ADVERTISEMENT

What is Frost's offense

CraftySecondaryBlowfish-small.gif

Good question. I haven't seen Oregon speed and Husker power like it was advertised. All I see is snap the ball fast. Every team faces that and knows how to handle it. It's a good change of pace (which is why everyone does it), but not any kind of modern offense any more.
Commit to the power. If we don't go under center, use the pistol offense more. Run downhill. Use TEs as H-backs if there's no fullback. Then add in all the passing. Swing passes may even work with some running threat and play action, and try to find some downfield throws.

I rewatched the Oregon national title game vs Ohio St where Frost was the OC. It's a lot of the same stuff. Mariota threw a lot more short passes than what I would have thought and then they gashed em with a few deeper passes to wide open guys. There were a handful of designed qb runs, mostly counter plays designed to get the edge. It all looked real familiar, just better executed.

Frost was hired for his offense, which is the old Oregon offense. Like it or not, that’s what we got for at least another couple years. I don’t think it’s a good fit in the B1G because of the defense that is played and the weather, but that’s what we got. Also, it seems the game overall has outgrown that offense. Theres a reason the creator of it doesn’t run it any more and he is in the wide open Pac 12. He needs to adapt and do something different but he won’t as that’s what he knows and is used to.

Frost was hired for his offense, which is the old Oregon offense. Like it or not, that’s what we got for at least another couple years. I don’t think it’s a good fit in the B1G because of the defense that is played and the weather, but that’s what we got. Also, it seems the game overall has outgrown that offense. Theres a reason the creator of it doesn’t run it any more and he is in the wide open Pac 12. He needs to adapt and do something different but he won’t as that’s what he knows and is used to.
A lot of people said the same about TO's offense but he was much more successful than Frost has been. Sometimes it takes a few tweaks and not a wholesale change.

Apparently the adjustment we made was to take the offense he ran at Oregon and UCF, slow it down to a crawl, and play everything within 10 yards of the LOS.

I believe both adjustments have been made to scheme around the limitations of our QB's, and keep their turnovers to 2-4 per game instead of 5-8.

Reactions: Wyldcard
Define it.
My philosophy is to heavily use a formation that gives you a wide variety of low risk plays in different places with different players. That also provides a variety of more higher risk higher gain plays.

Obviously, if you have Alabama or Ohio State roster, all plays could be low risk.

The formation that best provides this is a pro style West Coast offense. The key for college is to reduce the playbook but still provide a wide variety of plays from a certain look. This formation also has to be conducive to execution success, which means repeating.

My philosophy is to heavily use a formation that gives you a wide variety of low risk plays in different places with different players. That also provides a variety of more higher risk higher gain plays.

Obviously, if you have Alabama or Ohio State roster, all plays could be low risk.

The formation that best provides this is a pro style West Coast offense. The key for college is to reduce the playbook but still provide a wide variety of plays from a certain look. This formation also has to be conducive to execution success, which means repeating.
I really liked the WCO as run by Zac Taylor his second year at NU. He took WAY too many hits though. There were often multiple guys open on pass plays. The problem was probably not having a home run hitter at RB like Bama and OSU have. Any offense will work in college if you have the horses.

I really liked the WCO as run by Zac Taylor his second year at NU. He took WAY too many hits though. There were often multiple guys open on pass plays. The problem was probably not having a home run hitter at RB like Bama and OSU have. Any offense will work in college if you have the horses.

Good point.

Reactions: baseball31ne
ADVERTISEMENT