ADVERTISEMENT

What if we never left the Big 12

We left and for good reason!!!

Well we left for more money but it's not like we've had success in this conference. Big 10 is a lot tougher than the Big 12. We can all agree on that but at the end of the day, getting wins is all that matters and I wholeheartedly believe that we would have won more games in this decade had we stayed in the Big 12.

we would still be financially ahead as of today, and probably another 4-5 more years before we would actually break even.

performance wise, we would be doing a lot better I think, as our traditional recruiting pool in Texas would remain, as would our school rivals and opponent history.

I hope and pray we somehow make it back to our traditional conference.

moving to the B1G was a trap

Where do you think we would currently be?
Would we have won a conference championship by now?
Would Bo still be our coach?

Let's hear it folks.
The main issue is our recruiting took a major hit because we lost access to the west and Texas with the move. Bo immediately hit Ohio and the east coast hard once we made the switch...Riley tried to bring back some west recruiting but obviously that didn't pan out. The Big 10 and Big 12 are basically a wash, both has dominant team and a bunch of wannabes, the big 12 seems trashier but more fun, doesn't seem to prepare you as well for the NFL..but we also lost all of our fun rivalries, and the built in dominance.

Well we left for more money but it's not like we've had success in this conference. Big 10 is a lot tougher than the Big 12. We can all agree on that but at the end of the day, getting wins is all that matters and I wholeheartedly believe that we would have won more games in this decade had we stayed in the Big 12.
The B12 would have been better and more complete. Missouri wouldn't have left but aTm and CU would have gone regardless. OU and Texas would be as they are today. There'd be two-divisions of six each. Nebraska would have competed every year for and won several. OU would be the T'day Friday opponent every year. I suspect GBR wouldn't have fallen on hard times particularly recruiting. But that chime has left the bell, hasn't it? And the rhetorical question just makes me melancholy for the old B8. #emaw

we would still be financially ahead as of today, and probably another 4-5 more years before we would actually break even.

performance wise, we would be doing a lot better I think, as our traditional recruiting pool in Texas would remain, as would our school rivals and opponent history.

I hope and pray we somehow make it back to our traditional conference.

moving to the B1G was a trap

Texas is our traditional recruiting pool?

WTH.

Nebraska did not move for the money.

Missouri sought audience with the B10, then CU bolted to the PAC10(first B12 team to leave), aTm to SEC was in the air with a good strong odor....UT and OU let it float that they were contemplating a move to the PAC as well....that's when Nebraska requested an audience with the B10.

You people with your money theories. IF it was about splitting it equally Nebraska wasn't really on board as the set up benefited NU as it was. It only when Colorado jumped and Misery looking like they'd relegate Nebraska to either the SEC or PAC that things started moving in Lincoln.

.....and TRADITIONALLY Nebraska got a handful of kids from Texas. Not like AFTER the B12 formed, THEN Nebraska started recruiting Texas predominantly.

The only difference I see is that Ohio st and Michigan aren’t threatening to leave and kept the traditional rivals. To bad the first big 12 commissioner didn’t have the nuts to make ou a crossover game with us. Hell every other team in the big 12 got to keep their rivals, but nu. The big 10 is more stable but like Tom shatel wrote its like watching a bad tennis match where they just keep returning lobbing the serve waiting for the other one to make a mistake. For stability the big 10 hands down, for travel and more entertaining games the big 12 by a mile

The amount of research $$$ and facilities that UNL has gained in the move by accessing the CIC (name was changed but I forget to what) dwarfs the big-time B1G athletic payout

This move helped/will help the university immensely

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and MUJoey
The only difference I see is that Ohio st and Michigan aren’t threatening to leave and kept the traditional rivals. To bad the first big 12 commissioner didn’t have the nuts to make ou a crossover game with us. Hell every other team in the big 12 got to keep their rivals, but nu. The big 10 is more stable but like Tom shatel wrote its like watching a bad tennis match where they just keep returning lobbing the serve waiting for the other one to make a mistake. For stability the big 10 hands down, for travel and more entertaining games the big 12 by a mile

OU and their fans have always seen Texa$ as their number 1 rival and Nebraska was number two...this didn't start with the Big 12

Let's hear it folks.
I don't see us much different from where we are now. We were getting blown out back then to teams as well. That is part of the reason Solich was fired. I am curious if we had kept Solich long term. Could he have reworked things and brought us back? But as far as BIG12 or BIG10 I don't think it matters. I think the path is very similar. Although most BIG10 teams will have you believe it is because the BIG10 is SOOOOO much better.

I don't see us much different from where we are now. We were getting blown out back then to teams as well. That is part of the reason Solich was fired. I am curious if we had kept Solich long term. Could he have reworked things and brought us back? But as far as BIG12 or BIG10 I don't think it matters. I think the path is very similar. Although most BIG10 teams will have you believe it is because the BIG10 is SOOOOO much better.
No one was blowing us out in 2009 and 2010 before we left.

big 12 is as stable as ever with 10 teams
isu benefitted big time
now we have a chance to become pride of the north, with the vampire gone, if only our recruiting can notch up
even though the big 10 is funner to watch imo than the big 12, but being from iowa it might be more nostalgia
but big 12 is very stable now
it really needed to go down to 10 teams to stabilize
and with the espn+ partnership we dont have to play the should we have a channel game
big12 will be fine now
big10 is a really good conference though just not sure if nebraska can ever break out of the shadow of the big boys
mainly because they are not near any recruiting hot beds and scott frost is a mediocre coach
but ur fanbase is top notch

No one was blowing us out in 2009 and 2010 before we left.
Suh and the rest of the Callahan talent would have still graduated so we would have gotten beat by: Texas, Baylor, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma pretty much every time we played them.. Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Iowa State and West Virginia would have beat us probably 50% of the time or more. We could have been competitive with Kansas, Kansas State and Colorado. I threw a bunch of teams in there that who knows if we would have played based on realignment but the point remains the same. We were going to be in trouble no matter what but it is fun to dream that the conference is what caused our issues... Bo would have been canned at some point because of poor recruiting and lack of self control... Riley would have been Riley no matter what so here we are..

The amount of research $$$ and facilities that UNL has gained in the move by accessing the CIC (name was changed but I forget to what) dwarfs the big-time B1G athletic payout

This move helped/will help the university immensely

Just curious...since Nebraska was voted out of the AAU, and to my knowledge has not been back in, does the CIC money still pass through Lincoln?

giphy.gif

big 12 is as stable as ever with 10 teams
isu benefitted big time
now we have a chance to become pride of the north, with the vampire gone, if only our recruiting can notch up
even though the big 10 is funner to watch imo than the big 12, but being from iowa it might be more nostalgia
but big 12 is very stable now
it really needed to go down to 10 teams to stabilize
and with the espn+ partnership we dont have to play the should we have a channel game
big12 will be fine now
big10 is a really good conference though just not sure if nebraska can ever break out of the shadow of the big boys
mainly because they are not near any recruiting hot beds and scott frost is a mediocre coach
but ur fanbase is top notch
Bad week to quit heroin, evidently. I’m pretty sure we have just made excuses as I think the Big 10 has the same number of powers as the Big 12. If we are looking for a conference with no competition, we should try the MAC...

Let's hear it folks.
Bo would still be gone. The guy couldn't control his temper. It was just a matter of time before he imploded.

The Riley hire was so important to try and keep the talent at a decent level and it was the worst hire imaginable. Zero Big Ten experience, never won at any stop, terrible culture fit. Riley set us back at least 5 years.

Couldn't be happier that we have Frost. It will take more time than we hoped but Frost will right the ship. Too many holes and depth issues to fix in a year or two.

I think Riley and Bo could have been more successful if we stayed in the Big 12 but I love the future in the Big 10 with Frost.

One thing we can agree on, the Big 10 refs hate us.

Bad week to quit heroin, evidently. I’m pretty sure we have just made excuses as I think the Big 10 has the same number of powers as the Big 12. If we are looking for a conference with no competition, we should try the MAC...
I feel like we must be reading different threads.

Do you suppose Frost ever wonders what he was thinking coming back to a team with minimal talent, old facilities and a totally impatient fan base? Probably has great conversations with Martinez about patience and how fickle we fans are... we are going the right way, however, so that is good!

Reactions: zrob and bshirt73

im an isu fan that was simply thanking nebraska for leaving because it has helped us

one mans trash is another mans treasure
we could never get in the big10 because iowa hates us so bad because they want to be the only p5 team in the state
but with the big12 stabilizing we should be good for now and have an oppotunity to become the pride of the north if our recruiting can uptick with our first good coach since the 70s
but i also commented that the big10 is a great conference and i watch it way more than the big12

Reactions: zrob and ssmill777
Just curious...since Nebraska was voted out of the AAU, and to my knowledge has not been back in, does the CIC money still pass through Lincoln?
Good question... NU really benefited back in the day with partial qualifiers and the fact that the academics at UNL have never been very strong..

Do you suppose Frost ever wonders what he was thinking coming back to a team with minimal talent, old facilities and a totally impatient fan base? Probably has great conversations with Martinez about patience and how fickle we fans are... we are going the right way, however, so that is good!

I personally think it has always been his #1 choice regardless of how hard the job has been. Winners love challenges. Losers sound just like your post. Which one do you think is Frost?

Reactions: Frozone
Jmo I think frost and staff underestimated the talent, yes on paper these guys look and fit the bill, but hasn’t translated to on the field

Bo would still be gone. The guy couldn't control his temper. It was just a matter of time before he imploded.

The Riley hire was so important to try and keep the talent at a decent level and it was the worst hire imaginable. Zero Big Ten experience, never won at any stop, terrible culture fit. Riley set us back at least 5 years.

Couldn't be happier that we have Frost. It will take more time than we hoped but Frost will right the ship. Too many holes and depth issues to fix in a year or two.

I think Riley and Bo could have been more successful if we stayed in the Big 12 but I love the future in the Big 10 with Frost.

One thing we can agree on, the Big 10 refs hate us.
Riley won 2 Grey Cups in Canada, and was the coach for 4 of the 7 seasons (ever) when Oregon State won at least 9 games.

I'd agree that he wasn't the best fit for Nebraska, but I don't know if I'd say he's never won. His only college gig other than Nebraska is a place where most coaches haven't won. Oregon State had been to 9 bowls between 1939 and 2002, and he took them to 8 bowls between 2003 and 2013.

Again...bad fit for Nebraska, but I think he deserves a little more credit as a college coach in general than people give him.

Let's hear it folks.
Nothing would be different except that we'd be getting pounded by Oklahoma instead of Ohio State. And we'd be getting a lot less cash to take that beating in the Big 12.

Riley won 2 Grey Cups in Canada, and was the coach for 4 of the 7 seasons (ever) when Oregon State won at least 9 games.

I'd agree that he wasn't the best fit for Nebraska, but I don't know if I'd say he's never won. His only college gig other than Nebraska is a place where most coaches haven't won. Oregon State had been to 9 bowls between 1939 and 2002, and he took them to 8 bowls between 2003 and 2013.

Again...bad fit for Nebraska, but I think he deserves a little more credit as a college coach in general than people give him.
Grey Cup? Seriously? Most people have to look up Grey Cup. It's garbage.

Reactions: bshirt73
Rehire Tom. He can fix it. I think big red got sick of playing second fiddle to Texas. Move to the big 10 was just evidence that the program was fools gold. It’s not about the money. I think it was more about prestige. Doesn’t that stink.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT