ADVERTISEMENT

What about NU Hoops?

Husker4real

Senior
Nov 25, 2017
Has anything been said about basketball? Will they start on time and have OOC games in November and December?

I remember saying in the board last March after all of the basketball tournaments were canceled that I was afraid NU Hoops would be the next time we got to see “Huskers” play.

Sometimes my keen insight is a curse.....

Has anything been said about basketball? Will they start on time and have OOC games in November and December?

I remember saying in the board last March after all of the basketball tournaments were canceled that I was afraid NU Hoops would be the next time we got to see “Huskers” play.

Sometimes my keen insight is a curse.....
If I am correct, there was discussion of not playing any games until after the first of the year because most campuses were ending the first semester at Thanksgiving and there would be no students on campus.

Unlikely that play starts before Jan 1, but that decision will be made by the oversight committee rather than on a conference-by-conference basis. Probably will know by mid-September.

Going to predict that any possible “in season “ hoops competition won’t happen til 2021 . Again, likely a hybrid season proposed. NCAA prez suggesting support for tourney but up to conferences to produce a bubble of some type if I read that right. IMO, if 2 straight years with no men’s tourney it will financially crush whatever schools are left that haven’t already gutted its athletic departments.

I have some Iowa buddies that feel they could win the B1G and be in the final 4 this year and if they cancel Basketball they’ll be livid over Kevin Warren and the B1G..

Reactions: v1nufan
Creighton is the one I am worried about. I know the Big East is talking bubble. Its easier to do than football for obvious reasons. Plus with the semester ending before Thanksgiving they are basically in a bubble anyway.

If NU hoops are cancelled, that is what you call a mercy killing. If Creighton's season is cancelled, that would royally suck for them because they would have done some damage and after (insert best players name this year here) leaves they will drop off a cliff so I hope the season isn't cancelled.

Creighton is the one I am worried about. I know the Big East is talking bubble. Its easier to do than football for obvious reasons. Plus with the semester ending before Thanksgiving they are basically in a bubble anyway.
The Big East is smart to explore the bubble idea. Basketball is its cash cow and they have a terrific TV contract. Preserving that is every bit as important to those schools' athletic departments as football is to the Power 5.

Hope they make it happen. The quality of Big East basketball varies year to year, but I enjoy watching it.

Reactions: saluno22
I'm a season ticket holder, they did send something out a while back saying they were delaying doing any invoices for season tickets; but other than that, there's been nothing. I doubt we'll see anything much this year, but who knows?

I have some Iowa buddies that feel they could win the B1G and be in the final 4 this year and if they cancel Basketball they’ll be livid over Kevin Warren and the B1G..

I was shocked yesterday to see they are tied for 2nd in the betting lines for winning it all this upcoming season. I don’t see it.

Hey, maybe they could win a National Championship trophy to go with their football trophies. (NOT)

OSU coach Chris Holtmann said yesterday on the Russillo show that he believes they'll have basketball and they'll start on time.

every coach is on a weekly conference call reviewing prior week test results and protocols. he said Tom Izzo and Matt Painter were leading the charge of openness and unity, as they obviously want to play.

here's a link, pretty good interview and peek behind the scenes: Listen Here

You can bet they'll have basketball because the NCAA, unlike football, is solely funded by the NCAA tournament. I believe the P12 has shut down basketball until January first, which has to make their members furious.

I'd like to point out this is probably the most posts we have had that mentioned Creighton without someone chiming in with the obligatory "F Crayton"

Actually many pundits like their chances, now that Garza returns.... but they forget one thing...
Fran returns as well

I'd like to point out this is probably the most posts we have had that mentioned Creighton without someone chiming in with the obligatory "F Crayton"

F_ck Crayton ;)

edited: Honestly, Iowa wouldnt have made it very far. They would have choked, like usual. I don’t think they would have won the BIG 10, MSU would have something to say about that, let alone make it to the sweet 16 or Final 4.

Last edited:
OSU coach Chris Holtmann said yesterday on the Russillo show that he believes they'll have basketball and they'll start on time.

every coach is on a weekly conference call reviewing prior week test results and protocols. he said Tom Izzo and Matt Painter were leading the charge of openness and unity, as they obviously want to play.

here's a link, pretty good interview and peek behind the scenes: Listen Here

My kid is a student athlete in the Big East and I can promise you that every effort will be made to get a full schedule played. They are under insane protocols right now. Multiple tests, mandatory quarantines, etc Most athletes are taking all of their classes online to reduce the amount of interaction with the rest of the student body. Take into consideration that they have always roomed athletes with athletes. As said before, this is the cash cow for that league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT