ADVERTISEMENT

What if Danny Ross is right

If the word fighting is correct, then I lean towards #fakenews

If Nebraska was available and ready to play a B12 schedule, there wouldn't be any if's/and's/or butt's about it from the other end.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
If the word fighting is correct, then I lean towards #fakenews

If Nebraska was available and ready to play a B12 schedule, there wouldn't be any if's/and's/or butt's about it from the other end.
Hard to believe that it would work for just one year given what Warren has said. I think it has to be permanent or not at all.

Our boy Danny is aware
It probably wouldn't make financial sense in the long term to jump to the Big 12. And what if the Big 12 moves its season to the Spring too? Then there wouldn't even be a short term benefit to jumping to the Big 12. After all the dust settles, I think we stay in the B1G this season and beyond, with no football this fall.

Last edited:
It probably wouldn't make financial sense for the long term to jump to the Big 12. And what if the Big 12 moves its season to the Spring too? Then there wouldn't even be a short term benefit to jumping to the Big 12. After all the dust settles, I think we stay in the B1G this season and beyond, with no football this fall.

What if we’ve been waiting for a perfect moment/reason to leave the B10?

But I agree with you. Once the dust settles, we’ll remain in the B10.

Two big sticking points. The maybe factor of the season, and the long term expectation. You can make alot of hay with the fanbases by showing bravado about starting right now. No one is talking about finishing. Pretty much every conference as of a week or so ago before this season cancellation thing became all the rage...expected to not finish the season. Most of us thought we might get like 3 or 4 games.

How much of a fit does NU want to throw for "maybe" 6 games? maybe less? Maybe none?

If we want to talk about Ted Carters naval background and what he brings to the table, he's not sinking his own fleet to win a war game. WW3 maybe, but not a war game.

What if we’ve been waiting for a perfect moment/reason to leave the B10?

But I agree with you. Once the dust settles, we’ll remain in the B10.

Who exactly has been waiting for this perfect moment? Frost? I mean sure, offense would work better in the B12 but we ain't moving conferences for that.

The B1G is a wet dream for anyone who doesn't sit in North Stadium. For over 95% of campus, this would be like asking if we've been secretly waiting to cut our d*** off.

Our boy Danny is aware
So Danny Ross thinks it may be worth it to formally exit the B10 so they can play in the B12 this year in order to gain the revenue.

Setting aside the notice of exit requirement (2 years IIRC), you could possibly end up in a worse financial situation if Nebraska decides to make a permanent move back to the B12, the Huskers prepare to play a B12 schedule this Fall, and then the B12 is forced to cancel its season before it starts or early in September with only one or two games played.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Who exactly has been waiting for this perfect moment? Frost? I mean sure, offense would work better in the B12 but we ain't moving conferences for that.

The B1G is a wet dream for anyone who doesn't sit in North Stadium. For over 95% of campus, this would be like asking if we've been secretly waiting to cut our d*** off.

I just want to win, I don’t care which conference we are in. If we have a better chance at making the college football playoffs by playing in the B12 then so be it. As a fan I don’t care about the dollars. But we do not fit in the B10, never have and probably never will unless we start killing it and the B10 will then embrace us more. Us in the B10 is equivalent as West Virginia in the B12 or Colorado in the PAC 10. Just doesn’t make much sense.

I think it's likely something Nebraska explored but just as a one season thing. I don't see it happening on a permanent basis. Even if NU was willing to accept less money, when the Big XII TV contract is up Texas goes back to flirting with the Pac-12 or independence again, and NU is back in the same situation as 2010 without the Big Ten as an option.

I just want to win, I don’t care which conference we are in. If we have a better chance at making the college football playoffs by playing in the B12 then so be it. As a fan I don’t care about the dollars. But we do not fit in the B10, never have and probably never will unless we start killing it and the B10 will then embrace us more. Us in the B10 is equivalent as West Virginia in the B12 or Colorado in the PAC 10. Just doesn’t make much sense.

This isn't a slight against you, but if that's the general board criteria its going to be hard to have a serious discussion about where we end up. The conference affiliation is more than about sports.

Whether its Frost/Moos/Carter/Regents...I guarantee winning percentage isn't going to be a criteria for staying or going. The B12 North and the B1G West were supposed to be two of the easier divs in football for NU to compete in and we really haven't dominated either.

As far as cultural fit, we were the outlier in that we are the not-so-well thought of academically school. That has gone away at least a little, we're probably still near the bottom of the conference rating of best unis.

We traded ISU for Iowa and the states of Kansas/Oklahoma for Illinois/Indiana. I'm not going to sit and argue that Chicago is like Omaha, just bigger, that's dumb, but Omaha ain't like Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio either.

Outside of Chicago you could drive from Omaha to OSU and the rural areas have more in common with us than we do with Texas. Texas being the center of the universe and all, and the sizable Hispanic culture that resides there that just isn't present in the same manner in the Plains states.

So basically the argument could be made either way really.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seascout3
Things change over time, money goes up and sometimes down.

This might be inevitable to save the program.

Thinking you're going to sit in the B1G and get rich by fielding a crap program every year might have been a nice retirement idea for the program, but is that what people really want?

I don't think so.

This is the only chance you are going to get. You have to take it and don't look back.

Things change over time, money goes up and sometimes down.

This might be inevitable to save the program.

Thinking you're going to sit in the B1G and get rich by fielding a crap program every year might have been a nice retirement idea for the program, but is that what people really want?

I don't think so.

This is the only chance you are going to get. You have to take it and don't look back.
So by leaving, Nebraska admits that the BIG is really too tough to compete in week to week as conference members have said over the years. Well, K State and ISU are no longer cupcakes.

So by leaving, Nebraska admits that the BIG is really too tough to compete in week to week as conference members have said over the years. Well, K State and ISU are no longer cupcakes.
Some might see it that way, some might see it as a fitment issue. We seem to still be getting good recruits under Frost. I think having a bigger footprint in Texas would help again. There are a lot of things involved with it. You can try to fit it into a one idea summary, but to me, it's a much bigger issue than that.

Reactions: headcard
I said this another thread. I don't think Frost and Moos care what the outside world thinks, at all. Plus, winning cures all. If we got to the Big 12 and win, noone talks about us leaving the Big 10. I honestly think that after a years back in the Big 12, we'd be a top tier team.

Reactions: headcard
Right now there is no doubt we would win more games in the B12, but there is too much money in the B10.

Reactions: WHCSC
Don’t see leaving the B1G either.. We need that kind of money also to build our new football facility which will for sure be put a hold for another year or two..

Reactions: GretnaShawn
The only good the B1G has is it’s money. Ultimately the teams we play are pretty boring and hard to like or dislike. It’s much more difficult to recruit Nebraska in the big ten. Ohio and Pennsylvania are the “hot beds” in recruiting for conference play and we have zero presence there.

we haven’t exactly been treated fair in scheduling and officiating since we entered either. B1G officials are awful. Worst in the business. And I miss night football. Hate every games at 11 am. Just early enough that high school kids are sleeping in and missing most of your game and /or can’t make a visit. We are lucky cause we get 2:30 time slots, but still need way more 7 pm kickoffs

The only good the B1G has is it’s money. Ultimately the teams we play are pretty boring and hard to like or dislike. It’s much more difficult to recruit Nebraska in the big ten. Ohio and Pennsylvania are the “hot beds” in recruiting for conference play and we have zero presence there.

we haven’t exactly been treated fair in scheduling and officiating since we entered either. B1G officials are awful. Worst in the business. And I miss night football. Hate every games at 11 am. Just early enough that high school kids are sleeping in and missing most of your game and /or can’t make a visit. We are lucky cause we get 2:30 time slots, but still need way more 7 pm kickoffs
Spot on.

B1G owns Nebraska media rights so it could never happen unless B1G gave permission. And that's already a big NO.

Make the move. This is about the B1G being too weak to let kids play sports. I live in B1G country and since their decision yesterday, I'm all about leaving the conference that cares more about political points and virtue signaling than it does for the kids that carry the weight of their revenue. F### the B1G

The Big 12 isn't going to rearrange their schedule to include Nebraska and BYU for a year. If one or both were committed to join and they wanted them to join (Nebraska would be a yes, BYU by themselves would be a no, but getting back to 12 with Nebraska AND BYU might be attractive), they could get them some Big 12 matchups this season. It would be a pretty bold move on the part of Nebraska and the Big 12, but not 100% out of the question.

I could see something like this happening: 1) Nebraska announces a football schedule 2) Warren threatens a huge fine, suspension for a season, or some other massive penalty 3) Nebraska puts in their official 2-yr notice to leave the Big Ten 4) Lawyers negotiate a settlement with Nebraska and possibly the Big 12 buying back media rights to allow Nebraska to exit immediately. It would be a messy divorce and a short term financial hit to all concerned, but messy divorces happen every day.

When looking at the financial ramifications, don't forget that in addition to the Big 12 TV money, Nebraska would retain 3rd tier media rights. That isn't worth much to ISU or KSU, but could mean $10-15 million on top of the league money, plus control of that media.

I think it's likely something Nebraska explored but just as a one season thing. I don't see it happening on a permanent basis. Even if NU was willing to accept less money, when the Big XII TV contract is up Texas goes back to flirting with the Pac-12 or independence again, and NU is back in the same situation as 2010 without the Big Ten as an option.

I agree, I think it would be a big mistake, BIG offers more $$, more prestige, all kinds of additional academic and research advantages, we are after all, a university not a pro football team. We need to just back off and shut up. I was ok with Frosts comments on Monday, but WTF after Tuesday's announcements we sounded like fools.

The issue is that Nebraska needs a guarantee that the majority of Power 5 conferences are playing to have any pull in forcing a temporary decision and that's in general regardless of who they'd like to play.

The ACC/Big XII/SEC can't guarantee them that.

If the majority of the rest of the college football world has a full, or near full, season and Nebraska is the only college in the conference that never wavered in asking for a special dispensation for the fall of 2020, look to recoup a significant amount of money from the B1G conference.

Right now, though, Nebraska is in the asking phase of seeking that the conference lifts its restrictive covenants over its media rights and the notice of expulsion that would accompany any games outside of the conference and Nebraska almost certainly has no projected games lined up. The B1G can deny them based on the fact that no teams have played, no teams have made any money, and there's no guarantee they will, and Nebraska has no viable options.

I would be intrigued to see how steadfast the B1G conference is three weeks into a season when Nebraska has an opponent that's agreed to play in week 4 and nearly 40 other P5 teams have three weeks of games under their belts. Right now, Nebraska just has no leverage.

Last edited:
Reactions: mavsker
The issue is that Nebraska needs a guarantee that the majority of Power 5 conferences are playing to have any pull in forcing a temporary decision and that's in general regardless of who they'd like to play.

The ACC/Big XII/SEC can't guarantee them that.

If the majority of the rest of the college football world has a full, or near full, season and Nebraska is the only college in the conference that never wavered in asking for a special dispensation for the fall of 2020, look to recoup a significant amount of money from the B1G conference.

Right now, though, Nebraska is in the asking phase of seeking that the conference lifts its restrictive covenants over its media rights and the notice of expulsion that would accompany any games outside of the conference and Nebraska almost certainly has no projected games lined up. The B1G can deny them based on the fact that no teams have played, no teams have made any money, and there's no guarantee they will, and Nebraska has no viable options.

I would be intrigued to see how steadfast the B1G conference is three weeks into a season when Nebraska has an opponent that's agreed to play in week 4 and nearly 40 other P5 teams have three weeks of games under their belts. Right now, Nebraska just has no leverage.

How much of an issue is it that Nebraska can't really claim the B1G intends to deny them all revenue until any potential spring season is cancelled next year.

Nebraska is part of a larger enterprise that made a decision that it didn't like pertaining to when the revenue will be earned. But it's only a minority holder in said enterprise and that's the normal state of things in any enterprise. Judges don't seem prime to awarding course corrections before the wrongs are actually committed. Which in our case wouldn't be until spring.

How much of an issue is it that Nebraska can't really claim the B1G intends to deny them all revenue until any potential spring season is cancelled next year.

Nebraska is part of a larger enterprise that made a decision that it didn't like pertaining to when the revenue will be earned. But it's only a minority holder in said enterprise and that's the normal state of things in any enterprise. Judges don't seem prime to awarding course corrections before the wrongs are actually committed. Which in our case wouldn't be until spring.
The B1G hasn't produced a schedule for the spring nor the fall of 2021 to offset the losses in 2020 and recently withdrew a schedule it put out just six days prior without new evidentiary or medical information being presented, so the guarantee from the conference would mean nothing based on the history of the situation.

In terms of the spring, Nebraska can play a handful of games, likely 3-4, and still honor its commitment to the conference. Nebraska isn't playing a full schedule in 2020, though...whether they want to or not.

The B1G hasn't produced a schedule for the spring nor the fall of 2021 to offset the losses in 2020 and recently withdrew a schedule it put out just six days prior without new evidentiary or medical information being presented, so the guarantee from the conference would mean nothing based on the history of the situation.

Yah but they could generate a schedule in about ten minutes and we didn't have a fall schedule until a month before it was supposed to start. And we were ok with that. That would give them until next February to gin up an equivalent plan to present in court.

Yah but they could generate a schedule in about ten minutes and we didn't have a fall schedule until a month before it was supposed to start. And we were ok with that. That would give them until next February to gin up an equivalent plan to present in court.
We were okay with that, until they demonstrated a pattern of not honoring their schedule and Nebraska presents them with an option that allows them to play in 2020 and still honor the B1G's projected schedule for 2021.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT