ADVERTISEMENT

What if Spielman wasn't that good?

This is 100% my opinion and thoughts. I think history is showing us the type of players and personalities Mike Riley Recruited. Typically they look amazing on paper and have huge potential. However they seem to be mentally weak, and expect things to be handed to them and not earned. When things don't go their way, they bail. JD benefited from a guy like Morgan taking all the attention. IMO you could have put just about any WR in the JD spot the last 4 years and they would have had the same success. I think there is a reason JD struggled last year and I think it is the same reason he is now a backup at TCU. I said when he left I think this team is better without him vs with. I think he brought a ton of negative attitude to the team. Negativity is like a cancer to a team.

what kind of proof are you expecting?
There were so many rumors floating around with him, so it seemed a lot was fake.

But I believe the post you justquoted of mine looks like I’m questioning the other poster. I wasn’t, only saying it seems with how he left it may be right. Seems fairly telling you didn’t seem to hear like any players currently on the team being hurt/upset by him leaving.

So I wonder....why did he make that decision? Because Smiling Mike was gone???

And Keith Williams, he was very close to both. Also loves to fight the man and I’m not sure Frost (the man) has a lot of tolerance for that.

I don’t get the sentiment that we should all be rooting for JD and wishing him well. The guy caused so much trouble, trying to tear the team down from within and gave half assed effort unless he was getting the ball. Then went awol, leaving his teammates high and dry. Now I am supposed to root for him to tear it up at some other school? And if he does you know he will take shots at Nebraska, the coaches, the fans. Heck, he already does. I hope JD finds happiness and has a great life, but I am perfectly happy with him sitting on the end of TCU’s bench.

Last edited:
This is 100% my opinion and thoughts. I think history is showing us the type of players and personalities Mike Riley Recruited. Typically they look amazing on paper and have huge potential. However they seem to be mentally weak, and expect things to be handed to them and not earned. When things don't go their way, they bail. JD benefited from a guy like Morgan taking all the attention. IMO you could have put just about any WR in the JD spot the last 4 years and they would have had the same success. I think there is a reason JD struggled last year and I think it is the same reason he is now a backup at TCU. I said when he left I think this team is better without him vs with. I think he brought a ton of negative attitude to the team. Negativity is like a cancer to a team.

JD struggled last year because his QB was rated 129th out of 130 QBs by PFF.

I am a bit miffed at your description of Mike Riley's recruits. So did you just conveniently forget about an alarmingly large percentage of Scott Frost's recruits that have already bailed? Does Scott Frost recruit mentally weak players? I would argue that getting homesick and leaving because you miss mommy is the ultimate form of mental weakness.

The reality is a lot of these athletes are looking for their best shot to prove what they can do. That is hard when you are sitting on the sidelines. There are no guarantees in college sports. Many of these players have professional dreams, whether they are realistic or not.

I do agree about the negative vibe that JD seemed to bring to the team last year. Not good for the locker room. Do not think Frost was too happy about losing him though, so your assessment of his skills is quite off in my opinion.

Also, just want to add that Lavonte frickin' David Randy frickin' Gregory started out sitting on the Nebraska sideline when he transferred here during Bo's regime. Who was starting ahead of him again?

Last edited:
not a redshirt, a blanket waiver for 100% of players.

Can you imagine the records he could/would have set if he played for “2” years with the COVID eligibility ruling? He could have set records that lasted for decades.

He made his choice and best wishes to him. I won’t be keeping track of his progress. I have too much to worry about with family, work, and Husker athletics.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz

5e0.gif

JD was in on the last scoring drive.. But he hasn’t been in on every offensive position..

JD struggled last year because his QB was rated 129th out of 130 QBs by PFF.

I am a bit miffed at your description of Mike Riley's recruits. So did you just conveniently forget about an alarmingly large percentage of Scott Frost's recruits that have already bailed? Does Scott Frost recruit mentally weak players? I would argue that getting homesick and leaving because you miss mommy is the ultimate form of mental weakness.

