ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to Rutgers Week

I watched the game and you are correct. Washington should have won that game. Our matchup with Rutgers will be a nail biter I think. But if the same Nebraska team that throttled CU shows up then I think we give Rutgers a spanking. But we need to be more consistent in all phases of our game. If the team that lost to Illinois shows up we will lose
Disagree Illinois game wasn’t a disaster we played well for the most part, played tight in 2nd half and still should’ve won via the TE overthrow or the missed field goal. Illinois played top 10 Penn St very close and I’d bet Illinois turns out better team then Rutgers this year.

Reactions: c3o
Monangai is a stud. Guys like that can tip the game one direction when it’s close.

Nebraska was supposed to have a stud run D, but for whatever reason we have been playing more quarters and base D this year and it’s been pretty leaky.

I’m hoping our DC reverts to old habits and hits you guys with a heavy dose of run blitzes. If we can shut down their running game, I don’t think Kalamazoonakis can beat us.

I’m expecting this to be a one score game and hard fought either way.
There’s no secret as to what we’re going to try to do. Run the ball, take shots downfield, play tough defense. Much respect to your Uber talented quarterback who is still developing and has the potential to be a difference maker.

Fair enough. I feel good about our chances, as our quarterback has already beaten y’all twice, while he was with Minnesota.
Yes, he did. But we have the better quarterback now. Cocky Rutgers fans shouldn't get their hopes up too high.

Monangai is a stud. Guys like that can tip the game one direction when it’s close.

Nebraska was supposed to have a stud run D, but for whatever reason we have been playing more quarters and base D this year and it’s been pretty leaky.

I’m hoping our DC reverts to old habits and hits you guys with a heavy dose of run blitzes. If we can shut down their running game, I don’t think Kalamazoonakis can beat us.

I’m expecting this to be a one score game and hard fought either way.
Do you forget that quarterback came in 2nd half last time Minnesota played in Lincoln and lead his team to victory?

Kaliakmanas has led his team to victory in memorial stadium 2 years ago. Was the backup, starter got hurt late first half and Minny wasn’t doing crap. 2nd half Kaliakmanas torched Nebraska and got the win.

Reactions: rutgersal and GaRed
My son in law is a huge Rutgers fan and has season tickets. And since I live in PA I have been to a fair share of Rutger's games with him and my daughter. I have seen some really awful Rutgers teams. This is not one of them. This is a good team and solid in every way. I think Rutgers is very, very capable of beating Nebraska. I think they probably will. But if the Nebraska defense can stop the Rutgers running game we will win. If we don't then Rutgers will win.
Anybody we play can beat us , that's been proven. I still haven't seen anything that has changed my mind that this is a average Husker team at best.

Our team and fans need to act like it’s Colorado or Oklahoma or Miami we are playing against. The effort and environment is so much better. We can stomp Rutgers if we do that, instead of showing up and acting ho hum, facing another boring Big Ten opponent. I’d say Nebraska by 14-21 points if it’s high level intensity.

Rutgers, coming off a hard fought 21-18 victory over Washington, is well positioned for success.

Kyle Monangai is our primary running back and has been mentioned as a possible Heisman Candidate. He is supported by Sam Brown, who is a bruiser. Monangai had 132 rushing yards vs Washington and Brown had 44 yards rushing with a 37 yard burst for a touchdown.

The OL and running back are the heart and soul of this team. LT #72 Hollín Pierce is an All American Candidate. LG #65 Felter is an All Conference Candidate as is C Zilinskas. Not a coincidence that our biggest runs have been towards the left side of the line or up the middle. RG Kobe Asamosh has played some, but is going to need time to acclimate, but will be a good player someday. RT Robert Needham is a Monster Right Tackle, who has bolstered our run game, while providing better pass protection.

The quarterback, Athan Kaliakmanis, is capable of throwing accurately and making the easy throws. I’m looking for a 58% completion percentage from him with 20TDs and 7 ints. Thus far, he is over 60%.

He will be supported by an exceptionally talented WR Corp. Dymere Miller is a true WR1, is fast and has exceptional hands. Ian Strong is a future Superstar, capable of dominating opposing DBs. Chris Long has had issue with injuries, but has demonstrated big play ability when healthy. 6’6” Korey Duff is a True Freshman acclimating to this level of play.

TE Kenny Fletcher will be the primary tight end, and has been productive, leading all receivers with 16 receptions. The rest of the tight ends are a question mark, but hopefully some emerge. Konopka has been used in situations where a 2nd TE was needed.

Rutgers Defense has limited opponents scoring to 23 points or fewer.

Malcolm Ray is the Nose Tackle, and he is backed up by 315 lb NT Zaire Angoy, anchoring the middle of the defensive line. Ray is complemented by future NFL starter, DT Kyonte Hamilton. They are sandwiched by a pair of All American potential Ends in Aaron Lewis and Wesley Bailey.

The Linebackers are the heart and soul of the defense. Tyreem Powell is an All American and Butkus award Candidate. Lost to injury is Mohamed Toure, who was very productive last year. He is replaced by Dariel Djabome. Desmond Igbinosun plays a hybrid LB-DB position and was exceptionally productive last year, with 64 tackles and 6.5 tfl.

The secondary could also be the nations best, with Flip Dixon and Shaquan Loyal vying for All American honors. As will Robert Longerbeam, who has slowly but surely built himself into one of the best DBs in the game. The other CB is Eric Rogers, who has played very well this year. Bo Mascoe is the nickel back.

Jai Patel is the Kicker and Jakob Anderson is the Punter.

Last year, we had too many deficiencies. This year, there are few, if any. Looking forward to our game Saturday.
Yeah they’re pretty stellar beating Howard and Akron, barely squeaking by VT and Washington.

Reactions: scarletred
Do you forget that quarterback came in 2nd half last time Minnesota played in Lincoln and lead his team to victory?
I remember Mo Ibrahim and Chris Autman Bell torching us. The QB was alright, but was not our biggest problem. This D is also exponentially better than our 22 defense.

I’m not saying we can’t or even won’t lose. Just not that the QB is who I’m at all worried about.

Our team and fans need to act like it’s Colorado or Oklahoma or Miami we are playing against. The effort and environment is so much better. We can stomp Rutgers if we do that, instead of showing up and acting ho hum, facing another boring Big Ten opponent. I’d say Nebraska by 14-21 points if it’s high level intensity.
Agree. I seem to remember Osborne used to preach respect for our opponents. I don't think it is helpful to say everyone we play sucks. It may seem like a winner's mentality because it reflects a high standard and maybe confidence, but when put into practice it leads to taking opponents lightly, being caught off guard, playing down to opponents, lower motivation, lack of enjoyment in victory, and overall more losing. This is why it is extremely rare to hear this mentality from winners.

Reactions: Zeke2005
I remember Mo Ibrahim and Chris Autman Bell torching us. The QB was alright, but was not our biggest problem. This D is also exponentially better than our 22 defense.

I’m not saying we can’t or even won’t lose. Just not that the QB is who I’m at all worried about.
The first half I think Minny had 6 points of their starter had stayed in we would have won.

Schiano is a great coach and had it not been for a mob of idiots he would be coaching at a much better program. Rutgers got a steal when he came back.
Agreed, and it was obvious what Vol fans were doing. They wanted Gruden at the time and cynically used anything they could to sabotage the Schiano hire. Then they were served a nice dose of karma when they ended up with Jeremy “Bagman” Pruitt, who had trouble stringing two words together when he wasn’t busy yanking players around by their face masks or handing Happy Meal boxes filled with cash to recruits. If Eichorst was Alvarez’s plant sent to sabotage Nebraska, Pruitt was Saban’s for Tennessee.

Of course, they’re sitting pretty now, so karma must have an expiration date.

Do you guys have a Big Ten rival and or old rival?
We’re Little Brother to Penn State. We show up to the game and they beat our ***. Don’t play them this year, but get them next year. We should be more competitive with them next year, than we ever have been. Only beaten them twice in our history. Last time was 1988.

We’re Little Brother to Penn State. We show up to the game and they beat our ***. Don’t play them this year, but get them next year. We should be more competitive with them next year, than we ever have been. Only beaten them twice in our history. Last time was 1988.
I’ll applaud your faithful fandom of Rutgers. After the last 10 years I can appreciate what that must be like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT