ADVERTISEMENT

What if Spielman wasn't that good?

Gary Patterson had some high praise for Spielman, including being a potential punt return option and playing his original music at practice, but I don’t know what their other WR options look like.
JD was seen getting some off season work, but I could also picture him being rusty after his long stretch wavering about not wanting to play football (just for Nebraska as it turns out).

TCU is like the anti- Nebraska when it comes to their recruiting and roster talent. They send WRs, LBs, and Offensive Tackles to the NFL, and are pretty loaded there once again.

Spielman walked into a pretty dynamic receiver room down there, but I still think he will have a productive season if games are played.

And keep in mind, one of the highest rated receivers ever signed by TCU was Omar Manning three seasons ago. The only reason he didn't make it down there was because he struggled academically.

TCU beat out Oklahoma, Texas, A&M, Ohio State, LSU, Auburn, Notre Dame, Florida, Bama, and Michigan for Manning.

TCU gets one year of Spielman. Nebraska gets at least two seasons of a much more dynamic talent in Omar Manning.

Spielman put up a ton of numbers (relative to the Husker program history), mostly due to being the first Husker WR to play his whole career here in systems that were specifically designed for a slot receiver to do that. But he was also fairly limited in a lot of ways as well. He was our best WR aside from Wandale last year, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. For reference, Jordan Westerkamp was a MUCH better player and he went undrafted and was more a CFL level player than an NFL level one.

Wandale shows you what an elite level Slot Receiver looks like. Spielman does not do that.

TCU is like the anti- Nebraska when it comes to their recruiting and roster talent. They send WRs, LBs, and Offensive Tackles to the NFL, and are pretty loaded there once again.

Spielman walked into a pretty dynamic receiver room down there, but I still think he will have a productive season if games are played.

And keep in mind, one of the highest rated receivers ever signed by TCU was Omar Manning three seasons ago. The only reason he didn't make it down there was because he struggled academically.

TCU beat out Oklahoma, Texas, A&M, Ohio State, LSU, Auburn, Notre Dame, Florida, Bama, and Michigan for Manning.

TCU gets one year of Spielman. Nebraska gets at least two seasons of a much more dynamic talent in Omar Manning.
Wouldn’t TCU get two years of JD? Assuming he doesn’t try to go pro after the season.

Reactions: TFrazier

Not correct...TCU was a 5 win team and lost the only good WR they had in Reagor. I think it is more so a situation of Patterson being loyal to his recruits. JD will end up starting and getting a lot of PT as the season moves along.

Reactions: gw2kpro
Not correct...TCU was a 5 win team and lost the only good WR they had in Reagor. I think it is more so a situation of Patterson being loyal to his recruits. JD will end up starting and getting a lot of PT as the season moves along.
In an article I read, Patterson commented on both JD and the LSU linebacker saying both had lots of talent, but the old standby " they need reps in the system before they are ready to contribute" comment.

What?

I said they were like the Anti Nebraska. That doesn't mean they were good.

Nebraska has a better Dline, interior offensive line, RBs, QB, and a deeper secondary. Hell, if you could combine the two rosters, it would be really damn good... ha.

Ahh... yes, the Covid eligibility. You're correct. Nebraska technically could have Manning through the 2022 season, but I think he goes pro After Fall of '21.
Is that how it works? Does this year not count at all for anyone or can you just redshirt players no matter how many games they play? JD has used his RS.

I mean, good luck to the kid, but he's no longer a Husker so I don't really care if he ever plays a down at TCU. In fact I hope TCU loses every game while he is on the roster.

Do I sound bitter? Yep.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
I mean, good luck to the kid, but he's no longer a Husker so I don't really care if he ever plays a down at TCU. In fact I hope TCU loses every game while he is on the roster.

Do I sound bitter? Yep.

I’m with you. I’m a jilted lover as well. JD is the man, and I can’t believe he bailed on his team.

Hope he rides the pine all season long.

I will say I loved JD while he was here. But I think I'm recognizing my view may have been a little overrated.

Reactions: bshirt73
I’m with you. I’m a jilted lover as well. JD is the man, and I can’t believe he bailed on his team.

Hope he rides the pine all season long.
Ouch. I'm sad he bailed, but I don't wish him ill. He was our everything which probably shows how bad we were at the position.

Reactions: bshirt73
He’s a good WR. Not great. Willing to make the tough catch and get creamed, but not a good perimeter blocker.

He is a pretty good kick returner. He is a below average punt returner, at least in terms of deciding when to catch the punt and then actually catching it.

Reactions: Hford and bshirt73
The dude would have all kinds of records for us if he would have came back. He was a good Husker while he was here and I wish him nothing but the best moving forward. Sheez.. Move on. He has.
He was the last bad seed that needed to be weeded out aaaand he gone!

Reactions: GBRforLife1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT