ADVERTISEMENT

What Bothers You the Most About the Troy Loss?

Sep 18, 2018
SEA
Is it the name of the school itself, Troy University? Is it they are from the Sun Belt Conference? Or is the manner in which it occurred, penalties/TO's, etc.?

Personally, I think a fair number of people forgot this team went into Baton Rouge last season and came out with a W. Fast forward a year, LSU is fine and the same will eventually be true with NU.

Nothing after seeing other teams lose.

We are just unlucky right now.

Keep plugging...This season is about the future and gaining experience in this system.

The poo-pooing fans who are pissing and moaning after 2 games. I mean, I am absolutely puzzled as to who raised them. I know it's the 5-10% of our fanbase, but we need to immediately drop the BS sense of entitlement. We have a long way to go and a guy who knows how to get it done.

Is it the name of the school itself, Troy University? Is it they are from the Sun Belt Conference? Or is the manner in which it occurred, penalties/TO's, etc.?

Personally, I think a fair number of people forgot this team went into Baton Rouge last season and came out with a W. Fast forward a year, LSU is fine and the same will eventually be true with NU.
The thing that bothers me the most is that it was very winnable. You change ONE play and we win the game. You change 2 or 3 plays or penalties and the game isn't even close. It was another "shoulda been" game just like last week. IMO, Frost will get it fixed by the end of the year and we won't be beating ourselves.

The score.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112

For me, the fact that we can't put together a complete game without out all of the boneheaded mistakes. No team is perfect of course, but we can't quit shooting ourselves in the foot. Add to that the fact we have teams on the rope and can't put them away, (3rd and 15, 3rd and 24). We give up the big play, or the penalty, or the turnover, or special teams give up a big play. Frustrating.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
In many instances, especially against a non-P5 school, players will step up, knowing that the back up is in the game, and do more. That didn't happen.

Think it's a bit of a trend with this group. The same exact thing happened the week before.

True freshman QB playing in his first ever college game against CU in front of 90,000. And a lot of our upperclassmen, guys who have been around, guys who are capable of making plays -- just crapped the bed.

This team has to learn how to win. It's a trait needed every bit as badly as any of the other blocking / tackling / scheme fundamentals.

I think it ties to some of the comments in Frost's post game presser, and some of the player comments this week on buying in.

To come up with a specific concern, I'll say that I was disappointed that we couldn't exploit what they were doing on defense. It seemed like they were begging us to beat them on the edges or mid/deep, and we couldn't do it. It's unlikely that were going to line up and smash many teams successfully, so I hope we find a way get the ball to Morgan, Spielman, etc.

tenor.gif

Reactions: 9and4
The thing that bothers me the most is that it was very winnable. You change ONE play and we win the game. You change 2 or 3 plays or penalties and the game isn't even close. It was another "shoulda been" game just like last week. IMO, Frost will get it fixed by the end of the year and we won't be beating ourselves.
Many games are decided by 2 or 3 plays, Colorado won by 5 but is easily could have been 11if their kicker hadn't pulled a groin. If Martinez hadn't got hurt we might have won, maybe not Colorado's defense made half time adjustments and were doing a better job stopping the offense. This could be a long season, Frost took over a train wreck.

Nobody fixing Bunchies messed shoulder pads before the final interception. How many times do you see a qb have to make a throw when his right shoulder pad is vertical. Shows the team is not really aware of how to play the game...nor look out for each other.

Reactions: mmunso7
Two weeks in a row.

Nobody fixing Bunchies messed shoulder pads before the final interception. How many times do you see a qb have to make a throw when his right shoulder pad is vertical. Shows the team is not really aware of how to play the game...nor look out for each other.
I was saying the same thing... it definitely affected his throwing motion!

Reactions: mmunso7
Jacob Callier (#44 for Colorado) bothers me the most. We win against Troy easily if we roll in with a healthy Adrian Martinez.

Lost a lot of games in a row and the players still talk smack on the field when they make a play. Seen it in both of the games this year.
This is widespread and rampant among all levels of football. It is so comical to see a player making a wild spectacle after making a an otherwise ordinary tackle. THAT'S YOUR JOB !!

What bugged me is it felt like a major regression from the Colorado game in that we were getting dominated at the LOS.

That said, I think these players need another year in Duvals system. You can only do so much during the spring, Not to mention, Frost recruits in Martinez and Washington already look incredibly promising

Reactions: HeupelsThirdChin
What bugged me is it felt like a major regression from the Colorado game in that we were getting dominated at the LOS.

That said, I think these players need another year in Duvals system. You can only do so much during the spring, Not to mention, Frost recruits in Martinez and Washington already look incredibly promising

So it was strength and conditioning that was the difference between Colorado and Troy and not scheme?

I am not sure I would buy that.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
The running of the ball during our last series bothered me quite a bit. It seems like Frost may really have a problem with clock management. Against Colorado we should have been draining the clock by waiting until a second or two was on the play clock. Conversely we should have been conserving clock by passing down the field during our last series.

We were completely opposite of what we needed in both instances. Should have slowed way down against CU and sped way up against Troy and passed down the field.

Of course our lack of being able to open holes against Troy was disconcerting, but they were filling the box up pretty well. Needed to pass even more.

Reactions: TFrazier
Jacob Callier (#44 for Colorado) bothers me the most. We win against Troy easily if we roll in with a healthy Adrian Martinez.

Yeah, that SOB skated because the f'ing PAC-12 didn't want to hurt CU's chances in the non-con. Still complete BS!!

Taking a step backwards. Frost preached all off season about moving forward. Getting better one game to the next. We didn't

So it was strength and conditioning that was the difference between Colorado and Troy and not scheme?

I am not sure I would buy that.

You’re not wrong, but I would argue that they need better S&C to achieve the better scheme.

What I mean to say is that the Colorado game looked like a Scott Frost team that lost due to some mistakes and bad breaks, whereas the Troy game looked like a Mike Riley team that got pushed around and lost due to lack of physicality.

Reactions: HeupelsThirdChin
You’re not wrong, but I would argue that they need better S&C to achieve the better scheme.

What I mean to say is that the Colorado game looked like a Scott Frost team that lost due to some mistakes and bad breaks, whereas the Troy game looked like a Mike Riley team that got pushed around and lost due to lack of physicality.

I guess. What I was talking about though was Troy’s game plan, not necessarily Nebraska’s scheme.

Fans actually thinking this team was going to be good. Hell, UCF two years ago was a pretty bad team. Frost said multiple times it would take 18 months to really start to get the momentum going...2 winters with Duval and another fall camp and you would see true change. Fans had all the data necessary to know this would be a rough year...Colorado was always a toss up, Troy would have wasted us last year so there was no reason to believe we would beat them this year. And then the road schedule would be killer. Our depth issues would be exploited, including the fact ALL scholarship qbs from last year left the team. This is like probation crap...self-imposed Mike Riley sanctions...hire Mike Riley and in 3 years you will have the softest team in the country and no scholarship qbs....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT