ADVERTISEMENT

What is Frost's offense

I rewatched the Oregon national title game vs Ohio St where Frost was the OC. It's a lot of the same stuff. Mariota threw a lot more short passes than what I would have thought and then they gashed em with a few deeper passes to wide open guys. There were a handful of designed qb runs, mostly counter plays designed to get the edge. It all looked real familiar, just better executed.

This is why I knew Mariota would not amount to much in the NFL

Define it.

mmybLw.gif

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
it's so complex, not only does it confuse the opposing d, it confuses our players and fans

A lot of people said the same about TO's offense but he was much more successful than Frost has been. Sometimes it takes a few tweaks and not a wholesale change.
Tom was constantly refining his offense throughout his coaching career . Scott adds a few new plays for an opponent and by the end of the first quarter falls back on the same old plays.

Even if the new wiggle he adds works you never see it again, check out 2019 and 2020 versus Ohio Sate neither new offensive scheme was used again . Power I in 19 and Dual quarterback play in 20

I rewatched the Oregon national title game vs Ohio St where Frost was the OC. It's a lot of the same stuff. Mariota threw a lot more short passes than what I would have thought and then they gashed em with a few deeper passes to wide open guys. There were a handful of designed qb runs, mostly counter plays designed to get the edge. It all looked real familiar, just better executed.
After reading your post I went back and clicked through the first half when Oregon had the ball. You are right, it looked real familiar. They seemed to have more/better of a running game. Other things looked real familiar too. Two fumbles on the first drive, one recovered and one overturned so Oregon kept the ball. A drive killing false start on the third series that turned a 3rd and 2 into a 3rd and 7. Two critical pass drops on third down in their second and third series resulting in punts. Two missed tackles resulting in a 30 yard punt return to the 50 to set up tOSU's first score. And lastly, they lost the game.

After reading your post I went back and clicked through the first half when Oregon had the ball. You are right, it looked real familiar. They seemed to have more/better of a running game. Other things looked real familiar too. Two fumbles on the first drive, one recovered and one overturned so Oregon kept the ball. A drive killing false start on the third series that turned a 3rd and 2 into a 3rd and 7. Two critical pass drops on third down in their second and third series resulting in punts. Two missed tackles resulting in a 30 yard punt return to the 50 to set up tOSU's first score. And lastly, they lost the game.

I read in the comments they were really shorthanded at WR for that game. A couple of em were out hurt, somebody got arrested and suspended. Their defense couldn't stop ohio at all though. They forced a few turnovers; otherwise, Ohio scores in the 50s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT