ADVERTISEMENT

What Bothers You the Most About the Troy Loss?

Here is my two cents. Against Colorado, Frost had the QB and the fan support to run his game mostly how he wanted. Against Troy, he had a QB with much less running ability. I suspect he got extra gun shy on Bunch's ability to run and chuck it down the field, which would have opened up the run game of the actual guys taking the handoffs and the guys blocking for them.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I am of the belief that if he would have chucked a few down the field and a lot more ten yards down the field, it would have opened up the field a lot more. I am not a real coach. I don't know shit in fact. I could be wrong.

Is it the name of the school itself, Troy University? Is it they are from the Sun Belt Conference? Or is the manner in which it occurred, penalties/TO's, etc.?

Personally, I think a fair number of people forgot this team went into Baton Rouge last season and came out with a W. Fast forward a year, LSU is fine and the same will eventually be true with NU.
Low football IQ play continues.

I think what worries me the most with the loss to Troy and being 0-2 and the Akron game being cancelled is the fact and I could be wrong but it seems to me that we have no momentum in recruiting. I know it's only September but the early signing period is only a few short months away.

qb play, followed close by the oline

Honestly, those 2 things didn't bother me nearly as much as the special teams or the dumb penalties.

Bunch played well enough to win (some early jitters and threw the ball into coverage too much, but par for the course for a less talented, first time on the field QB), and the OL was facing an attacking defensive front that had no penalties for attacking at will for the most part.

Reactions: TheOutline
What bothers me most about the Troy loss? Living in Iowa City.
What bothers me most about the Colorado loss? Having too many friends who are CU fans. And living in Iowa City.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Fans actually thinking this team was going to be good. Hell, UCF two years ago was a pretty bad team. Frost said multiple times it would take 18 months to really start to get the momentum going...2 winters with Duval and another fall camp and you would see true change. Fans had all the data necessary to know this would be a rough year...Colorado was always a toss up, Troy would have wasted us last year so there was no reason to believe we would beat them this year. And then the road schedule would be killer. Our depth issues would be exploited, including the fact ALL scholarship qbs from last year left the team. This is like probation crap...self-imposed Mike Riley sanctions...hire Mike Riley and in 3 years you will have the softest team in the country and no scholarship qbs....

I am pretty sure there were 3 scholarship QBs on the roster in January and a 4th redshirting. Blame Riley all you want for being soft, but the QB situation isn't on him.

I am pretty sure there were 3 scholarship QBs on the roster in January and a 4th redshirting. Blame Riley all you want for being soft, but the QB situation isn't on him.

when you change coaches there are switching costs, it's part of the reason you don't want to make coaching selection mistakes. Problem was bringing in Riley in the first place for a scheme and coach that wasn't a good fit. I'm happy to take that hit for this year to move in the right direction.

Honestly, those 2 things didn't bother me nearly as much as the special teams or the dumb penalties.

Bunch played well enough to win (some early jitters and threw the ball into coverage too much, but par for the course for a less talented, first time on the field QB), and the OL was facing an attacking defensive front that had no penalties for attacking at will for the most part.
I think the defence can cover better and clean up the penalties and get 3 and out more, but they played well enough to win the last 2 games if the offense could not strip the momentum with turn overs, penalties, and 3 and outs. just don't turn the ball over, what ever you do.they put the defense in a bind ever since Martinez went down.
frost needs to work on getting competent qb's, asap.

This team's woes on 3rd and long are what continue to eat at me. Statistically, we're not a bad 3rd down defense, but we are just awful on third and long. It showed up against Colorado 3 times and against Troy...

Late in this one, when we absolutely had to have a stop, we put Troy into 3 consecutive 3rd and 9s. They converted every one of them on their way to the 'nail in the coffin' touchdown.

I'll give them one of them. A perfectly thrown (on the run while rolling right) ball into pretty good coverage (Reed). The other two...not so much.

It's in these moments where I see that we haven't made the leap. We revert to last year (and the year before...). We're not 'taking our shots' as the coaching staff is trying to preach. In these high pressure moments, we revert to passivity - bust an assignment - whatever.

Infuriating!

Reactions: 9and4
when you change coaches there are switching costs, it's part of the reason you don't want to make coaching selection mistakes. Problem was bringing in Riley in the first place for a scheme and coach that wasn't a good fit. I'm happy to take that hit for this year to move in the right direction.

Not the point. He was trying to blame Riley for there not being any scholarship QBs on the roster. There were twice as many as there are now in January. If, when you change coaches, there are costs, shouldn't the incoming coach take that into consideration?

If he wants to blame Riley for the team being soft or whatever, I could agree with that. The lack of QBs, that doesn't fall on him.

Reactions: jlb321
What bothers me most is Troy looked more athletic, bigger and faster than us. All that talk about strength and conditioning, that our players would be much bigger and faster was all talk but there's no substance behind it. It's going to take more than one offseason to make significant improvements in strength and conditioning. Talk about an immediate turnaround in this area was pure bluster.

Reactions: DaddyBoi
Not the point. He was trying to blame Riley for there not being any scholarship QBs on the roster. There were twice as many as there are now in January. If, when you change coaches, there are costs, shouldn't the incoming coach take that into consideration?

If he wants to blame Riley for the team being soft or whatever, I could agree with that. The lack of QBs, that doesn't fall on him.

Agree. I guess you can only rehash so much but I think Frost and staff are getting too much of a pass for the current QB situation. We arguably have the worst QB situation of any power 5 school as a result of how the QB competition was handled, and we are 0-2 as a direct result of this. All the other concerns (special teams, turnovers, penalties, strength and conditioning, etc) are valid, but I would rather be addressing these issues sitting at 2-0 vs 0-2.

I have no doubt based on what Martinez did in the CU game that he was the better player. However, from all reports, it was a close competition throughout all of fall camp and I maintain that you have no idea how a player, especially at QB, will react until you see them in a real game.

The failure to secure a reasonable 2 deep at the QB position has quite possible flushed this entire season unless we can somehow salvage a bowl birth.

They either needed a grad transfer who could compete for the job or they needed to go into the first game with an "OR" on the depth chart at QB.

Sometimes a coaching decision can cost you a first down or even worse a game. The decisions leading to our current situation at QB may have cost us an entire season.

Last edited:
Yes, it's the name. We should never lose to a team with the name of a dude.
giphy.gif

That is an easy question to answer. For me, by far, a certain segment of our fan base that I wish would go away and pull for a different team. Whiny, moaning, hysterical, the-sky-is-falling, poor-excuse-for-a-fan people.

ADVERTISEMENT