ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Will Bolt as the new Nebraska Baseball Coach!

Not sure how much stock to put in this. Jeff Christy was a volunteer assistant the last two years at A&M. Again, pretty underwhelming.

Somewhere in a high Chilean desert HTO is smiling.

Bolts contract
5 years worth $300,000 a year according to LJS

Can not confirm the assistant coaching hires...
Have to admit they are a little puzzling.
Makes you wonder what the budget is for the assistants???

D1baseball mentions that Nebraska did contact Pat Casey.
I'm sure the price tag was much higher than 300k.

I'm good with Bolt as HC with a proven pitching coach, but underwhelming doesn't begin to describe bringing in two volunteers to be on his staff.
Did I hear correctly that Jeff Christy will be hired as the pitching coach? :confused:

Went and watched Michigan in the opening round of the CWS.
It was a nice cold shower after 11 days of wet dreams.
I am extremely excited for the future of Husker Baseball.
Really like Harvell's bio. Let's see what Christy has learned from Childress.
Coach Bolt was groomed to take this job. Just didn't know it'd be now.
Not saying it will completely click together right away, but the future is here.
My concern is with the players, making sure they know they are still in very good hands. All their goals and dreams are still there for them, even more so.
So when they do read our little musings (because they do) they don't start over thinking the situation too much. Most the players that have responded to the hiring, has so far been positive. And it should be!
I highly recommend anyone that has not heard it yet, to go archive the first hour of the Friday, June 14 edition of Sports Nightly (Huskers.com - multimedia) and their interview with Coach Bolt. It's the interview that all the recent articles were quoted from. My favorite part was hearing how Bolt was watching this Husker team on his phone, before the job even opened up.
Will Bolt bleeds scarlet red.
I believe he and his staff will do their best for us.
Excited to see the first look of the new Will Bolt era this Fall :Cool:

Went and watched Michigan in the opening round of the CWS.
It was a nice cold shower after 11 days of wet dreams.
I am extremely excited for the future of Husker Baseball.
Really like Harvell's bio. Let's see what Christy has learned from Childress.
Coach Bolt was groomed to take this job. Just didn't know it'd be now.
Not saying it will completely click together right away, but the future is here.
My concern is with the players, making sure they know they are still in very good hands. All their goals and dreams are still there for them, even more so.
So when they do read our little musings (because they do) they don't start over thinking the situation too much. Most the players that have responded to the hiring, has so far been positive. And it should be!
I highly recommend anyone that has not heard it yet, to go archive the first hour of the Friday, June 14 edition of Sports Nightly (Huskers.com - multimedia) and their interview with Coach Bolt. It's the interview that all the recent articles were quoted from. My favorite part was hearing how Bolt was watching this Husker team on his phone, before the job even opened up.
Will Bolt bleeds scarlet red.
I believe he and his staff will do their best for us.
Excited to see the first look of the new Will Bolt era this Fall :Cool:
He's a good hire. Moos set himself up for failure on this one when he outlined the criteria and gave everyone false expectations IMO. Maybe he thought he had Childress in the bag at that point, but most, if not all would have been happy with Boldt until Moos made those initial statements about what he wanted in our next HC. Anything other than a proven HC coming here was destined to be a bit of a let down after that for many fans.

I too like Harvell's bio and have no issue with Christy coming as an assistant, but not as a pitching coach. I just dont like a first time HC coming in with a first time pitching coach who also wasn't a pitcher himself. But what the hell do I know. I was initially excited by Silva's initial hire but thought his pitching staffs were average.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211805566

It's official
Harvell and Christy round out the staff.
It's the guys Coach Bolt knows and trusts. I'm good with that.
Harvell seems like a perfect fit. Bolt really has confidence in Christy's abilities.
Believe Coach Bolts press conference is tomorrow (Thurs.)
Anxious to hear more from the new head coach, and possibly the rest of the staff.
Hoping the players, or their families are being contacted. Make sure everyone's happy.
Just a couple of weeks ago, I was excited for the future of Husker Baseball.
Now I'm ready to turn it up a notch.

I can just hope I am wrong but I am very underwhelmed by all the hires. Not sure what there is to be excited about at all. This group may be very successful and I am hopeful that happens but there is no indications saying they will be!

I can just hope I am wrong but I am very underwhelmed by all the hires. Not sure what there is to be excited about at all. This group may be very successful and I am hopeful that happens but there is no indications saying they will be!
My feelings too. It's great that Bolt is excited to be back at Nebraska, and he should be given enough time to prove himself, but his hire was underwhelming and the assistant hires even more so. You can come up with all the positive comments about him in the world from other coaches, but I'll take real experience over that, and there just isn't much of that in this staff. I always try to look at coaching hires from the standpoint of what an outsider sees-they're not wowed by a former player coming back. I just don't think other teams are suddenly more concerned about us than they were before. Bolt could turn out to be a great hire and I really hope he does, because I don't think we're doing this again for awhile. But for now, I think we really missed an opportunity by going with a "safe choice".

I don't believe Childress's ego would let him come back to the B1G.
No matter how much money you threw at him, "at this time".
So I don't see a missed opportunity.
Plus I still don't see how paying for Childress and A&M's new high dollar coach at the same time, via the buyout, is even an opportunity for us.
Bad timing.
Now maybe if grumpy A&M fans get their way, and let's say Rob's contract doesn't get renewed in 2021(???), then there might be an opportunity.
But Moos seems to want to have the baseball program compete (money wise) within the conference, not nationally. I don't have a problem with that, because with the continuing success of Big Ten baseball, then coaching salaries will become even more competitive nationally.

Now even I admit, I'm not wowed by Michigan's new Basketball hire, a former Fab 5 player. But at the same time, that shows that Nebraska is not the only place that goes crazy for a worthy legacy candidate. There's many other examples.

But the part of other B1G teams not being wowed or scared of our hire...
Well, we are talking about a crappy baseball conference that had a Big XII team come join them to play ball, and they're still trying to kick our teeth out to this day. So I'm not sure you're going to scare anybody in the B1G with a big name hire. Big names got big money, they can afford some more teeth after they get kicked out. Winking So maybe coming in a little under the radar (underwhelming), kinda like Indiana's new coach last year, is the way to go.

I always support the people that sincerely want to be here.
Will Bolt answered the phone and came home.
Jeff Christy answered the phone and came home.
You could say others did not. Nothing against them. Still cheer em on.
So to me, we are not the ones who missed the opportunity.
Smokin

Excited for the future of Husker Baseball
and to see the beginnings of this new era come this Fall. :Cool:

I don't believe Childress's ego would let him come back to the B1G.
No matter how much money you threw at him, "at this time".
So I don't see a missed opportunity.
Why did Childress have to be the only other option? When I said we had a missed opportunity, I wasn't even thinking about him. I was skeptical of him coming from the very beginning.There are other good D-1 head coaches out there that we could have gotten, and it doesn't look like we even tried. You mentioned Indiana-they didn't get a big name, but they did get a coach with D-1 head coaching experience who had already led a team to the NCAA tournament. That's better than we got. We settled for the safe choice which would please fans regardless of his lack of D-1 head coaching experience. That's the missed opportunity. Of course, that lack of D-I head coaching experience doesn't mean Bolt can't succeed here. But I heard a lot of this same hype about Darin Erstad too despite his lack of coaching experience, and it turned out to be unfounded.

Last edited:
Why did Childress have to be the only other option? When I said we had a missed opportunity, I wasn't even thinking about him. I was skeptical of him coming from the very beginning.There are other good D-1 head coaches out there that we could have gotten, and it doesn't look like we even tried. You mentioned Indiana-they didn't get a big name, but they did get a coach with D-1 head coaching experience who had already led a team to the NCAA tournament. That's better than we got. We settled for the safe choice which would please fans regardless of his lack of D-1 head coaching experience. That's the missed opportunity. Of course, that lack of D-I head coaching experience doesn't mean Bolt can't succeed here. But I heard a lot of this same hype about Darin Erstad too despite his lack of coaching experience, and it turned out to be unfounded.

I would like to know how things went down and how close we were to bringing Childress back. Regardless, I have a hard time believing if they offered someone like Heefner big money that he wouldn't have taken the job.

I'm all in on Bolt, mostly because there's no other option. I do think he will instantly improve the offense and recruiting. That being said, Moos either swung and missed on several guys, or tucked his tail when Childress said no and pretended Bolt was the guy all along.

I would like to know how things went down and how close we were to bringing Childress back. Regardless, I have a hard time believing if they offered someone like Heefner big money that he wouldn't have taken the job.

I'm all in on Bolt, mostly because there's no other option. I do think he will instantly improve the offense and recruiting. That being said, Moos either swung and missed on several guys, or tucked his tail when Childress said no and pretended Bolt was the guy all along.
This is all just speculation on my part, but I really think Moos was really caught off guard by Erstad's resignation and had to scramble to get a replacement. He didn't have any names in mind since he really has little background with college baseball because Oregon didn't even have a team while he was there, and Washington State has little tradition to speak of-his only baseball hire there was fired this year after 4 bad years. I think he decided first to swing for the fences with a big name hire and when that didn't pan out, he didn't want to drag out the process and went with the easy and safe choice and listened to those who were in his ear telling him to hire Bolt.

Reactions: saluno22
Why did Childress have to be the only other option? When I said we had a missed opportunity, I wasn't even thinking about him..

My apologies. I wasn't attacking you. Just offering a different prespective.
But the general consensus was Childress, even when mentioning other candidates, it was still Childress. And Moos likes to please the fan base and their desires, especially in the more public hires. But this time, I believe there was a limit on the credit card. Bolt and staff meet all the criteria, even with the fan base, but especially within the budget of the program. If that means safe choice, I'm with you.

Other candidates?
- If the budget wasn't there for Childress, it certainly wasn't there for Casey.
- I really like Ed C. as the Creighton coach. Want to keep him and the rivalry there.
- Iowa's coach? I bet that mention is sitting well in Iowa City. Great coach for the B1G. Respect him much. Just not high on the fan base wish list.
- There was the former ASU coach, now MLB bench coach, again we're asking someone to take a decrease in pay.
- I can't even remember the other coaching mentions at this time.

I know you and a lot of people are fixated on Moos's mention of D1 coaching experience. I didn't like it, and was completely surprised by that Moos comment the moment I heard it. If he had not made that one comment, we would not be stewing in this conversation, instead of looking at how lucky we are to have what we got.
Sorry Moos, you got to take the fall on that. Still did good. :Cool:

Moos had conversations with Casey and Childress. Childress actually considered it but many close to him wanted him to stay in A&M. Childress also pushed for Bolt along with VanHorn and Erstad. Money was never an issue. Bolt was the only official interview and offer. Other head coaches such as Heller were interested in the job but never interviewed. Bolt also never interviewed any other assistants other than the ones he hired.

These are the only facts I know for sure.

The 2 things that stand out with that, from previous comments.
- "many close to (Childress) wanted him to stay"
That could mean family, administration, players, hunting buddies, non-grumpy fans, or even a combination of all the above. The fact that Robb even answered the phone is awesome! He gave his best reccomendation. He trained his reccomendation for the job in the highest levels in college baseball. He trained his volunteer, our new pitching coach. So this may be the discount version....
- "money was never an issue"
Well good.
Because when this staff does prove itself, they better get paid competitively.
Smokin

The 2 things that stand out with that, from previous comments.
- "many close to (Childress) wanted him to stay"
That could mean family, administration, players, hunting buddies, non-grumpy fans, or even a combination of all the above. The fact that Robb even answered the phone is awesome! He gave his best reccomendation. He trained his reccomendation for the job in the highest levels in college baseball. He trained his volunteer, our new pitching coach. So this may be the discount version....
- "money was never an issue"
Well good.
Because when this staff does prove itself, they better get paid competitively.
Smokin

A lot of A&M fans wanted Bolt gone (if not Childress as well). Bolt getting the NU job is a huge win win for Childress.

Yup, getting Will out of Aggieland bought Childress more time.
Mentioned earlier the possibility of Robb's contract not being renewed.
Oh no, falling down the rabbit hole!
Maybe Erstad stepped down to help out both Bolt and Childress?
In the end, I'm still glad with the smoke and mirrors clearing, that Nebraska gets to continue building on something that started here.

Last edited:
A lot of A&M fans wanted Bolt gone (if not Childress as well). Bolt getting the NU job is a huge win win for Childress.
I’ve talked with A&M fans that are clients. They weren’t that upset with Bolt as some to try to insinuate here.
Also sat next to a gentleman from Oregon at CWS. He said the only place Casey would coach at again, IF he does, is back at Oregon State.

Last edited:
I’ve talked with A&M fans that are clients. They weren’t that upset with Bolt as some to try to insinuate here.
Also say next to a gentleman from Oregon at CWS. He said the only place Casey would coach at again, IF he does, is back at Oregon State.
Yeah, conversation with Casey didn’t last long but still worth the call. They also asked him on his thoughts regarding potential coaches he recommend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT