ADVERTISEMENT

What happens on Friday?

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
Curious as to what you all think is going to happen Friday? No, not if we will win or Lose but after the game?
Is Riley fired right after the game? Is it Sat, Sun, maybe wait till Monday? Is Frost, or another coach announced at the same time Riley is fired? Is Riley fired and nobody announced as coach yet?
Whatever happens I hope it is all done in a quick manner. I believe it will be due to the early signing period. A coach needs to get in here sooner than later.
My guess is Riley is fired Friday or Sat. Moss will say something like we have hired a search firm to find the best possible coach in the country. Then Frost will be named HC on Dec 3rd. Does anyone think Frost could be named sooner? That is of course assuming he is to be the next coach.

Curious as to what you all think is going to happen Friday? No, not if we will win or Lose but after the game?
Is Riley fired right after the game? Is it Sat, Sun, maybe wait till Monday? Is Frost, or another coach announced at the same time Riley is fired? Is Riley fired and nobody announced as coach yet?
Whatever happens I hope it is all done in a quick manner. I believe it will be due to the early signing period. A coach needs to get in here sooner than later.
My guess is Riley is fired Friday or Sat. Moss will say something like we have hired a search firm to find the best possible coach in the country. Then Frost will be named HC on Dec 3rd. Does anyone think Frost could be named sooner? That is of course assuming he is to be the next coach.
I think your last scenario is what will happen. Riley fired on Saturday and Frost announced after the 3rd. Of course, if UCF loses to USF it could be announced sooner

Does UCF play USF this weekend? If it’s Frost and UCF loses, we could hear something sooner.

If it isn’t Frost, then who knows?

I'm thinking the same way. Friday evening I'll be receiving an ESPN announcement on my phone saying that Mike Riley has been fired. I don't expect Frost to be hired before Dec. 3rd unless UCF loses to South Florida. Frost strikes me as the type of guy who looks in the best interest of his assistants, so this thing might get dragged on a bit because of that.

Does UCF play USF this weekend? If it’s Frost and UCF loses, we could hear something sooner.

If it isn’t Frost, then who knows?
Agree, forgot to mention that scenario if UCF loses. I believe Frost will be named HC by Mon. If they lose and he is not named, I would take that as a bad sign, and Frost is probably not coming to Lincoln. They have had plenty of time to work out all the contract details. If he is planning on coming it should be able to happen at anytime.

Consider this. Riley is fired Saturday because Moos is 95% sure he has Frost and Frost's agent gave a verbal. Then something happens and Frost decides not to come. None of the three or four other names Moos has in his top drawer want/can come. After the early signing period passes and we are well into January Moos panics and hires Bielema. The 2018 recruiting class is ranked 76 after the commits evaporate and Bret scrambles for pot luck. Next year is a losing season, the sellout streak ends, and Nebraska forever goes the route of Princeton, Yale, Army, Minnesota, etc. as a once great football power that is now forgotten.

Not saying it will happen, but it could. That is why I am content to sit back, watch, and hope good things happen.

Go Bulls!
Consider this. Riley is fired Saturday because Moos is 95% sure he has Frost and Frost's agent gave a verbal. Then something happens and Frost decides not to come. None of the three or four other names Moos has in his top drawer want/can come. After the early signing period passes and we are well into January Moos panics and hires Bielema. The 2018 recruiting class is ranked 76 after the commits evaporate and Bret scrambles for pot luck. Next year is a losing season, the sellout streak ends, and Nebraska forever goes the route of Princeton, Yale, Army, Minnesota, etc. as a once great football power that is now forgotten.

Not saying it will happen, but it could. That is why I am content to sit back, watch, and hope good things happen.
Anything is possible. I am fully preparing for another google hire on Monday. lol

Reactions: jeans15
Would Frost accept a position before the AAC title game? possibly. If he were to accept, Im guessing we let him coach that game, but not a bowl game. His coordinators should be doing most of the coaching/game planning anyways. Or at least be capable of doing so

Pelini was fired on Sunday, Callahan and Solich were fired on Saturday so I'll go with a Saturday official announcement.

Moos did not fire Paul Wulff until the Tuesday after their last game of the season (so 3 days later). Mike Leach's hiring was announced the very next day (Wednesday). So I'm guessing he will announce the firing as soon as he secures the official commitment from the next coach.

Pelini was fired on Sunday, Callahan and Solich were fired on Saturday so I'll go with a Saturday official announcement.
I swear I remember sitting in a hotel room in Boulder on a Friday night after the game when Solich got fired.

A whole lot of partying is going to happen on Friday after the game. Either in celebration or anticipation.

My best guess is that Riley gets fired on Saturday. I think a new coach will be announced any day after Saturday (not on the same day) right after the new coach's final game (whether it's Frost or someone else).

My best guess is that Riley gets fired on Saturday. I think a new coach will be announced any day after Saturday (not on the same day) right after the new coach's final game (whether it's Frost or someone else).

I'm going to say by December 5th, so they can bring him out at halftime of the basketball game vs Minnesota that night.

"That decision is going to be made by somebody other than me."

When he said this as he finished the PSU post-game interview, it made me think that he will not resign or retire.
If Moos tells MR's agent his client can step aside and keep the buyout or be fired and have a buyout the agent will tell MR to step aside.

The game is the most important thing on Friday. I think we will win, but that comes in another thread.
Riley will be fired on Saturday, but it will leak out on twitter or something Friday night. Everyone knows, so does it really matter?
UCF will win on Friday as well. 1 of 3 things will happen:
1) No announcement of head coach until after UCF conference title game, and it's Frost.
2) Frost named head coach at NU but will coach in conference title game (Frost worked this in during negotiations)
3) Frost named head coach on Tuesday after he talks with this players on Monday, effective immediately.

I'm really not opposed to 1 or 2, although 3 would be for the best.
Granted that it's Frost. If it isn't, a head coach will not be named until right before or right after the Conference title games and we will be waiting anyway.

Reactions: Sinomatic
I hope they don't do it same day. That's just so cold, and really no need. Riley didn't get it done, but he did give it his all, and is a class act.

I don't believe that Riley will be fired on Friday. If...If he and his staff are let go, I would expect it to be done on Saturday or Monday.

But I also think Mr. Moos will have a very good feeling about who is next, before Coach Riley is relieved of his duties.

Mr. Moos will have to have a coach nailed down or a few coaches that he is certain that he can land one of, before he lets Coach Riley go.

He isn't going to take just anyone, that is most likely to be let go in another 2-3 years.

So he has to know he can land a Big Fish.

And I have confidence he will!

Only way anything happens Friday is if MR announces a mutual separation or retirement, otherwise look for a press release on saturday and pressconference some time mid day

Isn't there a state law that requires all state positions be open for a period of time so its citizenry is given opportunity to apply?

I think even a coaching position at the flagship state institution would land under that law.

Isn't there a state law that requires all state positions be open for a period of time so its citizenry is given opportunity to apply?

I think even a coaching position at the flagship state institution would land under that law.
Virtually any rule, law, statute, etc. in state and federal government can be skirted with a waiver of some kind.

Virtually any rule, law, statute, etc. in state and federal government can be skirted with a waiver of some kind.

This has already been answered, cant remember if it was a radio show or article with a person within the administration. basically the rules dont apply equally to every position and Football trumps everything was the jist of the conversation. it has been done before without ever being posted. It is 3rd or 4th hand knowledge because of my crappy recollection of the event/conversation but i believe it to be true.

Reactions: Sinomatic
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT