ADVERTISEMENT

What Does 'It's All Politics' Actually Mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerLove1

Sophomore
Sep 22, 2018
I do not follow politics as I believe they're all crooks, only tell you what you want to hear in-order to get elected, and from that point forward their own personal agendas kick-in and they do the things that benefit them the most.

Now that my little rant is over, I'm hoping someone who actually follows politics can help me out - what does 'it's all politics' really mean? I see a ton of people saying politics are the reason we aren't playing B10 football this, but I don't understand that position. If these politicians are making decisions based-on 'politics', wouldn't it make more sense to side with the majority and back the playing of fall sports? If I'm looking to use my current position as a springboard to the next gig, the last thing I'm going to do is make myself extremely unpopular and hated.

And thank you in-advance for the educational lesson.

I do not follow politics as I believe they're all crooks, only tell you what you want to hear in-order to get elected, and from that point forward their own personal agendas kick-in and they do the things that benefit them the most.

Now that my little rant is over, I'm hoping someone who actually follows politics can help me out - what does 'it's all politics' really mean? I see a ton of people saying politics are the reason we aren't playing B10 football this, but I don't understand that position. If these politicians are making decisions based-on 'politics', wouldn't it make more sense to side with the majority and back the playing of fall sports? If I'm looking to use my current position as a springboard to the next gig, the last thing I'm going to do is make myself extremely unpopular and hated.

It means they don’t like the decision and can’t think of any other rebuttal usually.

You're obviously referencing Warren. I dont think it's political for him. I do think he is afraid, a poor decision maker and leader. He was given the chance to lead this conference and he's come up short. Not because he opposed fall sports, but because he is weak in the defense of it.

Theres a saying in sales that I think has merit here. A confused mind says no. That's the safe play.

In this case, it's "never let a crisis go to waste", as people from all political persuasions have been caught saying.

However, I don't think it applies to our situation. I think a hyper overreaction to a potential legal threat has some people pulling the strings here.

Most people don't burn down their own house over a rat infestation. But that's what this conference has managed to do.

You're obviously referencing Warren. I dont think it's political for him. I do think he is afraid, a poor decision maker and leader. He was given the chance to lead this conference and he's come up short. Not because he opposed fall sports, but because he is weak in the defense of it.

Theres a saying in sales that I think has merit here. A confused mind says no. That's the safe play.
I'm referring to more than just Warren.

How about the governor from Michigan who is banning all fall sports in the state? All the comments I've read from that say 'this is all political'.

It means that every decision is looked at as to how the choice made helps some, harms some and which of those groups of people are like minded with you to see if it’s a good decision or not. Facts that support are pushed forward and those that don’t help are pushed back.

it means that there isn’t a topic too small for such a decision making process and that for people who really think this way, it’s a zero sum game existence. For them to win, they have to have someone else lose.

it’s not limited to any single ideology or political group, but some do certainty like to view the world in this way as their default lifestyle. Had a friend say this summer that it this mindset is for people who are only happy when others are sad or hurt.

looking forward to seeing others thoughts.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I'm referring to more than just Warren.

How about the governor from Michigan who is banning all fall sports in the state? All the comments I've read from that say 'this is all political'.

My sister lives in Eau Claire WI. The city has two covid cases. The county health director shut down all sports for the city. It was her decision alone. She wants 0 cases. EC is a blue county. She's a dem and has the support of their leftist governor. The 5 other teams in the conference are having school and sports. They are in red counties. Yes, it's all political.

It is political based on the fact that decisions made are generally falling in line with the prevailing ideology of the state. Those that believe there needs to be lockdowns and closed schools go one way, those that believe in opening the economy and getting kids back in school go the other. When you have leagues that span 1500 miles east to west, you are going to have a mixture.

Reactions: c3o and OzzyLvr
It means that every decision is looked at as to how the choice made helps some, harms some and which of those groups of people are like minded with you to see if it’s a good decision or not. Facts that support are pushed forward and those that don’t help are pushed back.

it means that there isn’t a topic too small for such a decision making process and that for people who really think this way, it’s a zero sum game existence. For them to win, they have to have someone else lose.

it’s not limited to any single ideology or political group, but some do certainty like to view the world in this way as their default lifestyle. Had a friend say this summer that it this mindset is for people who are only happy when others are sad or hurt.

So in your example (as it relates to B10 football), who are the 'happy' and who are the 'sad/hurt'? And how are the 'happy' benefiting from going against the grain and/or popular opinion??

Politics in this context is synonymous with corruption. Nothing really to do with republican vs Democrat.

Why is it safe for 30k + Michigan undergrads to be on campus do what college kids do, but unsafe for athletes to play football.

Why does Kevin Warren say it’s unsafe to play football, but he is letting his child play. That reminds me of a Hollywood elitist telling us we can’t drive trucks due to global warming, then immediately getting into their private plane.

Hi OP!!

I can't believe it's post #14 and it hasn't been said.

Of course, I'm referring to something that rhymes with #DoorhingeFanSad

In !!

Take a look a the last election map. Most of the places that voted blue are not playing football this fall. i.e. Big Ten and Pac 12. But the areas that voted Red are...Big XII, SEC, ACC... Now think of the progressive leaning reputation that most higher education places have. A lot of these university presidents arent as engaged in the athletics side as Nebraska's. If it were truely based on data and science, all of the university presidents that voted not to have football would have also closed their campuses...that didnt happen, they need the room and board revenue. Its all political theater and its sad. At this point i could really care less. I just would like some consistency. If no sports, then dont let anyone be on your campus. Dont send conflicting messages. And make your damn vote and position transparent.

There are more issues involved than simply the safety of the student athletes, which is what they will cite when cancelling the season. So, yes, I believe there are politics at play like: fear of future lawsuits, fear of losing medical research dollars, fear of player unionization. However, I do not believe this anything at all to do with the Presidential election and, unfortunately, that is what so many people think of when they hear "politics" and that nonsense really derails every discussion.

It's not political. It's just old white men and women telling young, mostly black men what they can and can't do with their bodies. Tale as old as time.

This is just my opinion. I think the powers that be in the democratic party want nothing more in this life than to get Trump out. They will kill, riot, destory lives, crash economies and do anything else legal and not to ensure he does not win reelection. Most elections are won and lost based on what the economy is doing. Trumps economy has been way too good. They needed a way to tank the economy, get people pissed off, angry, depressed, hopeless, and fearful. They need people to feel like their only option for things to be better is to vote Trump out.
Enter COVID 19. I don't believe it was created or intentionally released. I think it is legit and very contagious. I don't think it is any more scary or deadly than the flu. Many docs, nurses, and data is also suggesting the same thing. However the dems saw a golden opportunity to blow this up, lock things down and tank the economy. They George Floyd came along and they seized another opportunity to cause havoc and create panic and fear in the american people. Tie the looting, riots, fear and civil unrest with unemployment, uncertainty, depression and fear from the "deadly" virus and it is a perfect recipe to make people fearful and long for change.
Sorry took the long way around. Now as far as the question how are the playing politics with football? The same way they are with the virus and george floyd situation. College football is a multi billion dollar industry. It affects millions of people lives. You shut down football it just adds to the frustration, fear, anger, anxiety in this country. Just another piece to the puzzle. You think it is a coincident the PAC12 and the BIG10 are the only ones who have canceled to this point? Many of those states located within those conferences are democratic ran or typically vote democrat. I

There are more issues involved than simply the safety of the student athletes, which is what they will cite when cancelling the season. So, yes, I believe there are politics at play like: fear of future lawsuits, fear of losing medical research dollars, fear of player unionization. However, I do not believe this anything at all to do with the Presidential election and, unfortunately, that is what so many people think of when they hear "politics" and that nonsense really derails every discussion.
Exactly. It's a reason given by simple minded people.

Reactions: headcard
#notfollowing
orange.jpg

Reactions: OzzyLvr
So in your example (as it relates to B10 football), who are the 'happy' and who are the 'sad/hurt'? And how are the 'happy' benefiting from going against the grain and/or popular opinion??

Those who see no athletics as a good thing and can make that happen, have chosen to be happy by stopping fall sports. Do you think those making the decision to end fall sports care about public opinion?

Does warren in the case of the B1G? Do those in places like OPS care when the superintendent for example said we could have sports or school and not both. Then turned around made sports in the fall off and pushed everyone to remote learning. Do you believe they care about public opinion or exercising their control. It’s not a hard process to see. Sometimes the people that exercise the power we agree with and so we don’t see the problem and other times we disagree and it becomes the major issue in life.

3 blue B1G states have already banned tackle football, by law, for kids:

https://brainlaw.com/youth-tackle-football/

that happened in 2018. oh, and california did the exact same thing, going so far as to regulate number of practices allowed for full contact football.

https://www.kcra.com/article/califo...les-law-limit-full-contact-practices/28583081

this has nothing to do with COVID and everything to do with chick-think attacks on young males doing what is in their nature to do.

surprise, surprise: CA's law goes into effect Jan 1, 2021, or exactly when we're hoping a spring season will commence. shocker.

libs hate football and all it stands for.

Last edited:

Donald Trump won in 2016. And MAGA And after He Showed Up the king Obama and his court jesters! they unleashed their hounds and the Whirl Winds of hell direct Quote from Chucks Schumer. And now our commish of the Big 10 thinks it’s our civic duty to jump in the Clown Car like good little clowns. And Not Play Ball. Oh yeah the Democrats have gone Crazy too See 2020!

Unfortunately, everything nowadays is about politics. It is what happens when a federal government designed to provide defense, coin money, run a post office, settle interstate disputes, and leave everything else to the several states grows to govern: seat belts, airbags, toilets, faucets, drapes, carpet, ladders, paint, speed limits, glass, ponds, fabric, pillows, blinds, food labels, education, fireworks, drugs, investment accounts, wages, airports, hunting, fishing, fireworks, banking, windows, doors, workplaces, and on and on.

Interestingly enough, while nosing into thousands of areas the framers never intended, two items specifically authorized as responsibilities of the federal government, the Post Office and post roads (highways that cross state lines) are in shambles.

Donald Trump won in 2016. And MAGA And after He Showed Up the king Obama and his court jesters! they unleashed their hounds and the Whirl Winds of hell direct Quote from Chucks Schumer. And now our commish of the Big 10 thinks it’s our civic duty to jump in the Clown Car like good little clowns. And Not Play Ball. Oh yeah the Democrats have gone Crazy too See 2020!
Yeah, that's what I said #DoorHingeFanSad

A friend of mine has a theory that I find interesting. Now I don’t necessarily agree with this 100% it does make a bit of sense. (BTW He’s an accountant)

It’s his view that there are 3 classes of people. The poor, the middle class and the super-rich. Further he feels that the super-rich tries to band together with the poor in order to gain power so they can influence tax policy. Tax policies that almost always support the poor at mostly the middle classes expense and leave some tax loop-holes for the super-rich. He feels that it doesn’t matter if they are D or R in this power struggle, only the economic status and who can provide the power to influence tax policy. He say’s if you start viewing all these things though this perspective, a lot of things make sense.

Things like why so many billionaires support redistribution policies that most of the poor would support.

Why so many billionaires support bigger government and more regulation. This will favor big businesses and make it harder for small to medium size businesses to compete.

He says, you can become rich in business if you work hard. But you must be in bed with government to become and stay super-rich.

Take it for would it’s worth, as you didn’t spend a cent on it. :)

This is just my opinion. I think the powers that be in the democratic party want nothing more in this life than to get Trump out. They will kill, riot, destory lives, crash economies and do anything else legal and not to ensure he does not win reelection. Most elections are won and lost based on what the economy is doing. Trumps economy has been way too good. They needed a way to tank the economy, get people pissed off, angry, depressed, hopeless, and fearful. They need people to feel like their only option for things to be better is to vote Trump out.
Enter COVID 19. I don't believe it was created or intentionally released. I think it is legit and very contagious. I don't think it is any more scary or deadly than the flu. Many docs, nurses, and data is also suggesting the same thing. However the dems saw a golden opportunity to blow this up, lock things down and tank the economy. They George Floyd came along and they seized another opportunity to cause havoc and create panic and fear in the american people. Tie the looting, riots, fear and civil unrest with unemployment, uncertainty, depression and fear from the "deadly" virus and it is a perfect recipe to make people fearful and long for change.
Sorry took the long way around. Now as far as the question how are the playing politics with football? The same way they are with the virus and george floyd situation. College football is a multi billion dollar industry. It affects millions of people lives. You shut down football it just adds to the frustration, fear, anger, anxiety in this country. Just another piece to the puzzle. You think it is a coincident the PAC12 and the BIG10 are the only ones who have canceled to this point? Many of those states located within those conferences are democratic ran or typically vote democrat. I
You know why you're wrong? Because if the Democratic party had the ability to organize on such a level they never would have lost to Trump in the first place.

With this B10 decision, "it's all politics" means to me that B10 academics are mostly liberal Democrats and are taking cues from Democrats in their statehouses and nationally. The opposite circumstances exist at many of the ACC, B12, and SEC institutions.

With this B10 decision, "it's all politics" means to me that B10 academics are mostly liberal Democrats and are taking cues from Democrats in their statehouses and nationally. The opposite circumstances exist at many of the ACC, B12, and SEC institutions.
I would say that covers it pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT