ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome aboard Mr. Torres

I think the positive here is that Frost has demonstrated a willingness to alter his QB strategy (ie., recruiting a different type of QB than say McCaffrey was). The old strategy wasn't working. But yes it remains to be seen if the new strategy works but at least he is trying something.
completely agree with this

Seems very similar to Haarberg.
I agree, I see a big tall guy who can see over our giant O-line and zing it down the field, a shift from the super athletic runner who can MAYBE pass a little, These two big guys should be able to scramble out of trouble, but not runners which is fine by me.
Smothers enters the portal next year.

I think the positive here is that Frost has demonstrated a willingness to alter his QB strategy (ie., recruiting a different type of QB than say McCaffrey was). The old strategy wasn't working. But yes it remains to be seen if the new strategy works but at least he is trying something.

Thank god…who woulda thunk that recruiting prospects thats can’t complete a 10 yard pass wouldn’t work out? TBD on Torres.

But hopefully Frost but the Kibosh on Verduzco’s philosophy of recruiting athletes first at QB and then going from there.

hence my post. he was good against us & rivaled AM in the W/L department everywhere else.

he also wasn't drafted, he signed as an UDFA & spent last year on the practice squad in washington, the team with probably the worst QB situation in all of pro football.

as I said many times prior to him beating us twice, Montez sucks.
i hope torres is thick-skined. i wonder what martinez and torres talked about.

hence my post. he was good against us & rivaled AM in the W/L department everywhere else.

he also wasn't drafted, he signed as an UDFA & spent last year on the practice squad in washington, the team with probably the worst QB situation in all of pro football.

as I said many times prior to him beating us twice, Montez sucks.
Ah, you are correct on his drafting. My bad. I guess I'm a victim of watching our opponents beat us, and then thinking that means they're good players. That theorem used to be valid. 🙁

Thank god…who woulda thunk that recruiting prospects thats can’t complete a 10 yard pass wouldn’t work out? TBD on Torres.

But hopefully Frost but the Kibosh on Verduzco’s philosophy of recruiting athletes first at QB and then going from there.
It wasn't Verduzco's doing, it was Frost himsef. Frost calls those shots and Verduzco just carried out Frost's wishes. No QB was ever recruited under Frost without Frost having a heavy hand in the decision.

Not that stars are everything but any idea why he's rated only a 5.5 and didn't have more offers? He seems to have the physical dimensions for QB and I thought he was supposed to be a good passer.
Best to not ask questions if we don't want to know the honest answer.

• Haha
Reactions: Husker_AMG63
we accounted for 10% of his career wins in his 4 years as a starter at CU

he won exactly 5 games every season & never played in a bowl

pretty sure we already have a guy exactly like him under center
I liked Montez. I thought he was going to be pretty good and get drafted by the 4th or 5th round. Admittedly, I don't think I saw him against anyone else.

Reactions: otismotis08
I was hoping for the kid out of Hawaii as he looks like he is much faster at reads and gets rid of the ball faster. This kid is in shotgun and takes another 7 step drop and then waits forever to pass the ball. A lot of development needs to happen here. Good luck to the kid. I hope he is everything the coaches hope for.

Haarberg appears to be much more athletic, whereas Torres seems to fit the mold of a traditional pro style / pocket passer QB.

Our coaches seem to have pivoted pretty significantly in the types of players they are now recruiting - originally it was all about speed and now it's heavily centered around size.

What this team desperately needs is an elite level running back.

Torres seems pretty mobile and athletic, for a kid his size. I like this shift, big kids with big arms with some athleticism, over athletes playing QB.

Last edited:
I was hoping for the kid out of Hawaii as he looks like he is much faster at reads and gets rid of the ball faster. This kid is in shotgun and takes another 7 step drop and then waits forever to pass the ball. A lot of development needs to happen here. Good luck to the kid. I hope he is everything the coaches hope for.
Isn't the problem that the Hawaii kid has an injury history?

I agree, I see a big tall guy who can see over our giant O-line and zing it down the field, a shift from the super athletic runner who can MAYBE pass a little, These two big guys should be able to scramble out of trouble, but not runners which is fine by me.
Smothers enters the portal next year.
Haarberg being a capable passer doesnt make him not a runner. Dude could run all day if asked to do so. Let's hope those days are soon behind us.

Kid strikes me as another Haarberg. Super tall, has some tools but a bunch of bad habits, will have a big learning curve at the college level.

Not impressed with him as a runner.

Zane Flores

Well, maybe Frost and Verduzco figured it out that they need a QB with enough arm strength to be able to pass in windy conditions at Nebraska. But of course him being a quick thinker and an accurate passer is critical. Don't know how he is on those two criteria.
Don't think he is on a good HS team and supporting cast (. Definitely needs work on quicker release and reading plays.

I remember watching a few CU games and being impressed by Montez.
I remember reading thousands of posts here and thinking your ID was one of the three best ever on this board.

JawbreakingSafetyPlay and MajorTomFoolery are the other two.

I live near DC and have hoped to see Montez on TV for the WFT. No luck yet. We get all the WFT games on TV.

If his arm is so strong why are all the receivers having to stop and wait for the ball?
He takes forever to decide and throw. His receivers are slow and don't get open. His OL isn't any good so he drops back way too much. Solid physical skill set with big arm and speed but needs major work to improve QB technical skills. Hopefully Harry Potter will work with him.:oops:

Jay Moore suggested that maybe instead of a change in the type of QB they are looking for, it may only be that Torres was the best QB that they could still get. Regardless, I like getting his commitment. He was NU's #1 QB recruit of the ones who were still available and interested. He's not quick or fast, but can run. He'll have the height to see over and around the tall offensive linemen that we are stockpiling.

He reminds me of Patrick O'Brien, who came to Nebraska with similar traits.

Jay Moore suggested that maybe instead of a change in the type of QB they are looking for, it may only be that Torres was the best QB that they could still get. Regardless, I like getting his commitment. He was NU's #1 QB recruit of the ones who were still available and interested. He's not quick or fast, but can run. He'll have the height to see over and around the tall offensive linemen that we are stockpiling.

Mariota was a very capable runner but he was a very good passer as well, Milton, very good passer, not a huge arm but very accurate and he was very decisive with his throws. The guys he is bringing in now are more like those guys than they are McCaffrey and Smothers, both of those dudes are/ were much better runners than passers in high school.

I think Martinez was more in line with Milton and Mariota, but the arm injuries are adding up. He isn't decisive when he throws the ball. His accuracy is inconsistent and he needs to see the open receiver and doesn't appear able to throw a receiver open.

It is 7 on 7 season down here, the state tournament is next weekend. The high school coaches can't coach the teams so they depend on parents and volunteers to run it. So the HS coaches for the teams sit at the back of the end zone to watch the games. I was watching some games last weekend and listening to the coaches is so interesting I heard a comment from a QB coach that made me think about Adrian Martinez. In this particular situation, the receiver had his guy beat by a step on a go route down the sideline. The defender was a bit taller and was inside the receiver and the QB didn't throw the ball there, instead went with a shorter route. The coach said, "damn it. He just won't throw the ball if he can't see him". I have seen Martinez do similar things. The coach seemed to think it was a trust issue, maybe with the receiver, maybe arm strength.

Mariota was a very capable runner but he was a very good passer as well, Milton, very good passer, not a huge arm but very accurate and he was very decisive with his throws. The guys he is bringing in now are more like those guys than they are McCaffrey and Smothers, both of those dudes are/ were much better runners than passers in high school.

I think Martinez was more in line with Milton and Mariota, but the arm injuries are adding up. He isn't decisive when he throws the ball. His accuracy is inconsistent and he needs to see the open receiver and doesn't appear able to throw a receiver open.

It is 7 on 7 season down here, the state tournament is next weekend. The high school coaches can't coach the teams so they depend on parents and volunteers to run it. So the HS coaches for the teams sit at the back of the end zone to watch the games. I was watching some games last weekend and listening to the coaches is so interesting I heard a comment from a QB coach that made me think about Adrian Martinez. In this particular situation, the receiver had his guy beat by a step on a go route down the sideline. The defender was a bit taller and was inside the receiver and the QB didn't throw the ball there, instead went with a shorter route. The coach said, "damn it. He just won't throw the ball if he can't see him". I have seen Martinez do similar things. The coach seemed to think it was a trust issue, maybe with the receiver, maybe arm strength.
I feel like frost wasted a few years in not getting the right kind of quarterbacks into the system early. Martinez was sort of in terms of physical traits. I really do wonder about smothers and McCaffrey though. We know McCaffrey was a major whiff. Not encouraged by what we have seen from smothers so far.

Reactions: headcard

I think that they choose Torres over the higher ranked (but shorter) Morris which to me indicates an alteration in QB philosophy.

Torres seems pretty mobile and athletic, for a kid his size. I like this shift, big kids with big arms with some athleticism, over athletes playing QB.

It's hard to glean much from that highlight film...it's all clips of him just YOLOing the ball 40 yards downfield up for grabs. I'd like to see some clips of him making shorter passes into tight windows, to gauge his accuracy.

I hope so. I hate to harp on it, but what we’ve seen the last 3 years does not resemble Frost’s past offenses.
Of course ultimately it's a wait and see thing since past production in an NU jersey is meager, but I see a pretty deep room and evidence of at least a couple of gym rat types. RB depth when Frost got there was meager and Frost rode with a couple of head cases early before Zig got going. It's looking very much like the only meaningful yardage provided by the first two years of Frost RB recruiting will be Mo.

I think that they choose Torres over the higher ranked (but shorter) Morris which to me indicates an alteration in QB philosophy.
Luke had a tough time seeing over our O line. It led to at least one interception.

Jay Moore has been less than complimentary of our offensive staff. He's in a "show me" frame of mind. I don't think he's capable of giving a good assessment of a QB recruit. This kid has the size, arm and mobility you want in a starting QB. We have no way of knowing if he has the mental traits one needs but I think he fits the mold.

Well he's apparently had decent performances at a few camps. That usually outweighs whatever recruiting service previously thought. It's a myth that most big time schools only rely on the evaluation of recruiting services. Usually it's the other way around. Recruiting services often adjust their ratings based on how many offers and from whom.

I think the 5.5 might reflect him being more an unknown to the recruiting services.
I was listening to a recruiting analyst on the radio today and he was sure that he'll get bumped up based on his camps this summer, offer list and his play this fall.

I was listening to a recruiting analyst on the radio today and he was sure that he'll get bumped up based on his camps this summer, offer list and his play this fall.
Barring any injury, that's exactly what I would expect to happen.

Barring any injury, that's exactly what I would expect to happen.
If a kid is already committed, why should we care if a keyboard talent scout changes his rating from a 5.5 to a 5.7? If a kid shows noticeable improvement, that's the only thing that matters.

Reactions: dinglefritz
It's hard to glean much from that highlight film...it's all clips of him just YOLOing the ball 40 yards downfield up for grabs. I'd like to see some clips of him making shorter passes into tight windows, to gauge his accuracy.
Don't worry, Coach V will dial him in.

• Wow
Reactions: scarletred
If a kid is already committed, why should we care if a keyboard talent scout changes his rating from a 5.5 to a 5.7? If a kid shows noticeable improvement, that's the only thing that matters.
If you care about where the team lands in the recruiting rankings you do. We've been a top 25 recruiting team since like forever, not that has translated into wins much in the past 6 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT