ADVERTISEMENT

What is the deal with the OL?

We don't know if Stai is available, but he would make a huge difference compared to Austin.

I looked at the top 20 rushing teams in the country over the last 5 years. I did throw out the service academies cause they run the shit outta the ball.

I was more interested in a more balance attack that works. I found a guy at Illinois that is the OL coach for Bielema. He's got a really nice resume over a 10 year career and has had quite a bit of success at multiple schools.

Wisconsin, Ohio University, Wyoming, and now Illinois and a couple of other schools. Without touting the guy cause I didn't know anything about him till 30 minutes ago, but he at least looks like a guy who is cut out for the Big Ten style.

Not that its important, but he moves around a lot. Maybe he's a yeller, or the players hate him, or maybe he's looking for that dream job and could stay for a long time. Who knows.

Anyhow, he's only 36 years old, born in Omaha, and grew up a Cornhusker fanatic. Coached for Bielema the year they put 70 on the Huskers, played for Solich and Bohl, and now Bielema again.

Just something I ran into. Not advocating just looking for someone who has had success running the ball and has had physical lines.
I always look for good o-line coaches. Although their track record isn't so great.

We don't know if Stai is available, but he would make a huge difference compared to Austin.

I looked at the top 20 rushing teams in the country over the last 5 years. I did throw out the service academies cause they run the shit outta the ball.

I was more interested in a more balance attack that works. I found a guy at Illinois that is the OL coach for Bielema. He's got a really nice resume over a 10 year career and has had quite a bit of success at multiple schools.

Wisconsin, Ohio University, Wyoming, and now Illinois and a couple of other schools. Without touting the guy cause I didn't know anything about him till 30 minutes ago, but he at least looks like a guy who is cut out for the Big Ten style.

Not that its important, but he moves around a lot. Maybe he's a yeller, or the players hate him, or maybe he's looking for that dream job and could stay for a long time. Who knows.

Anyhow, he's only 36 years old, born in Omaha, and grew up a Cornhusker fanatic. Coached for Bielema the year they put 70 on the Huskers, played for Solich and Bohl, and now Bielema again.

Just something I ran into. Not advocating just looking for someone who has had success running the ball and has had physical lines.
You talking about Bart Miller? He was the guy Bielema brought in halfway through a season when he was at WI and it made an immediate difference.

Reactions: huntered
You talking about Bart Miller? He was the guy Bielema brought in halfway through a season when he was at WI and it made an immediate difference.
Yep. I can't believe I didn't put his name in my post.
Now that Stai is being mentioned, I would have zero problems with having that dude coach.

Where is Stai coaching? I haven't looked it up.
Development Director in the Athletic Department. Not sure if he ever coached, but he sure did play. Played a couple years with Alberts. That aside, just playing for TO and then having Milt as his position coach should make him a potential candidate.
Yet, we're seeing that just playing for TO and being coached by TO doesn't guarantee success in this age of football.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
I'd take my chances with one less receiver. More blocking give receivers time to run their routes and improves the odds of QB's not getting injured. Besides, I don't think most football coaches (including Frost) have well thought out pass trees. Too often with Frost example, receivers are too close together. That leads to int's and at the very least receiver not be open.
Sometimes I see receivers running the same exact route within feet of each other. I kind of doubt Frost drew it up that way, and it's probably more likely that a receiver forgot their route. Either way, the receivers need to have the intuition that one defender should not be able to guard two receivers and break off from the route if that's the case. Receivers should be searching for open space instead of blindly following a stupid diagram.

The Rivals "10 Things We Learned" article following the OU game says that the offensive line has to "clean things up".
I guess after an airplane crash there are some things to clean up. But if you want to prevent further disasters, you have to do more than that.
And we are seeing a disaster week after week.

Why would any good JUCO linemen want to come here if no good H.S. offensive linemen want to come here?

Sometimes I see receivers running the same exact route within feet of each other. I kind of doubt Frost drew it up that way, and it's probably more likely that a receiver forgot their route. Either way, the receivers need to have the intuition that one defender should not be able to guard two receivers and break off from the route if that's the case. Receivers should be searching for open space instead of blindly following a stupid diagram.
The receivers can't just improvise without the play structure. More interceptions would result.

The receivers can't just improvise without the play structure. More interceptions would result.
This is big boy football. The receivers and the qb's need to be able to determine what the defense is doing and respond appropriately. Watch Alabama's receivers. They don't run a 7th grade route tree. They alter their routes to exploit the defense, and their qb knows exactly what they're doing. That's why they and other teams that run similar concepts are successful, while others aren't.

i want to blame the coaches but really? every single olineman on the team has been taught since jr high or younger not to move before the ball is hiked. it's not that complicated. if you cant figure it out then you really dont belong out there. that part is on austin. these kids think they are irreplaceable. blase demeanors physically and mentally.

i want to blame the coaches but really? every single olineman on the team has been taught since jr high or younger not to move before the ball is hiked. it's not that complicated. if you cant figure it out then you really dont belong out there. that part is on austin. these kids think they are irreplaceable. blase demeanors physically and mentally.
It is not a matter of being taught. Some guys get the jitters. The situation may make a difference in having the jitters. I moved early once or twice when I played. It happens.

I have often made the point that I never see a tackle move if there was a TE next to him helping. I have seen it happen ONCE in my life.

This is big boy football. The receivers and the qb's need to be able to determine what the defense is doing and respond appropriately. Watch Alabama's receivers. They don't run a 7th grade route tree. They alter their routes to exploit the defense, and their qb knows exactly what they're doing. That's why they and other teams that run similar concepts are successful, while others aren't.
Nebraska is losing. Until they can get to that level, they probably need to simplify things. Or they can keep losing and you can keep blaming.

Nebraska is losing. Until they can get to that level, they probably need to simplify things. Or they can keep losing and you can keep blaming.
I think that's part of the problem in some cases is that we're simplifying too much. A DI qb needs to be able to read a defense. You can't just simplify that away no matters how much Frost is trying. You can't simplify blocking assignments too much, you need to be able to understand what the defensive front is doing and what type of blitz packages they're using so you can react appropriately.

I think that's part of the problem in some cases is that we're simplifying too much. A DI qb needs to be able to read a defense. You can't just simplify that away no matters how much Frost is trying. You can't simplify blocking assignments too much, you need to be able to understand what the defensive front is doing and what type of blitz packages they're using so you can react appropriately.
Frost never complains that his receivers are running the wrong routes or reading the wrong routes. You're correct that the offense can't be simplified too much but at this point I am guessing they do need to simplify. As far as the fronts, the safeties are making a lot of the tackles. The line can only block five. I think Frost has too much confidence his system backs up the safeties enough, puts fear into the safeties. It seems that teams are still taking their chances that the Nebraska passing game can't beat them. So they load up the box. They know we don't pass block well enough. And HCSF doesn't adjust.

Now he slapped a TE number on Teddy. He should have done this years ago (with someone else) and made it an integral part of the offense.

Last edited:
More reason for Frost to give them help in the way of an extra offensive lineman or TE. And don't forget Hixson started for a year as did Nouli at Colorado State.
But then you sacrifice a receiver.

Austin needs to go as OL coach. Frost needs to ask for the money to hire away a top flight OL coach from one of the other Div IA schools where OL is dominant and let them do their job. The talent at OL isn't bad from a recruiting standpoint but the player development and unit effectiveness is embarrassing. OL has now been a weakness at NU for a decade plus.

The talent is very good from a recruiting standpoint. I know Austin is the OL coach, but I put the blame on the scheme, not Austin. The scheme would be a head coach decision. It would be interesting to see what would happen if we changed to a more power based attack. I think our current OL could be very good if that would happen.

Scott Frost is the problem because of how he wants the OL to block. It's a soft ass, terrible scheme to run in the Big Ten. He wants his guys to step back and shield block...not even the common zone block principles a lot of teams use.

Nebraska needs to be bulldozing down DL to wear down a D. This soft shit is why Frost offense has never broken through at Nebraska.
It works at places like UCF because their competition is weak, but it certainly hasn't cut it in the B1G.

Martinez hardly looks at more than 1 receiver, let alone 2 or 3. It's not necessarily a huge sacrifice.
OK, lets just free up another DB to help cover the receivers he can see. Jeeze!

Martinez hardly looks at more than 1 receiver, let alone 2 or 3. It's not necessarily a huge sacrifice.
You make it sound like keeping an extra blocker removes a db. Nope. They will still only rush with 3-4 people in that scenario.

You make it sound like keeping an extra blocker removes a db. Nope. They will still only rush with 3-4 people in that scenario.
In some situations it may be helpful, in some cases not. You'd hope with more blockers, we'd be able to prevent some pressure. We already have plenty of rpo plays that take receivers out of the play, which btw is why I hate the rpo. I don't see how putting in another guy instead who actually specializes in blocking would be such a bad thing.

ADVERTISEMENT