ADVERTISEMENT

What’s the difference between Nebraska and Bama?

I would say the difference between the 2 programs at this time is about this much...hopefully that changes. Winking

5d9d2373f0c84.image.jpg

0a942aab073cbef7f0302f9011245c68.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: CT-NUred
multiple people are saying that we can’t get the athletes that other programs get because we are in the middle of nowhere. Army and Navy are storied programs too. That doesn’t mean jack to 15-18 year olds that barely remember Nebraska having Bo Pelini as their coach. Think about it, a 16 year old was 10 when Pelini was fired. And 3 when Pelini was hired. So they basically know Bo Pelini and losing football at Nebraska. Now take into account Clemson has basically no history outside of 1 title in the early 80’s, but from the time these kids can remember football Dabo’s boys have been playing for and winning titles. Hell Iowa St has more cache to the current recruits, than Nebraska right now. The only schools envious of Nebraska right now are lower level programs. What does Nebraska have going for it that other P5 don’t have? Money? Nope Facilities? Nope. Outside of some ancient history to 15-19 year olds, we are just every other mid to low level P5 program.

winning has to happen thi

I agree with this. We can all live in the past all we want but that is just a sign we are old and means nothing in the present. The term Blue Blood is rapidly fading, whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

I would take what Tuco said a step further. I have said on her numerous times, the success of the Huskers rested solely on the shoulders of one Tom Osborne. He was on Bob's staff and had a tremendous influence even at the early stage of his career. He didn't stay stagnant with the game, going from a passing team to one that overpowered opponents. But more than that, he had an incredible mind for the game, players, and coaches. A totally unassuming person who would not demand immediate attention except by anyone with an ounce of football IQ. He knew and understood the game, his coaches, his players and the fans and was continually improving every aspect of each players development both physically and mentally.

Yes, we may win some games someday but it we ever want to get to that consistent success, the entire package needs to be in place. To be certain, it is a rate individual who has all of this. We all saw it and experienced it, I graduated in 72 so I remember the "glory days" and when the program turned the corner. Someday we will find that special person to run this program. Is is Frost? I have no idea, there is a huge learning curve and he is finding himself smack dab in the middle of it. There are only three ways to go from here.

I agree with this. We can all live in the past all we want but that is just a sign we are old and means nothing in the present. The term Blue Blood is rapidly fading, whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

I would take what Tuco said a step further. I have said on her numerous times, the success of the Huskers rested solely on the shoulders of one Tom Osborne. He was on Bob's staff and had a tremendous influence even at the early stage of his career. He didn't stay stagnant with the game, going from a passing team to one that overpowered opponents. But more than that, he had an incredible mind for the game, players, and coaches. A totally unassuming person who would not demand immediate attention except by anyone with an ounce of football IQ. He knew and understood the game, his coaches, his players and the fans and was continually improving every aspect of each players development both physically and mentally.

Yes, we may win some games someday but it we ever want to get to that consistent success, the entire package needs to be in place. To be certain, it is a rate individual who has all of this. We all saw it and experienced it, I graduated in 72 so I remember the "glory days" and when the program turned the corner. Someday we will find that special person to run this program. Is is Frost? I have no idea, there is a huge learning curve and he is finding himself smack dab in the middle of it. There are only three ways to go from here.
If after 3 years and you say “ I don’t know if Frost is the answer” you probably have your answer.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
I've felt for a while that college football is cyclical and I do think Nebraska can get back to being a power. It's different from how it was in the 90's and that kind of dominance won't happen again with the playoff and how recruiting is now but I think competing for conference championships and being in playoff conversations is realistic. Where the program is now the expectations need be tempered and much lower than people would probably like but I think that can change.

When I started watching college football Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and the current powers were far from what they are today and the Florida schools, Nebraska, Tennessee and a few others were the teams that ruled the sport. It seems like a pipe dream now but if you have the resources in college sports you can dig yourself out of some deep holes it'll just take time and you have to get the right people in place.
It's cyclical because of coaching changes. If you don't change coaches, you'll just continue to get the same results. Coaches impact everything in college football.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
He could manage it against teams we should beat. Better teams destroyed NU on his watch and that has stayed the same.

His recruiting and retention shortcomings set the stage for snowballing failure after his tenure.

But hey, he sure used his time at LSU to show us how wrong we were to let him go...
This is a stupid argument. Riley and Frost got destroyed by good teams AND they lost to a bunch of scrubs. We got blown out a few times by good teams during the Pelini era, so what? He always put respectable teams together with very few off the field issues.

Cable tv and all the sports networks changed the landscape of college football. From which Nebraska will not recover from. Especially with this dog sh*t coaching staff.

Fifteen years ago or so when Bama was struggling in the Mike Shula era the media was saying similar things about Bama that they are saying about Nebraska.

I firmly believe expectations should not be lowered in Lincoln. National Championship or Bust.

Well that's a pretty easy question to answer: the headcoach!

Alabama hires ex NFL coaches to be assistants, and we don't. That might have something to do with the difference.
We don’t hire ex NFL coaches because they don’t want nothing to do with NU right now. Why would they?

This thread is a perfect example of the apathy within the fan base. “We have huge disadvantages”. “Everyone else is closer to recruits” now there is Covid excuse.

Funny I can look at Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St and see them recruiting and signing kids from warm weather states. As mentioned above, Oregon does too. Rutgers under Schiano will hit Florida hard and sign players, like he did before.
almost 50% of the population of the United States is within 500 miles of Columbus, Ohio.
35% of U.S. population is withing 500 miles of State College PA.
30% of the U.S. population is within 500 miles of Ann Arbor MI.
15% of the U.S. population is with 500 miles of Lincoln, NE.
23% of the U.S. population is within 500 miles of Tuscaloosa, AL, but it is some of the most fertile recruiting region in the country.

Reactions: artguy68
almost 50% of the population of the United States is within 500 miles of Columbus, Ohio.
35% of U.S. population is withing 500 miles of State College PA.
30% of the U.S. population is within 500 miles of Ann Arbor MI.
15% of the U.S. population is with 500 miles of Lincoln, NE.
23% of the U.S. population is within 500 miles of Tuscaloosa, AL, but it is some of the most fertile recruiting region in the country.

what is the percentage within 500 miles of Boise, ID, Eugene OR, Madison WI? For that matter what about Chapel Hill, NC or Clemson, SC

I’m sure you can pick and choose cities and say they recruit well because of population then pick a few more and say they recruit well because of “fertile recruiting regions”

population means some but not all. New York City is the largest city in the country, so by your standard Rutgers, UConn and Syracuse should be top 5 in recruiting every year. Boston College and UMass should be dominating as well with all of the inner city football factories in these areas. (Sarcasm)

Why don’t all the teams in the “fertile recruiting regions” help provide some parity within conferences? Why does Georgia do well but Ga Tech is routinely below average? Clemson and South Carolina share a state, in theory they have the same population within 500 miles and the same “fertile recruiting region”. How about ole Miss and Miss St. why are those teams so inconsistent? Starkville is less than 100 miles from Tuscaloosa and Oxford is 130 miles?

Then take into account, in the post you replied to, I wrote that Penn St, Michigan, Ohio St all recruit and sign kids from “warm weather states”. So the population within their 500 mile radius was never my point.

Ohio States 500 mile radius includes the entire eastern seaboard, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, the Northern half of Georgia, as well as the northern half of Alabama, and the northeast corner of Mississippi.

Our 500 mile Radius barely includes the cities of Chicago, St. Louis, and Denver.

Since it has been reported here by numerous recruiting experts on multiple occasions, that the key to recruiting is to get the bulk of your players in the 500 mile radius, which makes sense because that distance can be driven in a day. Which radius is more valuable.

I am not saying that we cannot have success again like we've had in the past. I think there are advantages here as well, like the fan support and the incredible amount of money that is poured into this program by such a small state. But the farther we get from the turn of the century without being competitive, the harder our disadvantages will be to overcome.

Ohio States 500 mile radius includes the entire eastern seaboard, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, the Northern half of Georgia, as well as the northern half of Alabama, and the northeast corner of Mississippi.

Our 500 mile Radius barely includes the cities of Chicago, St. Louis, and Denver.

Since it has been reported here by numerous recruiting experts on multiple occasions, that the key to recruiting is to get the bulk of your players in the 500 mile radius, which makes sense because that distance can be driven in a day. Which radius is more valuable.

I am not saying that we cannot have success again like we've had in the past. I think there are advantages here as well, like the fan support and the incredible amount of money that is poured into this program by such a small state. But the farther we get from the turn of the century without being competitive, the harder our disadvantages will be to overcome.

But you replied to me and my post about those schools I mentioned. I am telling you all of them are further away from Texas and Louisiana and all of the schools I mentioned are at least 1000 miles from central Florida, yet they can recruit those areas and bring in guys like Dobbins, Okudah at Ohio St, Parker Washington at Penn St Noah Cain who went to school in Denton Texas before going to IMG. Michigan went into Texas and beat out Nebraska for Chuck Filiaga, even though he didn't pan out, he was a top 150 player coming out of high school and chose Michigan. They have a several top players from California and Florida, some who didn't pan out but they were still highly rated coming out of high school. Oregon used to live in Texas under Kelly and Helfrich. They still kill it in California, and Eugene to LA is almost 1000 miles. Hell they came to Kansas City and took a player right out of our backyard in Dontae Manning.

My point is that we are getting used to making excuses for why things don't go our way. We do it in recruiting, we do it every freaking week when we bitch about officiating, and all year long when we complain about ESPN not "liking" us and Herbstreit said this about Nebraska. The Big Ten hates us, look at the schedule, blah blah blah.

Back in the day only a few games were on television. Now every game is and that helped level the field. Nebraska was one of the few regularly televised teams. It had the biggest rivalry in college football at that time...........Oklahoma. It has lost that. I have been to Lincoln. It's not nice there. There is more to do in Morgantown, WV and that is saying a lot. In this modern era Nebraska is a have not. Sorry just telling you the truth. Remember Colorado under McCartney? That will never happen there again as well.

Back in the day only a few games were on television. Now every game is and that helped level the field. Nebraska was one of the few regularly televised teams. It had the biggest rivalry in college football at that time...........Oklahoma. It has lost that. I have been to Lincoln. It's not nice there. There is more to do in Morgantown, WV and that is saying a lot. In this modern era Nebraska is a have not. Sorry just telling you the truth. Remember Colorado under McCartney? That will never happen there again as well.

by more to do in Morgantown, are you including burning the porch and yard couches?

Considering 1 of 38 people will be a victim of violent or property crime, does murder or assault/ battery included in the "more to do in Morgantown?

We all know that winning, and winning many games and beating the OSU's and other B1G top teams will take care of a lot of ills. Until that happens, it's business (bad) as usual in Lincoln.
Fire Moos. Let him ride off into the sunset. Get an AD who will light a fire into these coaches

When I was looking at UNO as a destination to extend my young hockey career I started watching more sports programing from the US. The major networks bled through to Canadian cities within close proximity of the US border. I remember seeing that huge red Nebraska hat on the mascot and thought "WOW"! This was mid 90's when we were pounding the crap outta teams. Nebraska seemed to be on national TV every week. It wasn't my deciding factor but it sure made a difference in my thoughts about moving away from home to another country. The first time I went to a game at Memorial was mind blowing. I'd never seen that many fans at any game in any sport. The atmosphere was electric and this was 3 hours before game time. I know almost every game is on TV nowadays but we've still got a story to tell recruits. With the right guy in charge it will attract them. So far Scott hasnt done that. I hate it because I was a huge fan of his when he played. He's just not getting it done as the coach though.

When I was looking at UNO as a destination to extend my young hockey career I started watching more sports programing from the US. The major networks bled through to Canadian cities within close proximity of the US border. I remember seeing that huge red Nebraska hat on the mascot and thought "WOW"! This was mid 90's when we were pounding the crap outta teams. Nebraska seemed to be on national TV every week. It wasn't my deciding factor but it sure made a difference in my thoughts about moving away from home to another country. The first time I went to a game at Memorial was mind blowing. I'd never seen that many fans at any game in any sport. The atmosphere was electric and this was 3 hours before game time. I know almost every game is on TV nowadays but we've still got a story to tell recruits. With the right guy in charge it will attract them. So far Scott hasnt done that. I hate it because I was a huge fan of his when he played. He's just not getting it done as the coach though.
Nobody will. You just don't get it. You are a 5-7 win team most years from here on. WVU used to win 9-10 in the Big East. Now we are playing real competition. We are going to put up similar records as well.

Fifteen years ago or so when Bama was struggling in the Mike Shula era the media was saying similar things about Bama that they are saying about Nebraska.

I firmly believe expectations should not be lowered in Lincoln. National Championship or Bust.
More teeth?

Prior to Saban Nebraska was just as good of a program as Alabama from a historical standpoint.

Nebraska’s history and tradition is as rich as any program in the NCAA.
Problem is it’s been 20 years since we were relavent in college football .

He at bottom so maybe 2 ways to go from here? 🤣

Problem is it’s been 20 years since we were relavent in college football .

every single blue blood program has played in a new years 6 (major bowl) bowl game in the last 5 years except Neb who hasn't played in a major bowl in 20 years

images

Last edited:
every single blue blood program has played in a new years 6 (major bowl) bowl game in the last 5 years except Neb who hasn't played in a major bowl in 20 years

images
It’s interesting how it’s mentioned that other blue bloods fall on hard times . Oklahoma and Alabama are often referenced. Yet one needs to look at how long most of these down times lasted for these teams versus what’s going on st Nebraska . They also recovered ( this is key) and we haven’t , I for one am really concerned that we won’t .

To me if within the next 2 years we don’t have a few breakout performances, meaning we beat a team like Oklahoma or Ohio State that we will not reverse this course , and the new norm will be 4 to 6 wins a year.

Reactions: jlb321
It’s interesting how it’s mentioned that other blue bloods fall on hard times . Oklahoma and Alabama are often referenced. Yet one needs to look at how long most of these down times lasted for these teams versus what’s going on st Nebraska . They also recovered ( this is key) and we haven’t , I for one am really concerned that we won’t .

To me if within the next 2 years we don’t have a few breakout performances, meaning we beat a team like Oklahoma or Ohio State that we will not reverse this course , and the new norm will be 4 to 6 wins a year.
Not sure you can jump straight from getting humiliated by Illinois at home, to beating a national powerhouse in 2 years. I'd be content taking it to the 4th quarter with either team and losing in a hard fought battle right now. Figure out how to win that one over the next 2 years after that I think is more rational.

Well now Nebraska has an Osborne disciple running the show in Scott Frost.

Is "disciple" correct? He played for T.O., but are there any similarities between his team/program and T.O.'s?

The Nebraska football team today is much closer to a poor man's version of Oregon than to anything T.O. ran.

Reactions: WV Bruno
This is a stupid argument. Riley and Frost got destroyed by good teams AND they lost to a bunch of scrubs. We got blown out a few times by good teams during the Pelini era, so what? He always put respectable teams together with very few off the field issues.
Yet, you guys hated him.

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT