ADVERTISEMENT

What if Danny Ross is right

I would think sovereignty would also be an issue. We can point at the SEC and say "oh hey they are play why are you denying me" but we aren't part of that enterprise and there's no regulations specifically saying the B1G has to make the same risk decisions that the SEC does.

In areas without govt enforced mask mandates you have stores that require them and some that don't. You can't sue to make them have the same risk calculation.

Reactions: TheBeav815
We were okay with that, until they demonstrated a pattern of not honoring their schedule and Nebraska presents them with an option that allows them to play in 2020 and still honor the B1G's projected schedule for 2021.

I'm sort of doubtful that flies. NCAA football is more regulated than just having enough in the tank to play a few games in the spring after a short fall schedule.

Competitive balance is also an issue that every coach is concerned about. The rest of the B1G has chosen to comply with the rules of the road and will be doing walk thrus and film study. NU remaining a member of the conference will not be allowed to have full blown practice regimen all fall while the other schools do not while NU also gains the experience of playing in a half a dozen or so games.

NU could attempt to use this issue to get other schools to raise a hissy and force the B1Gs hand but that ship seems to have sailed.

I'm sort of doubtful that flies. NCAA football is more regulated than just having enough in the tank to play a few games in the spring after a short fall schedule.

Competitive balance is also an issue that every coach is concerned about. The rest of the B1G has chosen to comply with the rules of the road and will be doing walk thrus and film study. NU remaining a member of the conference will not be allowed to have full blown practice regimen all fall while the other schools do not while NU also gains the experience of playing in a half a dozen or so games.

NU could attempt to use this issue to get other schools to raise a hissy and force the B1Gs hand but that ship seems to have sailed.
Regulated by the NCAA? If the NCAA were the stumbling block they'd have made the decision for the B1G and every other conference.

It's not about hissy, bravado, or posturing. It's not about competitive balance because every team in the conference can do the same if they choose to. It's about leverage and until Nebraska has some they're not doing anything and after they get it whatever they do will be temporary and can't interfere with the 2021 season, hence the entire concept of dispensation.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Regulated by the NCAA? If the NCAA were the stumbling block they'd have made the decision for the B1G and every other conference.

It's not about hissy, bravado, or posturing. It's not about competitive balance because every team in the conference can do the same if they choose to. It's about leverage and until Nebraska has some they're not doing anything and after they get it whatever they do will be temporary and can't interfere with the 2021 season, hence the entire concept of dispensation.

No every team in the conference cannot do it until they raise a similar hissy and potentially back it with legal action.

Since OSU has gone above Coach Days head and told him to color...the one thing he can do while he's watching film this fall with Fields is attempt to use competitive balance at future B1G meetings to hold Nebraska to the fire or make us get out.

No every team in the conference cannot do it until they raise a similar hissy and potentially back it with legal action.

Since OSU has gone above Coach Days head and told him to color...the one thing he can do while he's watching film this fall with Fields is attempt to use competitive balance at future B1G meetings to hold Nebraska to the fire or make us get out.
Is anything Nebraska is doing preventing anyone in the conference from doing that?

Nothing Coach Day is going to do or say will impact Nebraska off the field. If Nebraska's going to get ran out of the B1G it's going to be for something far more significant than competitive balance.

Is anything Nebraska is doing preventing anyone in the conference from doing that?

Nothing Coach Day is going to do or say will impact Nebraska off the field. If Nebraska's going to get ran out of the B1G it's going to be for something far more significant than competitive balance.

Right. All I'm saying is the B1G is going to be able to stack up logs saying we don't intend to be a conference member in good standing while 13 other teams are. NU has zero evidence that the B1G will deny them all revenue and not act in good faith towards a spring season. NU also has no right to expectation as a B1G conference member that we follow the decision of other conference. Or we should have joined those conferences. Warren and the other members will be able to give us that choice again now assuming we want to eat the cost of doing it.

Right. All I'm saying is the B1G is going to be able to stack up logs saying we don't intend to be a conference member in good standing while 13 other teams are. NU has zero evidence that the B1G will deny them all revenue and not act in good faith towards a spring season. NU also has no right to expectation as a B1G conference member that we follow the decision of other conference. Or we should have joined those conferences. Warren and the other members will be able to give us that choice again now assuming we want to eat the cost of doing it.
Zero evidence the B1G won't act in good faith? They literally canceled the season six days after releasing a schedule. I would say that's evidentiary.

As for the B1G standing, any move Nebraska will make would have to be in compliance with their spring schedule or they won't be in good standing. That doesn't mean they couldn't safely play 4 games from Oct 1-Nov 15 and still honor those commitments, that's just an example. Three, two, one, whatever. They're building a case for any number greater than zero and they're not grasping at straws when they can point to 40 P5 teams playing every week.

Reactions: spinner4
Zero evidence the B1G won't act in good faith? They literally canceled the season six days after releasing a schedule. I would say that's evidentiary.

As for the B1G standing, any move Nebraska will make would have to be in compliance with their spring schedule or they won't be in good standing. That doesn't mean they couldn't safely play 4 games from Oct 1-Nov 15 and still honor those commitments, that's just an example. Three, two, one, whatever. They're building a case for any number greater than zero and they're not grasping at straws when they can point to 40 P5 teams playing every week.

Post poned. We can't prove otherwise from this point in time

We had people snarking about OSU shading in practice regulations and whether they were fully compliant with the no pads thing.

And you think the other thirteen members are going to let NU practice and play for two months and show up in the spring like nothing happened? Is marijuana legal in Nebraska now?

We had people snarking about OSU shading in practice regulations and whether they were fully compliant with the no pads thing.

And you think the other thirteen members are going to let NU practice and play for two months and show up in the spring like nothing happened? Is marijuana legal in Nebraska now?
What ever came of that snarking?

Too much money to walk away from in the BIG, plain and simple. No way we leave millions on the table to bolt to BIG12. I wish we would as it is probably a better fit but don’t see it happening.

We're going to lose $100 million because the Big Ten won't let us play.

And if the Big 12, SEC, and ACC are able to play full seasons this fall, the Big Ten might lose a lot of value relative to these other conference.

Nothing because it's just little people in this board. But the heads of thirteen other conference schools are not little people. And we believe a majority of them to be biased against us.
Nothing. You had me at nothing.

The answer is also nothing when asked what Nebraska can do to prevent any other team from trying to play in the fall of 2020. You're acting like Nebraska's actions are somehow preventing others from doing the same.

As for the other heads, if Nebraska wanted to be dutiful conference member, they'd have made that statement. They still may, but they've spoken out on the other end of the spectrum up to this point.

Nothing. You had me at nothing.

The answer is also nothing when asked what Nebraska can do to prevent any other team from trying to play in the fall of 2020. You're acting like Nebraska's actions are somehow preventing others from doing the same.

As for the other heads, if Nebraska wanted to be dutiful conference member, they'd have made that statement. They still may, but they've spoken out on the other end of the spectrum up to this point.

Yah I mean I'm up for some pop corn if they want to make a fight out of it but I don't think there's reasonable expectation that we do our own thing and just sneak back in the B1G's window in the spring. We either go or stay.

The only good the B1G has is it’s money. Ultimately the teams we play are pretty boring and hard to like or dislike. It’s much more difficult to recruit Nebraska in the big ten. Ohio and Pennsylvania are the “hot beds” in recruiting for conference play and we have zero presence there.

we haven’t exactly been treated fair in scheduling and officiating since we entered either. B1G officials are awful. Worst in the business. And I miss night football. Hate every games at 11 am. Just early enough that high school kids are sleeping in and missing most of your game and /or can’t make a visit. We are lucky cause we get 2:30 time slots, but still need way more 7 pm kickoffs
Agree 100%.

99% that wouldn’t happen. If the B12 adds anyone, BYU would lead the pack but I don’t believe that would happen either.
You are out of your mind. Nebraska is a huge draw that would bring in big time money and has traditional rivalries with the majority of the conference. A conference with programs like Baylor and WVU is in no position to not accept Nebraska.

Reactions: phoenix4nu
Everyone brings up difficulty in recruiting but it's an excuse at this point in time.

We recruit better then pretty much every team except the other three blue blood with natural talent pools and we certainly recruit better than every team in our division.

We aren't going to out recruit OSU moving to the B12 and everyone knows it.

This isn’t about football alone. COVID, liability and money are pretty big players here. With conferences canceling their seasons, the liability for anybody that chooses to play has now increased exponentially. The Big Ten and Ivy League canceling was the nail and the hammer. Or Exhibit A and B if you choose - in the inevitable lawsuits that will be coming if you have a catastrophic outcome with a player.

Thought it was shrewd that Frost/Nebraska made a last noble plea ( for the players), but worried that Huskers could be bleeding a lot of goodwill now if they don’t acquiesce. As I’m typing this a thought came to mind - Man I could see Bo P. up at that podium saying/spitting that same narrative!

Chances of the other three conferences playing in the fall are so slim, this would be a dangerous move.

If Nebraska did take their ball and go home, and the other conferences cancel - how stupid does Nebraska look? The amount of potential damage to the brand is not even close to being worth it.

So many on this board have criticized the professional Athletes/leagues for how greedy they all looked during negotiations for restarts - how is this any different?

And there still is the very real possibility that this is the right choice given all the circumstances.

Please just let it go Nebraska.

Yah I mean I'm up for some pop corn if they want to make a fight out of it but I don't think there's reasonable expectation that we do our own thing and just sneak back in the B1G's window in the spring. We either go or stay.
I doubt it happens as well, but without having access to what they're doing, it's the only reasonable course of action I could come up with to match what they're putting out there; that and the likelihood of the university seeking remuneration should there be lost earnings and lost potential earnings, of course.

Nebraska's options/desires probably won't matter in the long run, though. It's roughly six weeks before anyone is planning to play and I expect the other P5 conferences to have postponed by that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: jflores
I thought also that it was good for Frost to go out and make a speech so his guys felt like he acknowledged and valued all the work they've put it. Let them feel like he's their man.

It's time for him and Moos and Ben Sasse and whoever else to stop now. It goes from a good look to a bad look when you don't know when to quit.They're trying to kill the golden goose.

There are how many million$ of reason$ a year to sit tight in the B1G? Almost 100? Jflores' analogy of sinking the fleet to win a war game was perfect. Scott and Moos are being penny wise and pound foolish right now, the conference won't let them go under. If you think any entity with two brain cells to rub together looks at the earning power of Nebraska football as a long-term investment and goes, "Nah, we'll let you go bankrupt, we don't want the assloads of future revenue share you'll bring us when this is all over." then I have some oceanfront property in Tekamah I'd like to sell you.

Their choices are to not play with the rest of the B1G or GTFO and guess what? There's zero guarantee they finish a season if they leave the conference. Still every possibility that they get 1 game or 2 games in and every other conference shuts it down.

Let these MAC schools and Mountain West and whoever else wither on the vine, NU has the reserves to sit tight for a year and buy up the metaphorical land on the cheap, suddenly you're looking at a ton of sweet transfer portal talent and less recruiting competition. So you don't break ground on your new facility for a while, are you gonna be the coach still in 2025 or what?

It sucks, it's frustrating. I'm gonna be depressed to wake up on crisp mornings and smell that cool air and have no Husker game to look forward to. But this stretch of 2020-21 is about the long game.

You are out of your mind. Nebraska is a huge draw that would bring in big time money and has traditional rivalries with the majority of the conference. A conference with programs like Baylor and WVU is in no position to not accept Nebraska.
Texas got Neb kicked out of the AAU. They would vote no for a return to the B12

I thought also that it was good for Frost to go out and make a speech so his guys felt like he acknowledged and valued all the work they've put it. Let them feel like he's their man.

It's time for him and Moos and Ben Sasse and whoever else to stop now. It goes from a good look to a bad look when you don't know when to quit.They're trying to kill the golden goose.

There are how many million$ of reason$ a year to sit tight in the B1G? Almost 100? Jflores' analogy of sinking the fleet to win a war game was perfect. Scott and Moos are being penny wise and pound foolish right now, the conference won't let them go under. If you think any entity with two brain cells to rub together looks at the earning power of Nebraska football as a long-term investment and goes, "Nah, we'll let you go bankrupt, we don't want the assloads of future revenue share you'll bring us when this is all over." then I have some oceanfront property in Tekamah I'd like to sell you.

Their choices are to not play with the rest of the B1G or GTFO and guess what? There's zero guarantee they finish a season if they leave the conference. Still every possibility that they get 1 game or 2 games in and every other conference shuts it down.

Let these MAC schools and Mountain West and whoever else wither on the vine, NU has the reserves to sit tight for a year and buy up the metaphorical land on the cheap, suddenly you're looking at a ton of sweet transfer portal talent and less recruiting competition. So you don't break ground on your new facility for a while, are you gonna be the coach still in 2025 or what?

It sucks, it's frustrating. I'm gonna be depressed to wake up on crisp mornings and smell that cool air and have no Husker game to look forward to. But this stretch of 2020-21 is about the long game.

I think it was important to have Frost do some virtue signalling about how much he's going to bat for his guys.IIf we don't end up playing we'll have a long time to bridge in recruiting and so forth.

Is it legal semantics like a political candidate saying they are "suspending the campaign" rather than officially end it?

Basically. If the season is post poned, NU still has an obligation to report for when its turned back on.

Its sort of a dirty secret that we likely won't play, but fan conspiracy won't hold up in court. NU still has the expectation to comply with B1G regulations regarding conference preps for a season later in the year.

If they just cut bait, we just get real desparate and do what we want to do.

I doubt espn increases the big 12 revenue enough to make it worth adding Nebraska. Just not the national draw.

Money?
What money?
There will be none this year.
TV deals will likely be re-negotiated at lower costs due to this breach of contract.
Big 12 is catching up to the big ten. And sec will become dominant financial conference.

Reactions: leodisflowers

Not million$, billion$. Everybody talks about football and TV money, but by joining this conference, Nebraska also gets the privilege of being part of the B1G Academic Alliance, which engages in $10 billion in funded research every year.

Headquartered in the Midwest, the Big Ten Academic Alliance is the nation’s preeminent model for effective collaboration among research universities. For more than half a century, these world-class institutions have advanced their academic missions, generated unique opportunities for students and faculty, and served the common good by sharing expertise, leveraging campus resources, and collaborating on innovative programs. Governed and funded by the Provosts of the member universities, Big Ten Academic Alliance mandates are coordinated by a staff from its Champaign, Illinois headquarters.

Not million$, billion$. Everybody talks about football and TV money, but by joining this conference, Nebraska also gets the privilege of being part of the B1G Academic Alliance, which engages in $10 billion in funded research every year.

Headquartered in the Midwest, the Big Ten Academic Alliance is the nation’s preeminent model for effective collaboration among research universities. For more than half a century, these world-class institutions have advanced their academic missions, generated unique opportunities for students and faculty, and served the common good by sharing expertise, leveraging campus resources, and collaborating on innovative programs. Governed and funded by the Provosts of the member universities, Big Ten Academic Alliance mandates are coordinated by a staff from its Champaign, Illinois headquarters.
Now don't you go talking about any of that sissy book learnin' on a football board, these posters will stuff you in a locker for hating football.

Reactions: jrhuskerdad
Now don't you go talking about any of that sissy book learnin' on a football board, these posters will stuff you in a locker for hating football.

No knock to anyone here but I do find it funny people basically say we aren't a culture fit and then go on to basically say the B1G basically cares about school and we just really want to play football.

Not the best of looks. And Nebraskans are smart, well accomplished people.

This is about as thorough and accurate account of the situation that exists. You just got there before I did. I’m in the bargaining stage of grief.

I just hate that we will have no Husker football this fall. Hate it, times infinity.

No knock to anyone here but I do find it funny people basically say we aren't a culture fit and then go on to basically say the B1G basically cares about school and we just really want to play football.

Not the best of looks. And Nebraskans are smart, well accomplished people.
Seriously, imagine busting yourself down like that by declaring that you're not a fit with the smart people.

Everyone say it with me, "The N stands for..."

Reactions: jflores
Things change over time, money goes up and sometimes down.

This might be inevitable to save the program.

Thinking you're going to sit in the B1G and get rich by fielding a crap program every year might have been a nice retirement idea for the program, but is that what people really want?

I don't think so.

This is the only chance you are going to get. You have to take it and don't look back.

Damn well stated sir!

B1G owns Nebraska media rights so it could never happen unless B1G gave permission. And that's already a big NO.

I am not an attorney, but is the only hope for Nebraska to get out of their grant of rights to the BIG would be to claim the BIG is not delivering a fall football schedule and hence the grant is null and void? I would seriously doubt the GOR defined what type of football season it had to provide, no one could see this coming. I bet future contracts might specify and define what a football season is and what inventory of games over this time period are being granted. I damn sure would in the future. The BIG will claim it just postponed the season. Now if the BIG cancels the spring season, does Nebraska have a claim? Did the GOR's have a force majeure clause? I hate to keep bringing up FM but my god that is usually standard boiler plate contract terms. Simple contracts in Vegas to hold an event that defines your room nights, event space, room rates, attrition dates, etc...has a FM clause. These contracts have so much more at stake financially than those contracts.

Wonder if there is still opportunity for a 1 year exception. Remain part of the conference for winter/spring sports, but be independent for Fall 2020. We'd have to forfeit a substantial portion of our BTN money. Could work for any school wanting to do the same

We'd also lose access to any benefits we recieve from being a part of the conference, such as legal or logistical support. No games on BTN, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT