ADVERTISEMENT

What’s Nebraska’s Peak/realistic expectation?

ahabmw

Dec 2, 2006
UCF fan here (I know you hate me already but I’m not trying to pour salt on the wound).

Im curious about a few things in light of y’all’s journey.

1. Is the B1G a bad fit? Tons of money and stability is the reason to be a part of it, but seems to have put y’all in a position of constant mediocrity. You could have been number 2 to Oklahoma if you stayed in Big 12, but I don’t think any reasonable person would have gone that route.

2. What’s your expectation 10 years from now? Is it NC or bust, or are winning seasons alright?

I’ll hang up and listen and good luck on your next coach!

Culturally Nebraska has as much in common with Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, rural Illinois, and rural Indiana as Kansas, Colorado, and Oklahoma. It has as little in common with Pennsylvania as Texas. What's the difference?

Had Tom Osborne remained at Nebraska five more years, he very likely would have had shots at the national championship in 1999, 2000, and 2001. No one would be talking about the big mistake of staying or going anywhere.

The Big XII promoted the Texas-Oklahoma rivalry as its marquis matchup. The attempt to make Nebraska-Colorado a second big rivalry fizzled out, but not because of anything Texas or Oklahoma did.

The Big XII didn't force Nebraska to make a buddy hire of Frank Solich over Mack Brown. They didn't force the revolving door of mediocre coaches that followed. No edict came from on high to change to a West Coast office, and then a zone read, and then whatever the hell we are now.

Nebraska's problems are self-inflicted. If Nebraska had one three of the last four Big Ten Championships no one would be wondering if it was a bad fit. Winning cures all. We just have to start doing it again.

Just play smart, fundamental football, run the ball, play good special teams, etc, and make bowl games. That's all that is really asked.

The fanbase has learned the hard lessons of firing two 9 win coaches over the last 20 years and that isn't going to happen again. But we need someone that can even get to 9 wins now.

3-9 with wins against Fordham and Buffalo and maybe one other team. We lose to either Fordham or Buffalo and 3 wins becomes a long stretch...

UCF fan here (I know you hate me already but I’m not trying to pour salt on the wound).

1. Is the B1G a bad fit? Tons of money and stability is the reason to be a part of it, but seems to have put y’all in a position of constant mediocrity. You could have been number 2 to Oklahoma if you stayed in Big 12, but I don’t think any reasonable person would have gone that route.

2. What’s your expectation 10 years from now? Is it NC or bust, or are winning seasons alright?

Question for you a few years on...

does the fan base see Frost’s success at UCF as his coaching or Milton’s overall talent?

Catch lightning in a bottle and win the West once a decade. Not the BIG, just the West. Win the big every 25 years. We’re at 22 without a conference title.

Catch lightning in a bottle and win the West once a decade. Not the BIG, just the West. Win the big every 25 years. We’re at 22 without a conference title.
There's no reason we can't be the premier program in the West. Wisconsin has no inherent advantages over us as a program, especially now that the HS talent in Nebraska is starting to improve. Shouldn't have to catch lightning in a bottle to win the division.

With that said, we should expect to win the West at a minimum three times a decade. And since the thread is asking for our peak, I think our peak is to win it about half the time. Give yourself three to five shots at the Buckeyes every decade and we can expect to win the conference in one of them.

Reactions: headcard
The B1G is a terrible fit for Nebraska and is a huge part of our problems.

I think Nebraska should consistently compete for the division and play in solid Bowl games. A competent coach could easily provide Pelini like results without the blowouts and public embarrassments and have job security for life.

Reactions: K_Y_E

9 wins per season average.
40% division titles
15% big 10 titles
1 NC per decade
that should be the realistic goal, with some acceptance it maybe a bit less, due to today's more competitive nature in college football, more teams into strength and conditioning/facilities.

as things stand now, with expansion percentages could change.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT