ADVERTISEMENT

What is an acceptable result @OSU?

NorthWillRiseAgain

Defensive Coordinator
Dec 14, 2004
mobile.twitter.com
Obviously I hope for an upset, but realistically, I’m struggling to find what I’d see as an acceptable game.
-force them to punt a couple times
-score multiple touchdowns on their starters

I don’t know, keep it under 21

Reactions: BleedRed78
I’ll be disappointed if we lose by more than 21 providing we’re not turning the ball over like we did at times last year..

I do realize Ohio St will want to look impressive and be ranked in the top 10 next week

My answer to this question is similar to something SCOTUS Justice Stewart said in the '60s...I can't really define what would be acceptable short of a win, but I'll know it when I see it.

Regardless of the outcome, I would like for people to make mention of how physical Nebraska is. We've seen teams take a big leap in their physicality from one year to the next before; two of those teams have to be Illinois and Minnesota who were both Charmin soft in 2018 and just physically beat the hell out of Nebraska in 2019. The Huskers may still be fine-tuning their personnel and scheme, but they're capable of being one of the most physical teams in the conference this year and if they don't look the part of a tough team on Saturday it would be unacceptable.

Last edited:
I'd like to see OSU punt in the first half. When the game is still theoretically in doubt.
  • 2019 - OSU had one punt, in the fourth quarter, when the score was 48-7.
  • 2017 - OSU had no punts. OSU scored TDs on their first 8 possessions. On their 9th possession - led by Joe Burrow - they turned the ball over on downs with 4 minutes left in the game ahead 56-14,
  • 2016 - OSU had no punts in 62-3 game. OSU scored on every possession until their final possession (again led by Joe Burrow) in which they ran out the clock. NOTE: OSU did fumble a punt in the 2nd quarter that Nebraska recovered. It was 24-3 at the time.
So, is it too much to expect OSU to have to punt in the first half?

Maybe we can play a competitive game for most of the 4 quarters, like 2018? NU was within a TD in the 4th quarter in that game, until OSU put it away at the end. It doesn't have to be that close...but can we please at least look like we are playing in the same league as OSU?

Wow expectations seem pretty low for year 3 of the Frost era. This isn’t the expectations I would expect to hear.
I do not have low expectations at all. In fact, I think we are going to be better this year by a lot. I can see us having a very good season despite our brutal schedule. But OSU is now like the Nebraska of the 90's - - where we often blew out even good teams who were just overmatched. I expect to get blown out therefore not because we are awful but because OSU is that good.

Vastly improved kicking (kickoff into the endzone, punting game (pin them deep), clock management etc. Not more than 1 turnover

Wow expectations seem pretty low for year 3 of the Frost era. This isn’t the expectations I would expect to hear.
If you look how OSU played last season, outside of Clemson and Penn State, none were close at all in the end.

Nebraska losing like 52-24 would be their 4th closest game last season.

Everyone wants Nebraska to win, but there is nothing over the last 7 years that says they will make it overly competitive, besides the 2018 game against OSU.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
We just need to play good football and compete hard. If we do that and still lose, nothing you can do about going up against someone simply better. But doing those things can give us something to build off, so we don't lose games we shouldn't like we have done far too often the past two decades.

Really, you're surprised? What objective analysis, other than "it's year 3", would lead you to a vastly different conclusion? I'm interested in your expectations and justifications. Or are you just being a smart ass?

This goes for every team that has to face tOSU this year, don’t give up more then 42 points. tOSU is going to be better on offense then they were last year and they will still have an amazing defense because they are tOSU. It’s going to be them, Clemson, and Bama competing for the natty this year.

This goes for every team that has to face tOSU this year, don’t give up more then 42 points. tOSU is going to be better on offense then they were last year and they will still have an amazing defense because they are tOSU. It’s going to be them, Clemson, and Bama competing for the natty this year.
the difference between than/then seems quite difficult for this iowa fan.

brings all prior posts into perfect clarity. thank you.

Reactions: SkerInCo

Year 3 in our minds (fans) is really going to be year 5 for Frost. He had to rebuild from complete scratch and he's creating a system where players come in and redshirt and stay 4-5 years, like the Wisconsin model. Not to mention there has been an issue with retention as most programs are dealing with due to the transfer portal and the Covid pandemic. In order to get old and stay old, it will take him until year 5 to have a well-oiled machine.

Reactions: scarletred
As many others have said, and in a variety of colorful ways, each season brings new hope, but after so many years of heartbreak and humiliation I've got to see it on the field before I start believing that we're on an upward trajectory. If we move the ball, score, force OSU to punt a few times and cover the spread I'd take that as an encouraging sign.

What I hope to see from this game:
- Beat the spread
- Come away healthy
- Have at least 3 new receivers make plays
- Hard nose tackling
- Improvement from our linebackers, specially see new guys step in (Heinrich, Snodgrass, etc.)
- Kick off in the end zone every time

3 new receivers is a given..
Flack is new
Brown is new
Fleming is new
Hickman is new
Manning is new ( if he is available)
TE Vokolek is new too

Only Robinson and Warner are the only two receivers returning this season..

Reactions: CatColumbia

41KqKCtN0KL.jpg

All day. Every day.

Dude, GFY. I’m not even doing anything to try and piss you off.
and yet, here we are.

just existing as an iowa fan is enough to draw ire from me. don't like it? I'm sure a hawkeye board is circling the internet drain somewhere.

Really, you're surprised? What objective analysis, other than "it's year 3", would lead you to a vastly different conclusion? I'm interested in your expectations and justifications. Or are you just being a smart ass?
I don’t think that praying you force them to punt twice in the game is progress.

ADVERTISEMENT