2017 if we started 5-0, because Oregon may not be ranked when we play them. I think we have to beat Wisconsin to be 10th or better.

Over under 1.....I'm taking under......had Wisconsin/Ohio State come later in the schedule....I'm still likely going under. Too many unknowns.

I said win at Oregon and we should be 5-0. What in the world is o_O about that? It is basically the same path we took to the "Top 10" last year.
There isn't a "I'll drink to that emoticion"so that was as close as I could get. IF we win those games and those 2 teams have impressed up to those points we should be highly ranked. I'll drink to that .

I also see a pretty direct path to a top 10 ranking. Oregon may be in disarray trying to implement a new system. We've seen that here with Callahan and Riley.

Throw in the fact that I think Nebraska has played Wisconsin very well since Riley has come on board and the game is in Lincoln, I think that is a very winnable game. 6-0 = top 10 to me.

By then, hopefully the defense is figuring out the 3-4 and then... ya never know what might happen. This schedule sets up pretty nicely for us, in my opinion.

If we go 6-0 that likely gives us 2 weeks in the top 10, with a bye week following Wiscy. I'll go over.

Last edited:
I also see a pretty direct path to a top 10 ranking. Oregon may be in disarray trying to implement a new system. We've seen that here with Callahan and Riley.

Throw in the fact that I think Nebraska has played Wisconsin very well since Riley has come on board and the game is in Lincoln, I think that is a very winnable game. 6-0 = top 10 to me.

By then, hopefully the defense is figuring out the 3-4 and then... ya never know what might happen. This schedule sets up pretty nicely for us, in my opinion.
I can't believe we are thinking Oregon is a loss. They were terrible last year.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Oregon still has athletes and playing on the road with Nebraska breaking in a new QB and a new defensive system. I don't see how this game is anything but questionable at this time.

Oregon still has athletes and playing on the road with Nebraska breaking in a new QB and a new defensive system. I don't see how this game is anything but questionable at this time.
Oregon was 4-8 last year. If you want to talk about new systems they have it at every position including the head coach.

If we look at the schedule and think that a win against Oregon is questionable, then we have problems. It seems that some of the prognostication that firing a couple of coaches was a means of buying time from the fans/administration, is already on some people's minds.

Oregon was 4-8 last year. If you want to talk about new systems they have it at every position including the head coach.

If we look at the schedule and think that a win against Oregon is questionable, then we have problems. It seems that some of the prognostication that firing a couple of coaches was a means of buying time from the fans/administration, is already on some people's minds.
2015 - Oregon was 9-4, Nebraska was 6-7.
2016 we beat them at home.
How did we beat Oregon last year? They were better than us the year before...

So you see, basing a win over Oregon on the strength of their previous season's record is folly.

2015 - Oregon was 9-4, Nebraska was 6-7.
2016 we beat them at home.
How did we beat Oregon last year? They were better than us the year before...

So you see, basing a win over Oregon on the strength of their previous season's record is folly.
Then every single game is questionable. Why even have a discussion?

We might as well say the Illinois game next year is questionable. They beat us two years ago. Last year they probably win but for a very questionable spot on 4th down inside the 10 yard line...thank goodness we got home cooking. Thus, next year that game in Champagne should be a real toss up especially considering the Illini don't have a bunch of new staff.

That's dumb.

Oregon at home will be a tough game. If pressed, I predict Nebraska wins but I go into that game with a ton of question marks. As mentioned new QB, new defensive system and on the road in what may be a tough environment.

But as mentioned if Nebraska wins that one they have a great chance to start the season with some momentum and have a chance to start 6-0 with a home win vs Wisconsin.

Reactions: dinglefritz

We might as well say the Illinois game next year is questionable. They beat us two years ago. Last year they probably win but for a very questionable spot on 4th down inside the 10 yard line...thank goodness we got home cooking. Thus, next year that game in Champagne should be a real toss up especially considering the Illini don't have a bunch of new staff.

That's dumb.
Tom,

What's dumb is basing a win over Oregon this year on oregon's record last year.

That's not just dumb, that's absurdly dumb.

Remember 96, when the legendary Tom Osborne was shut out by Arizona State after we beat them by 50 the year before?

Basing a win off of the previous year is as naive as one can get. I could offer you hundreds of examples where this line of thinking is faulty.

Quit being stupid... I know it's a tall order for me to ask this, but please, try your hardest.

Tom,

What's dumb is basing a win over Oregon this year on oregon's record last year.

That's not just dumb, that's absurdly dumb.

Remember 96, when the legendary Tom Osborne was shut out by Arizona State after we beat them by 50 the year before?

Basing a win off of the previous year is as naive as one can get. I could offer you hundreds of examples where this line of thinking is faulty.

Quit being stupid... I know it's a tall order for me to ask this, but please, try your hardest.
Well, they will have a new coach at every single position. (You know...the excuse that is already being heard round these parts for us.) Their qbs only played a handful of games. (You know, the excuse that is already being heard round these parts.) Most of the players there were recruited by the former coach and probably loyal to him. (You know, the excuse that keeps being heard round these parts.)

Every excuse we have for possibly losing is magnified for Oregon.

This lady never said it was ONLY based on record.

Please provide the posts where excuses are being made for Nebraska going into 2017.

What I believe you will find is that the posters stating things like that aren't the one you seem to be calling out. It's not those optimistic posters that have typically defended Riley, the so called "sunshine pumpers". Nope it's the folks that are doom and gloom, those that have been pissed off since December 2014 when Nebraska didn't throw $5 million a year at the pound the rock football coach they thought was going to lead the program back to glory.

Well, they will have a new coach at every single position. (You know...the excuse that is already being heard round these parts for us.) Their qbs only played a handful of games. (You know, the excuse that is already being heard round these parts.) Most of the players there were recruited by the former coach and probably loyal to him. (You know, the excuse that keeps being heard round these parts.)

Every excuse we have for possibly losing is magnified for Oregon.

This lady never said it was ONLY based on record.
What you are discounting is the amount of talent that Oregon has. Would you objectively agree they have recruited better than Nebraska in recent years?

Talent all by itself doesn't automatically bring wins, but it sure helps. Maybe a better comparison than Illinois would be Ohio state in urban's first year... they were pretty talented thanks to recruiting. And the coaching was good as well. They were pretty successful, wouldn't you say, even under a first year coach at that place?

Or Michigan under harbaugh... their first year with a brand new cast off QB from Iowa of all places had a fantastic first year as well. If you want more examples I would be happy to provide them to you. But you probably don't want them, since they will only make your argument less potent.

So I guess you're right, Oregon, no matter how talented, will be a cake walk because they have new coaches.

That's a dumb assumption, Tom.

Ummmmmm...you might check the ratings before popping off. Oregon is not anything like Ohio State or Michigan. In the last five years they have an average rating of #22. They have a high rating of #17 and a low rating of #28. That seems more like Nebraska than most top 10 teams.

How the mighty have fallen if we think an average rating of #22 means a team is highly talented with athletes all over the place.

oregon had the more talented team in 2016. we had the better qb. not sure what they have back, but they might have home field, the more talented team, and the better qb in 2017. I would expect us to be the underdog.

Ummmmmm...you might check the ratings before popping off. Oregon is not anything like Ohio State or Michigan. In the last five years they have an average rating of #22. They have a high rating of #17 and a low rating of #28. That seems more like Nebraska than most top 10 teams.

How the mighty have fallen if we think an average rating of #22 means a team is highly talented with athletes all over the place.
Took your advice and checked the ratings. Guess what? Oregon's average of 22 over 5 years is better than Nebraska's average of 25 over 5 years. How many points is home field advantage good for?

Now I definitely see why we should have no trouble with Oregon next year in their back yard. Never mind the fact that we went from 6-7 to 9-4 in one year... no way Oregon could go from 4-8 to a respectable season with a win over Nebraska.

Tom, you really ought to quit... you're gonna lose this one because you're argument has too many holes. The argument is that a win at Oregon isn't a given. But you are saying it absolutely should be. Based on the talent and home field advantage argument, and assuming the coaches can come in and capture the team buy-in from the start, Oregon could easily emerge from that game with a victory. Not to mention Nebraska is breaking in a new QB and a new defensive system with 3 new coaches on defense as well... Why is it so hard to admit that this is a possibility, and maybe a strong one at that?

I guess we're moving goal posts, huh tom? It must be hard not to be able to use the same idioms when you were tom, now that you're masquerading as Tom's wife...

The mighty have fallen Tom. That is the problem with your argument. You are talking about Nebraska as if they are a team with elite talent. Chasing ghosts my man.

That's dumb.

I don't know why you're upset about anyone labeling the Oregon game as "questionable."

It's the first road game with a new QB.

Here's another question:

Does Nebraska earn back to back Primetime home games?

I think The Huskers will have a legit beef wth the Big Ten if at least the Wisconsin game isn't a Night game. Nebraska's last two trips to Madison have been under the lights.

I predict we will finish the year in the top 15 with two stops in the top ten. I think we lose to OSU and PSU, and then again in the B1G title game. Where we end in the ratings depends on how competitive we will be against OSU and PSU.

I think we are going to be a much improved team next year. Call me a koolaid drinker or whatever. But I have never been a wild eyed optimist on here. Heck, a certain poster on here called me once a "classic sky is falling poster".

It is amazing how much difference a good QB can make. If we had had a better QB last year, we would have beaten Wisky and won the West. Think of how much differently we would be viewing our prospects this year had that happened.

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
ADVERTISEMENT