The reality is a lot of these athletes are looking for their best shot to prove what they can do. That is hard when you are sitting on the sidelines. There are no guarantees in college sports. Many of these players have professional dreams, whether they are realistic or not.

I do agree about the negative vibe that JD seemed to bring to the team last year. Not good for the locker room. Do not think Frost was too happy about losing him though, so your assessment of his skills is quite off in my opinion.

Also, just want to add that Lavonte frickin' David started out sitting on the Nebraska sideline when he transferred here during Bo's regime. Who was starting ahead of him again?
Um, David started his first game against Western Kentucky in our season opener and led the team in tackles - on his way to setting new school record for tackles in a season. So not sure, who?

Um, David started his first game against Western Kentucky in our season opener and led the team in tackles - on his way to setting new school record for tackles in a season. So not sure, who?

I stand corrected then! Not sure who I am thinking about that came in as a transfer and did not start right away. Maybe Randy Gregory then?

well I suppose 1 carry for 5 yards, 2 rc for 16 yards and 2 punt returns for 27 yards for a total of 48 yards is great and exactly what he had in mind...;)
Yeah didn’t exactly light it up today or appear to be a priority target. We’ll see what happens the rest of the season, but they have a couple similar guys who seem to have priority status.

I agree with @headcard that I wish him the best in his life, but I’m fine with him fizzling out on the field and fading into history as the almost record setting WR who bailed on his team.

Yeah didn’t exactly light it up today or appear to be a priority target. We’ll see what happens the rest of the season, but they have a couple similar guys who seem to have priority status.

I agree with @headcard that I wish him the best in his life, but I’m fine with him fizzling out on the field and fading into history as the almost record setting WR who bailed on his team.

No doubt my man, no doubt. GBR

Through 3 games:

5 catches for 55 yards, longest of 19.

Same guy that absolutely carried our receiving corp. last year isn't seeing any action at TCU.

Says a ton about how easy that group must have been to defend last season.

This whole situation is a big mark on Frost. Despite the revisionist history on JD, he is still the best wr we have had over a period of many years. His on field performance combined with his family history in football makes his a perfect thermometer for how Frost and the staff were managing the program. Frost could not get the best player on the offense to buy in, to sell out, and stay at his home program, even though records were in place to be broken. JD belonged to the group with the weakest depth, and had no competition and he still jumped immediately to a middling program. This all points to a defunct situation behind closed doors. Frost came in with a ton of hubris and confidence, played the zero tolerance policy in terms of buy, blamed losses on "those guys", lost some FIVE DOZEN players to attrition, but also managed to overlook incarcerated star talent sexually assaulting people on campus, and his own star talent going through the motions. Hypocrisy was the name of the game in the 90s, but players have free will and motion in 2020, if a coach shows any level in inconsistency really good players are going to opt out for a man who gives them opportunity or at least knows what they are doing.

This whole situation is a big mark on Frost. Despite the revisionist history on JD, he is still the best wr we have had over a period of many years. His on field performance combined with his family history in football makes his a perfect thermometer for how Frost and the staff were managing the program. Frost could not get the best player on the offense to buy in, to sell out, and stay at his home program, even though records were in place to be broken. JD belonged to the group with the weakest depth, and had no competition and he still jumped immediately to a middling program. This all points to a defunct situation behind closed doors. Frost came in with a ton of hubris and confidence, played the zero tolerance policy in terms of buy, blamed losses on "those guys", lost some FIVE DOZEN players to attrition, but also managed to overlook incarcerated star talent sexually assaulting people on campus, and his own star talent going through the motions. Hypocrisy was the name of the game in the 90s, but players have free will and motion in 2020, if a coach shows any level in inconsistency really good players are going to opt out for a man who gives them opportunity or at least knows what they are doing.
Lol

Who was sexually assaulting people on campus and overlooked? The two guys accused of it were kicked off the team. Both could have helped our offense.

you’re so full of crap.

TLDR

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Jd loves music and likes football. If you are blaming Scott for wanting kids that love football blame away!

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT