ADVERTISEMENT

What’s up with the run game?

BugsAreQualityProtein

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 14, 2021
Watching the past three games it doesn’t seem like the OL understands their assignments or they are being completely outmuscled. The offense runs zone blocking, which isn’t as complicated as it sounds. The lineman just has to know if they are uncovered or covered. If they are covered it essentially turns into man blocking. If they’re not they just keep to the play side and they may help out with a double team or work up to the second level to take on a linebacker.

Maybe it’s the way the run plays are being called? I’ve noticed the team has had much more success running outside run plays than inside. I always thought zone blocking teams liked to start out with outside runs to lure the defense to flow towards the sideline. Then the offense exploits this over commitment by having the running back cut to the inside.

Anyway that’s my two cents. Anybody else have any insight into this?

It's the technique Scott Frost wants the OL to use. There is ability in those guys to be a hell of a lot better. He wants his OL to shield block and their first technique is to step back and not drive block like Army and Wisconsin does.

Watch Minnesota and Iowa what they have their OL do with zone blocking.

Frost's cocky arrogance is keeping him from making adjustments.

Michigan State went from a bad running game to averaging over 7 yards a rush with their running backs in one frucking off-season and Frost is in season 4 and still not making adjustments.

It seems obvious that they don't know their assignments as they didn't know how to handle a 4 man front against Illinois. Very poorly coached.

The center should have come to the line, counted to either 3 or 4 and instructed the rest of the line what their blocking assignments are. This was obviously not taught in fall camp.

I don’t think it is a physical thing. We’ve had 4 years of strength and conditioning and many former players and analysts agree these guys look big and ready to match up against other B1G Teams.

It must be the muscles in their brains. Also, the O-line coach is not getting it done. Hasn’t got it done 4 years running!

Just frustrating all around. The team hasn’t had a consistent running attack since pelini. The last back that I would call a feature back was Ozigbo. That’s about the only guy in the Frost era, and he wasn’t even a Frost recruit. It’s sad to think that Frost’s first year as head coach was arguably his best.

Just frustrating all around. The team hasn’t had a consistent running attack since pelini. The last back that I would call a feature back was Ozigbo. That’s about the only guy in the Frost era, and he wasn’t even a Frost recruit. It’s sad to think that Frost’s first year as head coach was arguably his best.
They players were fresh off being taught by Riley's staff, as sad as this sounds.

frost has them pass blocking on their heels..
this isn't milt's ground and pound run blocking...

and with no threat from martinez's arm, the defense can blitz all day with no harm.

Well, this must be rocket science. I frankly don't know what the blocking philosophy is, but it is obvious, at least to me, what is going on.

Problems are both mental and physical. How can we allow guys to come free right up the middle? There are communications issues up front first of all. Their technique with their hands is to strike and recoil and wait. I believe Milt taught to strike and stay engaged keeping the arms straight and locked. That's where all the pancake blocks came from. We seem to hit and then let the D decide the next move, by this time they find an angle to get around us. Contact by the tackles is way late in the back peddle it seems to me but I am not an O line guru.

Our footwork is horrible. We simply do not take the right steps to cut off angles of the D. When you block head up, the D can go either way, the O line needs to cut him off when possible with a nice step to the run side.

Does anyone think we are seeing a lot less pulling going on? Our ability to block at the second level is killing us. Lbs have a field day against us. Note the 30 tackles from Fordham MLB.

Well, this must be rocket science. I frankly don't know what the blocking philosophy is, but it is obvious, at least to me, what is going on.

Problems are both mental and physical. How can we allow guys to come free right up the middle? There are communications issues up front first of all. Their technique with their hands is to strike and recoil and wait. I believe Milt taught to strike and stay engaged keeping the arms straight and locked. That's where all the pancake blocks came from. We seem to hit and then let the D decide the next move, by this time they find an angle to get around us. Contact by the tackles is way late in the back peddle it seems to me but I am not an O line guru.

Our footwork is horrible. We simply do not take the right steps to cut off angles of the D. When you block head up, the D can go either way, the O line needs to cut him off when possible with a nice step to the run side.

Does anyone think we are seeing a lot less pulling going on? Our ability to block at the second level is killing us. Lbs have a field day against us. Note the 30 tackles from Fordham MLB.
I think that big Martinez run last week is a prime example of what your talking about. That LB was completely free running up the middle. Somehow Martinez made a big play out of all the chaos, But man do I cringe seeing those types of plays even if they are positive. It’s like backyard football.

I think that big Martinez run last week is a prime example of what your talking about. That LB was completely free running up the middle. Somehow Martinez made a big play out of all the chaos, But man do I cringe seeing those types of plays even if they are positive. It’s like backyard football.
The last thing I want to see is a wide open middle of the field on D. It makes lots of options available for the O. There are several ways you get it or leave it open.

Spread out and a blitz that is unsuccessful, you are giving up big yards with leaving the middle open. I cringe when teams go empty set and we go two deep safeties and man up, our middle is wide open and we get burned with the QB running up the middle or we get beat on a crossing pattern. On D, we have done both.

It will be interesting to see what OU does against us. I suspect you will continue to see the under crossing patterns over the middle. We will have to blitz to get pressure on Rattler and could make for some big plays for them if we don't get there.

ADVERTISEMENT