ADVERTISEMENT

What defines a successful season for Nebraska?

How many wins defines a "successful season" ?

• 4-8

• 5-7

• 6-6

• 7-5

• 8-4

• 9-3

• 10-2

• 11-1

• 12-0

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 7, 2012
Rivals is doing a series of B1G articles asking the publishers of each site what defines a successful season. There's quite the debate going on the RSS after Sean responded with 6 wins. Thoughts?

Edit: 7+ wins for me to feel there is true progress.

Rivals is doing a series of B1G articles asking the publishers of each site what defines a successful season. There's quite the debate going on the RSS after Sean responded with 6 wins. Thoughts?

Edit: 7+ wins for me to feel there is true progress.

I am in the 8-4 camp and also expect the offense to look more like what we hoped for with the hire (37+ PPG). We did that in the last 7 games of 2018 (all one score games) when we had Farmer, Foster, Zig and Morgan. I personally think the offensive roster in 2021 is better than that and includes at least 3-4 future pros.

Coaches are in fourth full year with a spring and full fall camp. Most of the players that matter are in at least third year of college and almost all have been in the program for at least two years (Toure and Irvin the exceptions). O-line has been rebuilt and has high end athletes starting (Avg. RR of 5.76 assuming Sichtermann starts). Top 5 WR averaging 5.8 RR plus a pro prospect in Toure replace the two Walk-ons that started in 2020. RB room with three 4 stars and two 5.7 RR 3 stars.

Defense returning 9 starters on a unit that improved each of last three years and should be a top 1/3rd of league.

I currently believe in this staff and think a vast majority of the issues were roster talent relative to competition and growing pains for a young staff doing a major rebuild in a conference with very established coaching. However, If they are not able to take the talent accumulated and field a good football team in 2021 then why would things be any better in 2022 or beyond as I don't see talent jumping much if any from this point unless they start winning.

If they do find a way to go 8-4 in 2021 and look good on offense i think you will see expectations soar for 2022 and you will see recruiting and the transfer market jump to the next level. So much on the line for this staff, the program and fans as a whole. Win in 2021 and we can begin to enjoy football again for first time in 8-9 years. Lose again this year and I think a coaching change in 2022 and the mass exodus that would occur are inevitable. Probably won't be competitive again in best case scenario until 2025. While its fine to question coaching, any true fan should be rooting like hell for Frost an this staff as the alternative to success flat our sucks.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Looking like a competent football team that beats inferior teams and is competitive against better teams. Doesn't lead the nation in fumbles and have penalties that completely derail any built up momentum. If they do that no reason they shouldn't be an 8-4 team and I would say that is a successful season.
Exactly! NU keeps pissing games away against lame ass teams.

The problem will always be the definition of successful season. I don’t think a watered down definition of successful season makes it a successful season. 6-8 wins is progress not success. That’s just me.

I would define success as seeing the program move in a direction that leads a reasonable person to believe Frost could eventually win Big Ten championships at Nebraska.

If 8-4 included an offense scoring 38+ a game with the new talent and 4 one score losses to OU, OSU, Michigan and Wisconsin, I would feel like 2021 was a success and there would be big expectations for 2022.

If we go 8-4, make two many mistakes and get blown out by OU, Ohio State and Wisconsin I would consider it a failure.

Record is only a piece of the equation.

For me, for this to feel like a success I want it to look & feel like Oklahoma did in 1999 when Stoops took over... they Won 7 games that year. I remember getting that feeling that they were a different team and you could see their future success displayed on the field that year... low and behold DONU got hammered by them the following year! so.... 7 Wins with the "Here comes a different team" feeling...

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
getting Haarberg meaningful reps this season will set us up for actual success

2021 will be a wash, Frost will survive no matter what, and we'll say the exact same thing about 2022 (it's a big year!), except we'll actually have a reason to be optimistic (no more AM!)

The problem will always be the definition of successful season. I don’t think a watered down definition of successful season makes it a successful season. 6-8 wins is progress not success. That’s just me.
base case expectations is 8-9 wins. Successful would be >= 9 wins.

base case expectations is 8-9 wins. Successful would be >= 9 wins.
Maybe. A successful season to me is different than what I would be happy with. If that makes sense. In 2021, I would be happy with 7 wins and competitive games, I don't think 7 wins should be considered a successful season at Nebraska. Again this is just me, a successful season for Nebraska football is winning the west and playing in a NY6 Bowl game. Winning the bowl is a bonus. Whether that is 9 wins or 14 wins is inconsequential.

If they clean up the QB play to where they are no longer a turn over machine and pound the rock, I see no reason for anything under 8 wins. If #2 continues his lack luster performance of giving the ball away, it will be les than 5 wins...

Reactions: BleedRed78
Turnovers are a direct result of defenses being better than offenses. If a team gives up way more than they get, it shows they have both a weak offense and a weak defense as it compares to its competitors.

I would define success as seeing the program move in a direction that leads a reasonable person to believe Frost could eventually win Big Ten championships at Nebraska.

If 8-4 included an offense scoring 38+ a game with the new talent and 4 one score losses to OU, OSU, Michigan and Wisconsin, I would feel like 2021 was a success and there would be big expectations for 2022.

If we go 8-4, make two many mistakes and get blown out by OU, Ohio State and Wisconsin I would consider it a failure.

Record is only a piece of the equation.
Scotty would be working up to achieving a Bo Pelini level of success.

Agreed.
Precise definition of success is needed.
Progress would be good to see, but to call it successful would basically mean the fans are satisfied with it.
It can be successful progress while still considered an unsuccessful season for Nebraska football.

Reactions: scarletred
Successful is all relative anymore with our program. Personally, I'd simply like us to get bowl eligible.

Our schedule is tough, especially for us. We are a collective 4-15 against teams we play in the B10 this year with Frost as coach. The last 5 games on our schedule this year, we are 2-12 against them under Frost.

The opener is critical. We need to beat an Illinois team that we shat the bed against last year.

4-1 heading into the Northwestern game would be nice, but great starts to seasons haven't been a thing for us in a long while either.

5-7 is my honest prediction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT