ADVERTISEMENT

What is the deal with the OL?

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
What is the fix for this clown show? I do believe there is some very good talent on the OL. There are a few guys that could be high draft picks. But what the hell makes a unit play so idiotically?

Reactions: BleedRed78
What is the fix for this clown show? I do believe there is some very good talent on the OL. There are a few guys that could be high draft picks. But what the hell makes a unit play so idiotically?
As someone else said, it's coaching. I think it's highly likely the drills they're running in practice aren't fast enough or focused enough to simulate gameday conditions.

Scott Frost is the problem because of how he wants the OL to block. It's a soft ass, terrible scheme to run in the Big Ten. He wants his guys to step back and shield block...not even the common zone block principles a lot of teams use.

Nebraska needs to be bulldozing down DL to wear down a D. This soft shit is why Frost offense has never broken through at Nebraska.

Scott Frost is the problem because of how he wants the OL to block. It's a soft ass, terrible scheme to run in the Big Ten. He wants his guys to step back and shield block...not even the common zone block principles a lot of teams use.

Nebraska needs to be bulldozing down DL to wear down a D. This soft shit is why Frost offense has never broken through at Nebraska.

I thought we were supposed to do something different than every other team in our league much less division.

If we are going to be different, are we going to out-OL Iowa and Wisconsin who have consistently put OL into the NFL? Are we suddenly going to overpower the Iowa and Wisky DLs along with Minnesota and the rest of the B10 with a power option running game?

I mean, there obviously isn't a team, much less defense, in the B10 designed to stop a team trying to run power football. We should be really smart and sneaky and do just that.

I thought we were supposed to do something different than every other team in our league much less division.

If we are going to be different, are we going to out-OL Iowa and Wisconsin who have consistently put OL into the NFL? Are we suddenly going to overpower the Iowa and Wisky DLs along with Minnesota and the rest of the B10 with a power option running game?

I mean, there obviously isn't a team, much less defense, in the B10 designed to stop a team trying to run power football. We should be really smart and sneaky and do just that.

You aren't being as clever as you think. Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin do not use the same schemes. Minnesota and Iowa are more alike in their techniques than Wisconsin is. Wisconsin has actually been underperforming at OL for a few seasons now.

Nobody in the Big Ten blocks with their OL the way Nebraska used to do it. MSU is the closest to it.

Reactions: LJhusjer

Currently the only lineman who has any physicality is Cam.

The ONLY way this OL starts to show a physical presence is a total revamping of the current starters.

Its possible that among the 20 OLmen in the program that there are 5 dudes that can be physical, but we start at least 3 who are creampuffs, not including the fact they are slower than molasses.

Anyone who thinks the 5-6 guys who get nearly all the snaps is ever going to knock people off the ball is dreaming.

This is as poor an OL as we've ever had.

I think the running game is salvageable, but not with the current starters.

My opinion is we are lousy at run blocking and lousy at pass blocking. If changes were made its possible to have a much stronger run blocking team but would remain a shittyng pass blocking team.

It would be an improvement because at least one aspect of moving the ball could show improvement where the other aspect would remain a liability.

Even as a native Nebraskan, Ethan Piper should be the Marvin Scott of the OL and just enjoy a scholarship and not see the field.

Frost should have hit the transfer portal and the jucos for offensive linemen for a quick fix devaney did it I think these guys will be good in a few years not now. Under Tom Osborne the starters were usually red shirt jr and seniors

I hope they hire a new oline coach. Maybe they can bring back Callahan to coach them...
JK
But it would be nice to make a new hire there, maybe an experienced veteran coach that this staff can rub elbows with and pick up some new/better habits overall. 🤞

Preferably with big 10 of sec like bama experience this crap about hiring someone from a soft conference doesn’t work

Turner Corcoran had a rough day.
Either he is being coached REALLY poorly or he is not a tackle like they hoped and should slide into guard. Iirc he got used a number of times in pass pro. Looked really bad. Maybe the guy going against him was an absolute stud idk

I’m so dam tired of people talking about Cam Jurgens being physical. He never blocks the D lineman in front of him, but he freakin loves pancaking the 200 lb defensive backs so he looks tough and physical. Dude is a joke! Try blocking the dam 300 lb guy right in front of you!

• Wow
Austin needs to go as OL coach. Frost needs to ask for the money to hire away a top flight OL coach from one of the other Div IA schools where OL is dominant and let them do their job. The talent at OL isn't bad from a recruiting standpoint but the player development and unit effectiveness is embarrassing. OL has now been a weakness at NU for a decade plus.

Austin needs to go as OL coach. Frost needs to ask for the money to hire away a top flight OL coach from one of the other Div IA schools where OL is dominant and let them do their job. The talent at OL isn't bad from a recruiting standpoint but the player development and unit effectiveness is embarrassing. OL has now been a weakness at NU for a decade plus.
Austin needs to be shown the door right now. You have Stai and others in Lincoln that could help. Fire Austin ASAP

Austin doesn't seem like a big time OL coach at all. With that said, I have noticed the defensive side of the ball has great coaches. The position rooms are starting to reflect their positional coaches. That fares well when you have Tuiotti, Dawson, Fisher, Ruud, and Chinander. Offensive side has Austin, Verduzco, Lubbick, Held, Frost and Beckton. Beckton is solid, Frost is the boss. The rest of those guys are having a negative influence on their rooms, and I believe those groups are just reflecting their positional coaches as well. We have some good players out there no doubt.

Having been around a lot of football, what the heck is a "shield" block? Zone blocking is an overall blocking scheme, shield blocking is a technique.

Reactions: WHCSC
Either he is being coached REALLY poorly or he is not a tackle like they hoped and should slide into guard. Iirc he got used a number of times in pass pro. Looked really bad. Maybe the guy going against him was an absolute stud idk
I would like the OL to get help once in a while. I've read here that Teddy wore a number in the 40's. It' doesn't matter if HCSF sends out 5 receivers if the QB does not have enough time.

I believe in wearing down pass rushers.
I believe in frustrating pass rushers.

I always wonder why almost all coaches avoid more help in their protection. I get the sense it is a macho thing.

There are other issues certainly, but:

OU started 5 seniors on the OL yesterday and I presume since they are listed as Seniors they are either 5th or 6th year guys, and they weren't immune to penalties either.

We start a 2nd year guy and a 3rd year guy at OT. Dave Rimmington didn't start until his 3rd year. Most good Nebraska OLs didn't start until their 4th year and the great ones their 3rd year. I think Shields was a great player as a true Sophomore.

We only have Bando and Sichterman left from the 2017 class and Jurgens is the only one left from the 2018 class (and he came in as a TE).

To me that's a lot of the explanation.

Last edited:

OU started 5 seniors on the OL yesterday and I presume since they are listed as Seniors they are either 5th or 6th year guys, and they weren't immune to penalties either.

We start a 2nd year guy and a 3rd year guy at OT. Dave Rimmington didn't start until his 3rd year. Most good Nebraska OLs didn't start until their 4th year and the great ones their 3rd year. I think Shields was a great player as a true Sophomore.

We only have Bando and Sichterman left from the 2017 class and Jurgens is the only one left from the 2018 class (and he came in as a TE).

They didn't start because they had other great players in front of them. That isn't the case now.

Reactions: oldjar07
I always wonder why almost all coaches avoid more help in their protection. I get the sense it is a macho thing.
More help means less receivers to cover. In the passing game, a great OL can cover for average receivers. The converse is true also. When you have great both, that's when you score at least 45 on everyone (Alabama last year).

I think a lot of the reason that we often look bad in pass protection is that since we have no running game, the DL can pin their ears back and go without hesitation. A little play action might make our OL look a lot better in pass pro.

Look at 1995. Frazier was not sacked once all season. Some because of his mobility, some because we passed less, but it was mainly because all of the DL for the other team had to play read and react every play. Blitzing against TOs offense was really dangerous because if you did an inside or back side blitz against the option, it was a TD.

TO's offense was really good at getting the defense to run out of the play without being blocked. When we had the power to go with that, we were unstoppable.

Last edited:
Austin needs to be shown the door right now. You have Stai and others in Lincoln that could help. Fire Austin ASAP
We don't know if Stai is available, but he would make a huge difference compared to Austin.

I looked at the top 20 rushing teams in the country over the last 5 years. I did throw out the service academies cause they run the shit outta the ball.

I was more interested in a more balance attack that works. I found a guy at Illinois that is the OL coach for Bielema. He's got a really nice resume over a 10 year career and has had quite a bit of success at multiple schools.

Wisconsin, Ohio University, Wyoming, and now Illinois and a couple of other schools. Without touting the guy cause I didn't know anything about him till 30 minutes ago, but he at least looks like a guy who is cut out for the Big Ten style.

Not that its important, but he moves around a lot. Maybe he's a yeller, or the players hate him, or maybe he's looking for that dream job and could stay for a long time. Who knows.

Anyhow, he's only 36 years old, born in Omaha, and grew up a Cornhusker fanatic. Coached for Bielema the year they put 70 on the Huskers, played for Solich and Bohl, and now Bielema again.

Just something I ran into. Not advocating just looking for someone who has had success running the ball and has had physical lines.

More reason for Frost to give them help in the way of an extra offensive lineman or TE. And don't forget Hixson started for a year as did Nouli at Colorado State.

More help means less receivers to cover. In the passing game, a great OL can cover for average receivers. The converse is true also. When you have great both, that's when you score at least 45 on everyone (Alabama last year).

I think a lot of the reason that we often look bad in pass protection is that since we have no running game, the DL can pin their ears back and go without hesitation. A little play action might make our OL look a lot better in pass pro.

Look at 1995. Frazier was not sacked once all season. Some because of his mobility, some because we passed less, but it was mainly because all of the DL for the other team had to play read and react every play. Blitzing against TOs offense was really dangerous because if you did an inside or back side blitz against the option, it was a TD.

TO's offense was really good at getting the defense to run out of the play without being blocked. When we had the power to go with that, we were unstoppable.
I'd take my chances with one less receiver. More blocking give receivers time to run their routes and improves the odds of QB's not getting injured. Besides, I don't think most football coaches (including Frost) have well thought out pass trees. Too often with Frost example, receivers are too close together. That leads to int's and at the very least receiver not be open.

ADVERTISEMENT