ADVERTISEMENT

What Husker play caused you to throw a temper tantrum

I should add that these were when I was a kid and not an actual adult with any kind of maturity or self control

Too many to keep track of, but here’s a few very random selections:

1. The phantom penalty on Corey Dixon kick return against FSU.
2. No penalty when KSU turned Eric Crouch into the exorcist child (head 180*)
3. Niles Paul dropping a lateral against Texas Tech and leaving it there with no whistle for TTU to return for a TD.
4. Niles Paul fumbling on free untouched sideline run that would have been a TD against Iowa St, along with the other 7 turnovers that day (4 inside the 5 yd line!!!).
5. Antonio Reed’s stupid targeting penalty in that one game that made us lose.
6. Cam Taylor Britt’s punt return display that poisoned the season from day 1
7. No suspension for the Colorado AM gator roll play.
8. Not feeding Jano against Iowa when he was averaging something like 6 yds a carry… but letting Tommy go YOLO for a deep 4th and 1 failure.

Didn't even have to think about it....2015 vs Illinois....

• 3rd & 7 at ILL 27​

(1:46 - 4th) Tommy Armstrong Jr. pass incomplete to Devine Ozigbo

I mean for god's sake, wtf was Riley thinking?

• 3rd & 7 at ILL 27​

Terrence Nunn's fumble vs Texas is in 2nd place for me...just hold on to the ball, game over. At least that one was an effort play, that pass against ILL on 3rd down when we are milking the clock was just inexplicable, Riley should have been fired on the spot.

Terrence Nunn's fumble vs Texas is in 2nd place for me...just hold on to the ball, game over. At least that one was an effort play, that pass against ILL on 3rd down when we are milking the clock was just inexplicable, Riley should have been fired on the spot.
Was there for that game and you just felt the energy fly out of the stadium when that happened

That was crushing…. soul crushing.
It’d be hard for anyone to hold onto that one. It was a bang bang play and helmet right on the ball.
There’s a lot of talk about the seconds added at the end of the B12 championship game- also a crushing blow, but we scored 0 TDs. Hard to win a championship with zero TDs, so it’s slightly less bitter for me than Nunn’s fumble for some reason.

The utter uselessness of our defense against Wisky’s jet sweep in the Flash Gordon B1G championship game was another kick in the nards.
Cosgrove’s soft cushion defense- Diaco’s soft cushion defense…..
paired with Diaco’s comment “there’s no reasonable reason (why our guys should be expected to be capable of winning).”

sad stuff

That was crushing…. soul crushing.
It’d be hard for anyone to hold onto that one. It was a bang bang play and helmet right on the ball.
There’s a lot of talk about the seconds added at the end of the B12 championship game- also a crushing blow, but we scored 0 TDs. Hard to win a championship with zero TDs, so it’s slightly less bitter for me than Nunn’s fumble for some reason.
We were up.

The defense could have won the game

Doesn't matter how many you score if you score more than the other team.

Good defenses dont allow alot of points thus they only had 12 at the time.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I would tend to agree and I have said for 4 decades don't overlook the te. In recent years, too many to choose from unfortunately.

Could throw in the missed 2 pt conversion orange bowl
Yup that was my first thought. How painful????? Best team in cfb history (at that time) and just so darn close. I'm no coach, but (hehehe) run the dumb ball?????

1994 Orange Bowl wide left.

More recently there are so many to chose from. How about Michigan St 62 yard punt return to tie the game with 4 minutes left after having not converted a 3rd down the entire second half.
Same game, different play: Barron Miles' inexplicable hit out of bounds that put FSU in position to kick the game winner

I have always been forgiving of aggressive penalties on the defense because you have to bring the wood and make offense scared. Sometimes it's a stripes judgment call

Big Ten Championship 2012. Same play by Wisconsin. Over and over. Pelini should have been fired on the spot. 539 yards rushing. 640 yards in total offense. I'm glad I didn't have a brick.
You don't have a big red brick?????

• Haha
Reactions: bigboxes

• 3rd & 7 at ILL 27​

That was my #1 in the past 10yrs

Penn State out of bounds 1982.
Ruud hitting Phelps so hard It looked like his head came off on kick off, only to be ruled not a fumble …..

Reactions: WC_'sker
Same game, different play: Barron Miles' inexplicable hit out of bounds that put FSU in position to kick the game winner
Same game, Fsu kicking 4 field goals including the late game winner when they had developed the reputation of "wide right" for their propensity of missing them at critical times

Reactions: leodisflowers
The ISU game a few years back. Roy Helu had two fumbles among the eight turnovers the Huskers had that day. Several of them were in the red zone when the Huskers were about to score. The killer of the bunch seemed like the Niles Paul catch down the sideline where he is running for the endzone and gets caught near the sideline at about the twenty. He miraculously keeps his feet inbounds whilst tossing the football another fifteen or twenty yards into the endzone where an ISU player fell on it. He had two or three turnovers that day. So frustrating.

A lot of good stuff posted so far…

My biggest temper tantrum in recent memory was when the refs threw the flag on Kenny Bells touchdown springing block for Jamal Turner in the Big Ten Championship game against Wisky.

At that moment I realized that the game of football as we had come to know it was over.

Every damn time our defensive ends crashed into the middle of the line on the fake handoff up the middle, allowing the qb keeper or pitch around the end for a crucial 3rd or 4th down pick up of a 1st down or touchdown, not withstanding my screaming at the tv to stay home. I swear you could count on that 2 or 3 times a game during the Riley era.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Big 12 Championship Game

For me it might be the 2009 Big 12 Championship Game debacle when they put a second back on the clock for Texas. There were so many things wrong with that play. First of all, the play doesn't end when the ball leaves flies out of bounds. It ends when the ball hits the ground or the bleachers. The scoreboard operator stops the clock after seeing the signal from an official.

so many tantrums to choose from. I'll take 4th n 24 late in Frost's first game against CU... personal foul on antonio reed I believe gave them an automatic first down. Literally the only thing you COULDN'T do in that situation we did. Kinda foreshadowed what the next 4 year have looked like. That, and about any time we've tried to punt since then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT