ADVERTISEMENT

What are your thoughts on joining the SEC, yay or nay?

Sep 6, 2013
Vol in Scotland here. First let me say, that I always admired NU as I see a lot of similarities between our programs. We naturally have a much harder time than a Texas or Florida due to a lack of homegrown talent.

Digressing, now the question I propose, assuming the current landscape stays as is where, the SEC plays and the B10 doesn't...

Would you be open to leaving the B10 permanently for the SEC if the invite gets extended?

Personally, I think NU brings a lot to that table, and think you would be a better fit culturally with us as opposed to the B10, as odd as that might sound initially.

Was just curious this early afternoon, so thought I would ask.

BTW, I think the SEC would be ok at staying at an odd 15 schools for the short-term if it meant a school of the prestige as NU was willing to join. Plus, I think our Commish would love to stick it to the B10 as well...

I’ve always liked Tennessee amongst the SEC teams for pretty much the same reasons you laid out. That said, I don’t see the SEC as a better cultural fit and all the travel would be a problem. Crazy realignment times are ahead for all of us and who knows how it all shakes out in the end.

The SEC would be interesting. Truthfully, if we leave this conference I’d like to go back to the Big 12 (realizing that isn’t a popular opinion). I miss a lot of things about that league- recruiting Texas, and away games that are a closer drive for our fans.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Not sure. But, really, regardless of what happens over the next couple months, the SEC is going to stick it to the BIG.

In a big way.

From revenue -- to cherry picking the top transfers leaving the BIG so they can play football -- to widening the gap even further on recruiting (can you imagine how easy it is to recruit against a conference not playing football with no communicated plan, timeline, or structure to resume) -- to keeping the rest of their programs afloat.

Big 12 makes way more sense... I also think that our team wouldn’t stand a fighters chance competing with an SEC schedule.

Leaving the B1G for any other conference is a pipedream at best. Remember the B1G owns all the Nebraska media rights to prevent conference jumping so that's impractical and a non-starter.

Reactions: Flick2.0
Leaving the B1G for any other conference is a pipedream at best. Remember the B1G owns all the Nebraska media rights to prevent conference jumping so that's impractical and a non-starter.
Im curious if those media contracts could be fought against by the broadcast companies.
Should Nebraska play, stations are going to want to air it. The B1G technically isnt holding up their end of the contract bargain.

Might as well face it, in the most probable scenario, Nebraska won't be playing a competitive football game again until Fall 2021. A Spring season is just being thrown out there to partially mollify the fans. It's not practical coming so close to Fall 2021. So the most you can look forward to right now is a Red-White Spring Game.

Reactions: v1nufan
Might as well face it, in the most probable scenario, Nebraska won't be playing a competitive football game again until Fall 2021. A Spring season is just being thrown out there to partially mollify the fans. It's not practical coming so close to Fall 2021. So the most you can look forward to right now is a Red-White Spring Game.

I can't wait to see who shows flashes.

The spring game hall of fame team is elite.

Im curious if those media contracts could be fought against by the broadcast companies.
Should Nebraska play, stations are going to want to air it. The B1G technically isnt holding up their end of the contract bargain.
Probably....but nothing that would be settled anytime in the next month...at least not without some hefty financial penalties that would be part of any out of court settlement.

If practice contact is limited, and a 6-8 game season is played in the spring, coupled with a later start in 2021, it's doable....and that's coming from Kirk Herbstreit.

HS kids in these parts play their first game on 3 weeks of practice. No reason a college team can't. Sure, it might be a little ugly, but probably no worse than a typical spring game.

If practice contact is limited, and a 6-8 game season is played in the spring, coupled with a later start in 2021, it's doable....and that's coming from Kirk Herbstreit.

HS kids in these parts play their first game on 3 weeks of practice. No reason a college team can't. Sure, it might be a little ugly, but probably no worse than a typical spring game.
Why would it be more safe in the spring than it is now? Is the 'rona going away? Will the Myocarditis scare disipate?

Why would it be more safe in the spring than it is now? Is the 'rona going away? Will the Myocarditis scare disipate?

Fauci initially pointed to a twelve to eighteen months timeline for a rushed vaccine. The President fired up Operation Warp Speed to hopefully have something out in that timeline if not a little sooner. The administration has been repeatedly pointing hope in that timeline.

The nation more or less has it baked into the national conscious now that spring will be better. I think there's a good chance that is a rug that's pulled out from folks but they won't change that mindset until it happens and the Administration has to set a new expectation.

Reactions: CheeseRunza
Fauci initially pointed to a twelve to eighteen months timeline for a rushed vaccine. The President fired up Operation Warp Speed to hopefully have something out in that timeline if not a little sooner. The administration has been repeatedly pointing hope in that timeline.

The nation more or less has it baked into the national conscious now that spring will be better. I think there's a good chance that is a rug that's pulled out from folks but they won't change that mindset until it happens and the Administration has to set a new expectation.
I agree, and even if the vaccine is safe and ready, 18-22 year olds won't be the ones that are rushed to the front of the line to receive it, meaning they would still potentially be at risk, although that risk would hopefully be lower assuming that vaccine is working towards herd immunity.

It may not be safe then.....but that's not the argument I was addressing. I took the argument to be referring to logistics and the potential physical toll of 2 seasons in 9-10 months.

Yeah....if COVID-related conditions are as they are now, and we don't know any more than we do now, and/or there's no vaccine, then I'd agree that we're not playing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT