ADVERTISEMENT

What is that feeling I have... is it hope?

artguy68

Junior
Nov 3, 2008
I am feeling strange. I vaguely recall having it before awhile ago. It is only a slight tickle, but still, it is there. Hope.

Buffalo almost beat ranked Coastal Carolina. After today's performance against OU, it seems more plausible that our loss to Illinois was an anomaly (due to poor coaching). If we had won that game, no matter how ugly, we might be getting votes in the top 25 rankings.

But then I see our schedule. Two easier games that aren't all that easy, and 6 challenging games. One thing I am sure of is that our defense will keep us in all the games from here on out.

I am feeling strange. I vaguely recall having it before awhile ago. It is only a slight tickle, but still, it is there. Hope.

Buffalo almost beat ranked Coastal Carolina. After today's performance against OU, it seems more plausible that our loss to Illinois was an anomaly (due to poor coaching). If we had won that game, no matter how ugly, we might be getting votes in the top 25 rankings.

But then I see our schedule. Two easier games that aren't all that easy, and 6 challenging games. One thing I am sure of is that our defense will keep us in all the games from here on out.
There’s hope, but what Nebraska has not done for years is back up hope with progress after. 2016 people seemed to think Nebraska’s performance on the road against Wisconsin was a sign of hope. They backed it up by losing by 60 to Ohio State. Nebraska needs to back it up and play well against Michigan State, whatever that entails.

Hey! Wake up!

You're dreaming.

There’s hope, but what Nebraska has not done for years is back up hope with progress after. 2016 people seemed to think Nebraska’s performance on the road against Wisconsin was a sign of hope. They backed it up by losing by 60 to Ohio State. Nebraska needs to back it up and play well against Michigan State, whatever that entails.
Win 6 is the only hope for Frost. No more moral victories and participation trophies.

That feeling is the pain killers your hooked on! Not because this football team.They can screw up a wet dream!

You watch. If we beat Michigan State, they'll all be on board again. Pushing and shoving for a seat on the band wagon.
Which bandwagon? The Nebraska Cornhuskers bandwagon? That ones still pretty full. The Scott Frost bandwagon? That ones got a few empty seats. I try to separate the two. Even those that want to fire him now are still Husker fans. Same with the past three coaches. I’m off the Frost wagon. But I’ll give him the opportunity to save his job with a .500 season and a bowl game.

Last edited:
Which bandwagon? The Nebraska Cornhuskers bandwagon? That ones still pretty full. The Scott Frost bandwagon? That ones got a few empty seats. I try to separate the two. Even those that want to fire him now are still Husker fans. Same with the past three coaches. I’m off the Frost wagon. But I’ll give him the opportunity to save his job with a .500 season and a bowl game.
He's got to get 6 wins or it's curtains I tell ya. Curtains!

I think we’ve found something

Maybe it’s all the 23+ year olds on the team

Maybe it’s the 3 straight spread covers to satiate the boosters (and me)

The boys are playing their nuts off. Effort alone should place us amongst the heads of our trash division

Time to go take it for once

There was a ton of improvement on the field…still some of the same problems with on the field coaching and game management, but something to build on. The team played hard.

Reactions: zrob
Looks like Scott finally learned the ol’ eat-up-clock Big Ten game. We mucked it up and gave ourself a chance.
I think this was a big part of it.

That he would come out and even state this, was a big admission to me, as his scheme doesn't 'think' like this.

Scott also deferred to the second half. This is something he never does. This one nuance, of trying to control the clock made a big difference (I believe) in how the game went. It also kept the defense from having to play so many snaps.

I would like to see this ideology continue, whether it came from higher up or not. (Something I speculate may have happened).

We were more stingy on defense, especially early and not so worried about hurry up offense.

It will be interesting to see what happens next week and if this was a more permanent change in thinking or not.

That he would come out and even state this, was a big admission to me, as his scheme doesn't 'think' like this.

Scott also deferred to the second half. This is something he never does. This one nuance, of trying to control the clock made a big difference (I believe) in how the game went. It also kept the defense from having to play so many snaps.

I would like to see this ideology continue, whether it came from higher up or not. (Something I speculate may have happened).

We were more stingy on defense, especially early and not so worried about hurry up offense.

It will be interesting to see what happens next week and if this was a more permanent change in thinking or not.
I noticed that defer right out of the gate, too. I was kind of shocked. I know he wants to speed it up but that game plan held OU to their lowest 1st-half point total in 5 years.

If we played like that and cleaned up Special Teams, Scott might have a chance to stay long term and compete in the big ten conference

It'll be hard to eat up clock without a running game, though.

By the way, anyone know why we didn't see Stepp at all? Is it really because he didn't have a good week of practice?
He either didn't grade out well in last weeks game or he's dinged up. You can eat clock with your passing game too if you complete as many passes as Adrian did Saturday.

Those are good points. None of us know any details of any conversations he may have had with Trev. NU also started Hixson at LG instead of Piper.

Hixson is less than average at best, but given Piper's many problems this year the move was way more positive than negative.

NU has giant issues all around. I do believe the OL is by far the biggest issue to contend with vs. the special teams purely because of the amount of snaps involved for those units.

Do I think this OL can get the job done in the Big Ten? Of course not. Personnel changes have to be made to improve the OL. We may have some of the pieces IF SF had the balls to make some necessary changes. What exactly do we have to lose compared to what we currently have at those positions?

Those are good points. None of us know any details of any conversations he may have had with Trev. NU also started Hixson at LG instead of Piper.

Hixson is less than average at best, but given Piper's many problems this year the move was way more positive than negative.

NU has giant issues all around. I do believe the OL is by far the biggest issue to contend with vs. the special teams purely because of the amount of snaps involved for those units.

Do I think this OL can get the job done in the Big Ten? Of course not. Personnel changes have to be made to improve the OL. We may have some of the pieces IF SF had the balls to make some necessary changes. What exactly do we have to lose compared to what we currently have at those positions?
One thing that has happened is Scott has recruited size, at many positions, but specifically the OL.

I have seen others allude to this, but curious what your thoughts are.

Basic math and the current league we are in, would say get big linemen. But at some point, when a guy becomes too big, and isn't athletic enough to keep a smaller DE or LB out of the backfield, I start to wonder if we took size over athleticism, too much. I guess a players wingspan plays into that too.

I'm not an OL guy, but just trying to use some common sense here. Bigger is usually better, until it's not.

Reactions: artguy68
Nebraska will be lucky to win two more games. My hope is that Frost is terminated. That's one type of hope.

One thing that has happened is Scott has recruited size, at many positions, but specifically the OL.

Basic math and the current league we are in, would say get big linemen. But at some point, when a guy becomes too big, and isn't athletic enough to keep a smaller DE or LB out of the backfield, I start to wonder if we took size over athleticism, too much. I guess a players wingspan plays into that too.

I'm not an OL guy, but just trying to use some common sense here. Bigger is usually better, until it's not.
I think SF chose size over athleticism.
If NU is going to rely on Hixson at LG, Sicht at RG and Benhart at RT, we are going to have our ass handed to us on a regular basis. All 3 are way too slow, and lack aggression.
However, they make up for being "really young" by being "really slow." Or until NU hires a competent line coach.

I've delved in this issue about 6 different times in several threads and continue to not generate a response, or little response. Big slow, non moving linemen destroy the entire offensive potential. To watch this line try to use a pulling guard and tackle from left to right or right to left would be laughable.

If they really want to run the ball, personnel changes have to be made. I know SF will likely NEVER move Cam away from center. But, if he did, NU could run something like this: Hixson to Center, Cam to LG, Teddy to LT, Nouilli or Bando at RG, and Corcoran at RT. Yes, that means that Piper, Sicht and Benhart no longer start.

If NU wanted to get physical for a SERIES OR TWO you could put Teddy at TE lined up next to the tackle, and then take Garrett Nelson or Damian Jackson and slot them on the right side as TE. You gotta know that Nelson or Jackson are going to hit something that moves. At the very minimum you then force future teams to at least practice against this type of physical attack. You could also tailor this to which T needs the most help because of an outstanding defender lined up against that side.

Plus you still have 1 RB and 2 wideouts. NU had great success over the years when they went into their 2 TE sets and against some of the great teams NU played it was done so because their D was so dominant.

I know this sounds a lot different that what we've seen for 3+ years. But, my point is, "how is this been working for us?" Finally take a look at becoming a physical team again and the next thing you know NU may be able to recruit some of those type monsters that are not on the list for Bama, Clem, OSU, etc.

I can very well get blown outta the water here, and I understand it, but this is an Opinion forum and I'm offering a contrary opinion and not on the site to try to win any arguments.

If you've been a coach for over 50 years you learn this is a "fix it if it's broken" strategy. What NU has been doing is NOT working and it will NOT work. Other than some practice time, what is the down side?

Last edited:
I think we’ve found something

Maybe it’s all the 23+ year olds on the team

Maybe it’s the 3 straight spread covers to satiate the boosters (and me)

The boys are playing their nuts off. Effort alone should place us amongst the heads of our trash division

Time to go take it for once
The problem is not coming out and throwing another clunker. Thus far, SF has been unable to sustain momentum from week to week.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

What you say seems to describe the one OL recruit we had in Valen Erickson (until he flipped to Missouri). Huge kid that did not look like an athlete.

Covering 3 straight spreads is as strong as it’s been all of frosts tenure
Agree. NU covered against 2 cream puffs and one power. This week we found out if NU can cover (or play really well) against a quality opponent. NU has had so much difficulty in being able to come out ready to play and play a strong 4 quarters of football. Saturday was a new experience, we will see if it is a new trend.

He either didn't grade out well in last weeks game or he's dinged up. You can eat clock with your passing game too if you complete as many passes as Adrian did Saturday.
Correct, and different from other games, the average per attempt was over 10 yards. That is only the 5th game in his career that he averaged 10 yards per attempt.

2018 at Colorado
2018 vs Indiana

And all the games this year except Illinois.

If you can complete passes downfield, it will eventually free up the running game.

I will also say, and I am sure it was posted somewhere on here prior to this, Martinez not taking unnecessary hits in the running game. Sliding, running out of bounds, only running the ball 12 times instead of 15 or more.

Correct, and different from other games, the average per attempt was over 10 yards. That is only the 5th game in his career that he averaged 10 yards per attempt.

2018 at Colorado
2018 vs Indiana

And all the games this year except Illinois.

If you can complete passes downfield, it will eventually free up the running game.

I will also say, and I am sure it was posted somewhere on here prior to this, Martinez not taking unnecessary hits in the running game. Sliding, running out of bounds, only running the ball 12 times instead of 15 or more.
From everything I have read, the per yard passing number is really important. If he was over 10, that is really efficient and we need to continue that. Certainly it's more downfield than the side line dink and dunk stuff.

I think SF chose size over athleticism.
If NU is going to rely on Hixson at LG, Sicht at RG and Benhart at RT, we are going to have our ass handed to us on a regular basis. All 3 are way too slow, and lack aggression.
However, they make up for being "really young" by being "really slow." Or until NU hires a competent line coach.

I've delved in this issue about 6 different times in several threads and continue to not generate a response, or little response. Big slow, non moving linemen destroy the entire offensive potential. To watch this line try to use a pulling guard and tackle from left to right or right to left would be laughable.

If they really want to run the ball, personnel changes have to be made. I know SF will likely NEVER move Cam away from center. But, if he did, NU could run something like this: Hixson to Center, Cam to LG, Teddy to LT, Nouilli or Bando at RG, and Corcoran at RT. Yes, that means that Piper, Sicht and Benhart no longer start.

If NU wanted to get physical for a SERIES OR TWO you could put Teddy at TE lined up next to the tackle, and then take Garrett Nelson or Damian Jackson and slot them on the right side as TE. You gotta know that Nelson or Jackson are going to hit something that moves. At the very minimum you then force future teams to at least practice against this type of physical attack. You could also tailor this to which T needs the most help because of an outstanding defender lined up against that side.

Plus you still have 1 RB and 2 wideouts. NU had great success over the years when they went into their 2 TE sets and against some of the great teams NU played it was done so because their D was so dominant.

I know this sounds a lot different that what we've seen for 3+ years. But, my point is, "how is this been working for us?" Finally take a look at becoming a physical team again and the next thing you know NU may be able to recruit some of those type monsters that are not on the list for Bama, Clem, OSU, etc.

I can very well get blown outta the water here, and I understand it, but this is an Opinion forum and I'm offering a contrary opinion and not on the site to try to win any arguments.

If you've been a coach for over 50 years you learn this is a "fix it if it's broken" strategy. What NU has been doing is NOT working and it will NOT work. Other than some practice time, what is the down side?
Those sound like some really good ideas, at least worth trying, but not sure they would tinker with that during the season. This is the kind of stuff they should have figured out in the off season. If I was coaching for my job though, I'd try to make some changes now rather than later, which might not come.

NU is pretty good at giving you hope, then squashing it in the worst ways. I HOPE they keep playing inspired and get some nice upsets.
I think the defense keeps playing great but the offense, I don't know. Bad Martinez could show up, the o line could keep playing bad, and Frost can keep getting out coached.
Fortunately Michigan St is one of the few teams we've had success against.

NU is pretty good at giving you hope, then squashing it in the worst ways. I HOPE they keep playing inspired and get some nice upsets.
I think the defense keeps playing great but the offense, I don't know. Bad Martinez could show up, the o line could keep playing bad, and Frost can keep getting out coached.
Fortunately Michigan St is one of the few teams we've had success against.
Yeah except they've also got the coach now who made Frost his bitch when he was at CU.

From everything I have read, the per yard passing number is really important. If he was over 10, that is really efficient and we need to continue that. Certainly it's more downfield than the side line dink and dunk stuff.
Yards per Attempt is the most telling stat for quarterbacks

every year, the leaders in this category are either first round draft picks, playoff/conference contenders or both

10+ is elite territory, and if AM ends the season there, we will have 8+ wins

Yards per Attempt is the most telling stat for quarterbacks

every year, the leaders in this category are either first round draft picks, playoff/conference contenders or both

10+ is elite territory, and if AM ends the season there, we will have 8+ wins
Who are you and what have you done with Rambo?

I hope AM continues on this path, but we are all just waiting for the meltdown. It is a conditioned response.

If we can pull out a win in East Lansing it will do a lot for this team . I always have hope, I lack in faith at this point.
THAT is a great way of summarizing my feelings as well. Not much faith but still have hope.

Reactions: bshirt73
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT