ADVERTISEMENT

What is an acceptable result @OSU?

I'd like to see OSU punt in the first half. When the game is still theoretically in doubt.
  • 2019 - OSU had one punt, in the fourth quarter, when the score was 48-7.
  • 2017 - OSU had no punts. OSU scored TDs on their first 8 possessions. On their 9th possession - led by Joe Burrow - they turned the ball over on downs with 4 minutes left in the game ahead 56-14,
  • 2016 - OSU had no punts in 62-3 game. OSU scored on every possession until their final possession (again led by Joe Burrow) in which they ran out the clock. NOTE: OSU did fumble a punt in the 2nd quarter that Nebraska recovered. It was 24-3 at the time.
So, is it too much to expect OSU to have to punt in the first half?

Maybe we can play a competitive game for most of the 4 quarters, like 2018? NU was within a TD in the 4th quarter in that game, until OSU put it away at the end. It doesn't have to be that close...but can we please at least look like we are playing in the same league as OSU?
This Burrow guy sounds like a hacker...I bet he doesn't even finish out at OSU.

Reactions: Husker4real
I don’t think that praying you force them to punt twice in the game is progress.
I didn't say it was.

You were saying that you were surprised by our low expectations, so I assumed you had higher expectations. I'm asking you on what you base your higher expectations, other than "year 3"?

A W would be great... but how about just being competitive at the LOS on both sides of the ball. Need to see if our guys can block and get off blocks (tired of seeing us getting pushed around on both sides of the ball)

Reactions: scarletred
Every result is "acceptable". We are fans and even if Nebraska is blown out, I expect we will remain as fans for the next week. Now to answer something adjacent, I'll share what I'd like to see.

I'd like to see the Huskers stay within 14 points by half. I'd like to see Ohio State punt the ball (or turnover on downs) at least 3 times. I'd like to see Nebraska's offense move the ball with some consistency. I'd like to see a decisive Adrian Martinez act as a true dual threat QB. I'd like to see the Huskers maintain focus on the ground game, even if it's not picking up yards in the first quarter.

That's a long wish list, but not that far-fetched, in my opinion.

It starts with coaching.

If or when Martinez starts making stupid decisions or is grossly ineffective and Frost doesn't pull him then the expectations won't change.

If the O play calling is failing and the D isn't making adjustments then my expectations won't change.

If I see players "quit" by the middle of the 2nd Q then my expectations won't change.

Until I see Nebraska show up and compete then the only expectation is a loss.

I honestly have no idea what to expect this season much less this game. Realistically, I expect Ohio State to win by a lot. However because of the weird schedule, start/stop practices, first game in October, who the hell knows? The hope is obviously that Ohio State plays their worst game of the season, Nebraska plays their best and Nebraska comes out with a surprise win.

My only realistic hope is that it is competitive for the first three quarters and then if OSU pulls away, so be it. I don't want to see another drubbing where every part of the team looks sucky. Give us fans enough hope to watch the rest of the games this season and think a turnaround in the coming years is still possible.

2020 has been the oddest year in my lifetime so one more odd ball event wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Reactions: Husker4real
It starts with coaching.

If or when Martinez starts making stupid decisions or is grossly ineffective and Frost doesn't pull him then the expectations won't change.

If the O play calling is failing and the D isn't making adjustments then my expectations won't change.

If I see players "quit" by the middle of the 2nd Q then my expectations won't change.

Until I see Nebraska show up and compete then the only expectation is a loss.
You win the Debbie Downer award for the day. Turn that frown upside down, man. It seems as if you're looking for reasons to be grumpy.

Pretty sure the great ones would never put acceptable and losing in the same sentence. That breeds a loser mentality. The same loser mentality we have had for many years. Let's win the damn game.

I didn't say it was.

You were saying that you were surprised by our low expectations, so I assumed you had higher expectations. I'm asking you on what you base your higher expectations, other than "year 3"?

I was hoping you asked.

1. You have been in the Conference 9 years playing Ohio State shouldn’t be a scary thing or something to lament.

2. Your coach has been there 3 years if he doesn’t have his system in place with his players at what point will he?

3. You have an experienced QB who is going into year 3. For Gods sake he was at the top or near the top of every Heisman Trophy list at some point last year.

Based on what I have read on this thread even Rutgers has higher expectations than the Huskers this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnyOneButYou
I was hoping you asked.

1. You have been in the Conference 9 years playing Ohio State shouldn’t be a scary thing or something to lament.

2. Your coach has been there 3 years if he doesn’t have his system in place with his players at what point will he?

3. You have an experienced QB who is going into year 3. For Gods sake he was at the top or near the top of every Heisman Trophy list at some point last year.

Based on what I have read on this thread even Rutgers has higher expectations than the Huskers this year.
Yeah, I actually asked twice. OK, so besides the QB and the head coach tenure, you have no knowledge of the team at all. That's what I assumed, just needed you to confirm.

I think for this being a week 1 game we need to show that we are prepared - more so than previous openers since we have had so many practices. I think we should be able to move the ball more than last year. We have experience on defense and I hope to see a pulse.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
One score game heading into the 4th quarter. Martinez needs to hit open receivers over the middle (they will be there).

Mills will need to rush for over 120 yards. Tackling has been poor this season due to limited practice so Nebraska needs to be able to score 35+ points.

Frost needs to be creative. Mix in some I-form. Luke needs at least 5 RPO plays... i don’t care if he’s lined up at qb.

Reactions: Rick Chick
I went back and watched some of last year's game on youtube. Martinez screwed us so hard at the beginning of that game we were completely out of it before we ever had a chance to compete. The first two interceptions were passes to open receivers that became interceptions because of his inaccuracy. So let's hope we can move the ball on the ground or somehow he's fixed that issue. I just want to see a game where self-inflicted wounds don't tell the tale.

Obviously I hope for an upset, but realistically, I’m struggling to find what I’d see as an acceptable game.
-force them to punt a couple times
-score multiple touchdowns on their starters

I don’t know, keep it under 21
IMO We need to start seeing progress under Frost. We need to see a team that is better and growing. Its year 3 its time to see a noticeable change. Not Im not talking a B1G title or going 8-0. I talking we need to be able to do the basic stuff well. Limit the stupid metal mistakes and penalties. Beat the teams we should be. Play respectable against the teams like Ohio St.
As far as what I expect for Ohio St. Just keep it close. We should not be getting blown out by anyone any more. There is not reason we should be able to at least hang with Ohio St and keep the game within reach. So I guess that is what I expect. Keep the game close.

Reactions: Rick Chick
Yeah, I actually asked twice. OK, so besides the QB and the head coach tenure, you have no knowledge of the team at all. That's what I assumed, just needed you to confirm.

Need I have to have the depth chart memorized? I am not the one saying the sky is falling. I just quoted some obvious facts and personally believe they can perform better against The Ohio State than many of you on this board believe.

I was hoping you asked.

Based on this criteria I assume you picked Iowa to win the NC last season?

1. Iowa has been in the same conference for over 100 years.

2. Ferentz Longest tenured FBS coach there for 20+ years or so.

3. 3 year starter at QB in Nate Stanley.

Or maybe most Nebraska fans are a little pessimistic and taking a more wait and see outlook after the last couple of seasons. If they were more optimistic you would be on here calling us delusional homers.

If it looks like Frost prepared a game plan to compete, makes smart in game decisions and if the Huskers can keep it close. That would be acceptable progress in my view...

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
Need I have to have the depth chart memorized? I am not the one saying the sky is falling. I just quoted some obvious facts and personally believe they can perform better against The Ohio State than many of you on this board believe.
Then I hope you're right.

As an OSU fan I can’t say what would be acceptable to a Husker fan, but I can say it would be a disappointment for the Bucks to still be in a contested game late in the third and early fourth. So I would think that if it’s a disappointment for OSU, it must be a positive for Nebraska.

Well honestly only a win is acceptable. When we are willing to shoot for something less than a win before the game is even played then a loss almost becomes inevitable. I don't think that reflects the Husker spirit I grew up with. Now should we lose and the team played their hearts out then of course they still deserve our support and appreciation. We're not fair weather fans either. But only a win is acceptable. I don't think any players or coaches would disagree with that either.

There are advantages to playing osu early but there might be a disadvantage also depending on how frost looks at it. To beat osu or ensure no worse than a respectable loss he might have to empty the playbook leaving less to utilize against beatable div foes. i haven’t done an analysis by any means but vtech a few years ago beat a preseason nc contender osu in columbus in a inspired season opener.

If it looks like Frost prepared a game plan to compete, makes smart in game decisions and if the Huskers can keep it close. That would be acceptable progress in my view...
Welp, SF had a decent game plan and made good in game decisions and it was close for a half. So I’m mildly optimistic...Nebraska doesn’t win regardless, but the refs were atrocious...

We have accepted losing so much it’s normal anymore. We played hard at least. So good to see. Frost didn’t harp on it too much so he gets its time to move on. This week he knows is what will count

ADVERTISEMENT