ADVERTISEMENT

What are you most curious about for this year's spring practice?

zamzman

Senior
Jul 1, 2004
I'm most interested in what kind of offense we'll have. Will the QB be under center? Still running spread plays or more power/pro-style? And how Tommy and the rest of the QBs handle the new offense.

Originally posted by zamzman:

I'm most interested in what kind of offense we'll have. Will the QB be under center? Still running spread plays or more power/pro-style? And how Tommy and the rest of the QBs handle the new offense.
^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Offense: Which QB takes hold of the Offense? What RB takes the reigns? How does the O-Line shape up?

Defense: Who wins that other corner and safety spot? How are the RS Frosh D-Linemen?

It's all style of offense. They don't do enough on D in a Spring Game to make that very intriguing. I'll be curious about what the more "attacking style" looks like when we're a few games into the season. I want to see some QBs throwing UNDER DURESS and some INTs start happening.

Has to be offense. We know they like to throw more than we traditionally do, but also know they are intrigued by the athletes at QB we have. Also know that Stanton was on Riley's wish list at OSU, so he must have had some sort of QB run game plans previously.

Interesting to see how Riley melds all those situations together.

I'm most excited to see the offense line up and execute. Will we huddle? How many WR's in base sets? Single back, full back? Line splits? TE's in tight, out wide? Cripes, there's a ton to consider. On defense are we looking at base man coverage, more zone, or a healthy mix? Will we utilize multiple personnel packages? How often will we blitz? Any 3-4 alignments?

It occurs to me that few if any of these questions will be answered in the Spring Game. But I don't care! I'm excited!

Well under any circumstances; they will be giving the current TE's a real work out. They will want TE's catching at least 4-5 passes a game ( not a season ) IMO. Even if its a frosh, someone needs to step up. If TA masters this pass; with his ability to throw long - he could be a killer ( also a fake to a TE and a bootleg ).

Which running backs can catch the ball and run most effectively, assuming a retooled offense. Will any of the true freshman be expected to be ready to play come fall.

Originally posted by bootleg11:
Offense: Which QB takes hold of the Offense? What RB takes the reigns? How does the O-Line shape up?

Defense: Who wins that other corner and safety spot? How are the RS Frosh D-Linemen?
Predictions:

QB- Nothing will be decided and every QB will be given even reps.
RB - Wilbon and Newby will impress. Taylor will still be slowed by injury recovery.

CB- Chris Jones
Safety- LeRoy Alexander is the best player on the team. The only way he doesn't earn that job is if he's in trouble again.

OLine - I don't have a prediction here, but I'm intrigued by the possibilities of DJ Foster and Farmer earning starting spots. Will it happen? Probably not in the Spring, but its worth debating.

I'm excited to see the direction of the offense. Granted nothing will be set in stone after spring ball, but it will just be good to see some pad popping in April. I really just hope everyone buys in and if not, they can find a new home next fall.

Originally posted by sparky62:
Originally posted by zamzman:

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
Personally I just want to know if the scarlets will be "suiting up" for the spring game.

Defensive players/coaches talking about changes to defensive scheme....I'm so sick of watching Pelini-Ball I'm desperate for something else, anything else. I also want to see evidence that the defense has been simplified to the point we can get kids like Newby on the field.

I want to see how much cracking of the whip will be happening.
This group better be working their tail off.

Having watched the NY Giants practice, I was amazed at how well the practice was orchestrated. The speed and timing of the passing drills was amazing. Every QB and WR getting the same amount of reps and very little down time when switching from one drill to the next. It'll be interesting to see if this is how Langsdorf runs the QB drills and how well all the QB's will benefit from all the reps.

So many good comments above. I guess I have some questions for comment on the following:

*** At OSU HCMR and maybe hundreds of fans to entertain and about 75 players to utilize. The only direct comments I can recall, he is aware many want it as a game and he would look at doing that since we have so many additional players.
*** I believe he will take his tips from the Athletic Department and the various staffs there, including the AD and recruiting.
*** If qb's get all the reps Hudson talks about ; qb recruiting will come more easily : as well as other positions seeing this. IMO , the Spring game should be competitive to see who our gamers are, and to let many experience the game experience ( could be treasured by some who never start, but give so much) . Little risk of injury; great player development and other benefits.
** Newby seemed much more together last year, hoping for another jump. Several others have killer potential; Cross has moves and should spell some at least to beat up the D _ and he had the longest run from scrimmage last year , per one article. AA was an AA, but we can still be very good at rb; and HCMR will probably use them better.
** We had more D recruits; I think they like the QB's and receivers on campus> I think they should; Reilly can get burst or lateral separation with his speed; a sleeper all conference level guy on key plays. We could have 3 receivers play at an all C level.
** TE's, I think you throw in the freshmen and the kitchen sink in the spring. Beck wanted it to happen; te's grabbing 5+ a game, I don't know if he was reeled in; or just happened ( lack of ___ ).
** The theme of all these D coaches is for playmakers. Fundamentals ; then be a game changer. We won't want to show a lot in Spring Film, but the aggression should start to show. You shake opponents up and swing momentum quickly with game changers on both sides of the ball. We have them; just have to coach them to it. Cool our new DB coach is such a teacher - and with his N ties / friends in coaching : is so excited by the Blackshirt tradition.
** HCMR - Your lines are gold. Gets it, big relief.
*** As writers and posters here have brought up , new coaches finding 4 scholarship lb's in the cupboard - a fail from the previous regime - but probably going to see the biggest coaching upgrade here overall , new coach will get the most out of all and some great recruits can learn on the fly.

ADVERTISEMENT